• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
19466196261_5309ea4c76_o.png

by Coolcole93, BShadowJ and NicolajNN

Developer/Publisher: Psyonix
Platforms: PC (Steam), PS4 (Playstation Store)
Release Date: July 7th (Worldwide)
Price: $19.99/19.99€/£14.99/FREE on PS+ for July

System Requirements:
Minimum:
  • Processor: 2.0 GHz Dual core
  • Memory: 2 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Nvidia 8800 or ATI 2900
  • DirectX: Version 9.0c
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection
  • Hard Drive: 2 GB available space
Recommended:
  • Processor: 2.0+ GHz Quad core
  • Memory: 4 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Nvidia 260 series or ATI 5850 or better
  • DirectX: Version 9.0c
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection
  • Hard Drive: 2 GB available space
  • Additional Notes: Gamepad or Controller Recommended

19252170918_c33560a96d_o.png

Soccer with cars finally makes its triumphant return in Rocket League: the long awaited sequel to the 2008 cult classic PS3 game Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars!

The game throws up to 8 cars at once into a 100% physics based game of SOCCER
(real name: football)
. Beyond doing everything you can to boost, dodge or bundle the ball into the back of the other team’s net, there are no rules, no yellow cards, and no bloody diving.

Customize your car with 150+ items and compete in 1v1 up to 4v4 matches, online or offline, featuring up to 4 player splitscreen, PC and PS4 cross-platform multiplayer, and full bot support.

Best of all? It’s FREE in July if you have a Playstation 4 and PS+.

oOEFz8p.gif

19433442842_bd6b808ecb_o.png

• Up to 4v4 rocket fueled skill-based gameplay
  • Up to 4-player drop-in, drop-out splitscreen (including online)
  • PC and PS4 cross-platform multiplayer!
  • Offline Season mode
  • Tutorial, Training and Free Play modes
  • Online and offline bot support with multiple difficulty options
  • Customize your car with over 150 items
  • Customize your control scheme and camera settings on PC and PS4
  • Comprehensive replay editor
  • Extensive stat tracking and leaderboards, with ranked play available
  • Text chat and in-game quick commands on PS4 and PC, as well as voice chat
  • FREE DLC arenas for as long as people are playing the game
  • PS4 Exclusive Sweet Tooth car
  • Free for PS+ in July
  • Steam achievements and Playstation Trophies (including a platinum on PS4)

18817235104_e6bbe37973_o.png

So what can your car actually do? There are 4 main techniques: boosting, jumping, dodging and flying.

Boosting

ZckJxf0.gif

Boosting gives your car a burst of speed, meaning you can hit the ball much harder than you’d normally be able to (and even demolish your opponents if you’re going fast enough!). To boost, press and hold the boost button (Circle by default on a Dualshock). Boost is limited, denoted by the meter on the lower right corner of the screen. Get a top-up by driving over the yellow pads dotted around the arena, or drive through boost canisters along the sides to fill up your meter completely.

Jumping

SWLYO1J.gif

Jumping lets you hit a loose ball before it lands, giving you the edge over your opponents. To jump, press the jump button (Cross by default on a Dualshock). Holding Cross will make your car rise even higher, and pressing it again in mid-air will perform a double jump. Being able to judge the height of the ball is one of the key skills to learn if you want to get any good at Rocket League.

Dodging

wr9Iwi4.gif

Dodging your car makes it perform a rapid flip through the air, giving you a hard, powerful and accurate shot. If you’re out of boost, dodging will also increase your speed. To dodge, tap Cross to jump, push the left analogue stick in the direction you want your car to flip, and tap Cross again. You can even dodge backwards when in reverse by pushing the analogue stick down instead of up, helping you out of those sticky situations where your car is facing the wrong way.

You should remember that dodging is the only way to increase your speed when in reverse.

UrlvQF0.gif

Flying

ZUctG9t.gif

The ability to control your car in flight is what really separates the newbies from the hardcore 1337 pr0s. Master flying, and you’ll soon find yourself on every dubsteppy, effect-heavy highlight reel YouTube has to offer.

To fly, start by doing a regular jump, then turn the front of your car up towards the ceiling and hold boost before your car lands. You can use this technique to cover every single inch of the arena, so no ball is ever out of reach. A word of warning though: mastering the aerial will take you months of dedicated playtime.

19252175408_bda295dfe0_o.png

There are various modes available in Rocket League at launch.

Tutorial, Practice and Free Play
New to Rocket League? The game has you covered with a series of tutorials and training modes to teach you the basics. Even for returning veterans, the hardest training modes present a hell of a challenge.

In total, there are three training modes with three difficulty settings each (Rookie, Pro and All Star).
  • Striker (to improve your shooting)
  • Goalie (to improve your defense)
  • Aerial (to improve your flying)
There is also Free Play: just you, a ball, and an empty arena. This is ideal if you want to take some time alone to get used to the game’s handling without the pressure of anyone laughing at you.

You can even do Training or Free Play while the game searches for an online match.

Season Mode
In this offline-only mode (which can be played in up to four player split-screen), you choose a team name, symbol, car colours and team size, then play a full season against bots. First you play in a league format, playing against every other opponent in the league. If you do well enough, you’ll move on to the playoffs in a knockout bracket. If you win it all, you win the Championship and the Season!

Your friends can join you at any time through split-screen or Share Play on PS4.

Offline Exhibitions and Online Private Matches
Private matches are available on and offline, and you can add as many bots as you want to these games. If you are playing a 3v3 online private match and one of your teammates drops out, their space will automatically be filled by a bot. When they rejoin, the bot will leave. If you only have 6 friends and want to play a 4v4, you can set bots to make up the final 2 spaces from beginning to end.

If you're after an offline challenge, you can also try Unfair mode. In this mode, you play alone against up to 4 bots. Bots have three difficulty settings, so you can make them as simple or challenging as you wish.

Oh, and it’s worth repeating that just like every other mode, you can play splitscreen in any of the modes outlined above. Whether you play on the same team or against each other is completely up to you.

Online Matchmaking
Want to hop into a quick game online? No problem. Just filter the playlists and servers to find the match type you’re after and hit search. The skill-based matchmaking will quickly find you matches at your own skill level. You can also party up with online buddies or splitscreen friends before searching.

The following online playlists will be available at launch:
Unranked (Solo or Team)
  • Solo (1v1)
  • Doubles (2v2)
  • Standard (3v3)
  • Chaos (4v4)
Ranked (Solo)
  • Solo (1v1)
  • Doubles (2v2) (party enabled according to: this post!)
  • Standard (3v3)
Ranked (Team) is not available at launch, but Psyonix have confirmed it is planned for a future update.

As with private matches, a bot will automatically replace a player who quits. This means you will never be a man/woman down.

19252165610_f845a545ab_o.png

Maps
The game will release with four unique arenas. On top of this, there are three bonus maps (existing arenas with altered weather/conditions). These are:
  • DFH Stadium
  • Urban Central
  • Mannfield
  • Mannfield (Stormy)
  • Beckwith Park
  • Beckwith Park (Stormy)
  • Beckwith Park (Midnight)

Unlike SARPBC, all the actual fields of play in Rocket League are rectangles, and the distinction between arenas is only cosmetic. Psyonix have hinted that they will be adding ‘crazy’ arenas back into the game with the release of free DLC.

Cars
There are 10 base cars on PC and PS4. All players start with Octane and must unlock others at random by playing single player or online matches.

The full list of cars is:
  • Octane (SARPBC remake)
  • Backfire (SARPBC remake)
  • Breakout
  • Gizmo
  • Hotshot
  • Merc
  • Paladin
  • Road Hog
  • Venom
  • X-Devil

As a bonus, PS4 players also get an 11th car: Sweet Tooth.
EuNZQ3n.jpg

Psyonix have not yet revealed how Sweet Tooth is unlocked. Apparently, it’s up to us to find out.

One thing worth noting is that the difference between cars is cosmetic only. There is no variance in speed, acceleration, boost capacity, or anything else between cars (just tiny differences in their hitboxes). This is by design, and one of the key reasons why SARPBC lasted for so long; an online match is just you against your opponent, with no extrinsic factors swinging the game in anyone’s favour.

Customization
There are 150 items in Rocket League. Combined with all 10 cars, this works out at over 10 billion total customization combinations.
KkLJDn.gif

You can choose your cars’:
  • Body
  • Decal
  • Paint (primary and secondary; one option for each team)
  • Wheels
  • Rocket Trail
  • Topper
  • Antenna

While your car’s primary paint colour is within a gradient of the team you are on (blue team gives you turquoise to dark blue, for example), your secondary colour can be anything you wish.

19252164680_34ce806189_o.png

Q. Why didn’t they keep the name of the original PS3 game?
A. For some reason, people struggled to remember Super Rocket Acrobatic Battle Powered Sonic Potato Cars… wait that’s not right.

Q. What are the differences between cars?
A. Beyond cosmetics, every car is exactly the same (barring unnoticeable differences in their hitboxes). Acceleration, top speed, weight, etc. are all identical. This means that there is not – and never will be – a dreaded ‘pay to win’ option in this game.

Q. What happened to the crazy maps like Utopia, Galleon and Cosmic that were in SARPBC?
A. Psyonix have chosen to make every arena’s field of play a square rectangle in Rocket League due to an overwhelming percentage of players playing only Urban in the first game. They have, however, hinted that upcoming free DLC will include the return of crazy maps.

Q. How long does each match last?
A. Each match lasts 5 minutes of in-game play time (unless the game ends in a tie; see below). In the real world, this will take a little longer due to replays etc.

Q. What happens if the game ends in a tie?
A. If the game ends in a tie, it goes into overtime (OT). In overtime, there is no time limit, and the first team to score wins. This can lead to some absolutely intense matches as the pressure is ramped up to 11.

Q. Sometimes the match doesn’t end as soon as the clock hits zero. Why is that?
A. When the clock hits zero, the game remains alive until the ball touches the floor. This can lead to some incredible last second goals. It can also lead to stuff like this…

Q. I'm worried that the customization options will make it difficult to see who is on each team. Can I turn it off?
A. You cannot, but there’s no need to worry. Every player will always have the appropriate coloured (blue or orange) name tag above their car.

Q. How do you unlock items?
A. Every time you finish a match, regardless if it is online or offline, you unlock a new item at random. Just keep playing to unlock them all!

Q. So wait, what is the use of XP then?
A. Nothing, except to wow your friends with how much you play.

Q. What is the level cap?
A. Nobody outside of Psyonix knows. In an online stream, Psyonix_Dave said there were “like 100” levels. We’ll reach that by July 8th ;)

Q. What are the controls?
A. Here are the default PS4 controls:
CIeHeNWVAAAfvdw.jpg:large

Don’t like the defaults? No worries, the game has COMPLETELY CUSTOMIZABLE CONTROLS. Yes, even on PS4.

Q. Can I play with mouse/keyboard?
A. Yes. But you shouldn’t. Psyonix highly recommend using a controller for the game, as does anyone who has played it.

Q. Can I change the camera?
A. Yes you can. Both platforms have multiple camera options including FOV, camera distance, angle, and more.
YxXlBL0.png

Q. How does cross-platform multiplayer work between PS4 and PC?
A. Right now you can only play with people on another platform through online matchmaking. There will be a patch “very soon” after launch allowing people to play private matches cross-platform. You cannot party with players on another platform as of yet, but it is being worked on.

Q. I don’t want to play against players on another platform. Can I disable it?
A. A PS4 player can change their settings to only play against other PS4 users. PC users won’t be able to do this at launch, however.

Q. Are there dedicated servers?
A. Yes! Every online match is played on dedicated servers. Right now there are servers for Europe, US-East and US-West, with more locations planned for the future (South America, Oceania, Middle East confirmed so far).

Q. Is there an Official Soundtrack available for purchase?
A. Yes! It’s available for purchase on a number of different providers for $9.99. For a complete list with links, check here.

Q. Is there an Official PS4 Premium Theme available for purchase?
A. Yes, there will be one at launch/near after launch, for $1.99.

Q. I only care about the resolution/FPS wars. What is the resolution/FPS?
A. 1080p/60fps (locked on PS4 and PC). Hope that’s good enough for ya.

Q. Is there a spectator mode?
A. Not at launch, but it’s on the list of post-release content updates. Psyonix have hinted it will look very similar to the replay editor that is already in the game.

19433442512_a4d48e2986_o.png

Below is a list of screenshots, videos and streams that we feel capture the fun and beauty of Rocket League. It’s not all about the wonder-goals; it’s about the atmosphere and community spirit as well.

Screenshots

Videos
Rocket League - OMG It Has Everything! (Official Trailer by Psyonix)
Rocket League - Beta Montage with NeoGAF (by GAF member xenorevlis)
Rocket League - Beta 2 Montage with NeoGAF (by GAF member xenorevlis)
Kronovi - Rocket League Beta 2 Montage | Edited by Fyshokid (by Kronovi/Fyshokid)
Preview Montage - ROCKET LEAGUE (by Linkuru)
Rocket League Gameplay Montage (by Fyshokid)

Streams
RocketLeague - The Official Twitch.TV channel for Rocket League by Psyonix Studios!
FreezingWolves - Amateur Shoutcaster of Rocket League
RocketLeagueCentral - Will be streaming high level tournaments to Twitch.TV
RocketWorldLive - Will be streaming the Rocket League world championships to Twitch.TV

19433441422_3c6d5d9dfa_o.png

Throughout Rocket League’s life, there will be numerous semi-official NeoGaf tournaments. Win one of those to have your team’s name forever immortalized in this section.

NeoGAF Steam Tournament #1 - The Flying Ball Busters (Mizzourah - Pepiope - TeegsD)

18819121543_595b5b44d4_o.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1076309

Special thanks to BShadowJ and NicolajNN. They both did just as much - if not more - work on this than me.

Now let's all have some fun ;)

BShadowJ

Want to play Rocket League with other GAF members? Sign up for the RocketGAF PS4/Steam lists!

QUOTE THIS POST TO GET THE LINKS IN ORDER TO SIGN-UP
(They are hidden inside the post in email tags)

PSN ID List
Steam List

PS4 Users: Alternatively, you can add ROCKETLEAGUE-GAF to your friends lists, and then add its friends to your friends list! (Thanks OccamsLightsaber!)

Did a mistake or want to be removed from a list? PM me.

jmaine_ph

Awesome OT! Super pumped for this game. Had so much fun doing 1v1s in the beta. Think I'll expand my game and take on some 2v2 and 3v3. I can't wait!

First game was amazing, but sadly after a few weeks it was difficult to find games online. I will be getting it both on PS4 and PC.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
now i can reply properly. first post needed to be that, and nothing else :)

Fantastic OP, to all of you!
Shadow, can you add me to the List? PSN ist Steiner84, im not sure what my steam is lol..

Great OT, and agreed with making it free on Plus being genius.

PC sales will still happen, they'll do quite well out of the deal and have a bigger market for any DLC. Best of all though it should mean more people playing.

Carl

Was planning to buy this day one anyway, being on PS+ is great. Hopefully it means the online is a lot more populated.

Great OT!

Dizzy-4U

Getting the PS4 and PC versions tomorrow. Cross-play is the best thing that happened to gaming in a long time. Can't wait for the lan party next weekend.

Moobabe

Great OT, and agreed with making it free on Plus being genius.

PC sales will still happen, they'll do quite well out of the deal and have a bigger market for any DLC. Best of all though it should mean more people playing.

Yeah - the game is almost guaranteed good word of mouth with the amount of people who will get their hands on it, leading to more sales on the PC as well.

Coupled with a couple of good Steam sales here and there? Fingers crossed this is a massive hit

BShadowJ

now i can reply properly. first post needed to be that, and nothing else :)

Fantastic OP, to all of you!
Shadow, can you add me to the List? PSN ist Steiner84, im not sure what my steam is lol..

If you quote my post the sign-up links are there on email tags. If you're still having trouble finding it, PM me your Region and Timezone and I'll add you sure x)

Yeah - the game is almost guaranteed good word of mouth with the amount of people who will get their hands on it, leading to more sales on the PC as well.

Coupled with a couple of good Steam sales here and there? Fingers crossed this is a massive hit

I'd love to know how much the deal is worth to them.. I wonder if it covers most of the costs?

Steiner84

do we know when reviews will hit?
im mean, obviously not as big as a new Uncharted release, but still, is there an embargo?

Honestly, everyone is entitled to his opinion but every outlet that scores this game below 90 looses my respect.
If you quote my post the sign-up links are there on email tags. If you're still having trouble finding it, PM me your Region and Timezone and I'll add you sure x)

uh, should have read the post. sorry, im too excited :D

iosefe

Fantastic OT. Been trying my best to Hype up the SteamGAF crowd. It might be working

Any idea when the first tournament will be?

Moobabe

I'd love to know how much the deal is worth to them.. I wonder if it covers most of the costs?

I guess we'll never know - but for a multiplayer game it makes so much sense (in fact I'm still amazing Killzone: Shadowfall doesn't have a standard, F2P MP release on PS+ but anyway)

If you release the game at £15 and no-one knows you, regardless of word of mouth on enthusiast forums, you're going to struggle - especially on console I think. So you take the deal, get into the hands of WAY more players and still get to release on a market that is more willing to experiment and probably catches wind of good new titles (PC)

Win win I guess? And then we'll all buy DLC to support them!

GeeTeeCee

The Witcher 3 and Batman: Arkham Knight kept me nicely distracted between the end of the beta and the release, but the time has finally arrived!

Also, I'm mighty tempted by the idea of playing against fellow GAFfers, but the high level of play I've seen in your myriad gifs/vids has me terrified.

I'd get more playtime out of this if I was still in college, but I'm still going to play the shit out of it.

SARPBC was the go-to for my friend group alongside Smash Bros., so this series holds a special place in my heart even beyond the awesome gameplay. I'm just bummed that none of them has a PS4 yet.

Nyx

Great OT.

Can't wait for the game myself and because it's free on Plus I hope to get friends playing this as well. Would be so much fun!

BShadowJ

im mean, obviously not as big as a new Uncharted release, but still, is there an embargo?

Honestly, everyone is entitled to his opinion but every outlet that scores this game below 90 looses my respect.

uh, should have read the post. sorry, im too excited :D

It's ok, I get it, I haven't been this hyped in a long time :p

Fantastic OT. Been trying my best to Hyperion the StranGER crowd. It might be working

Any idea when the first tournament will be?

So huh I'm still working out a few details, but I'm tentatively aiming for July 17th. Not committed fully to the date yet because not only I'm working out a few details like I said, but I wanted to see when we'll have cross platform private matches (and I'm willing to delay by a week if it's up by then).

Steiner84

they said, with the hype the game got after the betas they initially wanted to change to a traditional release, but sony wanted the game badly for plus. So i imagine they paid good money. and rightfully so!

I asked Dave this on stream and he said that he was pretty sure there was no embargo. I guess it's up to the website when they give this game 10/10.

Watched Lirik play a few weeks ago on Twitch. Looks like a fun game

Check out the videos in the OP. This game really comes to life when people start flying.

Awesome OT! Super pumped for this game. Had so much fun doing 1v1s in the beta. Think I'll expand my game and take on some 2v2 and 3v3. I can't wait!

You've been missing out man! 1v1 is a slow, tactical game (not saying that's a bad thing) of chess. 2v2+ are a high speed sport :D

iosefe

It's ok, I get it, I haven't been this hyped in a long time :p

So huh I'm still working out a few details, but I'm tentatively aiming for July 17th. Not committed fully to the date yet because not only I'm working out a few details like I said, but I wanted to see when we'll have cross platform private matches (and I'm willing to delay by a week if it's up by then).
Fingers crossed.

I can feel them going with the jack box party pack multiplayer setup

TomShoe

Banned
- OlliOlli2

- Helldivers

- Rocket League

I can't believe I'm actually enjoying smaller games more on my PS4 than the usual AAA stuff. It feels weird.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
A week ago this game was barely on my radar, but reading about it here on GAF and checking out videos of the beta has hyped me up something fierce! This game just looks like so much fun! I do remember the PS3 original, and I did try out the demo (beta?), but for whatever reason I never stuck with it. I seem to remember the netcode being pretty bad at launch or something...? Either way, I think I only played it once. Which I'm regretting now. To think of all the fun I missed! Oh well, I'll make up for it now. Signed up on the PSN list, hope we can get a good GAF thing going here!

itshappening.gif

The wait can now be measured in hours...

I hope reviews go well! Is this a "No embargo after the game is out" situation or were there review copies sent out?

Moobabe

itshappening.gif

The wait can now be measured in hours...

I hope reviews go well! Is this a "No embargo after the game is out" situation or were there review copies sent out?

Review copies were sent out, but iirc it was quite late? I got my email on the 2nd.

It's weird waiting for reviews on this though - the high level play in some of the gifs and videos demonstrate an amazingly high skill ceiling, a point that most reviewers won't reach - I just hope they articulate it well enough and don't penalise it for being shit at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom