• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RttP: Final Fantasy IX or: I'm sorry for hating on this back in '00

Finalow

What. Hasn't it been officially confirmed that it's supposed to be Zidane anyway? Like isn't that what they were going for? Anyway, don't see how it sounds "wrong", sounds just like an actual name for a person. Better Zidane than something like Edge Maverick.
since when a character from videogames needs an actual existing name.
you're missing my point, to me Zidane doesn't seem like the best translation, not even close. Gidan is already better.

The game still gives you the option to name characters so if you want Jitan, you can have Jitan. Along with Bibi, Salamander & Freyja.
as stated above, I don't see how that has anything to do with the point I was trying to make.

Interestingly, in Sakaguchi's very first video game, "The Death Trap", there was also a character called ジタン but his name was romanized as Gitanes:
-
"Gitanes", lol.

Ezalc

since when a character from videogames needs an actual existing name.
you're missing my point, to me Zidane doesn't seem like the best translation, not even close. Gidan is already better.

They don't but usually having a name that isn't Alucarwolf Ultrabestest or something as equally dumb makes the character at least a bit more believable or relatable.

The point is what they were going for, if in every instance he's named Zidane and those sounds were the closest they could get to the name with Japanese pronunciations, then that's his name. I'm pretty sure nobody thinks it's Kuraudo or Sukuaru or something for Cloud and Squall.

And no, Gidan is awful.

Are you sure? Here are the sources that someone once gave me to convince me that Amano was the original designer:
My understanding is that Toshiyuki Itahana and Hideo Minaba conceived the original/prototype character designs, which were then given to Amano to do the "official" designs. I don't think Amano came up with them himself.

Ff9_char2.JPG

Finalow

They don't but usually having a name that isn't Alucarwolf Ultrabestest or something as equally dumb makes the character at least a bit more believable or relatable.

The point is what they were going for, if in every instance he's named Zidane and those sounds were the closest they could get to the name with Japanese pronunciations, then that's his name. I'm pretty sure nobody thinks it's Kuraudo or Sukuaru or something for Cloud and Squall.

And no, Gidan is awful.
I don't see how Gidan is a dumb name that makes the character less believable or relatable, if that's what you were implying.
Gi sounds much closer to their japanese Ji than Zi, whether you like it or not. they chose what they chose and that's what I'm criticizing, zzz.

I'm pretty sure nobody thinks it's Kuraudo or Sukuaru or something for Cloud and Squall.
?? so what. I wasn't suggesting that it had to stay Jitan.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Zidane is an awesome name, and much better than naming the character after weather. Squall might be the dumbest name in the series next to the entire XIII cast (Sazh excluded). Cloud is kind of name-like, a little, but Squall sounds like a teen superhero or something... not a name you'd give your child.

AgeEighty

Zidane is an awesome name, and much better than naming the character after weather. Squall might be the dumbest name in the series next to the entire XIII cast (Sazh excluded). Cloud is kind of name-like, a little, but Squall sounds like a teen superhero or something... not a name you'd give your child.

Zidane was never actually a "child" and never had parents, but although I actually like the name Gidan better than Zidane, I think Zidane is a fine name and I agree with the point that it's a far better choice than all the awful weather or element based names other heroes have been given.

Ganondorfo

I just hope that they make another fairy tale Final Fantasy game like this with the medieval castles (Lindblum) and airships and the beautiful villages like Vivi's hometown and Dali. Do you think we will see a big budget Final Fantasy like that anymore? Or is everything Final Fantasy now in the stye of Noctis and his gang?

jwhit28

I just hope that they make another fairy tale Final Fantasy game like this with the medieval castles (Lindblum) and airships and the beautiful villages like Vivi's hometown and Dali. Do you think we will see a big budget Final Fantasy like that anymore? Or is everything Final Fantasy now in the stye of Noctis and his gang?

You should try FFXIV. It's not quite the same but it is as close as they have been since IX.

Ganondorfo

You should try FFXIV. It's not quite the same but it is as close as they have been since IX.

Yeah, but I want it to be another single player only game, with epic villains like Kuja and Garland and friendship moments between the characters and also that timeless music from Uematsu. I know he doesnt work there anymore, so the music won't sound like that anymore.

UrbanRats

To me Vivi is one of the few gaming characters meant to be "cute" or "adorable" that doesn't become irritating in the process.

Top Bottom