• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NeoGAF Hearthstone Superstar Open Challenge Season One

Fixed1979

In keeping with NeoGaf Hearthstone tournament tradition; like Ferny before me and Ferrio before him, this too will be my first attempt at organizing a tournament. Please bare with me.

Welcome to The NeoGAF Hearthstone Superstar Open Challenge Season One (September Edition)!

There is one thing from the previous tournament I’d like to keep going with.

Ferny said:
My general idea for these going forward is that each tournament will have a unique rule associated with it. I may just throw up a poll towards the end of each one and have everyone decide what the next one would be. If that rule is not your cup of tea, there will be another one to join next month.

Assuming this doesn’t end in complete failure, I’d welcome suggestions for special rules for future tournaments. Feel free to PM or post any ideas or things you’d like to see.

Now onto the rules, I’ve stolen a few of these directly from Ferny’s last tournament, and modified a couple. If you feel there’s a serious omission or error than let me know.

The Tournament Rules

1. Tournament structure is double elimination.
2. Tournament semi-finals and finals matches are best of 5, all other rounds are best of 3.
3. Decks can be modified between all matches. Please try to limit the amount of time you spend modifying your deck, it really shouldn’t take longer than 5 minutes. To help speed things along it may be worth creating a few decks for your main character. Though I know this is challenging with limited deck slots.
4. Round advancement every 72 hours from tournament start. Three days should be more than enough time to play 2 games, I know shit happens, but if you contact your opponent on the first day things should work themselves out. Please don’t put me in a position to make a call on who advances without actually having a match played.
5. All games must be played on North America server.
6. A match draw will be considered a victory by both players. If this causes their bracket series to end in a draw a single tie breaker will decide the winner.
7. If it’s been determined that a player knowingly went against any tournament rule they may be disqualified from the tournament.
8. Previously disqualified or “problematic” players may be refused entry into future tournaments.
9. Results must be posted in this thread by the winner.
I don’t believe it’s been an issue in the past, but I’d obviously recommend taking a screenshot of the match result, or even better record the match.
10. Entries must be submitted by Thursday September 4th midnight EST. To enter just post your BattleNet ID in this thread.
11. First cards can be played Friday, September 5th at 5:00PM EST. As rounds progress feel free to contact your next opponent once your match for the next round has been posted
12. Battle Net down time greater than 12 hours will extend round advancement 24 hours.
13. Rules are subject to change, but cannot be modified after first card time. If major changes are required I will update this list, striking through the old rule and re-writing new rule in red with the date and time of the change.
14. The next tournament is will be scheduled to begin the fourth Friday from the completion of this tournament. I'll post the date in this thread once the tournament is over. The thread will go up one week in advance with signups closing midnight Thursday before the tournament starts. Obviously, this is subject to change, depending on scheduling conflicts
15. Points will be awarded to all tournament players and will be based on their tournament finish as ranked by the Challonge website. Point structure can be found here
16. When players tie in tournament rankings, points for all tied player positions will be pooled and distributed evenly amongst the tied players rounding down to the nearest half point.
17. The first season will comprise of six tournaments, with the top six players based on point standings receiving invites to an invitational tournament. I'm still putting thought into what exactly will go down for the final tournament. All I can say for sure is that the rules will be modified and the prizes will increase in value...unless I get fired from my job or something, then the whole deals off.
18. In the event a player is unable to accept their invite the next player in the point standings will be given an invitation.
19. In order to participate in the season tournaments and invitational final you must be a NeoGAF member with posting privileges. This means that if you're in the top six when the finals come around and your account is banned, your invitation will be given to another player.
20. Any round bys will be given to the point leaders. For the first tournament, any by’s will be determined by the RNG gods.
21. Prizes will be awarded for each tournament and are distributed via Payal.
1st Place - $25.00
2nd Place - $15.00
3rd Place - $5.00​
22. This month’s special rule:
At the start of each round both players are free to pick any class. After each game played the winner must use the same class in the following game. At the start of the following round both players are free to pick any class.
I don’t really like the idea of locking in a class for the entire tournament, so instead when you win a game your locked to that class for the next one. I thought about banned cards or characters, but for now lets keep it simple. This doesn’t eliminate deck manipulation between games.

So that’s it, I hope this will be interesting and organized enough to get people playing and with the point system to get you to keep coming back. I’ve given quite a bit more notice for this tournament, hopefully this will give people more time to notice it and sign up, as well as allow me to sort out any rules or preparation issues on my end.

Entry List:
JesseZao / CosmicZJ#1130
Mobius and pet octopus / Protekt1#1871
Slayn / slayn#1745
centracore / centracore#1918
manhack / manhack#1706
xanathus / xanathus#6279
PillowKnight / varb#1190
lawlohwhat / dingus#1171
Blu(e) / Blu#1742
imbask / Bask#1237
ZZMitch / ZZMitch#1697
Special C / SpecialC#1902
bunbun777 / bunbun777#1870
Slashlen / Slashlen#1262
paperboywriter / Gringoros#2385
gutshot / gutshot#1114
Hutna / Hutna#1290
FutureZombie / TurnipKnight#1599
Ashodin / Ashodin#1707
Dart / Dart#1320
KingKiller / Kvothe#1974
RazorbackDB / RazorbackDB#1566
shindoku21 / awwjayzin#1537
LiveWire / LiveWire#1441

EDIT:

The tournament bracket has been set. The NeoGAF Hearthstone Superstar Open Challenge Season One Round One

8 players were blessed by the RNG gods with a by into round two, the other 16 will need to fight it out. Once your bracket is set for feel free to progress, I don't see any need to wait until the previous round is complete before playing.

Xanathus provided a countdown timer for the start of the tournament, thanks for that.

Because I'm bad with timezones

t1409950800z1.png

Let me know if this is right or wrong :/

EDIT: And we're go!

Remember to post here with your results when the match is over.

If anyone is planning on streaming or recording their matches and wants to share, post the links and I'll update the OP with your information. I'd certainly be interesting in watching a few of the games and I'm sure others would as well.

EDIT:

The tournament is now closed. Congrats to ZZMitch on the win!

Tournament Rankings

1 ZZMitch 2500
2 Slayn 1500
3 manhack 1000
4 PillowKnight 750
5 JesseZao 525
6 shindoku21 525
7 paperboywriter 437.5
8 xanathus 437.5
9 Ashodin 362.5
10 centracore 362.5
11 LiveWire 362.5
12 Special C 362.5
13 Blu(e) 285
14 Dart 285
15 RazorbackDB 285
16 Slashlen 285
17 FutureZombie 260
18 Hutna 260
19 KingKiller 260
20 lawlohwhat 260
21 Mobius and pet octopus 260

Spreadsheet

JesseZao

Changing class every bracket could be a bit chaotic, but no limits on decks makes it better. I'll participate because these are quite fun.

CosmicZJ#1130

Fixed1979

Changing class every bracket could be a bit chaotic, but no limits on decks makes it better. I'll participate because these are quite fun.

CosmicZJ#1130

You're actually never forced to change classes, win or loose, if you'd prefer to keep the same class/deck right through the tournament then you can. It's only if you win a game that you must use the same class for the following game. After your next loss, you'd be free to change again.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I'll probably join, but the class rules need some clarification. It sounds like to me that at the start of every match, both players can change to whatever class/deck they want. The winner of each game within a match has to keep their class but could make an entirely different deck. While the loser can change both class and deck.

Does the class lock 'carry over' once you've won the match? Or do both players start fresh again?

I'll probably join, but the class rules need some clarification. It sounds like to me that at the start of every match, both players can change to whatever class/deck they want. The winner of each game within a match has to keep their class but could make an entirely different deck. While the loser can change both class and deck.

Does the class lock 'carry over' once you've won the match? Or do both players start fresh again?

I'm confused as well. It doesn't say there are class restrictions except the last rule says you can't use the deck you used to win in the last bracket which is contrary to no restrictions for class/deck.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I'm confused as well. It doesn't say there are class restrictions except the last rule says you can't use the deck you used to win in the last bracket which is contrary to no restrictions for class/deck.
I suspect you have the meaning of lock backwards. I take lock to mean you are forced to play that class; not that it is banned.

Fixed1979

I really like the idea of having set decks that can be used in the tournament, unfortunately I don't think it's a reasonable thing to ask for this type of tournament, and not necessarily something I can even keep track of.

The class locking would be a sort of compromise in my opinion and would flow something like this.

Opening Round

Game 1 - Both players are free to pick classes
Player 1 (Priest) v Player 2 (Druid)
Player 2 wins

Game 2 - Player 1 is free to pick new class and chooses Warrior
Player 1 (Warrior) v Player 2 (Druid locked)
Player 1 wins

Game 3 - Player 2 is free to pick new class but elects to remain Druid
Player 1 (Warrior locked) v Player 2 (Druid)
Player 2 wins

Second Round - Both players are free to pick classes

Fixed1979

Rule #11 seems to be not finished as it ends with "once"

Thanks, I'll get it fixed up, and we'll count on you next time.

Decks and cards can freely be changed between games. Only your class would need to stay the same if you had won the previous game, this would reset when you start a new series against a new opponent.

Hopefully my breakdown above helped. I'll see if I can re-write the special rule for clarification.

I suspect you have the meaning of lock backwards. I take lock to mean you are forced to play that class; not that it is banned.

Well, I guess locked could mean that it is locked in or locked out. But I didn't read a rule that stops you from changing class in the first bracket, so I am still confused.

Decks and cards can freely be changed between games. Only your class would need to stay the same if you had won the previous game, this would reset when you start a new series against a new opponent.

Oh okay. The wording is a little bit weird but I think I understand now.

Zafir

Nice idea. Unfortunately I have barely any cards on the NA server. :(

Is it wise just locking class though? I mean being able to switch decks for a class after a win still seems pretty strong. Especially with classes that have two strong decks, like Warlock with Handlock and Zoo.

Fixed1979

Well, I guess locked could mean that it is locked in or locked out. But I didn't read a rule that stops you from changing class in the first bracket, so I am still confused.

Oh okay. The wording is a little bit weird but I think I understand now.

After re-reading it I can see where the confusion came from, I think I was half way between two thoughts when I first wrote it, hopefully everything makes sense now.

Nice idea. Unfortunately I have barely any cards on the NA server. :(

Is it wise just locking class though? I mean being able to switch decks for a class after a win still seems pretty strong. Especially with classes that have two strong decks, like Warlock with Handlock and Zoo.

You have just over a week! People have put together some nice basic decks in less time. =)

That's a good point, I missed the last tournament, but I believe the previous two tournaments allowed for deck manipulation between games. I did think about locking class and deck, but I think it would give the looser too much of an advantage by being able to modify a deck specifically for the one he just played.

Ideally deck submission with no changes allowed is the way to go IMO, but I can't think of any practical way to have it in a small community tournament.

Xanathus

xanathus#6279

One question about the rules, does the lack of class limitations mean that you can just keep playing the same deck and class over and over regardless of whether you win or lose? That's actually kind of lame because it encourages you to only use the most consistent deck and we know what that is...

Fixed1979

xanathus#6279

One question about the rules, does the lack of class limitations mean that you can just keep playing the same deck and class over and over regardless of whether you win or lose? That's actually kind of lame because it encourages you to only use the most consistent deck and we know what that is...

I get what you're saying and don't necessarily disagree. For this first tournament I just really wanted to avoid taking things away from players, be it cards, decks, classes. I hope that we'll see people play some different decks, and I hope that the class being locked for the winner is enough to give people a chance to combat the standard warlock and now hunter decks.

I'm certainly open idea of say having the game looser forfeit the class he/she lost with for the remainder of the round, and I'd be happy to do that next time around if people would prefer. Unless we can figure out a reasonable way to have people submit 3 or 4 decks before hand it's just trial and error.

Blu(e)

Blu#1742

Any reason why you put this under community? You may have gotten more traffic if you posted this under regular discussion area.

Fixed1979

Blu#1742

Any reason why you put this under community? You may have gotten more traffic if you posted this under regular discussion area.

Good question...the previous two tournaments were done in the community section so I just assumed that it should go here. Maybe I'll PM a mod to double check.

imBask

Banned
5 PM EST is a bit early when you have a normal job...

count me in but if I can't make it it'll be a free win (playing against me will most likely be a free win for you anyway)

Bask#1237

Fixed1979

The first round will last all of next weekend. You'll have 72 hours to get your game in starting at 5PM EST, so right until Monday at 5PM EST.

EDIT: This point system is no longer being used. Please refer to the official rule list for season one point structure.

I think I figured out the point structure. It's a little convoluted due to the fact that we're running brackets, and even more so due to double elimination. I'm not sure how many people will care about this, but it's easy enough to keep track of so I figured we'd give it a try.

The goals were to make sure that everyone who participates gets at least 1 point, as well as reflect the fact that the bigger the field the harder it will be to win (so more points handed out when more players sign-up). Hopefully this makes sense, if anyone sees a serious issue or has an idea let me know.

Each entered player will receive points depending on how far they advance. The round you get knocked out in determines how many points you receive for the tournament.

Round 1 = 1 point
Round 2 = 2 points
Round 3 = 4 points
Round 4 = 6 points
Round 5 = 8 points
Round 6 = 10 points

The rounds will be counted up to the semi-finals only. The tournament finals (when the winner of the losers bracket rejoins the winners bracket) will not be counted as a tournament round for determining points.

The winner of the losers bracket will receive semi-final bracket point value (last bracket in the winners round).

The tournament winner will receive semi-final point value, as well as 1 additional point for each round up to and including the semi-finals.

For the first GAF tournament (http://challonge.com/40i67tuy) the top 4 would look like this.

Winner - Yondy604 - 16 points
10 points for reaching the semi-finals + 6 points for the 6 round up to and including the semi-finals.
JesseZao - 10 points
Although JesseZao reached the semi-finals and also won the losers bracket he doesn't receive double the points
SuperBonk - 8 points
Hobart - 8 points

The second GAF tournament (http://challonge.com/gafhearthstone ) would look like this.

Soka - 13
bunbun777 - 8
Vio-Lence - 8
inky - 6
Supersonic1305 - 6

After looking at how challonge does the brackets for the first two rounds of some double elimination tournaments I may need to modify how the first couple rounds are handled...it's a long weekend here so I should have it sorted out by Tuesday. Either way, expect some changes.

I'm in!

ZZMitch#1697

I like the look of that points set up. Will you calculate totals from the last two tournaments as well?

I thought about it but decided it might just be better to start fresh. There's a few reasons but the biggest one is I'm not sure how many players on GAF interested in these tournaments, if we average <20 the point totals will be way less than the previous tournaments. The first tournament was when the game was still new and had nearly 39 players so there were a lot of points on the table. (If we started right now with 11 players the winner would receive 10 points).

ZZMitch

I'm in!

ZZMitch#1697

I like the look of that points set up. Will you calculate totals from the last two tournaments as well?

JesseZao

Hunters were nerfed the day after tournament one. Still a bit miffed, lol.

Two points for pity.

Also I got 4th in no. 2. Points should reflect final standings. It somebody gets knocked to loser bracket round one, but goes on to win the whole thing, they should get the most points.

Fixed1979

Hunters were nerfed the day after tournament one. Still a bit miffed, lol.

Two points for pity.

Also I got 4th in no. 2. Points should reflect final standings. It somebody gets knocked to loser bracket round one, but goes on to win the whole thing, they should get the most points.

If a loser bracket player wins they would get the most points. They'd get semi-final bracket points which is the most handed out, plus the the bonus points for the win (1 point for the total rounds in the tournament).

But now this just made me realize that in this case, both the winner and looser of the semi-final round would receive equal points which isn't fair...a bit of rejiggering will be done over the weekend.

Fixed1979

Modified some rules, updated the point structure (pretty much a direct ripoff on the FedEx Cup) and added some final tournament information, also updated the player list. Still more than 5 days for signups!

KingKiller

Neo Member
Hopefully I'll be able to make it at that time, I'm in. Kvothe#1974

Is there anyway we can contact the person we're to be playing and negotiate a later start time?

Fixed1979

Hopefully I'll be able to make it at that time, I'm in. Kvothe#1974

Is there anyway we can contact the person we're to be playing and negotiate a later start time?

You don't have to play your game right at 5PM, you'll have a couple days. 5PM will just be the tournament start time.

LA uses NA servers right? I've only hit rank 12, but whatever just for the funsies.

RazorbackDB#1566

Unless something out to lunch went down when you sent up your account you'll be on the NA server, and rank 12 is probably going to be higher than quite a few people.

Fixed1979

Baring any last minute entry looks like we're set with 24 good players, not a bad turnout.

Brackets will be posted in the OP between 2-3PM EST tomorrow, games can start any time after 5:00PM. Good luck!

Top Bottom