• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
*blows up*

raining_david_tennant.gif

Remf

Welp, I finally played the game and holy sheep shit, was that fun!! First online match I spent trying to get a feel of the controls then I ended up on the top of the pack the next two matches. We were down 3 to 0 on the final match and we ended coming back for the win in OT. Can't wait to play some more. Add me if you want to play. PSN id: remf.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
This game has gone from sheer joy to incredibly frustrating. My random partner and I are always up against a partied duo. If they get ahead by a shot or 2 then guaranteed partner rage quit.

Pepiope

This game has gone from sheer joy to incredibly frustrating. My random partner and I are always up against a partied duo. If they get ahead by a shot or 2 then guaranteed partner rage quit.
Luckily I haven't had this much recently. Just went down 3-0 with a random partner and came back to win it in OT. 3 goals really isn't a whole lot in this game.

The dlc looks great! That song in the trailer is amazing. And speaking of the music, I just noticed the soundtrack is on Google Play! So bought.

I think the intensity of rocket league actually hurt my wrist. I woke up this morning and it's still sore.
This happened to me the first time I played the game (like 6-7hrs straight). Though my left thumb and palm were also very sore. But I couldn't stop playing.

It hurt so good.

Ever had one of those rare games when everything just seems to go your way?

Like I had been blessed by the Rocket League gods for five glorious minutes.
I had a game like this when I first started playing ranked matches. I made some crazy goals and the game went to overtime. Then, unfortunately, I knocked the ball into my own goal, haha. ;_;

IISANDERII

The ads kind of bum me out when I paid $20 for the game. I can understand the PS4 owners who got it for free not caring, and if it was a f2p game I would have no issue. I feel like I'm marketed at 99% of the time, I don't like to be marketed to when I'm playing a product I've purchased.

I'm not a huge stickler for this sort of thing, and I kind of knew it would happen, but it just seems a bit skeezy.
PS4 owners do not get it for free.

nYwjyli.gif

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I'm getting crazy input lag on PS4 all of a sudden and it's even effecting exhibition and the main menu. The delay is well over a second and it fucks with the left stick so bad driving is impossible.

The PS4 gets really loud at the same time as well. It's in a well ventilated area and none of the other games I play are having any problems.

I hope it fixes itself or I could delete and reinstall the game. It sucks not being able to play!

Not sure what this is from but I've gotten this from time to time, most notably with gtav and mkx.

Ivellios

Really like the game so far, having so much fun playing it, the only problem for me is the huge lag that occurs at random sometimes making the game almost unplayable.

if anyone want to play, my psn ID is: churroszx

Random dumb idea:

Map with a ceiling that is as high as the ball. Basically, the ball and your car have no room to jump or get in the air.

Very wide goals. Lots of boost.

Plays like air hockey.

GodofWine

The advertising has literally zero effect on the game, I don't see what the big deal is.

Seriously, there are ads everywhere...back in the day cable TV was supposedly going to be ad free..Seinfeld drank Snapple, James bond drove a jaguar, the Matrix was full of Cadillacs, its all paid for advertising within a product you pay for already. Hell I'd like to see jeep pay psyonix to put in a wrangler based car.

Pop

Ugh... that ad stuff is bumming me out. Ruining the beautiful game. ;_;

Throwing ads at people who already paid full price for the game on PC is especially ugh. Don't like this, don't like this one bit.

Like you're going to stop and stare at an ad during a match. Won't even notice it there.

Unicorn

I only have 2 friends that play this on Steam, but some more that have ps4. Bums me out I don't want to play because I don't have friends at the ready to play too.

I'm starting to not have as much fun with randoms due to frustrations.

Also, the advertising talk is odd. It's a sport game, it's also a game that needs servers and a way to support 5 million players, 4.5million of which didn't kick money directly to them. The implementation is literally the least invasive. Imagine if the ads were on the fucking ball. Where were the complaints about the twitch flag or the unreal flag? If anything, there should only be rules that the graphics gel well with the aesthetic as that image of the ad is kind of glaring. But, it's basically invisible in gameplay due to speed and focal point being the ball.

Salsa

think the game would benefit from a minimap tbh

I check behind me all the time and all but it'd be cool to have a way to let players know stuff faster. not going for the same ball, etc

I know tappin up up is "I got it" but hardly anyone uses it

thought about a horn but people would just spam that shit

I only have 2 friends that play this on Steam, but some more that have ps4. Bums me out I don't want to play because I don't have friends at the ready to play too.

I'm starting to not have as much fun with randoms due to frustrations.

Also, the advertising talk is odd. It's a sport game, it's also a game that needs servers and a way to support 5 million players, 4.5million of which didn't kick money directly to them. The implementation is literally the least invasive. Imagine if the ads were on the fucking ball. Where were the complaints about the twitch flag or the unreal flag? If anything, there should only be rules that the graphics gel well with the aesthetic as that image of the ad is kind of glaring. But, it's basically invisible in gameplay due to speed and focal point being the ball.

Send me a fr on Steam. I'll play with you. Same as Gaf.

Unicorn

I check behind me all the time and all but it'd be cool to have a way to let players know stuff faster. not going for the same ball, etc

minimap would help a ton with getting a handle on orientation on the field. I'm starting to get used to it and feel when I'm in certain places on the map without moving the camera, but it would also aid in teamwork.
Send me a fr on Steam. I'll play with you. Same as Gaf.

Sent

A minimap would be helpful but I think having situational awareness is a good skill to learn. I like how RL feels like a distilled version of soccer and having a minimap doesn't feel like a "raw" version of soccer.

In Journey, when a player joins your game you can tell where they are based on a subtle white glow on the edge of the screen (ie if they're behind you to the right, the white glow is near the bottom right).

I wouldn't mind having THE OPTION TO TURN ON a similar subtle glow when a teammate is right behind you. Sometimes I'm hanging back with another car, and then we both go for the ball perhaps without either of us realizing it.

valeo

Completely agree. Minimap would improve the game and improve teamwork.

DBT85

No issue with those ads,

a) its an arena sport and its normal for the aesthetic, I'm sure Fifa does the same no?
b) the games moving to fast for me to even notice what they are advertising

So long as I don't have to see an advert splash screen or something I'm ok.

Salsa

you know I think the thing that randoms do (or dont) that bothers me the most is that they never bounce the ball

like if they're close to a wall theyll try to reposition themselves super slow and hit it to where theyre supposed to rather than rammin that shit and making it bounce off a wall for whoever's coming behind them

its really weird

W1SSY

Played multiple games tonight against invisible players. It makes the game hard when the ball just randomly changes directions.

Unicorn

you know I think the thing that randoms do (or dont) that bothers me the most is that they never bounce the ball

like if they're close to a wall theyll try to reposition themselves super slow and hit it to where theyre supposed to rather than rammin that shit and making it bounce off a wall for whoever's coming behind them

its really weird

Yup. Basic set-ups are not so basic..

its really weird

What I've noticed when you're playing with randos no one trusts each other, which is understandable. When you play in a consistent party and with the same people, and especially when you're on voice chat, you don't feel the need to constantly go after the ball, because you think "Nah it's cool, X has got it and I'll get the rebound"

With randos, it's very easy to think "This random-ass dude is gonna fuck it up, I gotta go take care of things" and all that leads to is everyone stepping on each other's toes

Salsa

What I've noticed when you're playing with randos no one trusts each other, which is understandable. When you play in a consistent party and with the same people, and especially when you're on voice chat, you don't feel the need to constantly go after the ball, because you think "Nah it's cool, X has got it and I'll get the rebound"

With randos, it's very easy to think "This random-ass dude is gonna fuck it up, I gotta go take care of things" and all that leads to is everyone stepping on each other's toes

I dont disagree, but doing a 180 super slow and hittin the ball in the right direction at grandma speed does nothing

they never achieve it cause it takes too long and if they do the shot just doesnt have any force

the ball needs to be moving

AwShucks

Made it my goal to unlock Sweet Tooth tonight and did it! One of my favorite characters in games (big Twisted Metal fan) but sadly I'm not a huge fan of the bigger vehicles in Rocket League. Played a game and did fine but I'll stick with my smaller cars. Although I did equip the antenna topper and tires!

Damn, 10 games in a row with someone leaving or dc-ing. That's one way to suck the fun out of the game.
Happened to me all afternoon. If my team got scored on first, it was almost a guarantee that a player would leave. I might tone down my playing with randos until they drop the patch to punish quitters.

DBT85

Played a couple of games last night before Ant Man.

Last one I got pounded 7-3. Another dude who didn't contest the kick offs unless on the diagonals.

To be fair he was much better on the ball and drove it all the way in nearly very time too.

Had one match yesterday where I'd managed to get 3-0 ufter 30 seconds and the dude quit, then the very next game I get someone who, apparently, was about 3 years old and had no idea what was going on.

Stuck at about 350 in 1v1.

Haunted

I think where Psyonix fucked up is introducing the ads a month out from the game launch. If the game launched with the ads, there would have been an expectation in place that this is just the way the game is.

Now all the sudden you are taking something that someone paid for and "lowering" the perceived quality.
Well, you do have some ads in the items, with the twitch flag and some other brand names I saw in there.

But yeah, nothing like this.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I love the game, but i'm gonna say this - if this is real and in game adverts like this are in game, i'll be dropping the game instantly.

I will never support this kind of in game advertising, if they want to do this then release the game for free and allow people who buy the game to disable them.

Really? So you'll stop supporting a game because it has ads that can barely be seen? You'd rather they charge a monthly fee? Maybe charge for map packs, extra boosts, etc.?

People these days complain about anything and everything. If they didn't do this, and went another route, people like you would still complain.

Maybe they should just release the game for free to everyone, not eat, pour all their money into servers and make new content for free, too, right? Yeah, that's the only "correct" way.

Sheesh! Really hope you're not into games development, games media or anything within the industy. Would seriously hate to work with someone with that logic.

EDIT: Also, I never noticed ads and I gather, I wouldn't have if not for this thread. Seriously, you're rocketeering at top speed almost every time. Unless you stop and NOT move, then it might be an issue. But does anyone do that, really?

DryvBy

Really? So you'll stop supporting a game because it has ads that can barely be seen? You'd rather they charge a monthly fee? Maybe charge for map packs, extra boosts, etc.?

People these days complain about anything and everything. If they didn't do this, and went another route, people like you would still complain.

Maybe they should just release the game for free to everyone, not eat, pour all their money into servers and make new content for free, too, right? Yeah, that's the only "correct" way.

Sheesh! Really hope you're not into games development, games media or anything within the industy. Would seriously hate to work with someone with that logic.

EDIT: Also, I never noticed ads and I gather, I wouldn't have if not for this thread. Seriously, you're rocketeering at top speed almost every time. Unless you stop and NOT move, then it might be an issue. But does anyone do that, really?

I'm sorry, what? What would they be charging you a monthly fee for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom