• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Forrest Gump. Jenny. Her?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterHero

The argument is basically: The message of the movie is to do everything you're told and things will be good.
That was the entire point of Forrest's character. He doesn't have internal politics on the moments he's living through, and it's for the viewer to have their own feelings on the events.

The movie goes through history but doesn't actually have commentary on those events.

The John Lennon part is one of the times this is underlined: some things happen without a good reason.

Qazaq

Banned
The kid actress was as cute as a button, and then they ruined the character by casting Robin Wright as the adult version.

I think Robin Wright was perfect as Jenny. There's something about either Robin Wright or her portrayal where you can feel a vulnerability just lurking behind everything she does. It's absolutely pitch perfect for the story.

WillyFive

Forrest didn't deserve someone as bad as Jenny.

But love is blind, and Forrest is Gump.

Also, it's crazy how people can't decide if this movie is liberal or conservative. I don't think it's either of them, it's just the 60's.

watershed

Banned
I love this movie, one of my favorites. I always thought Forrest Junior isn't really Forrest's kid but Jenny lied because she knew she was gonna die and she wanted her son to have a good life. She knew Forrest was rich at that point and could provide for the kid but maybe I'm wrong with the head tilt thing.

Ostinatto

lieutenant dan !!!

forrest-gump-and-lt-dan-taylor.jpg

awesome movie

I just realized this is free on Amazon Prime.

Eh, why the fuck not? I don't particularly like it, but I haven't watched it in ages.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
It's really hard for me to judge Jenny too harshly considering she's had an absolutely horrible childhood. I don't think that excuses a persons actions or anything, but it at least makes me a little more empathetic when they do something wrong.

People who have backgrounds like that are pretty much set up for disaster really.

And man, you really gotta love the internet. Only on the web can you find a forum full of people who love Speed Racer and absolutely loath Forrest Gump.

Mariolee

It's really hard for me to judge Jenny too harshly considering she's had an absolutely horrible childhood. I don't think that excuses a persons actions or anything, but it at least makes me a little more empathetic when they do something wrong.

People who have backgrounds like that are pretty much set up for disaster really.

And man, you really gotta love the internet. Only on the web can you find a forum full of people who love Speed Racer and absolutely loath Forrest Gump.

Can't help but feel this is a less than solid attempt at being edgy. 6/10

still laughing at this.

Still laughing at the people who don't think it preaches conservative values.

I'm trying to think of any scene in this movie that conveys any political message whatsoever and I'm drawing a blank, care to explain?

Let me spell it out for you, in very simple English:

Forrest and Jenny both come from broken homes, both suffer disabilities as children.

One chooses to obey all the rules, follow orders his entire life and to live "within the system". The other chooses to rebel against society, becomes a hippie, a drug addict and dies from AIDS.

Lt. Dan becomes a millionaire and even regains his legs when finds peace with the All Mighty.

Moral of the story: If you live your life the "right way", don't challenge authority you can overcome all obstacles regardless how big they are, especially if you believe in the All Mighty.

BigDug13

The world loves this movie. Online movie nerds don't though for whatever reason

A lot of people hate on it because it won an Oscar over Pulp Fiction that year. Truth be told, Pulp Fiction would have won in many other years and it was just bad timing. I thought and still think both movies are wonderful in their own ways.

jagowar

The jenny character was made by her being as messed up as she was..... it really made forrest who he was too.

Love the movie.... absolutely deserved to win over shawshank and pulp.

I read the book before the movie ever came out. I like the book better.

Sequel was great too, I need to read those books again sometime. Probably two of the funniest books i've ever read. I like the movie well enough but the books are on a whole other level. So much more entertaining

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
I can't help but feel a lot of the haters are looking way too deep into this movie. Looking to connect dots that really don't need to be connected.

I'm a liberal agnostic and I love this movie for what it is. I've watched it dozens of times and I've never felt like my ideologies and values were being threatened or undermined.

The haters talk about this movie like it's the boogeyman or some shit. Not every movie is out to get you...

BigDug13

I can't help but feel a lot of the haters are looking way too deep into this movie. Looking to connect dots that really don't need to be connected.

I'm a liberal agnostic and I love this movie for what it is. I've watched it dozens of times and I've never felt like my ideologies and values were being threatened or undermined.

The haters talk about this movie like it's the boogeyman or some shit. Not every movie is out to get you...

It is a shame when people automatically look for contradictions to their ideological viewpoint when determining whether or not you like something. My dad used to love The West Wing, but as he got older and became more conservative, he told me he didn't like that show anymore because it was too liberal.

Can't you just enjoy good drama for what it is without bouncing it off your own agenda to see if it passes your "ideology filter"?

Equally there are those who choose to stick their head in the sand and refuse to believe it sends any political message, much less one that is drenched with condescending undertones.

Matt

Still laughing at the people who don't think it preaches conservative values.

Let me spell it out for you, in very simple English:

Forrest and Jenny both come from broken homes, both suffer disabilities as children.

One chooses to obey all the rules, follow orders his entire life and to live "within the system". The other chooses to rebel against society, becomes a hippie, a drug addict and dies from AIDS.

Lt. Dan becomes a millionaire and even regains his legs when finds peace with the All Mighty.

Moral of the story: If you live your life the "right way", don't challenge authority you can overcome all obstacles regardless how big they are, especially if you believe in the All Mighty.
What? Forest came from a very loving home with a mother that was willing to do ANYTHING for him. Jenny was sexually abused.

Just because Forest's Dad wasn't around dosen't mean his home was "broken."

And what disability did Jenny suffer from?

aren't you kind of glossing over the fact that Lt. Dan
gets his legs blown off following orders and later fucking dies? also the only reason Lt. Dan survived that was because Gump disobeyed his orders to leave him

yeah this line of thinking is bullshit

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
One of the tragic things about this story iis how this woman treats Forrest throughout their adult life. Granted, she has had her run of abusive men in her life but she always acknowledged Forrest was different in how he treated her. Despite this, she consistently ignores him. And when she does come back to him in Alabama, she walks out on him again as he sleeps without even saying goodbye - this is the morning after they made love.

The first and only time she actually writes to him, it is to tell him (a) she is dying so as she has nothing left, she'd rather die the wife of a good man, so how about we marry now that I have nothing to life for (b) and oh btw, here's your child I've been hiding from you for several years.

Poor Forrest didn't see it this way, and so he married her and took care of her till her dying day. But the real love story in this film was between him and Lt Dan Taylor; he seems to show more affection and loyalty for Forrest than Jenny does in all her scenes combined.

What was your impression of the Jenny character?

She was like that for the same reason girls love assholes. Forest was a "friend" and an "emotional sponge" or more accurately an anti-depressant she would use when she was down. She also never tells him that her child probably has aids. edit: and yeah probably not even his son.

But basically the story is a metaphor about "don't worry, be happy", and more specifically "people are happier being dumb".

So to him Jenny is the love of his life even though she treated him like crap, because he is dumb, but he is happy.

BigDug13

What? Forest came from a very loving home with a mother that was willing to do ANYTHING for him. Jenny was sexually abused.

"Broken home" is generally used when anyone is raised by 1 parent instead of 2. That's just the phrase, it doesn't imply that Forest is himself "broken" like Jenny was. Just "home" being father and mother and "broken home" being one of those parties missing.

weepy

The book is much better than the movie. 100x funnier, Forrest does a bunch of awesome shit (ex. becomes an astronaut, lives on an island with cannibals, makes friends with an orangutan, becomes a champion wrestler/chess player and stars in a science fiction movie, etc.) and there's no depressing stuff that just makes you feel sad

God no. The book was mean-spirited and book Forrest was an asshole. Plus that stupid cannibal sub-plot was terrible.

In the 1950's, single parent homes were stigmatized. It's clear Forrest lacked a father figure.

Jenny's disability was that she was victim of child abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom