• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Trailer #2 (Official)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashtrax

Giacchino's theme in this is sooooo good. Sends chills. I am particularly excited about this film. It's clear they are pushing a dark narrative, which I am completely down for.

Read that on Jedha they worship the Jedi and was hoping in the film we see statues and holy crap in the trailer there's a gargantuan one. I'm guessing Saw's "save the dream, save the rebellion" line is his dying one? Kinda looks like the walls are coming down and he sounds distressed. Really interested to see his character and how he fits into the film.

Tookay

I hope we learn that the exhaust port of Death Star 1 was a designed flaw by a traitor to give a way to stop it.

Probably the biggest things in TFA that bother me are the use of Hyperspace. It's kind of the same stuff JJ pulled with the Trek movies. We are instructed our first time jumping to Hyperspace by Han that:

"Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy! Without precise calculations we could fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?"

Sure this is a more experienced Han, but god dammit when the Falcon jumps straight to Hyperspace out of the hangar... and when the X-Wings are in Hyperspace getting a transmission and then apparently able to drop out at Starkiller Base (are they on some sort of Hyperspace orbit? WTF).... and most egregiously, when Han Solo is able to come out of Hyperspeed in between a planetary shield and the surface --- at those speeds we're talking about a window in the thousandths of seconds if that).

(Other side, when the Republic homeworlds are destroyed by the Starkiller base and they can see the explosions from Maz's planet... what?.... I'll allow that it's some sort of weird Hyperspace weapon and thus has much wider visual effect... but that's weird too)

JJ just uses hyperspace as a means to "get to wherever the plot needs instantly" rather than as a form of travel that still takes time. He's really careless about it and the implications of how easily everyone gets out of every situation.

Take for instance STID, where Khan carries a personal transporter, a technology that completely negates the need for starships and warp travel.

longdi

Banned
anyone else thinks this looks ok only? Something about the plot that seems like a rerun, focusing again on sneaking into the empire base stealing things and the ending space battle..the new casts seems genric too, knowing that they are a one off group, will fail in their tasks and likely dead. I sense a lack of attachment here.

I dont think there is also going to have any expansion of the force lore.

Would have preferred these side stories movies to focus on the current timeline rather than the past

Toparaman

Banned
The trailer looks good but I'm still not feeling very hyped about this movie for whatever reason.

It's because the trailer doesn't sound good. I'm fine with a more "gritty", "serious" Star Wars, but then the dialog has to be up to par. And the dialog succcckkkkks.

Mariolee

Apologies if this has been asked before, but considering this is the first somewhat clear look at Vader, has anyone looked at how close to the A New Hope costume he is?

Kuros

Apologies if this has been asked before, but considering this is the first somewhat clear look at Vader, has anyone looked at how close to the A New Hope costume he is?

Apparently it's very accurate. From the leaks though they have done his robes like ESB/ROTJ.

This is set literally right before A New Hope.

19. It's immediately prior to ANH. The space battle in the trailer is the battle referred to in the ANH opening crawl.

Uhhh the ending of the movie is likely gunna be
the Tantive IV being chased by the Star Destroyer.

Rogue One takes place directly before A New Hope. Same year, same month if not week likely.

For example the tv series REBELS is currently set 2 years before A New Hope, and we know for a fact Rogue One takes place after it.

Ah, fair enough. I assumed it was a little time before Episode IV, not immediately before.

Oersted

"When the Empire has this kind of power, what kind of chance do we have."

We have seen
Death Star, bigger Death Star and not Death Star blow up.

I hope this isn't too much of a focus.

duckroll

This and the cheesy dialogue is why I'm still sceptical about this film. You can make any trailer look good, but it's all about the end product and the director doesn't inspire much confidence.

At least the action sequences and the atmosphere will be top notch! Low bar!

zugzug

yep, this second trailer I think gave away to much story. I never go on blackout but after seeing this it made me think I need to. Then other times I say how can they fit this much story into the movie without it coming across as cheap and scenes so short with so many topics covered that it wont' be enjoyable. Cheap scenes with no sense of meaning.

Monocle

Ya I know just what you mean, two SW films in 12 years is really milking the franchise.
Yeah it's almost as though Disney's fooled themselves into thinking that Star Wars is a popular franchise with legions of fans hungry for more good movies after TFA proved that the series they love is back in top form.

The bloody nerve.

Monocle

At least the action sequences and the atmosphere will be top notch! Low bar!
At the very least the cinematography for this movie is going to be damn beautiful, I'll watch it for that alone.
I don't know about you, but I watch Star Wars for the sophisticated dialog and layered political themes.

Nobody really cares about what a Star Wars movie looks or sounds like, or how engaging it is to watch, you know?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I don't know about you, but I watch Star Wars for the sophisticated dialog and layered political themes.

Nobody really cares about what a Star Wars movie looks or sounds like, or how engaging it is to watch, you know?

You are sarcastic, but this and and TFA are really done more beautiful. Not to say that the older dont have their moments, but there are just few scenes where I think, yeah, thats shot very well and beautifull.

Oersted

You are sarcastic, but this and and TFA are really done more beautiful. Not to say that the older dont have their moments, but there are just few scenes where I think, yeah, thats shot very well and beautifull.

General development in movies. Just compare the Bond movies. The difference between the Craig era and previous ones is huge.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Bullshit. TPM is still the best one of the PT. AOTC is by far the worst and the only completely unwatchable one.

TPM at least had Neeson and Ewan McGregor, the two strongest performances in the PT.

Had the most logical and still best done lightsaber fighter in the series. No I don't think it's par with the ROTJ nor Empire. But it's a good combination of actual choreography with the emotional appeal. Unlike everything in AOTC, which felt weightless and bad CG.

It was an actual adventure.

Even though the flags are up with the film between the reshoots, replacements, etc. It just looks so damn good.

Phantom Menace had emotional appeal? What fucking movie did you watch?

And what strong performances? What is demanded of the actors involved? What scene made you go "Oh man, that actor really just sold that"?

skrmbillede2016-10-13vmsfn.png

The aliens in this and TFA look so fucking good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom