• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Round Three of the The NeoGAF N/A Hearthstone Superstar Open Challenge Season One!

Fixed1979

Welcome to round three of the The NeoGAF Hearthstone Superstar Open Challenge Season One!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT UPDATES:

The tournament is completed. Congrats to LiveWire for the win. LINK

Sign-Ups are now closed.

Added rule 21 - "Any players tied in the season point standings at the start of the round will have their tournament seed determined by RNG."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome back! I think this round will be an interesting one, when the tournament starts the first 2 parts of BRM will be open, I expect that 4 will be opened when we're finished. The meta is interesting now to say the least...

If something isn't clear in the rules please ask. In the end it'll be my interpretation that matters so ask now and there won't be any surprises.

I also wanted to make it clear that we definitely want new signups! Just because you missed a round doesn't mean that you don't have a chance to make it into the finals, the points system should allow for some significant movement in the standings as each round gets played. Regardless playing in a tournament should be fun enough that even if you're not scoring big points you'll still have a good time...hopefully.

The Tournament Rules

1. Tournament structure is single elimination.
2. All rounds are best of 5.
3. Decks can be modified between all matches.
Please try to limit the amount of time you spend modifying your deck, it really shouldn’t take longer than 5 minutes.
4. Round advancement every 72 hours from tournament start. Three days should be more than enough time to play your games, I know shit happens, but if you contact your opponent on the first day things should work themselves out. Please don’t put me in a position to make a call on who advances without actually having a match played.
5. All games must be played on North America server.
6. A match draw will be considered a victory by both players. If this causes their bracket series to end in a draw a single tie breaker will decide the winner.
7. If it’s been determined that a player knowingly went against any tournament rule they may be disqualified from the tournament.
8. Previously disqualified or “problematic” players may be refused entry into future tournaments.

9. Results must be posted in this thread by the winner. It hasn’t been an issue in the past, but I’d obviously recommend taking a screenshot of the match result, or even better record the match.
10. Entries must be submitted by Thursday April 9th midnight EST. To enter just post your BattleNet ID in this thread.
11. First cards can be played Friday, April 10th at 2:00PM EST. As rounds progress feel free to contact your next opponent once your match for the next round has been posted
12. Battle Net down time greater than 12 hours will extend round advancement 24 hours.
13. Rules are subject to change. I will do my best to not make modification after first card time. If major changes are required I will update this list, striking through the old rule and re-writing new rule in red with the date and time of the change.
14. The next tournament is will be scheduled to begin the fourth Friday from the completion of this tournament. I'll post the date in this thread once the tournament is over. The thread will go up one week in advance with signups closing midnight Thursday before the tournament starts. Obviously, this is subject to change, depending on scheduling conflicts
15. Points will be awarded to all tournament players and will be based on their tournament finish as ranked by the Challonge website. Point structure can be found here
16. When players tie in tournament rankings, points for all tied player positions will be pooled and distributed evenly amongst the tied players rounding down to the nearest half point.
17. The first season will comprise of six tournaments, with the top six players based on point standings receiving invites to an invitational tournament.
18. In the event a player is unable to accept their invite to the final tournament the next player in the point standings will be given an invitation.
19. In order to participate in the season tournaments and invitational final you must be a NeoGAF member with posting privileges. If you're in the top six when the finals come around and your account is banned, your invitation will be given to another player.
20. Any round bys will be given to the seasons point leaders, any additional by’s will be determined by RNG.
21. Any players tied in the season point standings at the start of the round will have their tournament seed determined by RNG.
22. Prizes will be awarded for each tournament and are distributed via Payal

1st Place - $30.00
2nd Place - $20.00
3rd Place - $10.00

23. This month’s special rule:

Conquest
Before the tournament sign-up cutoff time (Thursday April 9th midnight EST) each player must submit three heroes that they will use throughout the tournament.
A player must win one game with each of his three decks to win the match.
When a player wins a game, the deck used by the winning player cannot be used for the remainder of the match. The losing player can keep the same deck used or switch to a different one of their choice.

This is our first time trying out conquest, I recently played in a small tournament using this format and found that I had to put way more thought into decks and the order in which I wanted to use my selected heroes. Hopefully people experience the same thing.

If anyone is planning on streaming or recording their matches and wants to share, post the links and I'll update the OP with your information. I'd certainly be interesting in watching a few of the games and I'm sure others would as well. If you’re in the finals and are not able to stream or capture I may ask that the two players who make the finals add me as friends on Battle.net so I can capture on this end. This is just a request so if you’re not comfortable with me capturing your game or don’t want me as a friend then feel free to say no.

Current entries:

(1) ZZMitch / ZZMitch#1697 - Priest, Druid, Rogue
(4) Xanathus / xanathus#6279 - Mage, Paladin, Druid
(6) JesseZao / CosmicZJ#1130 - Priest, Mage, Hunter
(7) manhack / manhack#1706 - Mage, Priest, Druid
(8) paperboywriter / Gringoros#2385 - Rogue, Druid, Hunter
(10) FiveSix4Three / five6four3#1543 - Priest, Warrior, Mage
(11) LiveWire / LiveWire#1441 - Druid, Warlock, Rogue
(12) Ashodin / Ashodin#1707 - Paladin, Druid, Mage
(12) Special C/ SpecialC#1902 - Warlock, Mage, Hunter
(15) Mobius and pet octopus / Protekt#1871 - paladin, shaman, rogue
(16) FutureZombie / TurnipKnight#1599 - Shaman, Mage, Warlock
(16) Hutna / Hutna#1290 - Mage, Warlock, Hunter
(16) Slashlen / Slashlen#1262 - Warrior, Paladin, Hunter
(21) BigAT / BigAT#1796 - Priest, Hunter, Paladin
(21) Cystm / Cystm#1932 - Rogue, Priest, Warrior
(21) squidyj / squidyj#1124 - Rogue, Paladin, Druid
(24) CRS / ArchAngel#11695 - Druid, Mage, and Paladin
(24) DreamMachine / Klaber#1185 - Priest, Shaman, Mage
(27) Gatekeeper / Z3R05UM#1903 - Paladin, Warlock, Warrior
(27) gutshot / gutshot#1114 - Druid, Hunter, Shaman
(27) Mazre / Mazre#1960 - Shaman, Warrior, Mage
(38) bunbun777 / bunbun777#1870 - ?
(N/A) veloxStrix / Strix#1170 - Warrior, Mage, Rogue
(N/A) thepotatoman / thepotatoman#1824 - Warlock, Paladin, Rogue
(N/A) Type2 / Type2#1944 - Priest, hunter, warrior
(N/A) Barrage / Joehoul#1109 Hunter,Mage,Warrior
(N/A) _DrMario_ / TouchOfGrey#1548 - Shaman, Warlock, Warrior

Season One Standings:

Spreadsheet

Round One Bracket - Round One Thread
Round Two Bracket - Round Two Thread
Round Three Bracket - Round Three Thread

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
thepotatoman #1824

Warlock, Paladin, Rogue

Xanathus

Some questions about the rules this time:
1. Your dates in rules 10 and 11 are from the older tourney, what are the correct dates?
2. Rule 3, decks can be modified between matches. Does this mean that you can modify your deck between games with the same person?

Fixed1979

Some questions about the rules this time:
1. Your dates in rules 10 and 11 are from the older tourney, what are the correct dates?
2. Rule 3, decks can be modified between matches. Does this mean that you can modify your deck between games with the same person?

Good to see someone paying attention! I've changed the dates so we should be good there. Did a quick copy+paste job yesterday getting this up so not surprising I missed something.

Deck modification between matches (games with the same person) has always been in effect, thought I'm not sure how much it's being used. I've thought several times to not allowing changes but it's not exactly enforceable. I'm guessing 99% of the matches being played are done without interruption by people making card changes to their deck.

Sincere question, how many times have you experienced someone stopping in the middle of the round to go make a change? If it's not happening anyway, maybe it's time to update the rule.

Good to see someone paying attention! I've changed the dates so we should be good there. Did a quick copy+paste job yesterday getting this up so not surprising I missed something.

Deck modification between matches (games with the same person) has always been in effect, thought I'm not sure how much it's being used. I've thought several times to not allowing changes but it's not exactly enforceable. I'm guessing 99% of the matches being played are done without interruption by people making card changes to their deck.

Sincere question, how many times have you experienced someone stopping in the middle of the round to go make a change? If it's not happening anyway, maybe it's time to update the rule.

It happens enough in my experience. I wouldn't change the rule unless we go with submitting decks and such. Because if I can change my deck, but not alter it between matches, it will just end up being a nuisance because of only 9 deck slots. I'll have to set up basically 2-3 decks per class.

Xanathus

It happened in 50% of my games not including the times I did it myself. If you've read by write up from the last tourney, you'll know that being able to switch decks is a pretty huge exploit/strategy though everyone can do it but it gives an advantage towards people who have a larger variety of cards/decks.

Fixed1979

Thanks for the input, we'll keep on going as we have been. hopefully there'll be a day when Blizzard actually offer in game support for tournaments...

Fixed1979

Entry list has been updated. Messages have also been sent out to everyone who played in round two but have yet to sign up to round three.

Livewire, I missed your name when going through the list so sorry for the reminder!

TurnipKnight#1599 Shaman, Mage, Warlock

I will be unable to play on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday of this week though.

We made an exception last time and I have no issues with doing so again. As long as you're able to get caught up by the end of round two (ie: 2 matches Monday-Thursday of next week).

CRS

ArchAngel#11695

Druid and Mage for now.

(Thanks for letting me know this was going on btw!)

Fixed1979

A day and a half left for signups...looks like we'll have a much smaller field this round than last. Will be a good opportunity for some people to pick-up points!

Slashlen

I'm in, what I lack in ability to win I make up by showing up in each of these! :)

Slashlen#1262
Warrior, Paladin, Hunter.

We made an exception last time and I have no issues with doing so again. As long as you're able to get caught up by the end of round two (ie: 2 matches Monday-Thursday of next week).

Thanks! I will be able to play starting Monday. I'm just out of town this weekend, and sadly my Kindle Fire can't run the game.

I'm in

Z3R05UM#1903

Paladin, Warlock, Warrior

Edit: I'll be traveling to Anaheim this weekend and there for 9 days, so be a little patient with me.

Barrage

Are all the slots filled? Or could someone enter for Round Three now that hasn't been in previous rounds?

Fixed1979

Is there any restriction on BRM cards? I summer no, but am just curious I'd I'll be able to use cards released next week?

No restrictions, part of the fun of this round is that it will be played as new cards are released. I know this may hamper some players but a few cards from BRM are not going to have anyone win or lose the entire tournament. A game or two possibly.

Are all the slots filled? Or could someone enter for Round Three now that hasn't been in previous rounds?

No max on the players, and no requirements besides being a Gaf member with posting privileges, come on aboard! There's still a lot of points to hand out before the season is over and nothing to stop a new players from doing well. Worst case scenario you add a couple new people to your friends list!

Type2

Type2#1944
Priest, hunter, warrior. I may edit this tonight if I decide to craft anything new. My collection is stil growing as I'm about 3 weeks into the game.

Fixed1979

Alright folks, the tournament bracket has been set! With 26 players the top 6 seeds received by's to Round Two, the rest of you will have to earn your spot. Feel free to contact your opponent and arrange your matches. With the exception of on match, Round One should be completed Sunday night. GL HF ETC.

http://challonge.com/GAFS1R3

thepotatoman your matched up against FutureZombie in the first round. It sounds like he may not be able to play over the weekend, are you able to play your round one match Monday?

Top Bottom