• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Forrest Gump. Jenny. Her?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the tragic things about this story iis how this woman treats Forrest throughout their adult life. Granted, she has had her run of abusive men in her life but she always acknowledged Forrest was different in how he treated her. Despite this, she consistently ignores him. And when she does come back to him in Alabama, she walks out on him again as he sleeps without even saying goodbye - this is the morning after they made love.

The first and only time she actually writes to him, it is to tell him (a) she is dying so as she has nothing left, she'd rather die the wife of a good man, so how about we marry now that I have nothing to life for (b) and oh btw, here's your child I've been hiding from you for several years.

Poor Forrest didn't see it this way, and so he married her and took care of her till her dying day. But the real love story in this film was between him and Lt Dan Taylor; he seems to show more affection and loyalty for Forrest than Jenny does in all her scenes combined.

What was your impression of the Jenny character?

She struck me as somebody who grew up with abuse and so is psychologically inclined to gravitate towards that. She isn't programmed for happiness with Forrest.

Jokergrin

Haley+Joel+Osment+famous+role+movie+Sixth+rIOraMi7JXWl.jpg

MutFox

Banned
Don't care what anyone thinks, I love this movie.
I can start watching at any point when it's on TV and I can't look away.

YQrrGl.jpg

The grave scene just kills me. One of the few movie moments that can genuinely bring tears to my eyes on repeat viewings. Hanks earned that oscar in this one moment

big ander

Don't care what anyone thinks, I love this movie.
I can start watching at any point when it's on TV and I can't look away.
then you're binded to watch it a lot, with it being on about twice a day on cable
How in the fuck could anyone hate this movie? Hanks is brilliant.
don't hate it, just don't like it much. Hanks is alright (he's been a lot better), connection to the characters is thin, most of it is "haha remember this happened in history," it's paced oddly.

Kevtones

One of my favorite scripts. Don't mind the sentimentality because the structure is so fucking good. I'd rather marvel at than spend my time getting cynical about the feel goodery.

Pulp did deserve the nod and Gump betray the book's character but it's an incredible popcorn flick.

Its one of those movies that have became so ingrained in pop culture and i grew up watching it over and over. Its impossible for me to look at anything in this movie critically

The book is much better than the movie. 100x funnier, Forrest does a bunch of awesome shit (ex. becomes an astronaut, lives on an island with cannibals, makes friends with an orangutan, becomes a champion wrestler/chess player and stars in a science fiction movie, etc.) and there's no depressing stuff that just makes you feel sad

Yeah it was sad. But, I think part of the reason she stayed away from Forrest was because she would end up messing his life up with her messed up life and drug/alcohol addiction.

I don't think she was using him at the end, but that's certainly open to interpretation. I think she loved him, no doubt though.

Unabashedly love Forest Gump, have seen it dozens of times and can quote certain scenes line-by-line.

Pulp Fiction was still the best picture of the year, though

Jacob

I know it's sappy and I don't think it should have won the Best Picture Oscar in 1994 (Pulp Fiction was definitely robbed) but I really love this movie. It always gets to me in the final scenes, especially Forrest at the grave. It's a bit embarrassing when watching the film with other people, actually.

ajf009

their whole life - screw that guy I want other people

End of her life - Well... I'm dying, and he's filthy rich... okay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom