• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
"The Point: How Rockets and Cars made the best sports game in years"

AI3GwDV.png

gjn81wvxqsq6yzcwubok.png

I haven't seen the full video to see if this is mentioned, I just find it funny that a few years back this would have been unimaginable.

"+ Gameplay is fun and frantic"

"- Playing soccer with cars isn't very fun"

I mean, did they even read what they've typed?

Yea, good watch. The thing about being a player in a team is a bit wrong seeing how FIFA let you play that way (Be A Pro mode) since 2008 I think. Pro mode has been my favourite FIFA mode since then, and for the same reason.

I however played FIFA in auto mode so I can't speak for how good accuracy and control is in manual mode in FIFA. RL being naturally in 'manual' mode helps you get better though, and it does feel good once you get used to it.

Decent patch.

Disappointed that framerate fixes aren't in for PS4, but cross-quick chat and fixes to stat tracking sound good. Time to get my plat.

Interested to see how the ranked penalty will play out. I'm afraid some people who quit do so because they are angry with their partners. If they can't quit because of the penalty...they may just play like assholes and screw over their mates.

But I'm happy with a penalty. Ranked is too dangerous to head in without a teammate anyway, so bless those who do... Actually, sometimes I meet some damn friendly players. Sometimes I don't.

My worry is, solo players quit because they dont like their teammates. I've noticed a number of RL players are children, literally 10 yr olds who act like brats. They are the ones calling people the n word, f*ggots, and making those edgy, evil-as-can-be tryhard insults. They are also the type to bail on a ranked match, and justify it by thinking their partner sucks.

So I worry that instead of quitting, they will act like the children they are and just grief. But like I said, Ranked should be played with a party anyway.

Also, Psyonix, can you please add a (permanent) ban to players who ever use the word:

N*ggers, Niqqers, N * G G E R S, F*ggot, F*g, Faggat, etc?

There is never a context where this would be okay to use, and I wish these people would have their chat rights taken away forever. I cant stand the kids who grief the entire game like this. A mute option, that states "You have been muted by Player X" would be great too. A good way to cut down on people who throw insults around by notifying everyone that they were muted.

"The Point: How Rockets and Cars made the best sports game in years"

AI3GwDV.png

gjn81wvxqsq6yzcwubok.png

Yeah I wonder how much zeitgeist and outside general opinion affect review scores. The PS3 version wasn't that much different but I guess now that it is a phenomenon the pressure to review it well has changed.

There is never a context where this would be okay to use, and I wish these people would have their chat rights taken away forever. I cant stand the kids who grief the entire game like this

Yeah it astricks our usernames with bad words but then when they score a goal it shows anyway. Fixed? These names remind me that PC gaming is no longer the mature crowd of gamers anymore.

Great piece on RL. Danny's sentiments almost identically mirror mine. The most soccer feeling soccer game to date. I am definitely in the camp that believes this game will help people better understand or appreciate real soccer the next time the watch it.

I love me some Rocket League and can appreciate the skill and athleticism of the sport of Football. But people don't watch(that aren't fans) because the game is boring as shit for 85% of most matches.

But if this game inspires some kid to go out for soccer, hell, I'm all for that.

DBT85

Also, Psyonix, can you please add a (permanent) ban to players who ever use the word:

There is never a context where this would be okay to use, and I wish these people would have their chat rights taken away forever. I cant stand the kids who grief the entire game like this

Screen shot it and send it to them and as many people at playstation as possible.

Decent patch.

Disappointed that framerate fixes aren't in for PS4, but cross-quick chat and fixes to stat tracking sound good. Time to get my plat.

The patch notes did say this, "(PS4) Multiple visual optimizations" will be curious to see what that is and if it affects framerate

I love me some Rocket League and can appreciate the skill and athleticism of the sport of Football. But people don't watch(that aren't fans) because the game is boring as shit for 85% of most matches.

But if this game inspires some kid to go out for soccer, hell, I'm all for that.

I consider that attitude that it is boring, part of not understanding and appreciating the game. I know I could barely watch 20 minutes of soccer years ago before I better understood the game. That is when you can appreciate that it is actually non stop action. A goal isn't the action, a goal is the conclusion of constant action.

So yesterday during ranked 2v2 one of the opposing players left while we were up 4-2 with a minute to go. My random teammate then decided to score two goals on ourselves to "make it fair", and then sat still in OT as the 1 opposing player left rushed the faceoff and scored. I truly hate the community sometimes.

The thing I don't understand about this story is what were you doing at the start of OT?

BShadowJ

Yeah I wonder how much zeitgeist and outside general opinion affect review scores. The PS3 version wasn't that much different but I guess now that it is a phenomenon the pressure to review it well has changed.

I think it was more of a lack of knowledge of the skill ceiling of the game. Since people thought the skill ceiling was very low (jump around randomly and get lucky hits basically), people thought there was no depth to the game and dismissed it quickly because of that. Now that people know the depth possible, and there's more footage of the game out there in general, I think it had a positive impression. Although I do agree with you that the success of the game likely also influenced the review scores.

lol. You can say that about almost any sport. If you find it boring, you probably don't get it.

BShadowJ

Oh god I'm viewing that The Point video, and during the intro to Rocket League, he ends up saying something like:

"Soccer with cars! Ok, gotcha! Simple idea, seems like videogames should've done it years ago!"

THEY DID AND YOU DIDN'T LIKE IT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Ok I'll watch the rest now.

Edit: Alright they do mention Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle Cars. Should've watched the whole thing huh... lol.

Screen shot it and send it to them and as many people at playstation as possible.

I wish there was a PS Forum specifically for this.

Better yet, if I could take a screenshot, attach it to a PSN ID, and send it in through the grief report, that'd be great.

The best thing to do though, is to report players who PM you something offensive. Otherwise, Sony probably cant do anything about it.

The basic concept between SARPBC and RL is there, but sum of all the minor changes results in a massive difference. It is completely reasonable to have disliked SARPBC and love RL. One of the most important things that makes it feel more soccer-like is every match is played on the same pitch in RL. Little things like that go a long way, and seven years is a long time to tweak and improve.

Edit: PS4 udpate is live. 1.8 GB

lol. You can say that about almost any sport. If you find it boring, you probably don't get it.

I get it though. It's not like this game has offsides, penalties, or warnings. I get soccer, I just find it boring. It's okay, still love me some RL.

Anyone looking for more steam buddies to play with add me. Same as Gaf.

BShadowJ

The basic concept between SARPBC and RL is there, but sum of all the minor changes results in a massive difference. It is completely reasonable to have disliked SARPBC and love RL. One of the most important things that makes it feel more soccer-like is every match is played on the same pitch in RL. Little things like that go a long way, and seven years is a long time to tweak and improve.

Yeah I know I know... They even mention that in the video. It's just having played the original, I can't help but find it sorta funny the evolution the original and this game went through to get to mainstream success. But I am happy overall, trust me! :D

Gonna test framerate

For the next patch, Im hoping they add 3v3 ranked parties. Ranked is less encouraging if you go in with randoms.

Its funny how they managed to patch the two toppers to work properly lol

Yeah I know I know... They even mention that in the video. It's just having played the original, I can't help but find it sorta funny the evolution the original and this game went through to get to mainstream success. But I am happy overall, trust me! :D

I want to play RL and SARPBC side by side now. I think it is both awesome for the devs and fascinating that they were able to take a poorly received game and revise it into a massive hit seven years later! Is there other games where this has happened? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Gonna test framerate

For the next patch, Im hoping they add 3v3 ranked parties. Ranked is less encouraging if you go in with randoms.

Its funny how they managed to patch the two toppers to work properly lol

With the DLC adding spinner rims, I wonder what came first, wanting spinners which allowed other items to animate, or fixing the animation which then led to them thinking of spinners.

J. Bravo

I got used to playing with my friends and having constant communication and winning. I hate playing without them now. randoms suck ass. and I'm not good enough to carry teams anymore lol. ppl caught up in the last week. anyone wants to play, add me on PSN: TheHaighter. put ur gaf name in the message.

BShadowJ

I want to play RL and SARPBC side by side now. I think it is both awesome for the devs and fascinating that they were able to take a poorly received game and revise it into a massive hit seven years later! Is there other games where this has happened? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Yeah I don't think I know any other game that did the same. But a thing to note though, was that the original game did have some success, enough to warrant this sequel, it just never got critical acclaim.

man had no idea crossplay quick chat wasnt a thing

no wonder there's so many silent people

Yeah it's been bugged since release... I just checked every game if I were to bother to use quick chat or not lol, now I can just spam my "Wow! Wow! Wow!" every game! :p

BShadowJ

Huh, I'm pretty sure they changed the icon of the game on the PS4 OS (the one you click to launch the game). I think they also changed the "press any button" screen. Very minor changes for both though so...

Edit: Yooooooooo the propeller hat is so DOPE now! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom