• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The NeoGAF Hearthstone Superstar Open Challenge Season One

Fixed1979

A bit more free time this morning than planned.

OP has been updated with the tournament brackets. Go ahead and start contacting your opponent to arrange your first game.

hutna

Friend request sent to paperboywriter.

PM me here if you want to set up a time to play.

Looking forward to our first game! :)

Fixed1979

I know it's still really early, but if anyone is having trouble setting up their match game as the weekend goes on, make sure to post in here. You don't have to call anyone out, but just posting that you sent them a PM or something will help make determining who gets a pass if your game doesn't happen by the deadline.

manhack

manhack / manhack#1706 > imbask / Bask#1237

No games played.

imbask has passed on the win for this round.

Looking forward to next round.

Fixed1979

When is the deadline for the first round? Monday or Tuesday?

I have a bye right now so I'm just waiting. =p

Monday midnight. Second round matches can start any time.

manhack / manhack#1706 > imbask / Bask#1237

No games played.

imbask has passed on the win for this round.

Looking forward to next round.

First to R3, grats.

Do you know if he's out completely or just for the first round?

ZZMitch

ZZMitch#1697 beat Kvothe#1974 2-0.

Last game especially was super tense! Won't go into detail not giving away any secrets ;)

LiveWire

LiveWire defeats moebius 2-1

ggs! Nice Paladin deck, wish I had a Tirion :( Might be my next legendary to craft though, at 1400 gold..

Lost to livewire

I am pretty disappointed it was best of 3, I first read best of 5 but I guess for some reason we aren't doing that each match? That makes no sense. You can't play this game best of 3, I thought we established that last tournament.

Fixed1979

Lost to livewire

I am pretty disappointed it was best of 3, I first read best of 5 but I guess for some reason we aren't doing that each match? That makes no sense. You can't play this game best of 3, I thought we established that last tournament.

I played the first and missed the second tournament. I didn't realize that it was best of 5 last time or else I probably would have done the same. Unless people have something to say about it, I've got no problem making that change for the next tournament. Honestly, I wasn't sure how much time people were willing to spend playing each other in one match and that doing the semi's and finals as best of 5 was a compromise.

Only one match left in the first round, needs to be completed by midnight tomorrow.

I played the first and missed the second tournament. I didn't realize that it was best of 5 last time or else I probably would have done the same. Unless people have something to say about it, I've got no problem making that change for the next tournament. Honestly, I wasn't sure how much time people were willing to spend playing each other in one match and that doing the semi's and finals as best of 5 was a compromise.

Only one match left in the first round, needs to be completed by midnight tomorrow.

Well we're playing like 3 days apart it shouldn't be much of a commitment to play 5 matches tbh. I should have said something earlier, I just didn't notice the rules were different for the latter matches.

LiveWire

They were both best of 3. Best of 3 is fine for this format.

How about best of 7? Would that help cut down on luck more?

Explain to me why every invite tournament that plays over the course of 2 days plays best of 5?

I'll explain why, because everyone has concluded that 5 is way better than 3 when it comes to playing in a tournament setting. Not to mention the fact that we have flexible rules concerning of deck construction.
I don't even see why you're arguing against it. You get 3 or more days to set aside a chunk of time to play a set.

I have no hard feelings towards you, you played well and all, but I don't see why you're arguing against using best of 5. Every time I play a set win or lose I feel like it should be best of 5 to factor out more luck. I feel like going best of 5 would be best all around.

LiveWire

1,3,5,7 it makes no difference to me. I'll play whatever the rules dictate. I think the reason you're complaining about the number of games is because you lost.

Honestly now, would you have posted about needing best of 5 had you won 2-0? (And not lost to a fortunate draw of lethal cards?) So take our game 3 and make it game 5 of a series between us--same winning draw for me--and all of a sudden it's ok? I think you'd be just as pissed if not moreso.

You're salty over the loss; hey we've all been there, it's part of the game.

Best of 5 might be favorable, but so would banning decks and removing the ability to modify decks in-between matches. You could even make the argument that double elim is inferior to round robin...

I don't know, I'd let it rock for now. Rankings for next tournament should help alleviate losing in the best of 3 rounds.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I'm fine with best of 3 for just a fun neogaf tournament with 20some people.

Best of X elimination tournament isn't really the best kind of tournament for finding the best hearthstone player. A round robin setup is much more robust but when it's just a fun casual tournament... meh. I'm cool with whatever.

Fixed1979

Best of 5 might be favorable, but so would banning decks and removing the ability to modify decks in-between matches. You could even make the argument that double elim is inferior to round robin...

I don't know, I'd let it rock for now. Rankings for next tournament should help alleviate losing in the best of 3 rounds.

I don't want to ban any cards or decks from the start. I really don't like the idea of crippling any players who legitimately use these cards and decks. The meta will change over time.

I'm fine with best of 3 for just a fun neogaf tournament with 20some people.

Best of X elimination tournament isn't really the best kind of tournament for finding the best hearthstone player. A round robin setup is much more robust but when it's just a fun casual tournament... meh. I'm cool with whatever.

I'm looking at a couple different round robin setups, the only problem I see is that for the 24 players we have right now, we'd be looking at 23 rounds. That's a bit of a commitment for anyone, also if someone doesn't sign up for the tournament at the start then it's a very long wait for another opportunity to get involved.

The benefits are reasonable though.
I'd be willing to have a higher payout for the top 3 as completion would take quite awhile longer.
I think best of 5 is perfectly feasible, you'd have more time to schedule your matches and more players you can arrange games with at any given time.
People get to play more games against more gaffers.
Because it would take awhile, we could start a round robin tournament immediately after this one is closed, we can also have them constantly re-starting once the previous one is complete.

We can put some more thought into it, but I like the suggestion. If anyone else wants to weigh in then I'm all ears. If enough people are interested and confident that they would see it through we can change it up next time.

I've sent PM's to the two who still haven't completed their first round matchup, this needs to be completed by midnight tonight. Round 2 should be completed by Thursday midnight.

1,3,5,7 it makes no difference to me. I'll play whatever the rules dictate. I think the reason you're complaining about the number of games is because you lost.

Honestly now, would you have posted about needing best of 5 had you won 2-0? (And not lost to a fortunate draw of lethal cards?) So take our game 3 and make it game 5 of a series between us--same winning draw for me--and all of a sudden it's ok? I think you'd be just as pissed if not moreso.

You're salty over the loss; hey we've all been there, it's part of the game.

No I'm not and I don't appreciate your arguments trying to make it personal rather than about the subject.

I would have brought this up when I first saw the rules but I misread them.

So you had a lucky doomguard into doomguard, that is amazing luck but that isn't what this is about. This is about maximizing a player's ability to control the outcome and over the course of more matches RNG is mitigated further. I wasn't mad at all about doomguard into doomguard. I even said GG at the end and tried to joke about you having amazing luck there, which you responded to rather harshly. Like I said, I have no hard feelings about that.

PM me if you want to discuss that further.

Here I want to talk about the tournament/bo5/etc..

Fun tournament so far, regardless.

Fixed1979

Current open matches.

VpWGiI4.png

Fixed1979

Round One is now complete...well in 9 minutes.

BunBun777 has been removed and PillowKnight advances.

Round 2 must be completed by Thursday midnight EST.

Hey PillowKnight, I sent you an add on bnet. Let me know what time works best for you. I'm on at random times during the day and usually at night.

Top Bottom