• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League suddenly has the most toxic community i've seen. and its a shame.

ViolentP

Toughen up, dude. It's a competitive game with trash talk. Letting it get to you says more about you than the game.

Did Psyonix make some comment about how the report system works? What is the more severe punishment?

typical argentinian, BRO

im from uruguay

and yeah. USE servers are better. stop embarrasing me latinamericans

lol I thought of Uruguay too, that's why I said probly. Wasn't sure if you guys say "salame" too.

BashNasty

I'm very lucky that I love it when people are massive douchebags online, I find it really, really funny because it says far more about them than it says about you. However, my brother hates it, so I totally see where OP is coming from.

Salsa

Toughen up, dude. It's a competitive game with trash talk. Letting it get to you says more about you than the game.

OP can't handle the bants

it's all in good fun ya nigger child faggot!

I even get told I must from a "shitty third world country" cause of my ping

but hey its all good banter

I only work all day to get home and play a game and get called a poor child motherfucker and be demoted cause of how shitty they are

it'd obviously be way worse if people tried to be competitive but nice or at least respectful, am I rite

I always get shit talk from my team but they are my friends so I can't really say I know how you feel. We also get shit talk from opposing teams (and then proceed to shit talk as well) and it reaches a point where we/or they score and as soon as we try to shit talk we both just laugh out loud because of the ridiculousness of it all. But yes, there's a lot of people trolling and whatnot in this game and unfortunately not everyone can ignore that even if they want, it just messes with them. It's a shame.

stolin

im having a fucking mental breakdown man. It just straight up ruined my mood. "time to put the controller down" and all, and I seriously rarely get mad at games, but god damn

eSports... serious business.
pdhpe-sports-psychology-4-728.jpg

Do a lot of people play the non-ranked mode? I'm thinking about getting it on PS4... but not really if I'm gonna get ridiculed while trying to learn how to play.

Stoze

Sounds to me they should just have a better/working reporting system and an option to disable quick chat as well (I don't know why the latter isn't implemented? That seems like a no brainer). At that point it's about the best they can possibly do. But even then it's never going to fix the majority of trolling and shit talking if you have chat enabled, unfortunately.

I don't think I've purposefully had public chat turned on in a videogame for about 10 years.

newsguy

Teammate shaming has been an issue in this game since it came out. It sucks and it makes me hate playing public matches. You can literally be the best player, but if you whiff on 1 shot or overshoot a pass it's "wow!" 10 times from your terrible teammate.

The worst I've seen in Rocket League doesn't hold a candle to some of the average stuff I've seen in MOBAs.

I still mute everything in Rocket League.

hohoXD123

Do a lot of people play the non-ranked mode? I'm thinking about getting it on PS4... but not really if I'm gonna get ridiculed while trying to learn how to play.

It's the only mode I play and it's always easy to find a game. Good thing about 3 person teams is it's difficult for the other team to even know that you're playing terribly anyway, plus you can hide your rank.

it happens man, last week playing world of tanks on my ps4 i rekt some ass with my King Tiger

pretty much i had the control of that side of the map and since i was outnumbered like 4 to 1 i had to be sly about it, long story short before getting hit by a fatal shell i got this dude and he sent me a message in german and according to google he was telling me a coward's momma's boy or something like that(too bad i deleted the message)

i fucking loled, it does suck when you are getting owned though

Bulk_Rate

It (the BS) is creeping in for sure....I've been on since it launched on PS4 and in the last week or two I've noticed a lot more foulmouths and ragers too. Still plenty of good natured comments though to balance it out.

I play non-ranked exclusively so I rarely run into any assholes aside from the usual sarcastic remarks which almost never cross the line.

it's all in good fun ya nigger child faggot!

but hey its all good banter

I only work all day to get home and play a game and get called a poor child motherfucker and be demoted cause of how shitty they are

it'd obviously be way worse if people tried to be competitive but nice or at least respectful, am I rite

To echo the statements of others in this thread I love games with a bunch of shit talking rando's. Totally adds to the fun and competitive nature of the game. It's still completely reasonable for you to be turned off by that aspect but games like this will always exist because it's really just mirroring the real world. You don't get the option to mute people when you're playing pick up basketball.

Mental breakdown?

Just ignore it? People talk shit on the text chat in RL and it pissing you off this much?

You really need thicker skin. This isn't something to be this upset about.

Salsa

Mental breakdown?

Just ignore it? People talk shit on the text chat in RL and it pissing you off this much?

I never get this interneet high ground argument, man. Everytime someone is bothered by this shit they get a "lol calm down" comment

I got really pissed at the moment. yeah. sorry! I guess you're a better person than me

I just don't see what's so weird about wanting to let off some steam and have a good time with a game you love when you can relax in your house and suddenly encounter this shit

what's so bad about getting angry over someone purposefuly trying to get you to? I guess im a whimpy bastard cause I'd prefer people be respectful in games. Boo me.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Don't know the text chat, since I don't speak Portugese. But suddenly?! Uh, dude, Rocket League has been toxic since like September of last year. It's why they added that report button. Community has been going downhill for a while.

It's the only mode I play and it's always easy to find a game. Good thing about 3 person teams is it's difficult for the other team to even know that you're playing terribly anyway, plus you can hide your rank.

Just be careful of that 50-0-0-0 score line of shame.

Pogonip

Neo Member
I don't find things too bad on PS4 since it takes a huge amount of time to even type a well thought out insult using the on screen keyboard, so I figure most people don't bother since it takes away time that you could be playing. Some do try though, and they're usually people who aren't good in the first place or just really need to let their anger out.

I wouldn't take anything personal anyone says on chat. Likely they're either:
1) trying to work you up (as what trash talk is meant for)
or
2) frustrated at how their game has been lately, maybe they're losing a lot and need to just let all their rage out. Whether it's blaming you, the other team, their own team, the game, the ranking system etc.

I understand where you're coming from. I've had experienced with some assholes. Usually I just tell them that I love them and value them as a player. Except when its my own teammate. They insult or harass me, I don't even respond. Maybe a friendly emoji. :p

I like to try and take the road of not eacalating a bad exchange of words. I occasionally am unsuccessful.

I've caught second-hand frustration from the few times I've watches my cousin play League of Legends. It's awful, especially because he escalates the insults and refuses to take on a different, better way of dealing with insults. That shit is toxic as hell.

Its been something I dislike since when I have first started playing on PC, being match made with a group always ends in someone being toxic

JP_

Banned
Why is 'not minding being around complete shitheads' a pre-requisite to play games?

Referring to comments like

Mental breakdown?

Some people seem to think it's a badge of honor but most adults just don't put up with that crap. I think it's partly why games seem stupid to so many people.

TGMIII

I never get this interneet high ground argument, man. Everytime someone is bothered by this shit they get a "lol calm down" comment

I got really pissed at the moment. yeah. sorry! I guess you're a better person than me

I just don't see what's so weird about wanting to let off some steam and have a good time with a game you love when you can relax in your house and suddenly encounter this shit

what's so bad about getting angry over someone purposefuly trying to get you to? I guess im a whimpy bastard cause I'd prefer people be respectful in games. Boo me.

So look at your options if it bothers you this much.

Use mute/report functions.
Stop playing.

That's it, that's all you can do because you're not able to get every potential teammate to not start spewing shit. I get that you're frustrated but what do you want anyone here to do, just come in and agree with you? Then what? Everything stays the same regardless.

The WOW WHAT A SAVE thing made me laugh so hard.

Like the namecalling is bad but that's so harmless it's hilarious.

Why is 'not minding being around complete shitheads' a pre-requisite to play games?

Referring to comments like

While I don't necessarily agree with these comments, I do think he's being a tad bit ridiculous when it comes to saying RL has the worst community. Chivalry is far, far worse.

I had some guy ride on me after an off game in 2k15. I replied back "Thanks for the feedback". He thought it was funny and wanted to become friends.

Salsa

So look at your options if it bothers you this much.

Use mute/report functions.
Stop playing.

That's it, that's all you can do because you're not able to get every potential teammate to not start spewing shit. I get that you're frustrated but what do you want anyone here to do, just come in and agree with you? Then what? Everything stays the same regardless.

im pretty specific n the actual OP that I don't know what the report function does and would like to know

besides that, there's more than one Psyonix guy on GAF

idk. it's a forum. Im complaining? where people might see? share an experience? vent?

its just a thread man. I was motivated to post it cause I got paired with a guy I reported 3 times and i've seen the community get more hostile since release. is all.

Yeah I don't understand why so many people are saying this. Toxicity is getting out of hand in the majority of multiplayer games and is inevitably very unhealthy for the community in general. Devs need to take greater steps to address griefing for sure. Honestly, if I see repeated instances of an incredibly toxic community in games, I am more inclined to just wipe my hands of the ordeal and play something else. Occasional insults I can handle, but when it starts creeping into almost every match that's when it's time to stop.

I can't believe the amount of people in this thread trying to defend this kind of behaviour.

You are absolutley right OP, there's a line and the RL community crosses it far too regularly.

I have a friend who regularly gets racially abused on RL. He's white, but he has 'monkey' in his username.

The other night someone was yelling at their team mate because they messed up, said they had down syndrome.

Add on top of that shit the regular barrage of quick chat wind ups and spam, and it really is a toxic community. Anyone who joins in should be ashamed.

I hate to be that guy who brings a totally unrelated game into the discussion, but this is why I'm actually glad Splatoon doesn't support chat, at least among randoms.

I'm not sure I'd be enjoying that game as much as I am if I had to deal with morons all the time.
Especially since in my case, I probably am playing poorly

Zyae

On the south american server comment, Wasn't there a mmo game where the devs had to give Brazilians their own server because they were ruining the game.

Complaints about South Americans and Russians seem to be pretty common theme around Multiplayer games. I wonder if they are grounded in reality or not or just a perpetuated thing.

Rembrandt

Banned
Yeah I don't understand why so many people are saying this. Toxicity is getting out of hand in the majority of multiplayer games and is inevitably very unhealthy for the community in general. Devs need to take greater steps to address griefing for sure.

It has always been a thing and will continue to be. Either not let it get to you that much, ignore it, block them or leave the game.

I get annoyed by it but I would quit before I let it negatively affect my day or mood for more than a quick second.

Start missing goals and shots on purpose. Be an asshole back.

Salsa

Complaints about South Americans and Russians seem to be pretty common theme around Multiplayer games. I wonder if they are grounded in reality or not or just a perpetuated thing.

brazil and russia are among the biggest countries.

i'd guess that's all

Salsa

It has always been a thing and will continue to be. Either not let it get to you that much, ignore it, block them or leave the game.

I get annoyed by it but I would quit before I let it negatively affect my day or mood for more than a quick second.

"people are dicks, so be a dick!"

thanks we solved it. mp games are now great again

Salsa

afaik, he said it's the most toxic "i've seen"

yeah I gather that's important. I've never used XBLA or truly played HALO or COD or MOBAs much

last game I got this deep into was TF2, and since south american servers were few it kind of developed a really good supportive community, which was nice

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I got to say that I love that you could have called him a lot of things and just used salame xD

I know Salsa, i know.
Uruguay Noma.
Another member for UruGAF? :O

The 'eye for an eye' approach in this case is probably what has lead to toxicity being so rampant. I will defend myself, but I won't spew out random insults to people because that's not how I handle stuff. In Heroes I can shrug it off entirely because the people who are raging are generally doing the worst.

Like I don't want to get home from a stressful eight hour day to be insulted by mouth breathers all night when trying to enjoy myself haha.I'm glad you can deal with it tho, others can't.

Yeah let me tell you about a little game called Dota 2.... That community......

Good example here. I haven't touched that game solely because I've seen how toxic that community can be.

I see you rant about it a lot, but I play the game a ton too (on PC) and don't seem to come across i as much as you. At least this game doesn't stand out to me as having a worse community than other online games.

Top Bottom