• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBT85

If you refuse to play a game you paid for after they add in unobtrusive ads, you're only helping them lighten the server load.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I'm sorry, what? What would they be charging you a monthly fee for?

New servers, extra XP/ranked bosts, etc. It's just a statement made to highlight how this current ad model is a non-issue.

Now, if we have ads covering the field, etc., that'd be a different story.

bjaelke

Rocket League ‏@RocketLeague
HEADS UP: Update v1.03 (Not DLC patch) is coming later today in the late AM (Pacific Time). Patch Notes coming with the deployment...

Rocket League ‏@RocketLeague
HEADS UP: Update v1.03 (Not DLC patch) is coming later today in the late AM (Pacific Time). Patch Notes coming with the deployment...

DCzHNHt.gif

dosh

guessing it wont have crossplay friends ps4 - PC yet

thats all I want right now
Me too. I got the game with last month PS+, but I'll probably end up buying it on Steam to play with friends if the cross-play is not here by mid-august. Bah, they deserve my money anyway.

I love the game, but i'm gonna say this - if this is real and in game adverts like this are in game, i'll be dropping the game instantly.

I will never support this kind of in game advertising, if they want to do this then release the game for free and allow people who buy the game to disable them.

See ya!

ShadowOwl

Bought Rocket League just two days ago and I regret nothing. Haven't had so much fun playing something online for quite some time.

Controls are simple but pretty precise, no overly complex rules and the gameplay is so incredibly satisfying. Looking forward to the 1.03 update! My only complaint: Switched from normal matchmaking to ranked because I'm annoyed by the bots replacing leaving players. Bots tend over to take over matches by scoring long distance goals.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Bought Rocket League just two days ago and I regret nothing. Haven't had so much fun playing something online for quite some time.

Controls are simple but pretty precise, no overly complex rules and the gameplay is so incredibly satisfying. Looking forward to the 1.03 update! My only complaint: Switched from normal matchmaking to ranked because I'm annoyed by the bots replacing leaving players. Bots tend over to take over matches by scoring long distance goals.

Win 5 - 0 two players rage quits by the last minute. 2 bots enter the arena.

Loose 5-6.

This game

Agree with both. It's annoying when that happens for both parties, I think. AI is awesome at saves, too.

Played couch co-op with a friend, had the AI as our teammate (Heater), and he was dominating. Friend told me "This guy is a real pro at this." I told him it's an AI, and he was like "Whut?" Haha!

I think my most hated bit in the game is still teammates who try to goal steal and end up flubbing the goal. That and players jumping at the damn ball to hit it, and they're facing YOUR goal. :(

kanuuna

Are there no systems in place to discourage people from leaving ranked games?
I really can't stand playing this game when people from either team quit after the first goal is scored.

edit: like 6 games in a row now. How the fuck is anyone supposed to rank up?

DBT85

Are there no systems in place to discourage people from leaving ranked games?
I really can't stand playing this game when people from either team quit after the first goal is scored.

edit: like 6 games in a row now. How the fuck is anyone supposed to rank up?

Either the patch today or very soon, quitters will be hit with a 15 minute matchmaking ban.

DryvBy

New servers, extra XP/ranked bosts, etc. It's just a statement made to highlight how this current ad model is a non-issue.

Now, if we have ads covering the field, etc., that'd be a different story.

I'm not a big fan of paying per month. I think it's a weak excuse to bleed wallets. It's why I don't really play mobile games. Ads or pay. No thanks.

Honestly, a little banner on the side in a sports style game doesn't bother me too much, but only if it fits (Madden, NBA, FIFA). I don't think this game fits with these types of ads. But I'm not going to delete the game over it. Game is overall a very positive experience.

Hasney

Yeah, I'm cool with the ads. If they were like this:

Then we'd have a problem. But tiny banner ads like you'd have in a real sport? Totally fine. I didn't even realise it said Rocket League around the edge, which shows just how much I'll notice the ads.

Gandie

Then we'd have a problem. But tiny banner ads like you'd have in a real sport? Totally fine. I didn't even realise it said Rocket League around the edge, which shows just how much I'll notice the ads.

But it's not a real sport. It breaks the immersion and frankly damages the artistic cohesiveness of the game. It also leaves a bitter taste in my mouth to be milked for more money after already purchasing the game at full price.

Hasney

But it's not a real sport. It breaks the immersion and frankly damages the artistic cohesiveness of the game. It also leaves a bitter taste in my mouth to be milked for more money after already purchasing the game at full price.

I think if RC cars playing football ever became a thing, it'd have so many sponsers.

On an unrelated note, I should see what the Alienware 13 is all about. Don't know where that idea got in my head.

bjaelke

The beta had "advertisement" banners. I assume Sony made them drop any plans to implement that as a revenue stream when they negotiated the Plus deal.

DBT85

Breaks the immersion?

Fussing over nothing to be honest. How is this any different than any racing game that has tyre manufacturers plastered over every flag and wall?

Gandie

Fussing over nothing to be honest. How is this any different than any racing game that has tyre manufacturers plastered over every flag and wall?

That racing game you're talking about mirrors and imitates a real life event. Rocket League doesn't.

Breaks the immersion?

Yes, while playing I'm immersed in the fictional sport stadium, reading about the newest Intel processor, or Burger, or Doritos flavour while playing breaks that immersion.

That racing game you're talking about mirrors and imitates a real life event. Rocket League doesn't.

That's an odd and incredibly specific objection to have. Where do you draw the line?

What if the racing game is an arcadey action racing game like Burnout, that has as much in common with real life as Rocket League (possibly less) would you not play it if it had car and tyre manufacturers adverts on the side of a track?

DBT85

Yes, while playing I'm immersed in the fictional sport stadium, reading about the newest Intel processor, or Burger, or Doritos flavour while playing breaks that immersion.

Its a splash of colour just like you see in any arena sport, in every magazine, on every hoarding in your life.

Fuck, I just had to check one of my replays to see that the existing hoardings with "Rocket League" were even there.

I suppose if the adverts were for fictional companies in the fictional stadium in the fictional sport your immersion would remain intact.

Gandie

That's an odd and incredibly specific objection to have. Where do you draw the line?

What if the racing game is an arcadey action racing game like Burnout, that has as much in common with real life as Rocket League (possibly less) would you not play it if it had car and tyre manufacturers adverts on the side of a track?

It's funny, that you mention Burnout. Its latest iteration was littered with billboards by various companies.

billboard-diesel-3-burnout-300x168.jpg

I'm still massively enjoying Rocket League, it's probably my favourite game of the year so far. I just want to express my disappointment about in game ads, weeks after launch, after I paid full price for the game on Steam. I'm hoping incoming money from Steam sales, Sony money, and ingame ads will be used to fix the horrible rubberbanding mess that are the EU servers.

It's funny, that you mention Burnout. Its latest iteration was littered with billboards by various companies.

billboard-diesel-3-burnout-300x168.jpg

I'm still massively enjoying Rocket League, it's probably my favourite game of the year so far. I just want to express my disappointment about in game ads, weeks after launch, after I paid full price for the game on Steam. I'm hoping incoming money from Steam sales, Sony money, and ingame ads will be used to fix the horrible rubberbanding mess that are the EU servers.

So you would object to playing that Burnout game because it's milking more money from you and ruining the immersion?

Gandie

So you would object to playing that Burnout game because it's milking more money from you and ruining the immersion?

No I wouldn't. Paradise is my favourite game of last generation. I'm not objecting to playing Rocket League. I just dislike ingame ads. I wish the sale revenue, along with the upcoming DLC revenue would be enough to support the game longterm.

ShutterMunster

Immersion breaking? Who is getting immersed in the actual WORLD of Rocket League? I'm not even paying attention to that ish. All I care about is where the ball is and where other players are. I'm trying to win. I don't even care about all the ads everywhere in real soccer and there I'm just a spectator!

This is ludicrous. I'm all for them throwing ads in the game, especially on PS4 where the game was given away to millions for free. Do what you need to to make ends meet.

No I wouldn't. Paradise is my favourite game of last generation. I'm not objecting to playing Rocket League. I just dislike ingame ads. I wish the sale revenue, along with the upcoming DLC revenue would be enough to support the game longterm.

I wish for that too, but if the inclusion of unobtrusive ads means a more stable gaming experience I can live with it. Especially if it means more people will be able to enjoy a great game like this with no issues.

Man, Im not super against ads but its kind of ironic that I only see them in the version I forked out $20 for, thats what I get for double dipping.

Grinchy

Banned
I wish there was a new thread about the ads. Then the six people who are bothered would have a place to discuss it without killing this thread.

The Cowboy

I wish there was a new thread about the ads. Then the six people who are bothered would have a place to discuss it without killing this thread.

So what your saying is, you only want positive talk in here.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't an OT meant to be about discussing the game, and seeing as adverts are now a part of the game its open for discussion.

It is a nice shift though, as its funny that the people not happy about banner adverts being added into a game after we paid for it (not in at release) are the ones being moaned at instead of the game maker for doing it - how times have changed.
-
As said before, if people are happy with the adverts then good for them - it doesn't mean we should all have to be happy about it.

The Cowboy

Seriously. It's such a non-issue, to see it clogging up this thread is disappointing.

The funny thing is, its not the ones who have the issue with them clogging up the thread, its the ones who have issue with the people who don't like them that are clogging up the thread.

There was actually more posts from people complaining at me for not liking the adverts than there was from me complaining about them :p.

Excited for the patch to drop. Losing hope that they fixed the framerate, but there should be enough to be happy about-- mainly quit penalties and fixing the Far Far Away bug.

Grinchy

Banned
So what your saying is, you only want positive talk in here.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't an OT meant to be about discussing the game, and seeing as adverts are now a part of the game its open for discussion.

It is a nice shift though, as its funny that the people not happy about banner adverts being added into a game after we paid for it (not in at release) are the ones being moaned at instead of the game maker for doing it - how times have changed.
-
As said before, if people are happy with the adverts then good for them - it doesn't mean we should all have to be happy about it.

It's fine. The ads discussion will die on its own naturally because it really is a non-issue. So go ahead, keep it alive as long as you can.

nicolajNN

My only problem with the ads is that the one in the screenshot is pretty poor, it needs to be simpler and more in the style of the Rocket League ones already in the game, some big text and a logo.

Anyway, the OT reached page 100 on 100PPP! Wooooo!

I haven't noticed the ads yet, but then again I don't pay much attention to side stuff in the heat of battle. Maybe if an ad was plastered on the ball itself I'd care (you love ball cam?!?!?). But eh, at the end of the day it is just an MP game that's really fun. It isn't some immersive single-player game. They gave up sales by going with PS+, and if it means the game can fund its own online infrastructure, good for it.

I guess I don't care when the ads don't stop me doing what I want and playing when I want. Also, just seeing Psyonix or Rocket League everywhere is kinda boring, so the ads might spruce things up a bit.

The Cowboy

It's fine. The ads discussion will die on its own naturally because it really is a non-issue. So go ahead, keep it alive as long as you can.

But i'm not the one keeping it alive, as said more posts have been directed at me than by me - I actually stopped posting about it until i noticed a load of messages directed at me for simply not liking them and on top of that, i didn't even respond to nearly all of them.

Anyways i agree it will die on its own very quickly, most people are OK with in game banner adverts and that's fine with me now - i got my refund and as such I'm happy because if i buy it again (and i might when its on a heavy sale) i know what i'm buying into before hand with regards to adverts.

Gandie

I guess I don't care when the ads don't stop me doing what I want and playing when I want. Also, just seeing Psyonix or Rocket League everywhere is kinda boring, so the ads might spruce things up a bit.

I get that some people are less annoyed by ads than others, but COME on.

BShadowJ

I'm liking more and more that gaffer's idea of a "no ads" unlock... Even if it's only to give an option to those who don't want the ads to not have them. That and like I said before, I can't help but wonder if something as low as 5€ would be more than what they'd get from ads from just one person individually, since ad revenue tends to be... Not very big.

Also, my laptop might actually be fixed, and if so, even though I'm not sure I'll be able to run the game decently, I'll finally buy Rocket League on PC. Get hyped :eek:

The Cowboy

I'm liking more and more that gaffer's idea of a "no ads" unlock... Even if it's only to give an option to those who don't want the ads to not have them. That and like I said before, I can't help but wonder if something as low as 5€ would be more than what they'd get from ads from just one person individually, since ad revenue tends to be... Not very big.

I freely admit, they put in a pay $5 to remove adverts option, i would buy the game back strait away and pay the extra $5.

Gandie

On PC or PS4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom