• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Forrest Gump. Jenny. Her?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
I hadn't really seen Jenny in that way, just as an emotionally and psychologically messed up girl.

I love Forrest Gump btw, and I ain't even mad it won best picture. You wanna talk about overrated movies let's talk about Shawshank Redemption. I'll never understand its IMDB chart position. Best movie of all time? Really?

MisterHero

Para bailar La Bomba said:
Let me spell it out for you, in very simple English:

Forrest and Jenny both come from broken homes, both suffer disabilities as children.

One chooses to obey all the rules, follow orders his entire life and to live "within the system". The other chooses to rebel against society, becomes a hippie, a drug addict and dies from AIDS.

Lt. Dan becomes a millionaire and even regains his legs when finds peace with the All Mighty.

Moral of the story: If you live your life the "right way", don't challenge authority you can overcome all obstacles regardless how big they are, especially if you believe in the All Mighty.
He was just there when Hurricane Carmen happened, and Lieutenant Dan's willingness to die took them out to sea where their boat wasn't smashed against the coast like the others. All the dialoge implying "an act of God" fits the part where Forrest was told he needed to pray.

Forrest doesn't choose to do anything. He just doesn't have any reasons to say no. He doesn't even get rich himself. He becomes a shrimper because he was going to work with Bubba, then Lieutenant Dan was smart enough to invest in a fruit company.

He gets prosthetic legs as a side-effect of space research, which was originally promoted by a liberal President.

Jenny got AIDS because she was having all kinds of anonymous sex and drug use, most likely sharing needles. This was in a time when the consequences weren't known (though Elvis's appearance did foreshadow it).

I don't think showing Forrest's squad getting blown away could be called a conservative view of the military. Lieutenant Dan was probably the most "conservatively bent" character, and if he'd stuck to his family's military tradition he would've died in Vietnam.

He got discharged when he accidentally uncovered Watergate, implying a negative view of the government against Forrest.

Matt

"Broken home" is generally used when anyone is raised by 1 parent instead of 2. That's just the phrase, it doesn't imply that Forest is himself "broken" like Jenny was. Just "home" being father and mother and "broken home" being one of those parties missing.

I understand the definition, but somehow equating their childhood homes' is insane. Forest's home was loving, Jenny's was hell. Saying they both were "broken" and therefore equal is incredibly naive.

big ander

And man, you really gotta love the internet. Only on the web can you find a forum full of people who love Speed Racer and absolutely loath Forrest Gump.
Not to pick on you cause you're not the only one but the mentality that some opinions only exist on the internet is silly bullshit. if it exists on the internet it exists outside of it too. plenty of my friends love Gump, plenty hate it. A bunch of my friends love Speed Racer, a few hate it, and the rest haven't seen it. don't use "people would say that ON THE INTERNET" as a rational for why someone has an opinion you perceive to be ridiculous.
I love Forrest Gump btw, and I ain't even mad it won best picture. You wanna talk about overrated movies let's talk about Shawshank Redemption. I'll never understand its IMDB chart position. Best movie of all time? Really?
It's about the same as Forrest for me: uneven with some decent pieces, some of the sentimentality works, it's ultimately very thin and unremarkable.

Matt

In the 1950's, single parent homes were stigmatized. It's clear Forrest lacked a father figure.

Jenny's disability was that she was victim of child abuse.

That...dosen't prove your point at all. Forest's and Jenny's home life were nothing alike, so why are you acting like they were?

I understand the definition, but somehow equating their childhood homes' is insane. Forest's home was loving, Jenny's was hell. Saying they both were "broken" and therefore equal is incredibly naive.

I say again, its clear that Forrest lacked a father figure. For a boy growing up, this is quite a significant absence.

That...dosen't prove your point at all. Forest's and Jenny's home life were nothing alike, so why are you acting like they were?

They weren't alike but there were parallels. Why are you focusing on the less relevant parts of the thesis?

Matt

I say again, its clear that Forrest lacked a father figure. For a boy growing up, this is quite a significant absence.

So, Forest "lacking a father figure" is equal to Jenny being sexually abused?

So, should children that are abused by their fathers not be taken away, because, hey, it's just as bad to be without one?

BigDug13

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, from that standpoint, a direct comparison between the two homes is pretty silly.

Matt

Come to think of it, I'd also like to know what important life lessons Forest missed out on from being raised in a single parent home. It seems that Forest was raised to be the best possible person he could be.

Whats clear is that you're looking for a political slant that doesn't exist by selectively remembering some parts of the movie and forgetting others

Hey...I didn't make up this thesis. It was written ages ago and most people with half of a political education of the 50's, 60's and 70's agree with it.

However, i think it's obvious you people are in defensive mode at the moment and aren't in a mood to entertain a rationale argument....so quite frankly I have better things to do than to give a crash course in PoliSci on such a beautiful day.

Forrest Gump is incredibly cheesy, cliched, and shamefully manipulative of the audience in every way.

But I eat it up every single time I watch it and cannot help but love the film.

Matt

Hey...I didn't make up this thesis. It was written ages ago and most people with half of a political education of the 50's, 60's and 70's agree with it.

However, i think it's obvious you people are defensive mode at the moment and aren't in a mood to entertain a rationale argument.

You have some research to back this up? I've had an extensive education in political science, worked in the field, and I see your argument as completely baseless.

Go on, argue rationally. I'll be happy to listin and engage in a reasonable mannor.

However, i think it's obvious you people are in defensive mode at the moment and aren't in a mood to entertain a rationale argument....so quite frankly I have better things to do than to give a crash course in PoliSci on such a beautiful day.

lol who's defensive again? I simply wanted you to make sense of your theory and you are unable to do so. While it may be attractive to paint Forrest Gump as a conservative movie (it takes place in the south, lots of conservatives probably see it as a patriotic movie) it would be nice if you were capable of coming up with more than an appeal to authority and half remembered plot details to back it up

MisterHero

Theses are claims that hopefully have strong supports, but that doesn't a disagreeing thesis can't have just as many strong supports.

If Forrest Gump were a one-dimensional narrative, the claim about political bias would be stronger. However, the movie does have multiple perspectives, and doesn't make any heavy-handed statements.

FStop7

Banned
Jenny was a selfish jerk.

But the whole thing's a clumsy metaphor so the characters of Forrest and Jenny are supposed to represent blazing your own trail vs. blindly following the herd.

bengraven

There's seriously a subset of the population that thinks Forrest Gump is a right wing propoganda piece? Now I've heard everything.

There's seriously a subset of the population that thinks Forrest Gump is a right wing propoganda piece? Now I've heard everything.

I wouldn't quite call it "right wing propaganda" so much as "reactionary fantasy". Owen Gleiberman's semi-pan of the movie in Entertainment Weekly sums it up nicely:

In metaphorical terms, Forrest is the mythical, clean-cut spirit of the '50s emerging unscathed from the messiness that came after.

The film does not feel particularly enamored with the social upheaval and counter-culture movements of the '60s and '70s.

Matt

I wouldn't quite call it "right wing propaganda" so much as "reactionary fantasy". Owen Gleiberman's semi-pan of the movie in Entertainment Weekly sums it up nicely:

The film does not feel particularly enamored with the social upheaval and counter-culture movements of the '60s and '70s.

This is a view on the movie that could actually be reasonably discussed.

You have some research to back this up? I've had an extensive education in political science, worked in the field, and I see your argument as completely baseless.

Go on, argue rationally. I'll be happy to listin and engage in a reasonable mannor.

Well, you can start by going back to my original post and try to rebut some of the arguments apart from the less significant details.

Given your extensive Political Science education, you will also be able to tell us how a film that promulgates moral clarity over intellectual superiority, is not sending a Conservative message.

Yes, because disabled people in the 50's/60's were able to improve their lives and transcend to greatness merely by listening to and following what everybody else was telling them. And those who didn't believe in God and chose to rebel, were destined to die from AIDS.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Jenny was a selfish jerk.

But the whole thing's a clumsy metaphor so the characters of Forrest and Jenny are supposed to represent blazing your own trail vs. blindly following the herd.

Forest is not forging his own path at all. The floating feather is a symbol of what Forest represents: being carried by the wind, or "going with the flow".

Forest never changes, he never grows. He experiences all aspects of life on the same tone. He does not recognize his personal achievements, but as a result never experiences loss. He is dead and carried by the wind. Jenny forged her own path, did whatever she wanted, and as a result experienced joy and sorrow.

If anything the movie is more of a nihilist story than right-wing conservatism.

edit: Watch the movie again and understand how each character will suffer the consequences of having aspirations, and how life randomly grants some with happiness and others with sadness and loss. The best example is the hurricane that destroys the competition's boats, allowing Dan and Forest to become rich.

Heck, "Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what you're gonna get." makes it clear enough.

MisterHero

Yes, because disabled people in the 50's/60's were able to improve their lives and transcend to greatness merely by listening to and following what everybody else was telling them. And those who didn't believe in God and chose to rebel, were destined to die from AIDS.
How do you know Jenny wasn't blindly following the 'intellectual rebellion'?

I'm not saying she was, but the movie can be interpreted that way too.

Makoto

I hadn't really seen Jenny in that way, just as an emotionally and psychologically messed up girl.

One could interpret Rotten Tomatoes scores and saying, "But it says I'm 96% likely to enjoy The Social Network." or "The Social Network is better than 96% of movies." That's not the case though, it just resonated with 96% of the critics.

Similarly, The Shawshank Redemption's position on a IMDB simply means it resonated best with the most people. It really doesn't imply the bolded.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Not to pick on you cause you're not the only one but the mentality that some opinions only exist on the internet is silly bullshit. if it exists on the internet it exists outside of it too. plenty of my friends love Gump, plenty hate it. A bunch of my friends love Speed Racer, a few hate it, and the rest haven't seen it. don't use "people would say that ON THE INTERNET" as a rational for why someone has an opinion you perceive to be ridiculous.
I know that some opinions don't exist solely on the net. But I need you to understand something; I've literally never met a human being outside the internet that hated Forrest Gump. Literally. I've only heard either the highest of praise or people who thought it was just ok. Never any contempt. And I'm certainly not the only one in this boat. Finding a Forrest Gump hater in the real world is like finding a Shiny Pokemon in the wild, which is why so many people are taken aback when the vocal minority gather like flies to shit whenever a thread like this is made. It's bizarre.

I've also never met a single solitary human being outside the internet (other than my self) who saw Speed Racer and thought much of it. Yet it's god-tier here... treated like hallowed ground. It's so patently ridiculous and over the top and I never hear it uttered in real life. Not a god damn whisper.

It's really difficult for me to ignore such a stark contrast between my real world experiences and opinions I'm ONLY reading on internet forums by a vocal minority. It's hard for me to take it seriously and treat it as anything but haters hating. And if the internet is good at anything, it's hating shit that people love, I think we can all agree on that.

Marjorine

I had honestly forgotten about the Gump win over Shawshank and Pulp Fiction due to the much, much worse screwjob of Shakespeare In Love beating Saving Private Ryan. That one was so bad it wiped my memory. The Brokeback/Crash fiasco is second.

At least I remember enjoying Forrest Gump when I was watching it at the theater. Quite a lot actually. I can't say the same for Shakespeare or Crash.

How do you know Jenny wasn't blindly following the 'intellectual rebellion'?

I'm not saying she was, but the movie can be interpreted that way too.

Intellectualism of the 60's wasn't based on a dogma. Everything and everybody was subject to dispute. This implies a chaos that cannot be "followed".

big ander

It's really difficult for me to ignore such a stark contrast between my real world experiences and opinions I'm ONLY reading on internet forums by a vocal minority. It's hard for me to take it seriously and treat it as anything but haters hating. And if the internet is good at anything, it's hating shit that people love, I think we can all agree on that.
And that's fair, I've definitely encountered situations where my real world perception of what people think of something wildly differs from what I read on the internet. But I've been trying to prevent myself from jumping straight to "that person's a hater." 9 times out of 10, that's all they are. But the 1 time they aren't, you'll get a conversation going where an understanding of the opposite point of view can be reached. So when I or anyone confronts a drastic contrast like that, they might get something out of it. I dunno.

Matt

Well, you can start by going back to my original post and try to rebut some of the arguments apart from the less significant details.

OK.

Forrest and Jenny both come from broken homes, both suffer disabilities as children.

As previously said, Jenny and Forest's upbringing were very, very different.

One chooses to obey all the rules, follow orders his entire life and to live "within the system". The other chooses to rebel against society, becomes a hippie, a drug addict and dies from AIDS.

Forest dosen't make a choice to stay "within the system," he just goes along with what people around him say. And yes, Jenny makes mistakes, but those are tied to the after effects of sexual abuse, not inherent political beliefs.

Lt. Dan becomes a millionaire and even regains his legs when finds peace with the All Mighty.

Lt. Dan becomes a millionaire as a result of a hurricane (and some good choices afterwords), and science gave him back his legs, not anything else.

Given your extensive Political Science education, you will also be able to tell us how a film that promulgates moral clarity over intellectual superiority, is not sending a Conservative message.

At what point does the movie make an anti-intelectual argument? Just because Forest isn't smart and things work out for him, dosen't make if he was smarter they wouldn't have worked out better.

Frankly, Forest seems like a perfect liberal. He dosen't judge or disparage anyone, and believes in charity and generosity. You think Forrest Gump would stand in the way of two gay people getting married? Or object to his taxes being raised to fund social programs?

It's a decent film with a likable protagonist and a loathsome antagonist. The character of Forrest is a fun one but I kind of agree with the "don't worry, be happy" type of crowd on this. I still couldn't believe he kept giving her chances throughout all the time in his life.

I do like the theme and much of the licensed music for the film, too.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Forrest is the one going with the flow, the feather represents that. The movie is not conservative, it's nihilistic. Forrest would have a been religious if the intention had been to give the movie a conservative slant.

The whole movie represents how life makes no gift, life is random events "Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what you're gonna get.", and Gump represents an empty vase, a person without aspirations, and it sends the message that one without aspirations experiences no sorrow. Gump is the only one "going with the flow", all the others have dreams or are running towards something. That's another message: "Gump can run like the wind", like Jenny said. Precisely, Gump runs to nowhere, while others run somewhere and get punished for it, or others get punished for their benefit.

Bubba had a dream to own a shrimp company; he died and Gump lived his dream instead, without experiencing the joy Bubba would have, reducing Bubba's dream to nullity.

Dan loses his legs at war, gains them "back" after becoming rich thanks to a hurricane that destroyed the livelihood of other fishermen. He even goes on to invest his wealth in that new "Apple" company, just to reinforce to us the idea that life is a big game of chance and Dan is someone who experienced bad luck and good luck.

Jenny is a victim who is trying to find comfort in a chaotic world and ultimately finds none other than with the empty-headed Gump: nihilism.

MisterHero

I'd like to think it's nihilistic of the idea that political ideals can exist independently of each other, perhaps (Forrest and Jenny embracing in DC, Lieutenant Dan marrying a Vietnamese).

Lieutenant Dan wouldn't be alive if it weren't for something that Jenny told Forrest.

Forest dosen't make a choice to stay "within the system," he just goes along with what people around him say. And yes, Jenny makes mistakes, but those are tied to the after effects of sexual abuse, not inherent political beliefs.

At what point does the movie make an anti-intelectual argument? Just because Forest isn't smart and things work out for him, dosen't make if he was smarter they wouldn't have worked out better.r

Hope that helps.

The fact that Forrest doesn't make a choice to follow means he has follows the dogma of the system blindly. In other words, if he knew how to challenge authority he would be worse off.

Lt. Dan becomes a millionaire as a result of a hurricane (and some good choices afterwords), and science gave him back his legs, not anything else.

The hurricane is an allegory for a biblical event. The fortunate circumstances that ensued were so improbable that they have must have come from a divine source. Heck, Lt. Dan even speaks to God.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'd like to think it's nihilistic of the idea that political ideals can exist independently of each other, perhaps (Forrest and Jenny embracing in DC, Lieutenant Dan marrying a Vietnamese).

Lieutenant Dan wouldn't be alive if it weren't for something that Jenny told Forrest.

Sure, that Vietnamese woman will have a better life thanks to the fact her country got bombed.

That's all the movie is about and three of its most iconic images smack it in our faces:

1- Feather carried by the wind.
2- Box of random chocolate.
3- Forrest running to nowhere.

MisterHero

Sure, that Vietnamese woman will have a better life thanks to the fact her country got bombed.

That's all the movie is about and three of its most iconic images smack it in our faces:

1- Feather carried by the wind.
2- Box of random chocolate.
3- Forrest running to nowhere.
The embrace in the Reflecting Pool was another high point.

Forrest supposed that he was trying to escape his desire for Jenny. She didn't make all the right decisions, but she gave him the reason he was alive.

It's not that the perspectives outright make their efforts futile, they subtract and add in ways that any of these characters can't comprehend.

Forrest also suggests that life is a little bit of both random events and actual consequences. Forrest's mom provided the opening statement of the movie, but his perspective drew a different conclusion.

Those items are symbols for one outlook on life, but the sneakers can speak for the actual experience.

Yeah war is awful and has consequences but things can get better if some people decide it can be better.

No....it dosen't.

You don't really have any actual beliefs on this issue, do you? Otherwise you would be, you know, making statements of actual substance.

You asked the question: how is it an anti-intellectual film?

Yet you answered it yourself: because Forrest is incapable of reason and choice.

What is so difficult to understand?

He never questions orders.

Matt

Yet you answered it yourself: because Forrest is incapable of reason and choice.

That doesn't make it anti-intelectual. That's an incredibly simplistic way of looking at the material.

And you have yet to refer to my other points. Unless your argument is that the only defining aspect of Conservatism is its inherent rejection of critical thinking. In which case, well that's very sad for Conservatism.

MisterHero

He goes against Dan's orders to leave him behind.

The writing even laughs at the thought of him never answering orders to the point of him mooning LBJ (because he wanted to see the wound!).

That doesn't make it anti-intelectual. That's an incredibly simplistic way of looking at the material.

And you have yet to refer to my other points. Unless your argument is that the only defining aspect of Conservatism is its inherent rejection of critical thinking. In which case, well that's very sad for Conservatism.

What other points? Let me summarize your rebuttals in this thread:

1. Disagreement, followed by...
2. Generalized statement pertaining to reasoning
3. Generalized statement directed at my credibility.

You've made no effort to use specific examples from the actual film to prove a point to the contrary.

You've also ignored all my rebuttals to your points so I'll exercise the same courtesy to you.

Matt

You've made no effort to use specific examples from the actual film to prove a point to the contrary.

lol, alright, whatever you say.

MutFox

Banned
Bomba, you seem to be reaching pretty hard...

People already told you of many scene's that discredit what you have said,
but you've chosen to ignore them.

Let it go, it's ok to be wrong.

Speevy

Banned
I really don't think the writers of this film intended all the deeper meanings being discussed here.

This is like people reading Beatles lyrics.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I fucking hate Jenny. One of the most despicable characters in any film imho.

Forrest was never good enough until she was on the verge of death. Fuck you Jenny.

Matt

I fucking hate Jenny. One of the most despicable characters in any film imho.

Forrest was never good enough until she was on the verge of death. Fuck you Jenny.

I tend to think people judge her too harshly. Certainly she didn't treat Forrest all that well, but at the same time she couldn't make him stop loving her. If she could have she would have.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I tend to think people judge her too harshly. Certainly she didn't treat Forrest all that well, but at the same time she couldn't make him stop loving her. If she could have she would have.

She used him from the very moment she let him sit next to her on that bus. She took his dedication for granted. Period.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

You've also ignored all my rebuttals to your points so I'll exercise the same courtesy to you.

Let me summarize your rebuttal in this thread:

1. Ignore all significant points made countering my argument, and act as if they don't exist when further pressed.

As for the Oscar-debate, I don't necessarily think I have the most level-headed opinion on Forest Gump because it brings back so many childhood memories and has so many previous feelings tied to it that it any fault I could have with the movie is overshadowed by my overwhelmingly positive stigma tied to the film. However, I can speak for both Shawshank Redemption and Pulp Fiction becuase only recently did I watch each of these movies and therefore my head is not clouding with previous strong feelings from my childhood tied to each movie. Getting straight to the point; Pulp Ficition is a good film, but shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Shawkshank Redemption.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Let me summarize your rebuttal in this thread:

1. Ignore all significant points made countering my argument, and act as if they don't exist when further pressed.

As for the Oscar-debate, I don't necessarily think I have the most level-headed opinion on Forest Gump because it brings back so many childhood memories and has so many previous feelings tied to it that it any fault I could have with the movie is overshadowed by my overwhelmingly positive stigma tied to the film. However, I can speak for both Shawshank Redemption and Pulp Fiction becuase only recently did I watch each of these movies and therefore my head is not clouding with previous strong feelings from my childhood tied to each movie. Getting straight to the point; Pulp Ficition is a good film, but shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Shawkshank Redemption.

Speech impediment = Oscar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom