• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Trailer #2 (Official)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fliesen

I don't know about you, but I watch Star Wars for the sophisticated dialog and layered political themes.

Nobody really cares about what a Star Wars movie looks or sounds like, or how engaging it is to watch, you know?

to be fair, inter-character chemistry and memorable dialogue are a big part of what makes Star Wars what it is ... there's a reason people associate Star Wars with memorable quotes like "I am your father", "Do or do not, there is no try", "i love you - i know", "never tell me the odds", "may the force be with you",
"i hate sand, it's coarse and gets everywhere"
etc. pp.

But then again, i think good actors can transform even the corniest of lines into quotes that stand the test of time.

So we shouldn't be dismissing the importance of writing and proper delivery of those lines altogether.
Neither should we, as i've mentioned over and over again, judge a movie's writing on a trailer.

EGM1966

anyone else thinks this looks ok only? Something about the plot that seems like a rerun, focusing again on sneaking into the empire base stealing things and the ending space battle..the new casts seems genric too, knowing that they are a one off group, will fail in their tasks and likely dead. I sense a lack of attachment here.

I dont think there is also going to have any expansion of the force lore.

Would have preferred these side stories movies to focus on the current timeline rather than the past
Well that's a core issue. Prequels (which I'm never fond of but will give them a shot) always have the issue of being locked in. ANH compreses this film to mere throwaway backstory we don't even need to know about: we stole the plans, he's the real plot.

Now that throwaway has to hold up as the real plot and while we don't the specifics we do know the end.

The other element of familiarity (which I actually don't mind) is this is a "men on a mission" (or "people on a mission" to be gender neutral) narrative and as such it's basic structure is also going to be pretty familiar.

Still - gotta love that Vader entrance. I think Hannibal's in trouble there.

diaspora

anyone else thinks this looks ok only? Something about the plot that seems like a rerun, focusing again on sneaking into the empire base stealing things and the ending space battle..the new casts seems genric too, knowing that they are a one off group, will fail in their tasks and likely dead. I sense a lack of attachment here.

I dont think there is also going to have any expansion of the force lore.

Would have preferred these side stories movies to focus on the current timeline rather than the past

I mean, people liked Episode VII.

TheXbox

Damn. That's basically an abridged version of the film.

Flashback on Jyn's home -> Jyn is freed, joins Rogue One -> Mission on Jedah where they discover what is powering the Death Star (kyber crystals) -> Back to Yavin (what hope do we have?!) -> Tropical planet, Rogue One goes undercover, probably to steal the plans -> Two major battles, one at night and one on the beach -> Plans are extracted and sent to space; I believe this is where the X-wing footage with the Rebel fleet fits.

Not that we don't already know whether or not the mission is successful, but I think that's it.

skrmbillede2016-10-13vmsfn.png

Reminds me of my boy Plo Koon.

Oersted

Does watching films based on historical events bother you cause you know how it ends?

Death Star is not a historical event. It is fiction. But in both cases, fiction or nonfiction, should the odds or the will it happen/will it not happen not be too much of a focus when the ending is a foregone conclusion.

Take Titanic. The story is love between people from different classes, enduring extraordinary circumstances. A lesser talent probably would have tried to tell the story how Leo tried to warn that the ship will sink.

sphagnum

Banned
Death Star is not a historical event. It is fiction. But in both cases, fiction or nonfiction, should the odds or the will it happen/will it not happen not be too much of a focus when the ending is a foregone conclusion.

Take Titanic. The story is love between people from different classes, enduring extraordinary circumstances. A lesser talent probably would have tried to tell the story how Leo tried to warn that the ship will sink.

The tension for the audience in Rogue One isn't really whether they succeed in stealing the plans though but whether Jyn saves her father and how many of them, if any, survive.

Historical event or not is not my point. It's whether knowing how a film ends should ruin a movie for you.

Rogue One is about a group of people on a dangerous and crucial mission. You can't really explain how crucial their success and sacrifice is unless you set the stakes. Should characters in a war film be happy and optimistic because the audience knows they succeed? The might and strength of the Empire has always been emphasized in the original trilogy.

And Titanic is about clueless people going on a boat trip. Entirely different than a group of people going on a mission knowing what they risk if they fail. Argo would be a way better comparison. We know the people escape. So by your logic, the movie shouldn't exist because the entire movie deals with whether or not they escape.

prag16

Banned
No way in hell is ROTJ better than TFA.
What always baffles me is the alleged TPM > AoTC consensus.

Come on. Jar Jar. Jake Lloyd. Worst Padme. A trade dispute in the opening crawl..

AoTC at least has Jango vs. Obi Wan. And Yoda creating perimeters around survivors.

Zushin

Come on. Jar Jar. Jake Lloyd. Worst Padme. A trade dispute in the opening crawl..

AoTC at least has Jango vs. Obi Wan. And Yoda creating perimeters around survivors.

Yeah but TPM has Liam Neeson and Darth Maul boss fight :p Plus I'd rather Jake Lloyd over Hayden Christensen.

Nekofrog

Banned
Admittedly I haven't kept up on star wars and the eu reboot so if this question is dumb please don't make fun of me

Is it possible they retcon "bothans" from a race of aliens into a special forces type subdivision of the rebel alliance? That would give the line of "many bothans died to bring us this information" a lot more relevance in a new hope.

Dumb speculation

Sidzed2

Admittedly I haven't kept up on star wars and the eu reboot so if this question is dumb please don't make fun of me

Is it possible they retcon "bothans" from a race of aliens into a special forces type subdivision of the rebel alliance? That would give the line of "many bothans died to bring us this information" a lot more relevance in a new hope.

Dumb speculation

The Bothans were mentioned in relation to the Second Death Star, from ROTJ.

Here's the opening crawl from ANH which sets up the context:

It is a period of civil war. Rebel spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire.

During the battle, Rebel spies managed to steal secret plans to the Empire's ultimate weapon, the DEATH STAR, an armored space station with enough power to destroy an entire planet.

Pursued by the Empire's sinister agents, Princess Leia races home aboard her starship, custodian of the stolen plans that can save her people and restore freedom to the galaxy....

Dumb speculation

Bothans was ROTJ and the Death Star II plans iirc.

Edit: Beaten into fine sand.

I am part of that consensus. I will always choose Jar Jar over watching Anakin talk about sand.
Jar Jar is just annoying. Anakin is creepy and uncomfortable and the dialogue is the worst the series has to offer. Dont forget that Anakin can't even pronounce Padme's name.
Dz00LUo.png

I hope this is the last movie where all of the trailers' music is "epic" spins on the classic tracks. It gets annoying quickly hearing Dunn duuun dah dah daaah duuun again and again.

I hope not. Trash tier character.

As someone that is confused by Boba Fett love, I welcome a new movie. Actually give him a character.

kevin1025

Banned
I'm not setting myself up for that again after Captain Phasma. Maybe Boba Fett himself will show up for a cameo and have a Civil War Spider-Man moment.

There was a rumor Boba Fett was in this movie but I don't think anything ever came of it. Plus there was the Lego Slave I that was tied to the movie. But again, not sure what came of that, either.

The Bothans were mentioned in relation to the Second Death Star, from ROTJ.

Here's the opening crawl from ANH which sets up the context:

It is a period of civil war. Rebel spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil Galactic Empire.

During the battle, Rebel spies managed to steal secret plans to the Empire's ultimate weapon, the DEATH STAR, an armored space station with enough power to destroy an entire planet.

Pursued by the Empire's sinister agents, Princess Leia races home aboard her starship, custodian of the stolen plans that can save her people and restore freedom to the galaxy....
When I read that, I get an image of some double agents within the Empire sneakily using the distraction of the battle to transmit the plans.

prag16

Banned
I am part of that consensus. I will always choose Jar Jar over watching Anakin talk about sand.
Jar Jar is just annoying. Anakin is creepy and uncomfortable and the dialogue is the worst the series has to offer. Dont forget that Anakin can't even pronounce Padme's name.

Meh. I can handle a little bad dialogue and bad acting. But Jar Jar is just an absurd an totally unnecessary character, a blatant and shameless (and was it even successful?) appeal to kids who has no place in Star Wars.

I'm also in the Lloyd <<< Christensen camp. The podrace was fun I guess. Best part of TPM was definitely Duel of the Fates even if the battle was a little over the top with too much acrobatic chicanery.

Oersted

Historical event or not is not my point. It's whether knowing how a film ends should ruin a movie for you.

Rogue One is about a group of people on a dangerous and crucial mission. You can't really explain how crucial their success and sacrifice is unless you set the stakes. Should characters in a war film be happy and optimistic because the audience knows they succeed? The might and strength of the Empire has always been emphasized in the original trilogy.

And Titanic is about clueless people going on a boat trip. Entirely different than a group of people going on a mission knowing what they risk if they fail. Argo would be a way better comparison. We know the people escape. So by your logic, the movie shouldn't exist because the entire movie deals with whether or not they escape.

Don't put words in my mouth, that only cheapens your argument greatly. I'm not saying Argo shouldn't exist, I dislike it. Its attempts on suspense are extremely hamfisted and slightly racist. Feel free to disagree, but thats obviously irrelevant.

DBT85

Well this morning my dad, a 60 year old totally causal, only knows the films Star Wars fan said to me "how fucking good does Rogue One look?"

So he's really looking forward to it!

Wonder if I'll be able to get to a midnight showing like I did with VII since moving into the boonies.

Don't put words in my mouth, that only cheapens your argument greatly. I'm not saying Argo shouldn't exist, I dislike it. Its attempts on suspense are extremely hamfisted and slightly racist. Feel free to disagree, but thats obviously irrelevant.

I don't see how it does? You're saying a movie with a foregone conclusion shouldn't focus on whether or not the movie reaches that conclusion and that a lesser talent would only focus on that. Which I disagree with completely. A good talent can make the audience feel tense and leave on them on the edge of their seat regardless of whether or not they know the characters succeed/fail. You don't like Argo? Fine, let's use another example. Saving Private Ryan, landing at Normandy. You never question that the Americans make it off the beach because history tells us they did. But it's about the loss of life and the sacrifices of the people who made that possible. Knowing how that mission ends doesn't lessen the impact or suspense of that sequence.

Erevador

I agree with you. Attack of the Clones has a protagonist (Anakin) who actually has an arc. It may be executed in a very questionable way, but it is actually a movie.

The Phantom Menace has no protagonist and no plot. Nothing happens. There is no central character. There is no central theme. It is a complete and total void.

People despise Clones for its wooden romance, but it is a much stronger movie than Menace.

GhaleonEB

I agree with you. Attack of the Clones has a protagonist (Anakin) who actually has an arc. It may be executed in a very questionable way, but it is actually a movie.

The Phantom Menace has no protagonist and no plot. Nothing happens. There is no central character. There is no central theme. It is a complete and total void.

People despise Clones for its wooden romance, but it is a much stronger movie than Menace.

For me, the romance thread in AotC is one of the most painful things I've ever sat through. The 'sand' scene. The rolling around in the grass. The conversation by the fire. The confession of love. Pure cinematic torture.

There's some decent action before the third act, but bearing the rough skeleton of a proper narrative doesn't salvage it when the actual story is so bad. (Which is not to say I prefer TPM, or am defending it - they are both terrible, just in different ways.)

At any rate - the more I see this trailer the more excited I am. It strikes a much more hopeful note than the last two trailers. Everything looks so goddamn good. At the very least, it's going to be a visual feast.

Erevador

For me, the romance thread in AotC is one of the most painful things I've ever sat through. The 'sand' scene. The rolling around in the grass. The conversation by the fire. The confession of love. Pure cinematic torture.

There's some decent action before the third act, but bearing the rough skeleton of a proper narrative doesn't salvage it when the actual story is so bad. (Which is not to say I prefer TPM, or am defending it - they are both terrible, just in different ways.)

At any rate - the more I see this trailer the more excited I am. It strikes a much more hopeful note than the last two trailers. Everything looks so goddamn good. At the very least, it's going to be a visual feast.
I actually agree with all of your criticisms of AotC. For me the calculation still comes out that a story that is quite flawed in its execution is better than a completely contentless film with no story at all and many embarrassments of its own (Gungans, bad humor, goofy cgi).

Agree with your assessment of this trailer. For me this is definitely the best visuals in a Star Wars film since the original trilogy, and some of the best "fantastical" big screen visuals since the Lord of the Rings movies. Very much looking forward to it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom