• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rodea the Sky Soldier |OT| NiGHTS & Punishment~The last good Wii game is in captivity

cireza

I want to like this game, but the controls are so unresponsive, the character flies so slow and the goals are so weird, it's just getting harder and harder. I'm sure the Wii version is a lot better, it's like they completely butchered the developer's vision for the 3DS/Wii U version.
Exactly the same feeling here. What a waste.

emb

I like what I've played. Up to about chapter 4 or 5 right now, so I've only seen a taste. Really cool though.

The thing that sticks out the most to me is something really minor. The menu design (at least the chapter select) feels really good. Would be nice to have rumble feedback too, but no big deal. I have fun just waving the pointer around on the menu like an idiot.

The flying is really fun. Feels great to just zip from point to point in this majestic little pattern. Walking around feels terrible though (I guess maybe on purpose to encourage flight?). Camera control is bad. But those are ok, because you're almost always flying.

Going in an arc everywhere seems a little weird. Can I fly quickly straight at something? If I just let go of B it seems to kinda burst that way, but not a full speed fly towards it.

Not sure what I can do the attack sometimes, and other times I can't. I don't think that was explained well, if at all.

It's a neat game, and I'm glad I picked it up. Gives a strong Nights vibe for sure.

(Playing the Wii version btw. I flipped the cover right away, swapped instruction manual order, put it on the shelf with the Wii games and I'm considering the Wii U version as the bonus. Shoutouts to NIS America for handling a Wii release in 2015 so well! They've included everything to make it a proper release for both systems. Will probably try the Wii U one soon just for comparison.)

Shizuka

Hey, here is a boss! You can't touch it, or it'll hurt you. You need to touch it in specific spots to take it down. It won't stay put for you, but you can't fly fast enough to get to those points without it moving. If it hits you, you're done. If you touch it to or three times, you're done. By the way, you need to hit all those points while the camera goes crazy because the boss is huge and it can't handle the entire boss at once.

Good luck!

Adam Blue

So is this not good?

I'm playing only the Wii version since that's the original intended version. I don't want to sound crazy, but I'm sorta getting the same feeling from when I played SM64 for the first time. These Wii controls should have been what was done when the Wii launched. I can't believe I'm doing so much with a couple of buttons. It's very old-school-japanese-like, and I'm loving it.

I've beaten levels that I know I haven't even fully explored yet and I'm excited to go back and do it. Exploring with the Wiimote is just so fun. If anyone is basing their opinions of the Wii U version, you could be missing out.

Pietepiet

Got the 3DS version in today from NISA and wow, people weren't lying about the framerate. This is pretty bad....I really hoped it'd be better than this, haha..Other than that, this particular version (Wii U/3DS) ain't so bad. It gets pretty snappy once you learn that you don't have to precisely aim the reticule.

That said, I'm still enjoying the Wii version much, much more. It feels really good to just move around in that one.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Hey, here is a boss! You can't touch it, or it'll hurt you. You need to touch it in specific spots to take it down. It won't stay put for you, but you can't fly fast enough to get to those points without it moving. If it hits you, you're done. If you touch it to or three times, you're done. By the way, you need to hit all those points while the camera goes crazy because the boss is huge and it can't handle the entire boss at once.

Good luck!

is there a reason you're playing the u version? it's kind of baffling to me that anyone is bothering with it to be honest.

Duster

The game seems fun but I've not been too keen on the talky bits I've seen so far, do they get any better?

This is going to sound an even dumber question but how should you play the Wii version?
It feels like I should be whizzing through ASAP but there also seems a lot to explore and collect (and kill?), is the challenge finding a balance between the two or is it designed so you can replay the level with different approaches?
Sort of like Mario where the game shines when you run through levels but you can replay them at a slower pace to collect all the star coins you missed.

AniHawk

The game seems fun but I've not been too keen on the talky bits I've seen so far, do they get any better?

This is going to sound an even dumber question but how should you play the Wii version?
It feels like I should be whizzing through ASAP but there also seems a lot to explore and collect (and kill?), is the challenge finding a balance between the two or is it designed so you can replay the level with different approaches?
Sort of like Mario where the game shines when you run through levels but you can replay them at a slower pace to collect all the star coins you missed.

you can speedrun and also explore. some of the speedrunning in the wii version is kind of crazy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txMu5HqUER8

rjc571

Banned

There's no incentive to complete the levels quickly while getting a high gem collection total at the same time, as the game keeps track of your best rankings for the two categories separately. The way I played it is to go through the levels slowly the first time to try and find all the medals and collect enough gems for the gem S-rank, then immediately replayed them while they were still fresh in my mind to try and speed through them fast enough for the time trial S-rank, before going on to the next chapter. Then after getting the time trial S-rank for each boss chapter I went back to find any medals I missed in the previous 4 chapters.

Duster

Judging by that video and the following post it looks like speedrunning is probably not the best thing to do during the first playthrough of a level, sounds like the explore first and speed later approach is the best option, thanks.

NiMDWKn.jpg

Shizzlee

you can speedrun and also explore. some of the speedrunning in the wii version is kind of crazy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txMu5HqUER8

Oh snap I got linked. I'm more proud of my chapter 2 cause I nailed the two skips. I'm trying to learn the game one chapter at a time. It's a frustrating, but very fun and rewarding experience. This person has been running it since the Japanese release and has been a good learning resource for me so far. Haven't had this much trying to run a game since Sonic Generations.

Judging by that video it looks like speedrunning is probably not the best thing to do during the first playthrough of a level, sounds like the explore first and speed later approach is the best option, thanks.

Agreed. Game should be experienced normally first. Learning how to blast through it is just as fun though.

correojon

The major consensus seems to be that the Wii version is more enjoyable so...is it available on the eShop or I can only buy the WiiU version?

OnPoint

Started playing this the other day. I wish it supported the nunchuck for the movement. It's not a bad game. But I really wish it came out when it was supposed to. It feels like a release out of time.

Amalthea

Banned
the wii u version is far more forgiving here. every time you blow up one of the vent things it creates a checkpoint. the wii version is a straight up endurance run.
Dang. I made it to the point where it uses the chestbeam or whatever. No idea how I'm gonna do it...

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
After Best Buy lost my original package, Rodea finally arrived today.

I pre-ordered Rodea on a whim, mostly out of curiosity more than anticipation. How could I pass up on the chance to play two copies of one game with two completely different gameplay visions from their creators? Well I bow to Naka after tonight. Rodea Wii is a gem of a gameplay idea wrapped in a shitty presentation and held back by some odd control decisions (why can't I use a nunchuck for the camera?). But when it works, damn does it feel good! The WiiU version on the other hand..... Holy shit. What a turd. I mean it's a gigantic turd. Quite honestly, it might be the worst game I have ever played. The controls are just awful, somehow it looks and runs worse than the Wii version, and and holy crap, did I mention that the controls are bad? I mention the controls twice because it's doubly dumbfounding when you realize that the wiimote works so wonderfully for the wii version, why would you not at least leave the vastly superior original control scheme in? Controlling Rodea WiiU is what I imagine controlling a 2D sonic with a touchscreen is like.

Tizoc

Just got my US copy!
WHICH IS 2 DISCS IN 1
AND HAS A REVERSIBLE COVER

How am I supposed to sell off the Wii U ver. now lol.

Ah now worries I can always just grab a Wii box, slap the Wii game and cover on.
Then replace th box for th Wii U ver. with anoter game, print the cover, slap it on the U box and boom pre-owned copy~

TheMoon

Just got my US copy!
WHICH IS 2 DISCS IN 1
AND HAS A REVERSIBLE COVER

How am I supposed to sell off the Wii U ver. now lol.

Ah now worries I can always just grab a Wii box, slap the Wii game and cover on.
Then replace th box for th Wii U ver. with anoter game, print the cover, slap it on the U box and boom pre-owned copy~

And that's exactly the way to do it :)

Pila

Playing the Wii version, game looks fun. I just played the first four chapters so I'm still at the start but flying feels nice. How many chapters there are? Spoiler tag maybe... :)

So, is the infamous Wii U version that bad? Should I even try it out?

Playing the Wii version, game looks fun. I just played the first four chapters so I'm still at the start but flying feels nice. How many chapters there are? Spoiler tag maybe... :)

So, is the infamous Wii U version that bad? Should I even try it out?

It is very personal what counts as that bad. The consensus is that it's worse than Wii version, especially in technical department, but the opinions on gameplay seem to vary. The thing is, Rodea is slower. I think for some people that's enough to disqualify the U version, but I may be wrong.

So how rare are we expecting the Wii version to be? My launch special edition has been sitting at my parents address as I forgot to change the delivery info when I moved. Can't wait to pick it up!

Pila

It is very personal what counts as that bad. The consensus is that it's worse than Wii version, especially in technical department, but the opinions on gameplay seem to vary. The thing is, Rodea is slower. I think for some people that's enough to disqualify the U version, but I may be wrong.

Gotcha, thanks. Here's hope I'll find time to give it a try, for now I'll play the Wii one.

Ok, so is there like a ban for reviewing the Wii version of the game or what? Here we are, 18 days after the release of this game, and there's no reviews? I know reviewers weren't given a copy of the game to review, but you're telling me none of these guys were at least halfway interested in trying the game out and giving enough fucks to review it?

I'm enjoying the game myself, I guess that's all that matters, not what others are saying, but even still, so odd to see NO ONE reviewing this game by now.

zroid

Banned
Ok, so is there like a ban for reviewing the Wii version of the game or what? Here we are, 18 days after the release of this game, and there's no reviews? I know reviewers weren't given a copy of the game to review, but you're telling me none of these guys were at least halfway interested in trying the game out and giving enough fucks to review it?

I'm enjoying the game myself, I guess that's all that matters, not what others are saying, but even still, so odd to see NO ONE reviewing this game by now.

It sucks but I can't say I'm all that surprised. Game is so niche as it is so what's the point for the review sites to buy copies of the game to write articles no one will read.

AniHawk

there have been a couple reviews, but they don't tend to show up on metacritic. you kind of have to seek them out.

this is the one i remember off the top of my head since they reviewed all three versions:
http://snapthirty.com/2015/11/21/rodea-the-sky-soldier-review-wii/

Marow

Finished the Wii version. It's honesty really fun once you get the hang of the controls and general pacing (which might be never to some, sadly). The game does have a few stinkers in terms of levels, sadly, and it does have a few unpolished areas. But still, it's really fun and it's sad it got stuck in limbo for years. It also reminded me of how much I love the Wiimote and miss it. So, yeah, cool experience but I'm not entirely sure I'll go back to 100% it due to some minor frustrating/unpolished aspects and besides, I nearly got all hidden coins for for most levels anyway!

On another note, did the game freeze for anyone else upon beating it? Couldn't even turn off my Wii U and had to pull the plug. Kinda strange. Anyone else experienced this?

Might try the Wii U version for fun later, I guess.

So, if I get this now, it will still be a first-print copy that includes the Wii version... right?

You're probably ordering online, but if you actually plan on going to a physical store to buy the game, there's a sticker on the outside that says it has the bonus Wii version

On another note, did the game freeze for anyone else upon beating it? Couldn't even turn off my Wii U and had to pull the plug. Kinda strange. Anyone else experienced this?

This exact same thing happened to me too. It's almost like there was supposed to be an end screen or something but it never came.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
You're probably ordering online, but if you actually plan on going to a physical store to buy the game, there's a sticker on the outside that says it has the bonus Wii version

Do you have a picture? I don't recall such a sticker before...I need to poke around Best Buy to see if their remaining copies has the Wii version still inside.

Do you have a picture? I don't recall such a sticker before...I need to poke around Best Buy to see if their remaining copies has the Wii version still inside.

It was on the shrinkwrap for me. A red sticker with white text. Circular.

I got mine through the mail from Gamestop.

Marow

This exact same thing happened to me too. It's almost like there was supposed to be an end screen or something but it never came.
Glad to see more confirmatons on this. USA or EU?

After having dug around, it seems that non-Japanese versions actually miss the files needed which is why it results in a crash.

SilentRob

Ok, so is there like a ban for reviewing the Wii version of the game or what? Here we are, 18 days after the release of this game, and there's no reviews? I know reviewers weren't given a copy of the game to review, but you're telling me none of these guys were at least halfway interested in trying the game out and giving enough fucks to review it.

At least in my case NISA only provided a code for the Wii U Version. Guessing its the same with other outlets.

AniHawk

i got the same system crash. seems that it might be for all retail copies. on the plus side, the level still saved and first-person mode still unlocks.

Duster

I'm guessing most will be past chapter 12 by now but I'll still post a warning about a bug (Wii).

There's a part where you have to get a keycard from one of those crab tank thingys, if screw up the fight it will walk off it's platform in the direction it's facing and keep going meaning it gets beyond your reach and you have to restart the level. So make sure you don't lose your power-ups.

That was after windy and stealth-lite sections too, I should post it in the worst level of the year thread (but I won't).

Khaz

The sticker is highly misleading though. It just says "Bonus game inside!" without saying what game it is. For all we know it's just an extra minigame or whatever. If you look at the back cover, there are two tiny check boxes for console compatibility: only the WiiU box is checked, not the Wii box. With the addition that the game isn't stored in the Wii aisle, there is no indication at all that there is a Wii game hiding in that WiiU box.

When I went to buy it yesterday I noticed these things. As I heard the Wii disc was only for the first prints, I thought I got it too late and that the game I was buying was only for WiiU. I opened the case and checked for the Wii disc right outside of the shop, to be able to be reimbursed if it wasn't there.

TheMoon

The sticker is highly misleading though. It just says "Bonus game inside!" without saying what game it is. For all we know it's just an extra minigame or whatever. If you look at the back cover, there are two tiny check boxes for console compatibility: only the WiiU box is checked, not the Wii box. With the addition that the game isn't stored in the Wii aisle, there is no indication at all that there is a Wii game hiding in that WiiU box.

When I went to buy it yesterday I noticed these things. As I heard the Wii disc was only for the first prints, I thought I got it too late and that the game I was buying was only for WiiU. I opened the case and checked for the Wii disc right outside of the shop, to be able to be reimbursed if it wasn't there.

What's misleading about it? There's an extra game inside, chances are you know what that game is if you're the type of person who's buying Rodea in the first place. So if that sticker is on there, that's really all you need to know. The back art can't tick the Wii box because the Wii U game, which this case art is for cannot be played on a Wii. And since this set includes reversible cover art for the Wii game you got that covered there as well. Nothing misleading about any of this, just not very informative for someone who doesn't already know about this game.

Khaz

just not very informative for someone who doesn't already know about this game.

Isn't that the whole point of marketing though? Like writing what's actually inside the box to drive potential customers to buy it? "Bonus game" isn't the best way to describe a Wii game, and the Wii box should definitely be checked as there is a playable Wii game in there.

TheMoon

Isn't that the whole point of marketing though? Like writing what's actually inside the box to drive potential customers to buy it? "Bonus game" isn't the best way to describe a Wii game, and the Wii box should definitely be checked as there is a playable Wii game in there.

No, the Wii box cannot be checked. That's not what that table is for, the table denotes what hardware can play the game being sold to you which is the Wii U version of Rodea (also the one being described on the back in general). It could/should be mentioned elsewhere in more detail, however. Ticking that box implies you can play Rodea Wii U on your Wii which would be actually misleading information. You can play all the things in that box on your Wii U but not the other way around.

Top Bottom