• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith 2014 |OT| - Everything is improved, except the OT.

Soooo excited.

Surely Bullet in the Head is a lock also?

Dan Amrich has confirmed on Reddit that four of the songs are from the debut album...

This would be my list, not sure if some of them are possible because I think there's some weird stuff going on with the guitar that would be recreatable in Rocksmith.

Killing in the Name
Know Your Enemy
Take The Power Back
Bombtrack
Bulls on Parade
Testify
Guerrilla Radio

Rage Against the Machine Song Pack (I-II) – $15.99

Rage Against The Machine I – $9.99
Rage Against The Machine II – $7.99

Rage Against The Machine “Bombtrack”
Rage Against The Machine “Bulls On Parade” – Eb Standard
Rage Against The Machine “Down Rodeo”
Rage Against The Machine “Killing In The Name” – Drop D
Rage Against The Machine “Know Your Enemy” – (No Rhythm)
Rage Against The Machine “Renegades Of Funk” – Drop D
Rage Against The Machine “Wake Up” – Drop D

Down Rodeo eh? Wouldn't be Rocksmith dlc without at least one baffling choice.

Pretty good overall, would ditch the evil empire tracks for Bullet and Freedom personally.

Gustav

Banned

When will this hit on Steam?

Down Rodeo eh? Wouldn't be Rocksmith dlc without at least one baffling choice.

Pretty good overall, would ditch the evil empire tracks for Bullet and Freedom personally.

Don't overlook the basslines! There's sting skipping, high fret boarding, and some off-beat grooves to get to grips with. It's not overly taxing, but I can imagine it's a nice option for those playing bass.

jumper

I was only going to pick up a couple of these, but after seeing Rocksmith's video, I think I want the whole pack. They look damn fun to play.

Fucking up again! No Rage 4 pack, 7 pack or Know Your Enemy on PS3 or PS4 till later... Goddammit

Well, be thankful you have some content available and you're not in Europe, where we have a 99% chance of getting a store update in a few hours that won't include any Rocksmith content whatsoever (or, like last week, four completely random songs).

how do they keep screwing it up?

PSA for EU PS4 players - the DLC count on the store has increased from 78 to 135 out of the blue...

Fingers crossed that this is the start of a major update today and we'll get Rage after all...

SuperPac

Game with cable is back on sale at Amazon. I missed it last time - got in on it this time.

What's a decently good inexpensive guitar to use with the game?

Game with cable is back on sale at Amazon. I missed it last time - got in on it this time.

What's a decently good inexpensive guitar to use with the game?

http://amzn.to/1wrTXEk - Rocksmith 2014 + Cable (All Platforms) $39.99

Nice catch!

I'd recommend an Fender Squier, Epiphone Les Paul Jr, Anything in the $200-$300 range should be fine for a beginner. My first guitar was a Yamaha Pacificia

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Yeah I'm just using this $30 Squier Strat I picked up at a pawn shop and it works just fine:
CtCpivtl.jpg

The Jimi Hendrix Experience “Bold As Love” – Eb Standard
The Jimi Hendrix Experience “Castles Made Of Sand” – E Standard: A428
The Jimi Hendrix Experience “Fire”
The Jimi Hendrix Experience “Foxey Lady”
Jimi Hendrix “Freedom” – Eb Standard
The Jimi Hendrix Experience “If 6 Was 9” – Eb Standard: A431
The Jimi Hendrix Experience “Little Wing” – Eb Standard
The Jimi Hendrix Experience “Manic Depression” – Eb Standard: A447
The Jimi Hendrix Experience “Purple Haze”
The Jimi Hendrix Experience “Red House” – Eb Standard – [No Bass]
The Jimi Hendrix Experience “The Wind Cries Mary”
The Jimi Hendrix Experience “Voodoo Child (Slight Return)” – Eb Standard: A437

£24 isn't too bad for all those songs, I guess. Would like to see them being played first to hear the Real Tone though. Hendrix is one of those tones you have to nail.

hesido

Guys, for the PS4 version... One review mentioned the low latency analogue path being non-existant because you have to run either through HDMI or the optical connector (unlike the analogue out of the PS3).. The review mentioned nothing of the DS4 output, which I think would be very low latency sound output. Anybody tried that with the PS4??

Guys, for the PS4 version... One review mentioned the low latency analogue path being non-existant because you have to run either through HDMI or the optical connector (unlike the analogue out of the PS3).. The review mentioned nothing of the DS4 output, which I think would be very low latency sound output. Anybody tried that with the PS4??
Not sure if it's possible, but even then it shouldn't really be lagfree. It's wireless and bluetooth, which means there's a lot of processing going on, and processing takes time unfortunately...

Bought the Hendrix pack, can't really comment on the tones since I'm not playing them well enough to hear the tones correctly, but interestingly the lyrics of all the songs ends with a copyright mention. Never seen any of the other songs do that. Thought that was odd.

sladeums

Played through all the Hendrix songs once.

Tones were really pretty good for the most part, I thought.
The outro to Purple Haze is pretty miserable however.

There's a few other gnarly sounding fills here and there but I think they did pretty decently considering how effects heavy and manipulated some of the original tracks are.

hesido

Not sure if it's possible, but even then it shouldn't really be lagfree. It's wireless and bluetooth, which means there's a lot of processing going on, and processing takes time unfortunately...

I'm hopeful: In remote play with my Vita on my home network, the sound comes significantly earlier compared to the TV, and in Resogun, simultaneous sound cues result in a much earlier sound output from my DS4. All this proves is that my TV is very laggy but there's hope. I can actually measure that DS4 latency with Singstar if I find a cheap speaker to connect to my DS4. Will keep you guys posted!

I have the PS4 version, but I haven't dabbled much because most of my DLC songs are still in SCEE purgatory.

I'm also a crap guitarist, so you may be better getting an opinion from someone with skill (Lucha, Toymachine, the dude with David Lynch in his avatar etc) but i've had no obvious trouble - certainly nothing as distracting as the weird freezes and frame drops on the PS3. For the record, my PS4 goes from optical out to a Denon Ceol Piccolo network stereo (no home cinema receiver so can't comment).

I know there's an IGN article complaining about lag on the current gen versions, but to be honest IGN is hardly Digital Foundry when it comes to this kind of stuff so don't get too hung up on their article. Aside from the countless EU content and pricing issues, it runs really smooth and quick and looks really sharp on my TV, noticeably better than it did on PS3.

There's also a lag compensation slider in there somewhere, or so I hear.

EDIT: Sorry, I misread your post - I thought you said PS4, not DS4 - let me know how you get on, but I would suggest lag is inevitable if streaming to the controller, it's noticeable enough in GTA when you have a phone call and the voice comes out of your controller and your TV.

I got RS yeasterday and I don't think I have ever before played my bass at home as much I have now done. This will work wonders to get into practising more!

I have a budget line d/a converter between PS4 and my stereo amp and I don't recognise any lag.

Song selection in vanilla seems a bit thin but I suppose DLC is the way to go. Where should I look for songs? The in-game store or Playstation store through my PS4? Or through a PC or phone? The selections seem to vary a bit, or am I not seeing something? I am on EU side.

Xyber

I got RS yeasterday and I don't think I have ever before played my bass at home as much I have now done. This will work wonders to get into practising more!

I have a budget line d/a converter between PS4 and my stereo amp and I don't recognise any lag.

Song selection in vanilla seems a bit thin but I suppose DLC is the way to go. Where should I look for songs? The in-game store or Playstation store through my PS4? Or through a PC or phone? The selections seem to vary a bit, or am I not seeing something? I am on EU side.

In-game or just browsing through PS Store should both work fine. But there seems to be some problems at Ubisoft with the adding of DLC to the EU store, so not everything is available now.

In-game or just browsing through PS Store should both work fine. But there seems to be some problems at Ubisoft with the adding of DLC to the EU store, so not everything is available now.

Okay, thanks for the info. Better get me some more Smashing Pumpkins, then.

Btw. the real tone cable's plug at the guitar side feels a bit loose. Anyone else noticed? I tried on two different basses with different jacks and it does not really feel like it sits tight and it gives some humm at times. Cheapest parts possible used I quess.

Xyber

Btw. the real tone cable's plug at the guitar side feels a bit loose. Anyone else noticed? I tried on two different basses with different jacks and it does not really feel like it sits tight and it gives some humm at times. Cheapest parts possible used I quess.

It sits nice and snug for me, but I don't know if they have made any minor changes to the cable since I got it with RS1.

Might be your guitar. My cable is super snug on my current guitar but was definitely loser on my cheap Led Paul Jr.

Might be your guitar. My cable is super snug on my current guitar but was definitely loser on my cheap Led Paul Jr.

Yeah I don't know...I have no issues with my jacks when I use my normal instrument cables when I use my amp. No humm or static and definetly not loose. Oh well, it still works even if it's a bit annoying.

Pretty pissed off at Castle Chordead not registering chords properly. If they throw like 5 dudes quickly at you and you play all chords in quick succession and then have to "clean up" what the game didn't register.

Pretty pissed off at Castle Chordead not registering chords properly. If they throw like 5 dudes quickly at you and you play all chords in quick succession and then have to "clean up" what the game didn't register.

I play the F5 way too sloppy to ever have success in this game

Xyber

I was annoyed at that too when I played it. Even very simple chords didn't want to register at times.

I really have to hammer the shit out of the chords in that game. Really not a fan.

Finally got around to picking up RS 2014 during the Amazon sale. I'm pretty impressed by the amount of content and the session mode and scale based mini games are great. Just wish I'd read the OT first, as the vertically oriented interface drove me crazy as I'm coming primarily from tablature based learning. Lag on my TV is annoying as well. Had to hook up the PS4 to the TV in the kitchen as that one has no perceptible lag. All in all, looking forward to improving on guitar. I do find the way they notate techniques to be pretty confusing as well; had to look into a guide.

Martal

Neo Member
Looking forward to joining the fray. I ordered my cable weeks ago, should be here soon (already almost a week late), got the game on the current Steam sale and I'm wanting to do something like an informal 60 day challenge and post updates about my journey. I was thinking of blogging about it but I'm not much of a blogger so I'll start here, see if anyone cares and then either continue either on NeoGAF or in private. I thought I'd start with my current experience :

I have picked at playing a guitar for a while, must've been 4-5 years ago when I first laid my hands on one. I didn't get lessons and preferred learning from the internet so I never got a firm grasp on the basics. So far I can do open chords, change between them, do some fingerpicking (the only full song I know is Time of your life by Green Day) ... and that's it. I can "play barre chords" when practicing, but I can't change from D into F in a song.

Im looking to learn songs from Rocksmith and see how far I can get before I give up! My dream is to play the solo from "Layla". Hopefully my cable will arrive this week and I can post an update next sunday about how I'm getting on with Rocksmith!

Coins

Banned
I have the PS4 version, but I haven't dabbled much because most of my DLC songs are still in SCEE purgatory.

I'm also a crap guitarist, so you may be better getting an opinion from someone with skill (Lucha, Toymachine, the dude with David Lynch in his avatar etc) but i've had no obvious trouble - certainly nothing as distracting as the weird freezes and frame drops on the PS3. For the record, my PS4 goes from optical out to a Denon Ceol Piccolo network stereo (no home cinema receiver so can't comment).

I know there's an IGN article complaining about lag on the current gen versions, but to be honest IGN is hardly Digital Foundry when it comes to this kind of stuff so don't get too hung up on their article. Aside from the countless EU content and pricing issues, it runs really smooth and quick and looks really sharp on my TV, noticeably better than it did on PS3.

There's also a lag compensation slider in there somewhere, or so I hear.

EDIT: Sorry, I misread your post - I thought you said PS4, not DS4 - let me know how you get on, but I would suggest lag is inevitable if streaming to the controller, it's noticeable enough in GTA when you have a phone call and the voice comes out of your controller and your TV.

Based on your forum name, you are a very intelligent individual we could all probably benefit from knowing!

Looking forward to joining the fray. I ordered my cable weeks ago, should be here soon (already almost a week late), got the game on the current Steam sale and I'm wanting to do something like an informal 60 day challenge and post updates about my journey. I was thinking of blogging about it but I'm not much of a blogger so I'll start here, see if anyone cares and then either continue either on NeoGAF or in private. I thought I'd start with my current experience :

I have picked at playing a guitar for a while, must've been 4-5 years ago when I first laid my hands on one. I didn't get lessons and preferred learning from the internet so I never got a firm grasp on the basics. So far I can do open chords, change between them, do some fingerpicking (the only full song I know is Time of your life by Green Day) ... and that's it. I can "play barre chords" when practicing, but I can't change from D into F in a song.

Im looking to learn songs from Rocksmith and see how far I can get before I give up! My dream is to play the solo from "Layla". Hopefully my cable will arrive this week and I can post an update next sunday about how I'm getting on with Rocksmith!

That'd be pretty cool if you updated on your own personal experience with it. I'm not sure that RS will help you learn the basics in a better manner than watching internet videos on the subject, but it will make the crucial aspect of "woodshedding" more enjoyable, cause let's face it, a lot of guitar boils down to insane repetition as you struggle to get your fingers and hands to burn certain movements into muscle memory. I've never bothered to practice in time with recordings in the past, so just this aspect of RS alone is really worth it to me.

I think the way it picks songs apart and then breaks them down into singular notes is pretty ingenious. It allows you to familiarize yourself with where your hands and fingers ought to be, and then once you've nailed that, it slowly and steadily ramps up the complexity of the number of notes you need to pick/fret before you're able to properly play the song. That way, you feel like you're at least somewhat involved in "playing a song" from start to finish instead of just endlessly noodling over certain sections ad infinitum. Of course, you can do that as well with the riff repeater, which is an insanely useful tool all in itself. I haven't even scratched the surface yet with the session mode either, which seems to be worth the price of admission all on its own.

Top Bottom