• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story |OT| They rebel - SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vader scene is great, the terror is real, the horror is there.

as a lead-up to ANH, i don't really buy any of it. slashy Vader is not ANH Vader. totally different demeanor.

As has been clarified before, the dialogue says that Raddus has returned to his ship and will be going to fight, not that he has already left.
The droids got on board before he left.

Leland Chee of the Lucasfilm story group says that there are only "Hours, if that" between the ending of R1 and the beginning of ANH.

And if fan math is your jam, someone calculated roughly that it would take about 10 hours to get from Scarif to Tatooine. Since make believe doesn't have to follow rules it's not necessarily true, but for now it's a decent enough guess.

Did they clarify why Leia tried to pretend she was on a "Diplomatic Mission" when Vader just saw her leave a war zone?

Mr-Joker

Banned
Watched it yesterday, probably the only decent Star Wars movies but still pretty meh as none of the character got any development time and the main character was devoid of any personalty.

But after watching this movie I decided to never watch another Star Wars movie ever again.

Did they clarify why Leia tried to pretend she was on a "Diplomatic Mission" when Vader just saw her leave a war zone?

She was still under the impression that the senate mattered. Even Motti was shown as being concerned with continued sympathy for the rebels in the senate.

Legal bluffing. Basically, the cop rolled up after she had already tossed the chronic out the window and she looked him right in the eye and said, "Prove it, I aint got shit."

With the plans already hurling down toward Tatooine, this was her best legal defense. It was a long shot in the first place. Unfortunately for her, they didn't give a shit because the senate was getting dissolved as they spoke. No more rules, just Death Star.

Man, sucks so much for Bail. Like, he could have just stayed on Yavin, and he'd have not died.

Also, I thought Vader was completely off in all of his scenes. He just felt like a different character.

aBarreras

Vader scene is great, the terror is real, the horror is there.

as a lead-up to ANH, i don't really buy any of it. slashy Vader is not ANH Vader. totally different demeanor.

i mean thats just because alec guiness was old, vader was always mean to be a force of nature

-shadow-

I wonder what the blu-ray will include in regards to deleted scenes. Because I really wonder what the original ending was like before the reshoots. I don't need an alternate cut, but some insight would be awesome.

After getting out of my third showing I finally have an appreciation of the music. The new Empire theme/Death Star theme is really good.

Man, sucks so much for Bail. Like, he could have just stayed on Yavin, and he'd have not died.

Also, I thought Vader was completely off in all of his scenes. He just felt like a different character.

I thought he felt pretty much the same until the pun, then slightly less than pretty much the same. His finger waving at Krennic was cute.

LionPride

Banned
Some people seem devoid of joy.

It's similar to the same issue that "Smart Marks" have with pro wrestling. They be so in the know that they end up ruining things for themselves and completely devoid of any entertainment value because they know so much.

With films, people believe they are above seeing Vader slaughter Rebels to prove some strange point about being intellectuals who are free thinkers away form the masses I guess? It's strange

Burt

The Vader scene is not important. That scene could have been completely excised from the film and it would not change a single thing narratively about the characters or the overall story. Just showing the plans getting to Leia is enough to demonstrate that this is just the beginning. I don't think it reinforces how close it was since we could see that happening on Scarif itself. We see the characters taking and spending these chances moment to moment relying on luck and circumstance. It's more effective when it happens with the characters we've spent time with (even if they are boring). Passing their little piece of hope from nameless redshirt to nameless redshirt doesn't add much to their sacrifice. I'm not invested in those redshirts. They don't mean anything, not even on the larger they-represent-the-rebellion sense. Our representation of the rebellion are Jyn, et al. If the plans passed among them or the others sacrificed themselves so that Jyn could deliver it, then I could be more satisfied. That scene would be stronger and not just fanservice. But as it stands, that's all it is. It's great fanservice. It got me excited, but that's all it is.
Eh, I think emphasizing just how narrow the path to success was absolutely serves a purpose. Even when I was watching it in the theater, my first thought was the parallel between that and one of my favorite scenes in, honestly, pretty much any movie ever: the docking scene in Interstellar.

That scene is an incredible scene out of context and on its own immediate merit. The cinematography, the swell of the music, the acting, the effects, everything is pretty much flawlessly executed. But beyond that, its greater contextual meaning really adds a "whoa" factor. It isn't just about those people or that ship or that mission or even the whole planet -- literally the entire future of humanity, forever, is compressed down into whether or not those little docking teeth latch together. So many movies do the whole "save the world" thing, but it's incredibly rare to get an effective and powerful visual metaphor that really drives home what it means to save the world by the skin of your teeth.

That's what the Vader scene in Rogue One was to me. Things were close on Scarif, sure, but in that typical action movie sense, regardless of how beautiful it was shot or how much I doubted they'd go in for the finality of their conclusion. It didn't feel much different from stopping some timer at 00:01 or... I dunno, the conclusion of any Marvel movie, really. But that Vader scene and those four inches of space the plans get through -- that's the whole Star Wars universe there, right in those four inches.

No, it's not functionally useful to the narrative, but it certainly has value. It's a movie, not a technical handbook, after all.

Speculator

BioWare Austin
There's a lot of comments in regards to Vader seeing Leia's ship leave the battle with the plans (which I don't mind at all in a story point of view)...but the Tantive IV is just one of many CR90 corvettes the Rebels used. Vader might not have even known which ship it was.

Eh, I think emphasizing just how narrow the path to success was absolutely serves a purpose. Even when I was watching it in the theater, my first thought was the parallel between that and one of my favorite scenes in, honestly, pretty much any movie ever: the docking scene in Interstellar.

That scene is an incredible scene out of context and on its own immediate merit. The cinematography, the swell of the music, the acting, the effects, everything is pretty much flawlessly executed. But beyond that, its greater contextual meaning really adds a "whoa" factor. It isn't just about those people or that ship or that mission or even the whole planet -- literally the entire future of humanity, forever, is compressed down into whether or not those little docking teeth latch together. So many movies do the whole "save the world" thing, but it's incredibly rare to get an effective and powerful visual metaphor that really drives home what it means to save the world by the skin of your teeth.

That's what the Vader scene in Rogue One was to me. Things were close on Scarif, sure, but in that typical action movie sense, regardless of how beautiful it was shot or how much I doubted they'd go in for the finality of their conclusion. It didn't feel much different from stopping some timer at 00:01 or... I dunno, the conclusion of any Marvel movie, really. But that Vader scene and those four inches of space the plans get through -- that's the whole Star Wars universe there, right in those four inches.

No, it's not functionally useful to the narrative, but it certainly has value. It's a movie, not a technical handbook, after all.

I don't disagree that it's a well-made sequence. It is straight up, without a doubt beautiful. However, having those four inches be the fulcrum upon which the Star Wars universe is hinged without the inclusion of any of the main characters makes it weaker than it could have been. Our main characters had nothing to do with those four inches at all. I don't get invested in goals, I get invested in characters. If any of the main characters were there to see the plans get to the other ship, I could be more invested in the plight, but nameless redshirts getting slaughtered for the cause is boring to me. I'd rather not have Vader be the final boss, but if you want to keep it in, then I think it should definitely serve the narrative. As it is, it's empty tension.

-griffy-

Banned
I don't disagree that it's a well-made sequence. It is straight up, without a doubt beautiful. However, having those four inches be the fulcrum upon which the Star Wars universe is hinged without the inclusion of any of the main characters makes it weaker than it could have been. Our main characters had nothing to do with those four inches at all. I don't get invested in goals, I get invested in characters. If any of the main characters were there to see the plans get to the other ship, I could be more invested in the plight, but nameless redshirts getting slaughtered for the cause is boring to me. I'd rather not have Vader be the final boss, but if you want to keep it in, then I think it should definitely serve the narrative. As it is, it's empty tension.

They have everything to do with those 4 inches, because that data tape doesn't exist without them.That is literally their sacrifice being passed forward. It matters because if that tape doesn't make it their sacrifice was for nothing. That's the investment.

They have everything to do with those 4 inches, because that data tape doesn't exist without them.That is literally their sacrifice being passed forward.

They're so far removed from it, though. They don't even know it's happening. For some people, they love that. It makes the characters small cogs in a bigger system. Me? I don't like it. The movie doesn't play anything like that. It doesn't play them as small parts. After all, it's a space opera. I don't think such a "pivotal" moment should be that far removed from the main characters.

the Vader scene worked for me as a kinetic thing. the frantic energy and the lighting of it all was great. it's a cool little sequence that hints at a much more interesting movie. it's the one bit in the film that isn't tied to the plot (meaning Vader could've been cut entirely and the basic plot would've stayed the same) and that's why it works so good. it's raw, it's emotional. it's a rare thing in a now over-explained series.

but as part of a story it doesn't really add anything. it's not like the plans were ever in danger. if the point was to establish Vader as a crazy psycho one-man-army force of nature, that characterization is abandoned as soon as ANH starts.

Burt

Well, I can get behind the sentiment that the inclusion of a main character would've affected the scene positively. The idea that they could've baited us into thinking one of them got out alive, then seeing Vader's saber light their face up red kinda tickles my... emotional rollercoaster-bone. But then you're getting into someone actually figuring out how to get off the surface (or not being there in the first place) and that'd call for a lot of rewriting. I'm okay with the crew staying together and everyone dying on the mission.

Well, I can get behind the sentiment that the inclusion of a main character would've affected the scene positively. The idea that they could've baited us into thinking one of them got out alive, then seeing Vader's saber light their face up red kinda tickles my... emotional rollercoaster-bone. But then you're getting into someone actually figuring out how to get off the surface (or not being there in the first place) and that'd call for a lot of rewriting. I'm okay with the crew staying together and everyone dying on the mission.

I love emotional rollercoasters. Teasing us with someone surviving -- when we all knew that they were going to die -- and then having Vader kill that person as they delivered the plans would have been great. But, in order to do so, they would've had to change up some things. Still, we got what we got. Can't change anything about it.

They're so far removed from it, though. They don't even know it's happening. For some people, they love that. It makes the characters small cogs in a bigger system. Me? I don't like it. The movie doesn't play anything like that. It doesn't play them as small parts. After all, it's a space opera. I don't think such a "pivotal" moment should be that far removed from the main characters.

The whole focus of the movie was to highlight the role small cogs have played.

That final Vader sequence encapsulates and reinforces the theme of the movie in a microcosm.

Just saw it. I really liked it. As Jest Chillin mentioned above, it's a movie about the small cogs in the war and I loved it for that. I liked the main characters; not sure why some people thought they were hollow. Not everyone is destined to be the great hero -- these were the footsoldiers who got shit done (at a terrible price) and enabled the main trilogy cast to be the heroes that defeated the Empire. And thank god we finally got an explanation for the ridiculous flaw in the Death Star lol.

Watched it yesterday. I had no clue what the movie is about and didn't even see a poster for it. So I went not knowing what to expect and not knowing a death star would be in the movie.
I really liked it, I thought it would be set after the original parts and was confused a bit at the start. Then I realized it was set before new hope.
Really liked the plot and how it solved the reason the death star has such an obvious design flaw.
Also, Peter Cushing is alive?! That confused me too. The CGI was really good.

Mariolee

This is a beautifully written sentiment that encapsulates why I found this sequence so brilliant.

sphagnum

Banned
Will this movie make any sense for someone who hasn't seen any of the other Star Wars movies?

Yes, although it would help if you already knew some stuff like what the Force is and what happened to the Jedi. But basically all you need to know is there's a big evil Empire building a superweapon and a Rebellion against it.

jackal27

Banned
Was talking with a pair of college students today and they had NO idea that
Tarkin
was CG! They thought I was messing with them!

Makes me wonder, if I hadn't watched so much of the original or knew the actor was dead, would I have noticed?

99Luffy

Banned
Is there a reason the imperials didn't just blow the Mon Cal ship out of the galaxy? Why did they have to board it?

Not that I'm complaining because we got that sweet, sweet Vader.
I assumed the deathstar takes awhile to re-position and or charge the weapon. Im watching the show and it seems it takes a looong ass time to destroy capital ships with just regular ship weapons.

Tarkin

Makes me wonder, if I hadn't watched so much of the original or knew the actor was dead, would I have noticed?
I noticed and I barely remember the OT. I think its cause he was too animated. They would show Krennic and then cut to Tarkin who for some reason has like 10x the amount of facial muscles moving. Was that Senate lady CGI though? Edit: lol they just got an actor that looks just like her.

Ghazi

Tarkin

I have seen the original only once, but knew Peter Cushing is dead, and it was very obvious to me. It isn't "bad" CG, it just isn't convincing (that's bad) and the longer you got to look at it the more obvious it became.

Chuckie

A better question is how Leia's ship even escaped in the first place. You'd think they'd have star destroyers looking out for people trying to escape.

Well if I recall correctly it was the Devastator that was actually the star destroyer that was preventing the Mon Calamari ship to escape. Most of the fleet already jumped to hyperspace. I could imagine that while the Devastator was busy with the Mon Cal ship, the Tantive IV escaped its attention and jumped to hyperspace too.
After that the Devastator does the same (or some time later) and then ANH starts.

I am so tired of Zimmer it's ridiculous. Danny Elfman, Alan Silvestri, Howard Shore and Harry Gregson-Williams are still around and yet Hans Zimmer (or his studio being billed as him) were getting literally every blockbuster film for a few summers, it was ridiculous.

Agreed, and if it isn't Zimmer, it's one of his assistants. Giacchino stands out a bit more because his music is much more traditionally orchestrated compared to other composers of his generation. He doesn't reinvent the wheel, but he doesn't have to.

I thought his RO score was solid. Not good as Episode VII score though, IMO, but good nonetheless.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Saw this last night , loved it, and surprisingly enough, the wife (who hated the original trilogy and moreso the prequels) loved it too.

kubus

Tarkin

I've seen the original films only once, had no idea who Peter Cushing is or that he died. When Tarkin appeared in Rogue One I noticed instantly that he was CGI. Funny thing is, I did know Leia was put in the film so I was worried her CGI would look super fake as well, but when she appeared I couldn't believe I was looking at computer graphics. Leia looked super real to me.

Chuckie

I've seen the original films only once, had no idea who Peter Cushing is or that he died. When Tarkin appeared in Rogue One I noticed instantly that he was CGI. Funny thing is, I did know Leia was put in the film so I was worried her CGI would look super fake as well, but when she appeared I couldn't believe I was looking at computer graphics. Leia looked super real to me.

Same thing kinda happened to me...as in I did know Tarkin but didn't know Peter Cushing was no longer alive.
The moment I saw Tarkin onscreen my first thought was: Oh....I didn't know he passed away :(

Surfinn

I really wish we could get stats on how many people (who didn't know the actor is dead) recognized that Tarkin was CGI. I'm willing to be it's a LOT lower than people think, despite being noticeable upon inspection.

I really wish we could get stats on how many people (who didn't know the actor is dead) recognized that Tarkin was CGI. I'm willing to be it's a LOT lower than people think, despite being noticeable upon inspection.

I went with my dad and my friend last night, and all of us noticed right away. It's really obvious IMO. Still, it didn't bother me.

It didn't bother me THAT much, but it kind of irks me how hyperspace is being used in these new Star Wars films. More frequently we're seeing pilots make hyperspace jumps to/from the atmosphere. It's become a get out of jail free card, basically.

Guy.brush

It didn't bother me THAT much, but it kind of irks me how hyperspace is being used in these new Star Wars films. More frequently we're seeing pilots make hyperspace jumps to/from the atmosphere. It's become a get out of jail free card, basically.

This. But also things like Star Destroyers hovering deep inside gravity wells. or even short range TIE Fighters flying in an atmosphere.

I know we have seen these things countless times in the EU games or comic books, but they were never shown like that in the Original Trilogy.
Why was there 0 Imperial air cover in the Battle of Hoth for example? This makes sense if TIE Fighters are not meant to fly in an atmosphere.
How gravity works, when you can hover or not seems totally arbitary now. Same with Hyperspace jumping. What can and what cannot jump to Hyperspace and how.
Why wouldn't Vader order his ISD Devastator down towards Tatooine immediately in ANH if that was possible? Just place it right above Mos Eisley.

I went with my dad and my friend last night, and all of us noticed right away. It's really obvious IMO. Still, it didn't bother me.
I thought what they did was just use a lookalike and fix up his face with CGI so he looks even more like Tarkin. Him being fully CGI is actually more impressive than what I thought, and he looked way better than the Leia model at the end, too.

That said, though, there's no way they could have used the original actor, even if he was still alive. He was already pretty old in A New Hope, and it's been like 40 years since. He'd be geriatric.

Surfinn

I thought what they did was just use a lookalike and fix up his face with CGI so he looks even more like Tarkin. Him being fully CGI is actually more impressive than what I thought, and he looked way better than the Leia model at the end, too.

That said, though, there's no way they could have used the original actor, even if he was still alive. He was already pretty old in A New Hope, and it's been like 40 years since. He'd be geriatric.
I thought it was confirmed that there were actors used for everything but the face for both Leia and Tarkin.

1. Knew it was CG
2. wasn't that noticeable unless he was shoulder to shoulder with someone.
3. Told my brother and his friend like halfway through and both said "holy shit"

on the other hand...
Leia was horrendous to all of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom