• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story |OT| They rebel - SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astral Dog

No, they didn't. Galen explicitly mentioned that no-one in the Empire has any idea and he alone knew of the weakness and how it could be exploited.

It might've had something to do with the Death Star plans on board, but besides that if the ship is already disabled they might as well board it and take some prisoners to get info on the rebellion. It's not like they're going anywhere.

A better question is how Leia's ship even escaped in the first place. You'd think they'd have star destroyers looking out for people trying to escape.

This is sort of said in ANH. One of the officers mentions to Tarkin how they've analyzed the rebel's attack and realized there was a chance shit could go bad.
With how such a big deal they did about the plans leaking looked like the Empire knew something could go very wrong they even send Vader to take them

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I think I missed something. Vader is no-doubt bad-ass and just walks through the ship like that.. yet.. They can football shovel-pass the thing through a door and escape? I mean.. Vader can use the force to disarm everyone at once, but can't do anything about an air hand-off? C'mon.

I think I missed something. Vader is no-doubt bad-ass and just walks through the ship like that.. yet.. They can football shovel-pass the thing through a door and escape? I mean.. Vader can use the force to disarm everyone at once, but can't do anything about an air hand-off? C'mon.

Oh FFS. When have you ever seen Vader do that. In your minds eye maybe.

Ban Puncher

0syR9i7.gif

Realizing that they're not going to be able to escape from the base alive whilst surrounded by so many stormtroopers as they begin to converge on their position, Cassian and Jyn decide to switch to Plan B, which will not require them to leave the base alive whilst still getting the opportunity to send the Rebels the Death Star plans.

That's how I remember the order of events playing out. If I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.
Plan B is only possible because there are Rebel fleets in orbit, which they didn't actually anticipate to come. Plan A is a very long shot to begin with, and at the time the chance of Jyn and Cassian getting safely to shuttle grows ever slimmer. They switch to Plan B because it has the higher chance of succeeding.

Like I said in my original post, I think this is probably more of a dialogue clarity problem than an actual logic problem. Those are all fine reasons to switch to plan B, but the characters don't actually mention any of that. Not at all. All they say is Oh no, the shield gate closed, we need a new plan! It implies that the gate is their motivating reason.

I guess all there is for me to say is that I would have liked the dialogue to make more sense in support of Plan B, but I don't actually question logic the of Plan B itself.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Like I said in my original post, I think this is probably more of a dialogue clarity problem than an actual logic problem. Those are all fine reasons to switch to plan B, but the characters don't actually mention any of that. Not at all. All they say is Oh no, the shield gate closed, we need a new plan! It implies that the gate is their motivating reason.

I guess all there is for me to say is that I would have liked the dialogue to make more sense in support of Plan B, but I don't actually question logic the of Plan B itself.

I'm pretty sure they were pretty explicit in mentioning their reasoning.

I'm pretty sure they were pretty explicit in mentioning their reasoning.

The only dialogue I remember about this decision went vaguely something like this:

-Oh no, theyve closed the shield gate! Now we're trapped!
-Well, we could transmit the plans to the rebel fleet instead! But we'd have to signal them that it's coming.
-Someone has to take the shield gate down to transmit!
And then they contact Bodhi to make it happen.

What else did they say?

Surfinn

It has nothing to do with time. Star War is cheese ass sci-fi opera. The leads got killed because the movie producers wanted to kill them. I am indifferent to their fates but they couldn't get a decent romantic subplot out of the script is very poor storytelling.
I'm glad you didn't write the story. This film would have been incredibly weak with a romance plot between the mains.

You can argue that but throwing a generic ass romantic plot in for the sake of simply doing so would have made the film considerably worse.

It's a terrible suggestion.

Could've added something to their relationship. Anyway, this isn't a point I'm going to argue over too much.

Surfinn

Could've added something to their relationship. Anyway, this isn't a point I'm going to argue over too much.
I actually thought their interactions were pretty good for what the film was. I would have wanted the scene after her dad died to be much more emotional between the two leads (when they get back to the ship), but I thought their relationship was the strongest out of any characters in R1. That's not to say it was particularly noteworthy of course.. but it wasn't as bad as you seemingly think it is.

Are you suggesting they should have had some sort of romance though?

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Oh FFS. When have you ever seen Vader do that. In your minds eye maybe.

What.. disarm people? In this movie. I haven't seen him grab that particular other object using The Force, but I mean.. we've seen the force used to grab Light Sabers, other things.. why not the disk? Was it just he didn't know they were passing it along or that they had it? He didn't seem to be asking questions.

I'm just wondering, legit wondering.

Edit: Just to mention, I'm not a major SW fan. I've seen all the movies, though, I don't remember all the details for them all. Just a person wondering.

Vader's action scene was awesomely executed but I was disappointed that it wasn't really part of the story proper.

I hoped Vader should have been a nigh-insurmountable obstacle that these characters would have to overcome and that he'd kill at least one of the team. Instead he just shows up after everyone in the story proper is dead just for some fanservice action.

Mind you, it was AWESOME fanservice action, but I would have preferred it actually had an impact on the characters we've been following throughout the story.

Cafeman

Out of curiosity, how would people rank the Gareth Edwards films? I'd probably go:

Monsters>>>>>>Rogue One>>Godzilla

Rogue One > Godzilla > Monsters.

Monsters wasn't interesting to me. Won't watch it again. But it was a fine film.
I was disappointed in Godzilla, but I recently rewatched it, and I found myself less bored and enjoying it. There's lots to like.
Rogue One ... he hit it out of the park!

mrkgoo

It might've had something to do with the Death Star plans on board, but besides that if the ship is already disabled they might as well board it and take some prisoners to get info on the rebellion. It's not like they're going anywhere.

A better question is how Leia's ship even escaped in the first place. You'd think they'd have star destroyers looking out for people trying to escape.

This is sort of said in ANH. One of the officers mentions to Tarkin how they've analyzed the rebel's attack and realized there was a chance shit could go bad.

During the attack run yes. Also, during the imperial meeting near the beginning of the film one of the officers says something like "however unlikely, the rebels might find a weakness and exploit it", which leads into "not this battle station. This is now the ultimate power in the universe. I suggest we use it"... and "don't be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed. The ability to destroy a planet is inisignficant next to the power of the Force". Etc.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Vader's action scene was awesomely executed but I was disappointed that it wasn't really part of the story proper.

I hoped Vader should have been a nigh-insurmountable obstacle that these characters would have to overcome and that he'd kill at least one of the team. Instead he just shows up after everyone in the story proper is dead just for some fanservice action.

Mind you, it was AWESOME fanservice action, but I would have preferred it actually had an impact on the characters we've been following throughout the story.

I think leaving him for the end plus a quick scene with Krennick was the right idea. Less screen time = more impact.

However... would have been awesome for him to throw down with Chirrut. Quick scene in my mind:

Chirrut running down corridor, turns corner. Close up of face. Eyes widen. Feels coldness and darkness. Vader stands before him.

Chirrut: I am one with the Force and the Force is with me.
Vader: so you believe the Force do you.
Chirrut (voice shakier): I.. am one with the Force and the Force is with me.
Vader: tell me what you know of the Force.
[Vader ignites lightsaber, Chirrut is stunned. He regains composure and leaps at Vader]
Chirrut: All is as the Force wills it to be!
[Chirrut attacks Vader. Vader easily blocks his staff attacks with his forearm. Chirrut, out of breath, looks defeated]
Vader: Impressive. You have controlled your fear.
[Vader Force chokes Chirrut]
Vader: But the Force is not with you, it is with me.
[Chirrut Dies]

I actually thought their interactions were pretty good for what the film was. I would have wanted the scene after her dad died to be much more emotional between the two leads (when they get back to the ship), but I thought their relationship was the strongest out of any characters in R1. That's not to say it was particularly noteworthy of course.. but it wasn't as bad as you seemingly think it is.

Are you suggesting they should have had some sort of romance though?

I don't think their interactions were good in the movie. When there was a hint of possible romance between the two of them, I groaned because if they were going to go that route, it wouldn't have been earned.

This is my opinion on Vader's last scene. It's a great action piece and it's absolutely what the fans wanted, but it sort of exists in a vacuum. The characters we have spent the most time with had nothing to do with that part. That Vader scene is pretty superfluous.

Angel_DvA

I think leaving him for the end plus a quick scene with Krennick was the right idea. Less screen time = more impact.

However... would have been awesome for him to throw down with Chirrut. Quick scene in my mind:

Chirrut running down corridor, turns corner. Close up of face. Eyes widen. Feels coldness and darkness. Vader stands before him.

Chirrut: I am one with the Force and the Force is with me.
Vader: so you believe the Force do you.
Chirrut (voice shakier): I.. am one with the Force and the Force is with me.
Vader: tell me what you know of the Force.
[Vader ignites lightsaber, Chirrut is stunned. He regains composure and leaps at Vader]
Chirrut: All is as the Force wills it to be!
[Chirrut attacks Vader. Vader easily blocks his staff attacks with his forearm. Chirrut, out of breath, looks defeated]
[Chirrut Dies]

Sound great.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Chirrut: Save Sh... Shmi...
[Vader lowers his hand]
Vader: Why? Why did you say that name?!

Fixed. Something about it reminded me of it.

Guy.brush

Yeah that is the problem with these almighty Jedi powers. It becomes a bit arbitary when and why they are used and when not.
Why did he not just "Force Pull"(tm) that floppy disk to himself?

Yeah that is the problem with these almighty Jedi powers. It becomes a bit arbitary when and why they are used and when not.
Why did he not just "Force Pull"(tm) that floppy disk to himself?
Did he even know that guy had some disk? He was behind lot of dudes and there was lots of noise.

Jag

This is my opinion on Vader's last scene. It's a great action piece and it's absolutely what the fans wanted, but it sort of exists in a vacuum. The characters we have spent the most time with had nothing to do with that part. That Vader scene is pretty superfluous.

Saw the movie yesterday and that was not my impression at all.

I saw that scene as THE transitional scene between R1 and ANH. Vader basically just cutting his way through rebels from ship to ship until Leia finally jettisons the plans.

I'm thinking it was probably mere minutes between the end of R1 and the beginning of ANH.

I just saw the movie today. It is unfortunately very weak and I didn't care when everyone died cause there was almost no development between the characters. Too much god damn shooting scenes. In A New Hope does Leia know about the weakness of the Death star btw? Didn't she say there has to be a weak point to the death star? Wouldn't she know?

Hari Seldon

Youtuber Jenny Nicholson described that scene as if at the end of Glory, after everyone dies, a confederate super soldier comes out and starts going HAM slashing everyone and the audience is supposed to cheer lol.

I'm glad the internet seems to be coming around to the fact that Rogue One was a pretty shit movie. It definitely feels like they had a movie at some point that was probably good, and someone came along and cut 33% of it and inserted fan service instead of the intended character development.

I saw that scene as THE transitional scene between R1 and ANH. Vader basically just cutting his way through rebels from ship to ship until Leia finally jettisons the plans.

I'm thinking it was probably mere minutes between the end of R1 and the beginning of ANH.

Isn't that not possible since R2/C3PO are on Yavin when the Rebel fleet takes off, but are also on the ship with Leia at the beginning of ANH?

Youtuber Jenny Nicholson described that scene as if at the end of Glory, after everyone dies, a confederate super soldier comes out and starts going HAM slashing everyone and the audience is supposed to cheer lol.

I'm glad the internet seems to be coming around to the fact that Rogue One was a pretty shit movie. It definitely feels like they had a movie at some point that was probably good, and someone came along and cut 33% of it and inserted fan service instead of the intended character development.
Haha, youtuber, internet, very strong points.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!

My thoughts exactly.

Isn't that not possible since R2/C3PO are on Yavin when the Rebel fleet takes off, but are also on the ship with Leia at the beginning of ANH?

As has been clarified before, the dialogue says that Raddus has returned to his ship and will be going to fight, not that he has already left.
The droids got on board before he left.

Leland Chee of the Lucasfilm story group says that there are only "Hours, if that" between the ending of R1 and the beginning of ANH.

And if fan math is your jam, someone calculated roughly that it would take about 10 hours to get from Scarif to Tatooine. Since make believe doesn't have to follow rules it's not necessarily true, but for now it's a decent enough guess.

Isn't it a little silly to criticize someones critique because they're on the internet/youtube.... when we're all basically the same type of user?

Her opinions are no less valid than yours or mine.
No but that user I quoted used those like some sort of proof movie is shit. Especially on forums it's very easy to get lost and discussions turn into echo chambers.

You are actually right, their opinions aren't any less or more valid than ours. And truthfully, there isn't some major consensus that RO is shit.

Jag

As has been clarified before, the dialogue says that Raddus has returned to his ship and will be going to fight, not that he has already left.
The droids got on board before he left.

Leland Chee of the Lucasfilm story group says that there are only "Hours, if that" between the ending of R1 and the beginning of ANH.

And if fan math is your jam, someone calculated roughly that it would take about 10 hours to get from Scarif to Tatooine. Since make believe doesn't have to follow rules it's not necessarily true, but for now it's a decent enough guess.

Interesting. So I guess the Tantive IV jumped to Tatooine as soon as the plans were on board (to meet Obi Wan) and Vader's Star Destroyer jumped in right behind them.

I saw the same video. The movie is done at that point, but then they throw in this scene just for fanservice. There's nothing wrong with fanservice, but it could've been a lot stronger if the main characters were a part of it.

That scene isn't really necessary as a transition scene. It could be cut. Just have Leia get the plans and her ship escapes. That's the transition, not the superfluous Vader scene.

-griffy-

Banned
That Vader scene is actually important, because it demonstrates that this whole thing is bigger than the main characters, that they were one small, crucial part of a larger cause and after they completed their task the job wasn't done, but just beginning. Beyond that, it further reinforces just how close the whole thing came to falling apart at every step of the way. The whole rebellion is just barely scraping by a victory. It adds weight to the sacrifice of the main characters by showing that it brought about a small piece of hope that is literally passed from individual to individual.

The Vader scene is not important. That scene could have been completely excised from the film and it would not change a single thing narratively about the characters or the overall story. Just showing the plans getting to Leia is enough to demonstrate that this is just the beginning. I don't think it reinforces how close it was since we could see that happening on Scarif itself. We see the characters taking and spending these chances moment to moment relying on luck and circumstance. It's more effective when it happens with the characters we've spent time with (even if they are boring). Passing their little piece of hope from nameless redshirt to nameless redshirt doesn't add much to their sacrifice. I'm not invested in those redshirts. They don't mean anything, not even on the larger they-represent-the-rebellion sense. Our representation of the rebellion are Jyn, et al. If the plans passed among them or the others sacrificed themselves so that Jyn could deliver it, then I could be more satisfied. That scene would be stronger and not just fanservice. But as it stands, that's all it is. It's great fanservice. It got me excited, but that's all it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom