• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Royal staff called to Buckingham Palace for emergency meeting

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
giphy.gif

This is the hardest I've laughed at a GAF post in a while. Thank you.
Where is this from?

kmag

Imagine being wakened up at 3am by your work to be told that a 95 year old is not going to be cutting ribbons in 6 months time.

pigeon

Banned
Union Flag it's only a Jack when its on ship.

Isn't your whole country basically a ship, since it's floating in the Atlantic and has a sovereign who can perform weddings?

I guess it's technically a boat, because of the mast thing. So fair enough.

While he's the topic can I ask why he didn't get the title of king?

I believe if the man is in line for the throne he becomes the king and his wife the queen, but when it's a woman in line for the throne she is the queen and her husband the prince. I think this is because king is the 'higher rank' so to speak, and thus if the queen is the one of royal blood she cannot be outranked.

That's a clumsy way of describing it, but I think that's how it works.

Ahasverus

I believe if the man is in line for the throne he becomes the king and his wife the queen, but when it's a woman in line for the throne she is the queen and her husband the prince. I think this is because king is the 'higher rank' so to speak, and thus if the queen is the one of royal blood she cannot be outranked.

Oh this is right, forgive my ignorance. Makes sense.

Edit: well seems I wasn't far off. The wife of a King is also a Queen Consort, which means not a queen queen. That's different to most monarchies where each spouse has the same power, or at least in paper.

danowat

Banned

A more succinct way would be.

It's a hereditary title.

danowat

Banned
So if a queen dies but his husband doesn't he doesn't get crowned King if he wants to? What if they're childrenless? What if the successor is a toddler? So many questions.

It goes to the eldest son, if there is no son, then the daughter.

Not sure if there have ever been any childless monarchs

Peru

Less energy should be spent on getting angry at the Royal Family and more on booting the tories who have power to ruin all you love the fuck out.

There have been loads:
King Edward VIII (succeeded by his brother, George VI)
Queen Anne (succeeded by the nearest poor sod we could find who wasn't a Catholic)
Mary and William (succeeded by the nearest poor sod we could find who was a Catholic)
and a pile of Tudors including Lizzie Prime.

moggio

Banned
BREAKING: Prince Philip To Retire From Racism

RUMOURS spread like wildfire this morning as employees at all Royal residences in Britain were asked to report to Buckingham Palace for an emergency meeting.

With people speculating that the Royal family were finally ready to reveal their true, space-reptilian form, cameras descended on the Palace.

However, many were left disappointed to learn that the meeting was called to relay that Prince Philip, husband to the Queen, would be formally retiring from all casual racism duties he has been responsible for since 1782.

End of an era ;(

danthefan

So if a queen dies but his husband doesn't he doesn't get crowned King if he wants to? What if they're childrenless? What if the successor is a toddler? So many questions.

There's a well established line of succession. It's definitely not the husband who takes over if the Queen dies.

Look up the line of succession on Wikipedia.

No. The Queen's mother lived for 50 years after the King died, but she stopped being Queen the moment​ he died.

If a child becomes monarch, then a regent will be placed in charge until the child comes of age.

This shit had been laid down for centuries, there's no confusion. The line of succession is clear unless there's a King Ralph-esqe accident.

danowat

Banned
There have been loads:
Queen Anne (succeeded by the nearest poor sod we could find who wasn't a Catholic)
Mary and William (succeeded by the nearest poor sod we could find who was a Catholic)

Cheers, been a long long time since I did the monarchy at school!

PJV3

Didn't Cameron update the rules in nod to the modern world, it's just the eldest child regardless of naughty bits.

No. The Queen's mother lived for 50 years after the King died, but she stopped being Queen the moment​ he died.

If a child becomes monarch, then a regent will be placed in charge until the child comes of age.

This shit had been laid down for centuries, there's no confusion. The line of succession is clear unless there's a King Ralph-esqe accident.

Can anyone kill the king/queen to become king/queen themselves like in Game of Thrones?

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Can anyone kill the king/queen to become king/queen themselves like in Game of Thrones?

Yes, theoretically a third party could declare war on the UK, kill the royal family, and claim the throne for themselves. Typically you'd have to have some sort of claim on the throne, however tenuous. It wouldn't go over to well on the international stage, but this is exactly what happened many times in history.

This shit had been laid down for centuries, there's no confusion. The line of succession is clear

Seriously, the way some people are posting, it's like they think this hasn't been figured out or planned for, and that the kingdom would be in some "Oops. What do we do now?" situation.

As said, the Line of Succession is laid out hundreds of people deep.

Jacob

Where is this from?

This ridiculous commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-3HEyR-c3M

Oh this is right, forgive my ignorance. Makes sense.

Edit: well seems I wasn't far off. The wife of a King is also a Queen Consort, which means not a queen queen. That's different to most monarchies where each spouse has the same power, or at least in paper.

That's not how most monarchies work. There's generally only one monarch at a time, and their spouse is called a consort. In the British system, a male monarch is a King and his wife is the Queen consort, but is usually just called the Queen. A female monarch is called the Queen (or sometimes "Queen regnant" for clarity) and her husband is called the Prince consort. Joint-monarchies between a husband and a wife are pretty rare. IIRC the only one in British history was William and Mary in the 17th century.

EDIT: actually, there was Philip and (a different) Mary in the 16th century as well. At that time, the rules surrounding female monarchs were different and if one got married then her husband became King jure uxoris (by right of his wife). This hasn't been the case in Britain for a long time, though.

Ah that was it, it was a kind of post dated rule applying to William and Kate's offspring onwards.

This is true, but oldest child of each of the next three generations (Charles, William, and George) are all male anyway, so the likelihood of there being another Queen regnant in the near future is pretty slim.

There have been loads:

Well she did have a good go at it, 17 pregnancies in total.

Top Bottom