• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Round Two of the The NeoGAF N/A Hearthstone Superstar Open Challenge Season One!

Fixed1979

Welcome to round two of the The NeoGAF Hearthstone Superstar Open Challenge Season One!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
IMPORTANT UPDATES:

Round 3 is currently scheduled for April 10th, signups to open around April 2nd. Any changes between now and when the next thread opens will be posted here.

Season One Updated Standings

Tournament has been completed.

The bracket has been posted HERE, please contact your opponent to arrange your matches.

SIGN-UPS CLOSED

EDIT: Tournament structure was changed from double to single elimination. All rounds changed to best of 5.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’ve put this one up early, but I most likely won’t start updating the OP until Monday February 9th. We talked about making some changes to the way the tournament is structured, but as there’s been a long break between rounds one and two the only change for round two is the special rule, which is more of a tweak on suggestions made from the last round.

Hopefully the rules are clear enough this time around that there won't be a barrage of clarifications like in the last round, however if you have a question then just ask. In the end it'll be my interpretation that matters so ask now and there won't be any surprises.

I also wanted to make it clear that we definitely want new signups! Just because you missed a round doesn't mean that you don't have a chance to make it into the finals, the points system should allow for some significant movement in the standings as each round gets played. Regardless playing in a tournament should be fun enough that even if you're not scoring big points you'll still have a good time...hopefully.

The Tournament Rules

1. Tournament structure is single elimination.
2. All rounds are best of 5.
3. Decks can be modified between all matches.
Please try to limit the amount of time you spend modifying your deck, it really shouldn’t take longer than 5 minutes. To help speed things along it may be worth creating a few decks for your main character. Though I know this is challenging with limited deck slots.
4. Round advancement every 72 hours from tournament start. Three days should be more than enough time to play 2 games, I know shit happens, but if you contact your opponent on the first day things should work themselves out. Please don’t put me in a position to make a call on who advances without actually having a match played.
5. All games must be played on North America server.
6. A match draw will be considered a victory by both players. If this causes their bracket series to end in a draw a single tie breaker will decide the winner.
7. If it’s been determined that a player knowingly went against any tournament rule they may be disqualified from the tournament.
8. Previously disqualified or “problematic” players may be refused entry into future tournaments.

9. Results must be posted in this thread by the winner. It hasn’t been an issue in the past, but I’d obviously recommend taking a screenshot of the match result, or even better record the match.
10. Entries must be submitted by Thursday February 19th midnight EST. To enter just post your BattleNet ID in this thread.
11. First cards can be played Friday, February 20th at 2:00PM EST. As rounds progress feel free to contact your next opponent once your match for the next round has been posted
12. Battle Net down time greater than 12 hours will extend round advancement 24 hours.
13. Rules are subject to change. I will do my best to not make modification after first card time. If major changes are required I will update this list, striking through the old rule and re-writing new rule in red with the date and time of the change.
14. The next tournament is will be scheduled to begin the fourth Friday from the completion of this tournament. I'll post the date in this thread once the tournament is over. The thread will go up one week in advance with signups closing midnight Thursday before the tournament starts. Obviously, this is subject to change, depending on scheduling conflicts
15. Points will be awarded to all tournament players and will be based on their tournament finish as ranked by the Challonge website. Point structure can be found here
16. When players tie in tournament rankings, points for all tied player positions will be pooled and distributed evenly amongst the tied players rounding down to the nearest half point.
17. The first season will comprise of six tournaments, with the top six players based on point standings receiving invites to an invitational tournament.
18. In the event a player is unable to accept their invite the next player in the point standings will be given an invitation.
19. In order to participate in the season tournaments and invitational final you must be a NeoGAF member with posting privileges. If you're in the top six when the finals come around and your account is banned, your invitation will be given to another player.
20. Any round bys will be given to the point leaders, any additional by’s will be determined by RNG.
21. Prizes will be awarded for each tournament and are distributed via Payal
(increased from round one).

1st Place - $30.00
2nd Place - $20.00
3rd Place - $10.00

22. This month’s special rule:
Last Hero Standing
Before the tournament sign-up cutoff time (Thursday February 19th midnight EST) each player must submit three heroes that they will use throughout the tournament. Each round will start with a player selecting one of their three submitted heroes to play. When a player looses a game that hero can no longer be used for the remaining games in the round. The winning player is free to switch heroes if they wish to do so.

If anyone is planning on streaming or recording their matches and wants to share, post the links and I'll update the OP with your information. I'd certainly be interesting in watching a few of the games and I'm sure others would as well. If you’re in the finals and are not able to stream or capture I may ask that the two players who make the finals add me as friends on Battle.net so I can capture on this end. This is just a request so if you’re not comfortable with me capturing your game or don’t want me as a friend then feel free to say no.

Current entries:
Xanathus / xanathus#6279 (Mage, Warlock, Druid)
bunbun777 / Bunbun777#1870 (Paladin, Warrior, Hunter)
Ashodin / Ashodin#1707 (Paladin, Druid, Mage)
gutshot / gutshot#1114 (Hunter, Druid and Shaman)
LiveWire / LiveWire#1441 (Paladin, Mage, Shaman)
Mazre / Mazre#1960 (Paladin, Shaman, Warlock)
centracore / centracore#1918 (Druid, Shaman, Warrior)
Cystm / Cystm#1932 (Rogue, Priest, Shaman)
ZZMitch / ZZMitch#1697 (Priest, Rogue, Druid)
Mobius and pet octopus / Protekt1#1871 (Paladin, Druid, Rogue)
Vio-Lence / polishmoves#1333 (Hunter, Druid, Mage)
manhack / manhack#1706
suaveric / MrMister#1886 (Paladin, Shaman, Warlock)
Special C / SpecialC #1902 (Warrior, Hunter, Paladin)
BigAT / BigAT#1796 (Druid, Hunter, Mage)
JesseZao / CosmicZJ#1130 (Mage, Warrior, Hunter)
RazorbackDB / RazorbackDB#1566 (Rogue, Shaman, Mage)
FiveSix4Three / five6four3#1543 (Priest, Warrior, Druid)
Drkirby / Drkirby#1309 (Mage, Warrior, Paladin)
FutureZombie / TurnipKnight#1599 (Shaman, Warlock, Mage)
PillowKnight / varb#1190 ( Hunter, Mage , Paladin)
shindoku21 / awwjayzin#1537 (Priest, Warlock, Rogue)
Judderman / JUDDERMANG#1466 (Hunter, Warlock, Rogue)
hutna / Hutna#1290 (Mage, Warlock, Druid)
Gatekeeper / Z3R05UM#1903 (Druid, Warrior, Rogue)
Slashlen / Slashlen#1262 (Mage, Paladin, Priest)
Nicodemic / Nicodemic#1741 (Mage, Rogue, Hunter)
Soka / Soka#(Shaman, Priest, Mage)
paperboywriter / Gringoros#2385 (Warlock Druid, Hunter)
CRS / ArchAngel#11695 (Druid, Mage, Rogue)
squidyj / squidyj#1124 (Paladin, Mage, Rogue)
DreamMachine / Klaber#1185 (Priest, Shaman, Mage)
Procarbine / procarbine#1133 (Druid, Paladin, Warrior)
Blu(e) / Blu#1742 (Paladin, Rogue, Priest)

Season One Standings:
1 ZZMitch 2500
2 Slayn 1500
3 manhack 1000
4 PillowKnight 750
5 JesseZao 525
6 shindoku21 525
7 paperboywriter 437.5
8 xanathus 437.5
9 Ashodin 362.5
10 centracore 362.5
11 LiveWire 362.5
12 Special C 362.5
13 Blu(e) 285
14 Dart 285
15 RazorbackDB 285
16 Slashlen 285
17 FutureZombie 260
18 Hutna 260
19 KingKiller 260
20 lawlohwhat 260
21 Mobius and pet octopus 260

Spreadsheet

Round One Bracket - Round One Thread
Round Two Bracket

Protekt1#1871

Spectator should make recording or broadcasting any match up possible if desired.

This tournament I'll have to try hard my way out of last place in the rankings.

Fixed1979

Considering changing this round of the season to single elimination best of 5 with a best of 7 finals. If anyone has any thoughts on the matter let me know, I'll make a final decision on Monday. If it's a complete failure we can go back to double elimination for round 3...

bunbun777

The only suggestion I have is concerning the special rule, specifically allowing the winner to switch decks. If the first player loses say the first two games and is forced to play the remaining game with their third deck it seems (to me) that allowing the winner to also pick their best counter to that deck will not make for a great time. Either way I'm down though since I have no experience with this specific format.

Xanathus

Got a question, do we get to know what heroes our opponent has chosen to bring? It would add a layer of strategy in picking which decks to bring out.

BigAT

BigAT#1796

Good to see that HS tournaments are still being run on GAF, even though I haven't participated in one in quite a while. So I should PM you my three heroes?

Fixed1979

The only suggestion I have is concerning the special rule, specifically allowing the winner to switch decks. If the first player loses say the first two games and is forced to play the remaining game with their third deck it seems (to me) that allowing the winner to also pick their best counter to that deck will not make for a great time. Either way I'm down though since I have no experience with this specific format.

There's always going to be a problem without people posting their decks before the tournament starts, and in a small tourney like this there's not a real good way to make this happen. You can try a counter deck to a class, but if your opponent has a couple decks for that hero I'm hoping this may make things a little difficult. There were some concerns over this last tournament and I'm hoping by narrowing peoples hero choices just a little then that might help alleviate some of the counter decks, we'll see how it goes this round and continue to make changes.

Got a question, do we get to know what heroes our opponent has chosen to bring? It would add a layer of strategy in picking which decks to bring out.

Yeah, everyone needs to post their 3 selections in here before midnight Thursday, so you will know what you're opponent is bringing (and they will know what you're bringing), just not the order you'll play them in. The current meta is pretty interesting right now and most classes have a few variations so I feel that even though you know the class their deck could be something different than what you'll plan for or can expect.

BigAT#1796

Good to see that HS tournaments are still being run on GAF, even though I haven't participated in one in quite a while. So I should PM you my three heroes?

Please post them here before midnight Thursday. PMing me would probably be preferable but I don't really have anyway of ensuring that people are actually use their selected heroes.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I'd like to enter, I'll can look up my battle tag number later today.

I guess I'll go with Mage, Warrior, and Paladin.

Fixed1979

Just to clarify, we post in here 3 heroes we can use, but do we have to use all 3? Do we even have to switch decks? I guess I don't quite follow if I am allowed to use the same hero with the same exact deck for all 5 games if I want, or if I have to swap heroes/decks if I win/lose?

You will need a maximum of 3 heroes with a minimum 1 deck per hero (the number of decks you have ready for each hero is up to you).

At the start of each round you can pick any one of your 3 heroes for the first game. If you win your game you can use that same hero again (or switch to a new one) for the next game in the round, if you loose you must select another hero from your submitted list of 3 and cannot use the hero you lost with until the next round. You can switch or modify decks at any time regardless of hero.

You will need a maximum of 3 heroes with a minimum 1 deck per hero (the number of decks you have ready for each hero is up to you).

At the start of each round you can pick any one of your 3 heroes for the first game. If you win your game you can use that same hero again (or switch to a new one) for the next game in the round, if you loose you must select another hero from your submitted list of 3 and cannot use the hero you lost with until the next round. You can switch or modify decks at any time regardless of hero.

When you say until the next round, you mean you can use hero A, lose, use hero B, then go back to hero A?

Fixed1979

When you say until the next round, you mean you can use hero A, lose, use hero B, then go back to hero A?

No, a round would be the best of 5 against a single opponent. If you loose with Hero A, then you have to choose Hero B or Hero C, if you then choose Hero B and loose then you have to use Hero C.

If you mange to beat your opponent in a best of 5 and move on to the next round (opponent) then heroes A, B, and C are available to select from again...

LiveWire

Updating with my heroes: Paladin, Mage, Shaman. Also, I will be traveling starting tomorrow night Pacific Time (2/19) and coming back Monday night (2/23.) and won't have access to a PC/laptop/tablet to play Hearthstone during that time. I know we're shooting for a 3-day window but I would respectfully ask if whatever opponent I get could possibly play late Monday evening Pacific Time or on Tuesday?

Fixed1979

Updating with my heroes: Paladin, Mage, Shaman. Also, I will be traveling starting tomorrow night Pacific Time (2/19) and coming back Monday night (2/23.) and won't have access to a PC/laptop/tablet to play Hearthstone during that time. I know we're shooting for a 3-day window but I would respectfully ask if whatever opponent I get could possibly play late Monday evening Pacific Time or on Tuesday?

We won't know who you're playing until Friday but we'll obviously do what we can to accommodate you.

Fixed1979

OP updated as of this morning, about 13 more hours to go before the sign-up deadline. If you haven't done so already post your heroes!

Top Bottom