• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Roast a Sacred Cow

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
drohne said:
hang on, pinball land is excellent -- but yeah, i guess smash bros is enough of a black mark to blot out any developer's accomplishments
Is a mod playing some cruel trick on me, or did I forget the not.

i think the Uncharted series has horrendeous dialogue (forced "witty banter" with lowest common denominator humor ughh) and a completely unoriginal storyline (both games). not to mention one of the most one-dimensional and uninteresting main characters ever. really my most disliked popular new IP this gen, slightly worse than even Gears of War.

Celine

Despite being a darling around here, I don't like The World End With You.
The game has great and diverse music, good design ( never liked Nomura design but it fit in this game ), many fresh new ideas in a often stale genre and likable characters and story overall.
It's just that it focus some much on the combat system and on the customization while lacking on the adventure side that is very important for me.
Also while I applaud the various new ideas put in it the game always push the game to learn new things because it changes costantly and for me that was too much.

While classic I enjoyed DQ remakes way more than Jupiter effort.

tiff

Banned
I don't have much love for many of gaming's sacred cows nowadays, but I think I'd rather discuss my misgivings in a thread conductive to discussion rather than just throw them on a pile of hate.

Then again, this is a good opportunity to pinpoint exactly what I dislike about Bioshock or Uncharted 2, which could be enlightening. And therapeutic.

1.) I have no fucking clue what you people see in the Mother series.

2.) I have never liked a single Rare game. Not a single one.

3.) I have no respect for people who call shooters "shumps." It's like a trigger that causes me to instantly disregard the opinion of any gaming writer of any stature, from NeoGAF poster to esteemed gaming journalist/blogger. And no, "shoot-em-ups" is not acceptable either.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
minor effort said:
2.) I have never liked a single Rare game. Not a single one.

If you haven't tried it, try Blast Corps. It's very un-Rare in the sense that it lacks their typical character design and the stage/mission design is very distinct from other Rare games. No guarantee you'll like it, of course, but I'm just saying that I could easily see someone disliking the vast majority of what Rare makes and still liking BC.

ijed

Minecraft has shitty grafx, no story, written in Java, still in beta and some crazy Swede is rolling in cash over it and it's all thanks to Gaf hype. wtf were you guys thinking?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Gran Turismo hasn't evolved aside from pretty graphics, and even then, the graphics could have been better. I called it when I said that Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit would be the better game, hence the tag, and you know what, NFS was the better racing game in 2010.

Want a real racing sim? iRacing.com and Live For Speed says hi. Don't have a high-quality gaming PC to play those? Shift 2 Unleashed and Forza Motorsport 4 are around the corner.

Also, I don't understand what you guys see in Kingdom Hearts, but that's another story.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Uncharted 1:
-Horrible combat
-Horrible "platforming"
-Horrible "puzzles"
-Banter is rarely even amusing
-Super generic story decently executed
-Nolan fucking North

Uncharted 2:
-Horrible "platforming"
-Horrible "puzzles"
-Nolan fucking North

Resistance
-Drab environments
-Uncreative as fuck
-Super generic art style

Killzone 2
-Oh wait, this isn't a sacred cow, everyone nows the singleplayer is a horribly paced piece of shit

I looked through my 360 games and none of them are really sacred cow status :(

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Drkirby said:
Is a mod playing some cruel trick on me, or did I forget the not.

IT'S THE TRUTH PLAYING A CRUEL TRICK ON YOU

minor effort said:
3.) I have no respect for people who call shooters "shumps." It's like a trigger that causes me to instantly disregard the opinion of any gaming writer of any stature, from NeoGAF poster to esteemed gaming journalist/blogger. And no, "shoot-em-ups" is not acceptable either.

then suggest an alternate way of immediately conveying that you mean something like r-type, as opposed to something like contra or virtua cop or doom. so many totally disparate genres involve shooting that 'shooter' is hopelessly vague, and would now suggest call of duty to most people

incidentally it's 'shmup,' not 'shump' -- i have no particular fondness for the word, but it's the accepted label for a thing that needs labeling

Stumpokapow said:
If you haven't tried it, try Blast Corps. It's very un-Rare in the sense that it lacks their typical character design and the stage/mission design is very distinct from other Rare games. No guarantee you'll like it, of course, but I'm just saying that I could easily see someone disliking the vast majority of what Rare makes and still liking BC.

I remember renting it once back in the 90s, and there were aspects of it I found interesting, but it didn't really become something I remembered too strongly over the years. I'll keep in mind to give a second chance to sometime, though.

I should clarify if my comment on Rare sounded harsh. I don't think their games are uniformly terrible, but I've never really found a game of theirs I really, truly liked. Even Donkey Kong Country 2.

Mass Effect 2

It has great graphics, an interesting setting and very good characters. But other than that, it´s not more than just "good".

The gameplay in the battles is good, but lacks challenge and the missions have little or no variety at all. The last boss was a complete joke, the collectors is a much worse enemy than the geth, and it has way to many "Remember, I´m just a game!" moments to work well as a story driven game.

*When you enter a room or a corridor, the layout of the obstacles always tell you what to expect.
*You always get ammo for your larger weapons before an enemy that you will need them against appears, which only works a spoiler for such moments.
*Why are there weapon lockers with my weapons in them, in far away places?
*No matter what the mission says it´s about, you will always just end up running down a corridor (in 25 hours with the game, I found two missions that was an exception to this rule).
*Etc.

bengraven

I hate the game you love. You know that game you truly think is the best game on any system? I fucking hate it.

ijed said:
Minecraft has shitty grafx, no story, written in Java, still in beta and some crazy Swede is rolling in cash over it and it's all thanks to Gaf hype. wtf were you guys thinking?

I...can't even respond to this.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Stumpokapow said:

Blast Corps was literally the game that sold me on an N64, and I stand by it being Rare's most original and interesting game. The formula was great and could really do with a current gen evolution.

MNC

EatChildren said:
Half-Life 2 sucks.

[IM]http://www.abload.de/img/gordon-pedik25oic.jpg[/IMG]

Why do people think it doesn't suck?

* Critical acclaim: Half-Life, it's expansions, Half-Life 2, its episodes, and everything Valve makes not only have crazy high Metacritic averages, but are respected and admired by gaming journalists across all corners of the Earth.

* VALVE VALVE VALVE: Fanboys circle jerk over everything Valve does. They could release a steaming turd (pun intended) and people would still buy it. Everybody loves Valve and everything they do, for some reason.

*Art: Apparently ripping off War of the Worlds and 1984 constitutes as good world building and art.

Why does it suck?

* Gordon sucks
[IG]http://gamernode.com/upload/manager/Eddie%20Inzauto/is%20silence%20golden/gordon.jpg[/IMG]

No personality traits at all. In fact, no personality. Not only does Gordon never speak, but he is never shown in epic cinematic filmclips. Where are his one liners? Why doesn't he hit on Alyx (ugly anyway). If he were dark brooding and angry then maybe he'd be awesome but as it is he might as well not exist at all. Plus you cant see his legs seriously what is with that???!!!

* GUNPLAY IS LAMMMMEEEEE
[IM]http://www.abload.de/img/gravity_gunks1y.jpg[/IMG]

Um excuse me but this isn't a gun. Its a glorified trolly. Its something old people would use to carry grocaries. Its boring because it doesnt shoot bullets, and its supposed to be the best weapon? Sorry NOPE. Also all the other guns suck because they dont have iron sights and only one of them has a grenade launcher. Also it needs a gattling gun. And a sniper rocket launcher or something.

* Ugly females
[IM]http://www.abload.de/img/946119-alyx_super4q0t.jpg[/IMG]

I can only play games with hot babes and Half-Life 2 IS NOT ONE OF THEM. Alyx is the ugliest female in gaming since Link and even though I've tried to fap to her I cant. Also she keeps talking and wont shut up. Maybe if she would shut up then I would like her more but probably not. If they made her look like the screenshot I posted then maybe I could get it up but she'd still need a bag over that face.

* All hats, no substance.
[IM]http://www.abload.de/img/soldier_vikinggq4d.jpg[/IMG]

The Orange Tub or whatever it is called had some half-life game called Team Fortress and it didnt make any sense. I didnt understand how it fit into the half life world. Why are these red and blue guys fighting each other why does it look like a kiddie game? It had too many hats and I couldnt get them all. That chick in the gas mask was pretty hot tho.

* Portal blocks.
[IG]http://www.abload.de/img/portal0ogl.jpg[/IMG]

The Orange Tub had this other game called Portals and it was even MORE BORING THAN HALF LIFE 2. All you did was make holes in the wall and jump through them to solve puzzles. BOOOOOORRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIING. I played the whole thing (it was like thirty minutes long, RIP OFF) and not once did you get a machine gun or fight any terrorist. 0/10.

* Valve hates PlayStation 3(tm)
[IM]http://www.abload.de/img/angrygabe1suw.jpg[/IMG]

Gabe Newegg said that Sony make terrible consoles and that the PlayStation 3 is the WORST system ever and that he wont make ANY games well FUCK YOU GABE NOBODY!!! Valve games SUCK they are TERRIBLE and will never be as good as Infinity War and Treyarch's CALL OF DUTY or the PS TRIPPLE megahits like GOD OF WAR and KILLZONE. All your games have stupid names like Half Life. Half a life HAHAHAHA nowhere near as cool as KILLZONE. Zone of killing Vs. half a life. You tell me which is better?

* Half-life 2 has the crappest graphics ever
[IM]http://www.abload.de/img/955438597-1kfzd.jpg[/IMG]

If it wasn't you, I would've almost believed this :p

drohne said:
IT'S THE TRUTH PLAYING A CRUEL TRICK ON YOU

suggest an alternate way of immediately conveying that you mean something like r-type, as opposed to something like contra or virtua cop or doom. so many totally disparate genres involve shooting that 'shooter' is hopelessly vague, and would now suggest call of duty to most people

incidentally it's 'shmup,' not 'shump' -- i have no particular fondness for the word, but it serves a purpose

Yeah, I know it's "shmup". The above was a typo. The only reason I'm posting in this thread is because I'm working on my second bottle of wine for the night.

"Shmup" just sounds like such a clumsy, ugly, quirky name for an elegant genre, best suited for people who write sentences like "I'M A HARDCORE GAMER AND I LOVES ME SOME RETRO OLD-SCHOOL SHMUP GOODNESS."

I guess I'm defensive of the term shooter because it 2D shooters have sort of an originalist stake on the genre name. It just seems lazy that the term "first-person shooter" got truncated to just simply "shooter" at the expense of a preexisting genre.

I feel like such an moron for even arguing this, but here I am. Everyone is entitled to misspend their Saturday nights.

obonicus

Are you kidding me? Every single positive thread on GAF turns into 'what you like sucks', do you really need a thread dedicated to it?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Every game you like is worthless shit, every game I like is the best thing ever.

Also, I don't really get the insane love for Nintendo's first party. I grew up with both the NES and the Master System, but I was always a Sega/Sonic fan, and never really cared much for Nintendo's first party stuff besides the first three SMB games. Fast forward to 2011, and SMB1-3 and SMG are still more or less the only first-party games by Nintendo I care about (haven't played SMG2). Stuff like Metroid, Zelda, Super Mario World.. meh. Don't care. They're obviously well-made games, but I don't really 'get' what it is that makes people go absolutely gaga whenever Nintendo announces yet another Zelda game.

Although I shouldn't complain too much, considering I'm a rabid God of War fan, and GAF seems to hate the franchise

Amir0x

Banned
Stumpokapow said:

I do!

It's pretty much the only good RARE game. Blast Corps :rock:

Rolf NB

I have played through Halo: CE. The entire thing. At my own place, on my own PC. Bought new with my own money. I know everything about it. That is all.

Sotha Sil

Stallion Free said:
Uncharted 1:
-Horrible combat
-Horrible "platforming"
-Horrible "puzzles"
-Nolan fucking North

Uncharted 2:
-Horrible "platforming"
-Horrible "puzzles"
-Nolan fucking North

Resistance
-Drab environments
-Uncreative as fuck
-Super generic art style

Killzone 2
-Oh wait, this isn't a sacred cow, everyone nows the singleplayer is a horribly paced piece of shit

Truth. All of it.

Cool, a free pass to troll!

team-fortress-2-b.jpg

1- Team Fortress 2
Really?

2- 2 fucking fort
motivatororange1do2.jpg

3- Heavy lines are NOT fucking funny.

4- You have got to be fucking shitting me...
7BVpL.png

5 - No, I don't fucking want to download <headshot sound nº423.wav> before I play.

6- Gameplay just isn't fun at all and quite unbalanced in some areas.

7- Seems that nobody gives a shit about the actual objectives.

8- Some other shit I don't remember.

Dennis

Banned
Sotha Sil said:
Truth. All of it.
Yes, the Uncharted series is the most overrated franchise of all time. OF ALL TIME.

Simplistic cover shooter with graphics that impress only those without a gaming PC.

Coxswain

Planescape: Torment does to gameplay what Star Ocean 4 does to storytelling. Now roll your tongue around in your mouth until you can taste how accurate that parallel is.

DennisK4 said:
Yes, the Uncharted series is the most overrated franchise of all time. OF ALL TIME.

Simplistic cover shooter with graphics that impress only those without a gaming PC.
I got a gaming PC and it still impressed me quit alot... And I figured that someone who gets impressed by The Two Worlds would be impressed easily lol.

Rolf NB

DennisK4 said:

You have a Mass Effect related avatar.

V_Ben

Banned
Well... here goes;

Final Fantasy 7

Ffviibox.jpg

Why it's loved;
Critical Acclaim - the game has a ludicrous amount of positive scores, with 9.5's and 10's being the norm.

It was the first 3D Final Fantasy - people like shiny new things, and this game delivered on that in spades.

It had "memorable" characters - sure, the main thing people remember is some flowery bint dying, but apparently the game's cast of characters were pretty good.

Why it sucks;

It was the first 3D Final Fantasy - With the 3D, came a desire to show off every bloody area of the game. The animations in battle are painfully slow, and unskippable animations mean that I have to watch cloud twirl his sword at the end of EVERY BATTLE, regardless to whether I want to or not. It's flashy, but after the first couple of bright sparks comes a desire to just turn off the f*cking lights.

The characters are terrible - seriously, look at this magical bunch of twats;

FFVIInomuracastdesigns.JPG

Let's look at each of them. Not too closely, mind you.

Red XIII - a pissed off clifford for all intents and purposes, he was experimented on by Shinra scientists. Effectively, he's the cowardly lion in this wizard of oz story.

Yuffie - a thief and a ninja. As an optional playable character, she doesn't really serve much of a purpose? Why include her then?

Vincent Valentine - oh good, an immortal. With a dark past. Yawn.

Cid Highwind - well, you have to have an airship, right? And who better to fly it than the guy with the name Square feels obliged to shove it into every entry in this series. Bonus point for crazy: He wanted to be the first man in outer space. A f*cking 8 year old then.

Tifa Lockhart - gotta give creeps something to fap over, right? Of course, she's a childhood friend of Clouds. That way, we have somebody with hidden feelings for the main character, and some unrequited love chucked into the mix. Oh, the humanity!

Barret Wallace - Mr. T with a gun arm

Cat Sith - something to make a toy out of. A robot cat riding on a moogle doll. In the a game with ridiculous characters, this one takes the prize. Bonus - dies, but a second identical one comes along to take its place. How convenient.

Cloud Strife - ooh, they put "Strife" in his name! He's always fighting, be it with himself, or with his effeminate counterpart. Carries a ludicrously large sword to make up for his painfully dull personality. Apparently he's "unsociable". I just think he's dull.

Aeris Gainsborough - ignoring the HORRIBLE last name, here's a flower girl that dies. I find it interesting that the most memorable characters in Final Fantasy 7 are the ones that die (Zack too applies here). Would Aerith be just as interesting if she had stayed alive?

No.

Well, there you have it. I had fun doing that :p

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Metalmurphy said:
I got a gaming PC and it still impressed me quit alot... And I figured that someone who gets impressed by The Two Worlds would be impressed easily lol.
I have a gaming PC and Uncharted 2 was only impressive if I ignored what I have seen on PC and put on my PS3 vision.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
minor effort said:
Yeah, I know it's "shmup". The above was a typo. The only reason I'm posting in this thread is because I'm working on my second bottle of wine for the night.

"Shmup" just sounds like such a clumsy, ugly, quirky name for an elegant genre, best suited for people who write sentences like "I'M A HARDCORE GAMER AND I LOVES ME SOME RETRO OLD-SCHOOL SHMUP GOODNESS."

I guess I'm defensive of the term shooter because it 2D shooters have sort of an originalist stake on the genre name. It just seems lazy that the term "first-person shooter" got truncated to just simply "shooter" at the expense of a preexisting genre.

I feel like such an moron for even arguing this, but here I am. Everyone is entitled to misspend their Saturday nights.

i think the word 'shmup' originates from some british commodore 64 magazine, and was of course popularized by shmups.com -- i think the weirdness of the word works in its favor, because you can give it a narrow and somewhat arbitrary definition and nobody will really argue about it. you can start a 'shmup appreciation thread' and there won't be much debate about what a shmup is, whereas a '2d shooter appreciation thread' would inevitably be full of indignant contra fans

aristotle

This topic is much better when Game Informer does it; which they do on a fairly annual basis. The original post seems like it's just copied from their articles (I'm not saying this is). Sorry.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Stallion Free said:
I have a gaming PC and Uncharted 2 was only impressive if I ignored what I have seen on PC and put on my PS3 vision.

Nah. I do most of my gaming on PC, but Uncharted 2 still has some gorgeous rendering and art. Great use of shaders and some amazing textures, as well as what I'm pretty sure was SSAO.

That being said, because I'm a PC gamer I still couldn't help but think "This game really needs some better texture/shadow filtering, LOD distance, and a higher resolution" :p.

Rolf NB

drohne said:
i think the word 'shmup' originates from some british commodore 64 magazine, and was of course popularized by shmups.com -- i think the weirdness of the word works in its favor, because you can give it a narrow and somewhat arbitrary definition and nobody will really argue about it. you can start a 'shmup appreciation thread' and there won't be much debate about what a shmup is, whereas a '2d shooter appreciation thread' would inevitably be full of indignant contra fans
It's a contraction of shoot'em'up. Please tell me you knew this.

Corto

ijed said:

Tienes huevos grandes!

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Come to think of it, I don't get the love for Diablo II either. So. Goddamn. Boring. The entire game consists of click click click click click click click click click click click. Fuck this, I'll have more fun fapping to Excel spreadsheets.

Stallion Free said:

Do let me know when you see a PC game with as much texture variety, and the way they all "click" together, in a single area as U2. Good graphics isn't just resolution and SSAA.

Don't even need to mention the animations.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
EatChildren said:
That being said, because I'm a PC gamer I still couldn't help but think "This game really needs some better texture/shadow filtering, LOD distance, and a higher resolution" :p.
Exactly. Oh and the offensively shit FMV encodes. I mean that stuff should have been real time and just throw in some loading screens.

I´m mostly a PC game and I´m very impressed with Uncharted graphics. It´s the gameplay that doesn´t impress me. The demo of Uncharted 2 felt like playing a modern version of the Rebel Assault games.

Is MAG a Sacred Cow? I wanna troll that :/

Stallion Free said:
Exactly. Oh and the offensively shit FMV encodes. I mean that stuff should have been real time and just throw in some loading screens.
So you could complain about the slow load times?

Top Bottom