• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Deimos

ZvMCAxp.gif

lmao

You guys need to play the tutorials.

valeo

lmao

You guys need to play the tutorials.

Surprising how many people are Semi-Pro and don't even know the basics. I NEVER go through tutorials in games if avoidable but these tutorials are actually very good and very quick. It's also useful to do the 'skill practice'. (i.e. defending)

This game is pretty fun. Still learning the basics and basically trying to double jump into the ball, but it's hilarious seeing the entire team clustered around the ball like youth soccer, or seeing people completely whiffing by the ball in the slow motion replays.

Dominator

I love this game so much.

I will admit this isn't an impressive goal but the amount of excitement me and my friends just shared... Wow, going absolutely batshit insane over a goal like that is an unrivaled feeling for us when we play games. I was screaming so loud haha

Noaloha

I think I'd like a minimap sort of thing; perhaps not a permanent HUD element but some sort of 'doom map'-esque line overlay in the centre-screen that's activated with a buttonhold, showing player position and maybe even a graphical representation of velocity. It feels like something which would aid teamwork in non-party teams, something to give you an immediate idea of positioning for passes, or if your goal is untended, etc. Maybe the devs want that sort of spatial awareness to be a part of the deeper skillset however. I've tried using right-stick cam in public games though to quickly scan for other teammates but the second to second pace of the game in moments where that's needed makes it feel troublesome. With randoms, groups not using voicechat for call-outs, I'd really appreciate having an easier way to immediately get a read on their placement / intent. Would probably disable it in any ranked party vs party mode or similar to promote the voice teamwork. Dunno.

pmx7

Neo Member
One of the negatives from the IGN review was the fact all cars are identical (slightly different hit boxes).

Though to the contrary I think it's a good thing. Makes the game a level playing field, more emphasis on your own skill, and a large slice of luck. But that's part of the fun!

Love being able to turn it on and start an online match within a minute.

Dizzy-4U

Amazing how people ignore it and are surprised later, isn't it?
Easy to forget some details when the game throws you all this stuff in the first minutes of the game. I'm not complaining, simply forgot. Only did the basic tutorial once and moved on.

Havok1313

Man I almost didn't even try this game out, and ended up playing for hours today. I'd totally buy DLC for this considering I got it for free.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
I prefer 2v2-3v3 but 1v1 is a really fun side mode, it's a chess match. I got to 1k+ rating in 1v1 tonight and shit got real.

when played by the elite, 3on3 is by far the most entertaining mode to watch imo.
The game is just so fucking fast when capable players go at it, its mind blowing. ESL NA Semis and EU Finale are perfect examples.
Personally im currently enjoying 2on2 the most, at my current skill. 3on3 is too hectic for my taste in my skill level.
and yeah theres a big difference between fast and hectic.

on a different note: Do you have any knowledge of the merchandise? When can we expect shippings, any info on that?

uh yeah and when im at it :) : any news on when the ps4 theme will hit?

also id like to purchase the soundtrack of amazon, but its not there :(

One of the negatives from the IGN review was the fact all cars are identical (slightly different hit boxes).
thats a negative of the reviewer not the game tbh.
reviewer doesnt understand good online gameplay.

Skyzard

Banned
This game is amazing! Just saw the giant bomb vid and half-way decided to pick it up, played a match against bots and jumped in online. Great buy, shitloads of fun for me.

--signed up to the steam list

red731

Better ones would be

- I'm not the ball
- I'm on your team
- This is a TEAM game
- The goal is the OTHER way

Love it and love the last one even more. Some people are hitting the ball hard even towards own goal post. The NEED-TO-HIT-IT mentality needs to change.

I can't wait to get home and play. Looking for flats and bursting the safety life bubble is taking its time.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
it would be sick if we could make our own quick commands. have left, right and down as it is and make the up ones custom.

AcridMeat

Banned
Welp my brain is fried after another long session of 4v4. We had two back to back 0-0 OTs that went on forever but we pulled out wins. But we all just kept missing shots on goal, everyone started to play super sloppy. My win rate went from 72% to 69.9. ;~;

However, we did end up on a Twitch streamer's stream (3 hours 20 minutes 30 seconds). Complimented us. :D Was hoping to play them again to show off some more but they left because of the lag.
it would be sick if we could make our own quick commands. have left, right and down as it is and make the up ones custom.
Down up is the only command I need.

I am so ridiculously hit and miss. In most games you can easily put it down to "the other team were better/worse" and your KDR goes up, or whatever. But in this game it's harder to say that, because you can play well and lose, play poorly and win etc. But sometimes I will go three or four games judging well, smashing it in from the half way line, lining up Destructions perfectly, never over or undershooting when the ball's in the air etc. Then I'll go three or four rounds like a total spaz, missing everything, backheeling own goals from the other half etc. I dunno. I absolutely love it, though.

membran

Though to the contrary I think it's a good thing. Makes the game a level playing field, more emphasis on your own skill, and a large slice of luck. But that's part of the fun!

Agreed. This is the mindset of grinding to unlock more powerful stuff as opposed to just playing because the game is fun. All cars being equal is one of the game's virtues.

I am so ridiculously hit and miss. In most games you can easily put it down to "the other team were better/worse" and your KDR goes up, or whatever. But in this game it's harder to say that, because you can play well and lose, play poorly and win etc. But sometimes I will go three or four games judging well, smashing it in from the half way line, lining up Destructions perfectly, never over or undershooting when the ball's in the air etc. Then I'll go three or four rounds like a total spaz, missing everything, backheeling own goals from the other half etc. I dunno. I absolutely love it, though.

I don't see how RL is different than other games in that respect.

I don't see how RL is different than other games in that respect.

That bit - being good and losing etc - isn't. But generally if you're playing, say, Counterstrike, and your team is bad and the other team is good, you'll struggle to do well even if you, individually, are very good, because you're constantly outnumbered. Your ability to shoot the bad guys doesn't go away, but your opportunities to do so does. But what I'm talking about is that my ability seems to vary wildly, which is largely detached from how good my team is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom