• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story |OT| They rebel - SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ty4on

Have you seen a Star Wars movie before this? They often look like that. The screen in the Death Star looked just like it did in A New Hope.

Tech in the Star Wars universe is not generically futuristic. They have space travel and hyper space but the Star Wars universe is pretty lowfi in many areas. They store their media on big physical tapes and floppy like disks. They do not have any sort of cellphone communication like technology. They do not have anything near as advanced as the internet (closest thing is the holonet but that is more like tv/radio).
Kinda a pet peeve, but tape storage isn't dated yet. It's still king for large, long-term backups.

Cheebo

Banned
Normally i'd agree but Rogue One's soundtrack is legitimately not good.
However the circumstances are why im not saying Giachinno needs to be thrown out,
He is/was my pick to replace Williams if that ever needs to happen and still is.

The Kiner thing is literally this 1 movie I think would have been the right place for his style. I actually don't think it would work on much others.

Kiner has zero experience in film scores, due to the issues there was less than a month for Giachinno to step in and write the score to this film and record it. A huge crunched schedule. Kiner having zero experience in film scores would be overwhelmed in that situation, you needed someone with a lot of experience in scoring big blockbusters like a Giachinno in that situation.

Asking someone who has never done a traditional film score at all to write and record one for the first time in his career in an intensely crunched schedule that most experienced composers would crack down under would be a disaster. The situation required someone with experience.

Randam

Have you seen a Star Wars movie before this? They often look like that. The screen in the Death Star looked just like it did in A New Hope.
I really liked that they went for the star wars/1977 look.

Did they do that in the PT? AFAIR not, or did they?

Cheebo

Banned

Somewhat but not nearly as much. In a number of of ways it still had lowfi tech.

Their holograms were still shaky and not in full color:
24047_palphologramf.jpg

Ships/Vehicle controls were still really physical. No touch screens:
20425142821_f8257e7f42_b.jpg

Ishida

Banned

In the end shot of Revenge of the Sith, with Sidious and Vader overseeing the construction of the Death Star, you can see the uniforms and computers in the old style of the OT.

WillyFive

For the first spinoff(but one so closely attached to an OT film) they really should have given Kevin Kiner a shot.
Recognizably Star Wars when it needs to be but works well on its own.

Kiner is easily one of the weakest parts of the TV shows.

The music for Rogue One however was really good.

Kiner has zero experience in film scores, due to the issues there was less than a month for Giachinno to step in and write the score to this film and record it. A huge crunched schedule. Kiner having zero experience in film scores would be overwhelmed in that situation, you needed someone with a lot of experience in scoring big blockbusters like a Giachinno in that situation.

Asking someone who has never done a traditional film score at all to write and record one for the first time in his career in an intensely crunched schedule that most experienced composers would crack down under would be a disaster. The situation required someone with experience.

Im talking without the last minute replacement situation. Like other than just getting Williams if I'd have given him a shot at the earliest possible time to see how it goes.
But Lucasfilm wanted something different(which I think was a huge mistake) anyway which goes completely against his style so it doesn't matter either way.

Giachinno started out doing soundtracks for video games which is even further away than cartoons.

WillyFive

Im talking without the last minute replacement situation. Like other than just getting Williams if I'd have given him a shot at the earliest possible time to see how it goes.
But Lucasfilm wanted something different(which I think was a huge mistake) anyway which goes completely against his style so it doesn't matter either way.

Giachinno started out doing soundtracks for video games which is even further away than cartoons.

John Williams is officially retired and only hand-picks the movies he works on nowadays. You can't hire him to work on something, he has to come to you.

As for Giachinno and his background; even when he was a videogame composer he had a massive portfolio of war-themed music for Medal of Honor and Call of Duty.

Cheebo

Banned

The director picked his prefered composer for Rogue One initially. Lucasfilm is not going to force their animation composer on a director. Director's almost always get to pick who they want.

In all honesty you are one of the few I have seen trash Giachinno's score for Rogue One.

99Luffy

Banned

Tech in the Star Wars universe is not generically futuristic. They have space travel and hyper space but the Star Wars universe is pretty lowfi in many areas. They store their media on big physical tapes and floppy like disks. They do not have any sort of cellphone communication like technology. They do not have anything near as advanced as the internet (closest thing is the holonet but that is more like tv/radio).

It wouldn't make any sense if they suddenly had HD displays and the like. It wouldn't fit the technology of the universe.

It wouldn't look like Star Wars if they were using HD touch screens and the like. It isn't Star Trek.

Hell one of the biggest complaints about the prequels was the tech wasn't lowfi enough.
I forgot that the prequels dont exist in Disneys SW. Still, if they wanted to complete the look then they should have used tube monitors too. It didnt meld in as well as the OT.

In all honesty you are one of the few I have seen trash Giachinno's score for Rogue One.
I don't know where you were at release, that was the main complainant I saw from everyone initially(at the very least saying it is forgettable).

Honestly the 2nd time I saw the movie I enjoyed the score for what it was.
Personally it wasn't near Star Wars enough for me, but again that was on Lucasfilm.

Cheebo

Banned
I forgot that the prequels dont exist in Disneys SW. Still, if they wanted to complete the look then they should have used tube monitors too. It didnt meld in as well as the OT.

Ummmm....they do exist in the current canon. They brought back the actors from the prequels who played Mon Mothma and Bail Organa just in Rogue One.

Darth Vader's castle was on Mustafar. From Revenge of the Sith.

And they reference the prequels CONSTANTLY on Star Wars Rebels. Hell look at the preview for the next episode of Star Wars Rebels. Battle Droids all over, and it has Forest Whitaker back as Saw Gerrera:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_02sze2xXdo

99Luffy

Banned
Ummmm....they do exist in the current canon. They brought back the actors from the prequels who played Mon Mothma and Bail Organa just in Rogue One.

And they reference the prequels CONSTANTLY on Star Wars Rebels. Hell look at the preview for the next episode of Star Wars Rebels. Battle Droids all over, and it has Forest Whitaker back as Saw Gerrera:
So then HD monitors do exist in the SW universe.

WillyFive

I don't know where you were at release, that was the main complainant I saw from everyone initially(at the very least saying it is forgettable).

Honestly the 2nd time I saw the movie I enjoyed the score for what it was.
Personally it wasn't near Star Wars enough for me, but again that was on Lucasfilm.

Giachinno's score was 101% Star Wars, not sure what you are basing it not being Star Wars enough on. The score is deep with references and cameos.

As for the forgettable complaint, a lot of people say that about a lot of scores after the first viewing; having it compete with scores that you have heard hundreds of times before since childhood. They even said that for TFA's score, one of the most celebrated and critically acclaimed film scores of the past year. I can instantly remember the Rogue One theme, Krennic's theme, the theme for the Guardian of the Whills, the new Imperial theme, and the theme for the Rebel ships; you can even tell what part of the movie is happening when you listen to the soundtrack.

sphagnum

Banned
Don't think about the aesthetics in Star Wars from a technologically logical perspective. Things in the prequels era are of higher quality because it's a golden age. Things in the OT era are ugly and basic because the Empire doesn't care about form, just simple functionality. There's nothing more to it than that.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

They did pretty much retcon the Death Star plans from Episode 2 though. The movie makes it seem like Galen Erso designed the Death Star rather than a bunch of termites, though I'm sure they explained it away in some comic book that most people will never read.

They did pretty much retcon the Death Star plans from Episode 2 though. The movie makes it seem like Galen Erso designed the Death Star rather than a bunch of termites, though I'm sure they explained it away in some comic book that most people will never read.

He designed the laser, right? I think they just took the idea of a huge moon sized space station from the bugs.

sphagnum

Banned
They did pretty much retcon the Death Star plans from Episode 2 though. The movie makes it seem like Galen Eros designed the Death Star rather than a bunch of termites, though I'm sure they explained it away in some comic book that most people will never read.

Yes, Catalyst explained it all. The Geonosians designed the Death Star but Galen was recruited/tricked/later forced to work on the superlaser since nobody could figure out how to make it work.

From there, he made "refinements" to the Death Star while being forced to work on it.

Ishida

Banned

They didn't retcon anything. The overal design is still from the Geonosians. The actual superlaser was designed by Erso.

Cheebo

Banned

No they didn't, the upcoming arc on Rebels I linked the trailer to keep the Geonosis connection pretty apparent.

kiguel182

Two Star destroyers colliding were cool as hell. Vader had a nice moment and the idea of the Death Star being sabotaged was nice.

The rest of the movie was boring, filled with boring ass characters and lacked any good or new ideas.

Using CGI to re use a dead actor was just bad. They should've just wrote the story without him.

The cameo by Carrie Fisher could've been cool but in the context of her dead was sad. I mean, this isn't the fault of the movie but it was a sad ending in a way.

Giacchino is a hack. He's JJ's buddy but has delivered nothing memorable of note having written scores now for Star Wars, Planet of the Apes, Jurassic World...He's not even capable of holding Williams water. Does nothing but write in little fragments. No themes.

Compare this score to Joel McNeely's awesome Shadows of the Empire and it's like listening to Beethoven's 9th. Giacchino doesn't deliver on any of the golden assignments he lands, but he keeps getting work because of his connections. Certainly not his talent.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Giacchino is a hack. He's JJ's buddy but has delivered nothing memorable of note having written scores now for Star Wars, Planet of the Apes, Jurassic World...He's not even capable of holding Williams water. Does nothing but write in little fragments. No themes. Deporable and this score in particular sucked.

Compare this score to Joel McNeely's awesome Shadows of the Empire and it's like listening to Beethoven's 9th. Giacchino doesn't deliver on any of the golden assignments he lands, but he keeps getting work because of his connections. Certainly not his talent.

I can't even.

Up alone disproves this.

I can't even.

Up alone disproves this.

Even his Doctor Strange score is a rehash of Star Trek.

Please list all the memorable themes he wrote for Rogue One. Or Jurassic World. Or the Apes. He hasn't written any. All he can do is use an orchestra, but that doesn't mean he can write memorable film music. His entire career bears that out.

Osahi

Please list all the memorable themes he wrote for Rogue One. Or Jurassic World. Or the Apes. He hasn't written any. All he can do is use an orchestra, but that doesn't mean he can write memorable film music. His entire career bears that out.

His Pixar work is incredible. Up and Inside Out are the highlights. I agree his live action isn't always on par, but I saw Rogue One a second time today and the music stood out a lot more to me this time.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Saw it on Saturday. We really enjoyed it. IMAX 3D too. And somehow it cost less than our non-3D non-IMAX Star Trek: Beyond ticket did.

I was happy to see the old ANH ship aesthetics. Was refreshing to see when you come from the prequels.

Finally got around to watching Rogue One, just got back from the Imax and apart from the really weird, cheap looking movie title shot, the rest of the movie was great.

Great characters, the cast are brilliant, great special effects and its all tied into A New Hope near perfectly. The war movie style works really well and it still feels like a Star Wars movie, just the darker / gritty side of Star Wars.

It also felt fresh, not having to have all the focus on Jedi and Sith either and the fact they didn't
feel the need for a happy ending, having the balls to kill off all the main characters.

Giacchino is a hack. He's JJ's buddy but has delivered nothing memorable of note having written scores now for Star Wars, Planet of the Apes, Jurassic World...He's not even capable of holding Williams water. Does nothing but write in little fragments. No themes.

I guess JJ conned the Academy into giving him an Oscar.

I didn't like the Rogue One score but I certainly don't agree with this,
Lost soundtrack was incredible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6vCBAV-2r8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoO0mL8qkss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXnfjS339Yo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHuWSTHa14I

Just listening to a bit makes me want to rewatch the entire series.

Just watched it. Fantastic Movie. Great pacing. Strong characters that you actually feel something for. Very strong performances. Fantastic Action. Great Music.

I was blown away. I would have loved a Trilogy with those characters.

Oh I saw a 10am showing and I was the only one in the theatre.

Auctopus

Just got back from seeing this for the first time.

I had no idea about the ending scene. Very poignant which is interesting because most fans would've seen the film before her death but being clueless and then that happening gave me such a different impression on the film.

------------------------------------

Excellent film all round except I felt the wannabe Han Solo was completely pointless. I don't feel like he added much to film besides a narrative device and some tension early on. I don't think the protagonist needed a love interest and her dying on the beach alone would've been incredibly striking.

I wasn't aware of Tarkin being there either, caught on he was CG after a few moments (the blinking). Really impressive stuff.

I mean you're wrong but continue to live in that fantasy world anyway :)

WillyFive

First of all, I am baffled at the claim that Doctor Strange is anything like the Star Trek score. I imagine they must use the same tempo, I guess? Can't think of any other similarity.

As for his great work in Rogue One: there's the Rogue One theme, theme for the Death Star plans (which is everywhere in the score and had a podcast dedicated to it), the Whills theme , his Imperial theme (a baby born of the 77 Vader theme and Imperial March), Jyn's own theme, and even one for Saw that I can't find anywhere.

There's also Jurassic World, which is one of his recent best; the Family theme, and the Jurassic World theme I still remember even after seeing the movie years ago.

His entire career has been stellar, and his body of work blows away what most composers do in a lifetime.

Toxi

Banned
Somewhat but not nearly as much. In a number of of ways it still had lowfi tech.

Ships/Vehicle controls were still really physical. No touch screens:
20425142821_f8257e7f42_b.jpg
This isn't really lo-fi though. We have touch screen technology today, but we use physical controls on vehicles for a reason: Tactile feedback is extremely important. You don't put touch screens on a fighter jet, whether it's 1960 or 2017.

Jurassic had a memorable new main theme as Willy pointed out. A few, actually.

Yup,
but that does follow back to my comment as well.

Jurassic World had a good score with good new themes, better use of the classics and finally just sounded Jurassic Park as heck.

The only scenes that got me with score in Rogue One were
Rebel Fleet arriving at Scarif
X-wing destroying the AT-ACT
Mustafar
final vader scene
Moments leading to Chirrut's walk

Vidiot

I'm almost certainly late on this but I'm rewatching ESB and the dude in the snow speeder who finds Han and Luke is code named Rogue Two.

Edit: Oh they're all code named Rouge something. Leader, two, and three so far. Still fun to pretend they took the names to honor those in Rogue One.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom