• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Games RPG Hangout

ArtemisClydeFrog

Gold Member
Nov 7, 2020
I had Persona 5 on the PS4 last year and put like 40 hours in before I ended up selling the console. I got my PS5 last week but the save file wasn't there, so I said fuck it and bought the Royal version for $30. Already got 11 hours in it, finally get to finish this beast.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Dec 5, 2017
Anyone play World of FF?

I'm a big FF fan but I started it and it seems kind of strange.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Dec 5, 2017
I've only played the first two hours. It's basically Final Fantasy Pokemon fan service game.

ya for me FF is all about the story. And this one doesn't seem to have any. That's one reason why i couldn't get into FF Tactics Advance.

Labadal

Aug 31, 2010
ya for me FF is all about the story. And this one doesn't seem to have any. That's one reason why i couldn't get into FF Tactics Advance.
FFTA is more gameplay focused, yes. Spent over 130 hours with both FFTA games.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Aug 27, 2019

I really hope XVI get's back on track for me. Pretty much the only reason I got a PS5. I didn't really like 15. I didn't hate it as much as others seem to but its definitely bottom of the list for me.

Reactions: DGrayson

Lanrutcon

Feb 19, 2014
Irrelevant
I gave World of FF two tries.

I just couldn't get far. The characters, the story, the gameplay...at least make a competent Pokemon rip off if you're going to try.

Brute

Nov 25, 2020
I’m hovering over Divinity 2 - it’s in a sale on Xbox store now.

But I haven’t played a turn based game since the PS3 era. And D2 intimidates me.

Lanrutcon

Feb 19, 2014
Irrelevant
I’m hovering over Divinity 2 - it’s in a sale on Xbox store now.

But I haven’t played a turn based game since the PS3 era. And D2 intimidates me.

Getting your ass kicked is part of the journey. It's a fun game, and on the grand scale of those kinds of games D2 isn't that hard.

Reactions: Evil Calvin
Oct 26, 2018
GOG winter sale. Practically everything is on sale. You can grab all those 30 year old classics for probably $2 each.

klosos

Apr 5, 2018
Just put down Kingdom Come Deliverance, I enjoyed it mostly but to many annoying little issues to carry on playing. A bit too much Euro Jank for me. Hopefully Warhorse Studios can expend on the good ideas from this build upon them but remove some annoyances.

klosos

Apr 5, 2018
However ill might pick up either Wasteland 3 Or Torment Tides of Numenera next not sure which one. Most probably Wasteland 3.

Labadal

Aug 31, 2010
Really why a Disappointment? what's so wrong with it in your opinion
It tries to be Planescape: Torment 2, but it fails. Companions aren't great in general. There are some good moments of writing here and there in the story, but it doesn't hit top tier at many moments.

Gameplay is subpar. The combat is mostly weak. Encounters aren't fun. There are two or three encounters in the game that can be solved creatively, but other than that, it was very underwhelming. There are no fun abilities and items feel like an afterthought. (Hell, most things involving combat feel like they were an afterthought.) Visually, it looks good in places, but in others, it looks really bad. There's no real lighting system and shadows are non-existent.

Of all the areas of the game, I enjoyed The Bloom. It's well done and was the vision of George Ziets. He's a talented developer. The game was in pre-production for several years and was reworked many times. During that time, project leads and leading developers on the team left. I think it changed leads on some roles two or three times.

It might be worth one play through if you're curious, but a masterpiece, it is not.

klosos

Apr 5, 2018
It tries to be Planescape: Torment 2, but it fails. Companions aren't great in general. There are some good moments of writing here and there in the story, but it doesn't hit top tier at many moments.

Gameplay is subpar. The combat is mostly weak. Encounters aren't fun. There are two or three encounters in the game that can be solved creatively, but other than that, it was very underwhelming. There are no fun abilities and items feel like an afterthought. (Hell, most things involving combat feel like they were an afterthought.) Visually, it looks good in places, but in others, it looks really bad. There's no real lighting system and shadows are non-existent.

Of all the areas of the game, I enjoyed The Bloom. It's well done and was the vision of George Ziets. He's a talented developer. The game was in pre-production for several years and was reworked many times. During that time, project leads and leading developers on the team left. I think it changed leads on some roles two or three times.

It might be worth one play through if you're curious, but a masterpiece, it is not.
OK thanks for the heads up, I'll start Wasteland 3 when I get time then.

Thanks for the detailed answer

Reactions: Labadal

Evil Calvin

Aug 23, 2017
Suikoden 1 was great.
I have so many RPG's that I bought to play on the Switch: Operencia, Baldur's Gate 1&2, Planescape Torment, Neverwinter Nights, Skyrim, and Divinity Original Sin 2. I really want to get back into that. Really good. I also have the Witcher 3 on Switch but I'm in the last DLC on Xbox, so I'll hold off on that on Switch. I have Pillars of Eternity but barely started it as I heard it has issues on the Switch. I also am blessed enough to have Panzer Dragon Saga queued up in my Saturn so I need to play some more of that. The battery died so I replaced it and restarted PDS. Never finished it originally.

Azaroth

Jun 18, 2019
Would be interested to hear some opinions on Greedfall. It's inclusion with PS+ recently reminded me of it, though if I decide to play it I'll likely get it on PC. I'm aware it's not AAA and have read/watched a couple reviews, but would be interested to hear some GAF opinions on the game.

Lanrutcon

Feb 19, 2014
Irrelevant
Would be interested to hear some opinions on Greedfall. It's inclusion with PS+ recently reminded me of it, though if I decide to play it I'll likely get it on PC. I'm aware it's not AAA and have read/watched a couple reviews, but would be interested to hear some GAF opinions on the game.

Um. It was ok. Like, the shine wore off super quickly once you realise there were budget issues. It shows in enemy variety, npc variety, voice acting, etc. After a few hours you realise that nothing is as deep or as varied as initially hinted at and it's probably because they didn't have the budget. The skill tree is pretty shallow, as is combat, as is itemisation...sidequests aren't anything special and affect nothing in the world...the main quest is pretty linear with the illusion of choice...the faction system is trivial and changes nothing in the plot. Basically everything looks awesome when you start the game, then once you've spent some time you see the shortcomings.

I like the era and the visuals of the game, but I felt like I'd seen it all 1/3rd of the way in. I was pretty much right.

Solid 7/10 game that you probably will tire of before you reach the end.

Last edited:

Azaroth

Jun 18, 2019
Um. It was ok. Like, the shine wore off super quickly once you realise there were budget issues. It shows in enemy variety, npc variety, voice acting, etc. After a few hours you realise that nothing is as deep or as varied as initially hinted at and it's probably because they didn't have the budget. The skill tree is pretty shallow, as is combat, as is itemisation...sidequests aren't anything special and affect nothing in the world...the main quest is pretty linear with the illusion of choice...the faction system is trivial and changes nothing in the plot. Basically everything looks awesome when you start the game, then once you've spent some time you see the shortcomings.

I like the era and the visuals of the game, but I felt like I'd seen it all 1/3rd of the way in. I was pretty much right.

Solid 7/10 game that you probably will tire of before you reach the end.
Thank you, I appreciate the impressions.

kamkamkam

Neo Member
Jan 11, 2021
Whats it gonna take to get a xenogears remake.

Xenoblade and saga just don't scratch the same itch.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Jun 7, 2004
Memphis
My 20 year old PS2 finally gave up the ghost. Looks like GameSpot sells refurbs for $50. Anyone had any luck with those?

Also FYI you can get a pre-owned copy of Suikoden II for $135. I guess it has not been re-released.

kamkamkam

Neo Member
Jan 11, 2021
My 20 year old PS2 finally gave up the ghost. Looks like GameSpot sells refurbs for $50. Anyone had any luck with those?

Also FYI you can get a pre-owned copy of Suikoden II for $135. I guess it has not been re-released.