• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Grand Theft Auto IV, an appreciation thread.

So over the last 36 hours I've put an ungodly 20 hours in to GTA IV again. It's been three years since I last went through the story on consoles, so it was the perfect time for me to revisit the main chunk of the game on PC, rather than just mess around as I did when I went back to it on consoles.

It seems like GTA IV is a real love/hate game here on GAF. Many people dislike the more serious tone, missing the days of jetpacks and tank rampages, whereas others were put off by the hyperbolic reviews claiming the narrative was "Oscar worthy" etc etc.

Regardless, I've always personally considered it the peak of the series, and in many ways the pinnacle of modern gaming. I didn't intend to lose the last two days of my life to this game all over again, but it pulled me in and I found myself looking at the clock and wondering where the last six hours went. Very few games have that impact on me, and I hope this thread allows me to articulate what I love so much about it, and I encourage you to do the same!

As I've said already, I played the PC version on max settings (yes, even draw distance, Stallion, if 94 is good enough for you :D) and my framerate was somewhere between 25 and 40 at all times. I was used to the framerate from consoles so it didn't bother me too much, and the huge visual improvement was well worth the sacrifice. If you can play this game on PC I implore you to do so, because it really is a different beast. All of the pictures in this thread are downsampled to 720p for the sake of making it easy to read, but I played it at 2048x1152 and it was one of the most "immersive" experiences I've had.

Liberty City 2.0

1rg5c.jpg

2jgyp.jpg

6hewc.jpg

15qm7k.jpg

It's impossible to talk about this game without first mentioning the city itself. GTA 3 almost created the cliche of "living, breathing city" but in this game it's almost completely realised for the first time. I've never played a game that feels so dynamic, so unique and so full of character just because of the setting. It's a game where I love to just walk down the street and see what happens. It ranges from common things like a police officer chasing a criminal, to people doing yoga in the park, a phone ringing and somebody answering it and having a whole conversation next to you, etc etc. There must have been thousands and thousands of lines recorded for the NPCs and the way in which they interact with each other and you (I stopped by a woman with a camera on the pier, for example, and she quipped "what, do you want to borrow this to take a picture?") is ridiculous.

Of course, the city being populated with these people alone isn't the only strong aspect, as the design and architecture are both varied and give atmosphere to each area. I'm not familiar with the New York locations that the games are based on, and how much of it is copied exactly, but the way in which a suburb can naturally lead in to an industrial or urban area is exactly how you'd expect a real city to work. There's no magic line that you cross to enter a new territory, the pretty houses slowly start to look less impressive until they're drug shacks, or the bright lights of Times Square fade away as you wander through the back alleys where grafitti and trash are sprawled all over the place.

Because of these elements, I don't agree with the criticisms that it's too small, or not full of content. To me the size feels just right, it takes a good few minutes to go from one side to the other, but it's just enough that it gives the illusion of being a full city without getting tedious or annoying. Likewise, I don't see the need for more interior locations when there's so much happening out on the streets. Going inside means people sitting down or doing boring activities, and I'd much rather stand on the sidewalk and see more random interactions than any of that. The only interiors I've ever used in the game are safe houses and gun shops, both of which are pretty much required. I've no interest in going to bowling alleys or comedy clubs.

Euphoria and core gameplay mechanics

3naiv.jpg

5m9l1.jpg

21fb96.jpg

180ytz.jpg

To compliment this environment is a brand new engine and revamped gameplay mechanics that actually make it fun to play. Now, of course, we've all spent hundreds of hours probably in previous GTA games having a blast, but can you honestly say it was a joy to play? Controls were clunky, animation was choppy and anything combat related was an utter headache.

This time around firefights are absolute blast. Although the cover and lock-on functions could be improved, it's still extremely easy to run from one pillar to the next, headshotting anyone who stands in your way. While it's nice to have this control over your character, it's the smaller details that add to it. The ragdoll physics are a constant source of laughs and unique moments, for starters. During one shoot-out I got a beautiful headshot on a guy on a balcony, who fell down to his death below, knocking off another enemy on his way down. It doesn't even have to be as eventful as that, though, as the way the bodies go limp and collapse when you get that perfect headshot, or drag themselves along when you put a clip in their kneecaps are always satisfying.

These new physics also greatly improve the driving. A common complaint is that the more realistic driving isn't fun, but I honestly can't fathom why someone would feel like this. It's not as if you can't do crazy shit - I've done more big jumps and skidded around more corners than in any of the past GTA games - and it makes the driving feel a lot more rewarding. In a chase it's great to nail the feathering of the brakes perfectly, or weave through traffic on the busy bridges with your back end starting to fight back against the way in which you're steering. I'd go so far as to say that the driving mechanics are better in this game than a lot of racing games I've played over the years.

My favourite thing about driving in this game is the way in which damage impacts your car. Hit a pole dead on? A huge dent appears exactly where you hit it, indicating how much force was behind the impact. Get crushed up against a wall? Your wheel arches crush and jam the wheels, practically leaving your car useless. It's not a simple case of driving around until you see fire like it was in past GTA games, because your car can be wrecked in so many other ways without a single puff of smoke leaving the engine.

Finally, the wanted mechanic makes the cops a force that I actually do try to outsmart. Whereas it was previously a dash to the pay n spray or the nearest "get out of jail free" power-up which I've forgotten the name of, in this game you are shown the force after you and the lengths you'll have to outwit them to escape. Whether this leads to a quick sprint out of the circle, or a mad dash around every back alley you can find, it makes the police seem like a much more natural threat that doesn't have a cystal ball and will follow you to the ends of the Earth. The spawning of the officers also seems pretty damn fair - they'll pop up near you, but if you're good you can avoid their path and continue on your escape.

Missions

9oatb.jpg

113ln4.jpg

22tyti.jpg

23hlme.jpg

I feel that Rockstar did a really good job of creating exciting and unique missions, which were both action and character focused, whilst also eliminating many, but not all, of the frustrating elements that used to plague the franchise.

My biggest annoyance with the previous games used to occur in chase sequences, when the random nature of any open world game could lead to instant failure. To some degree this is very good in an open world game, don't get me wrong, and I don't want complete linearity in the franchise, however I feel the windows for catching up with the cars is greatly increased in this game which allows the adrenaline to continue to flow, rather than forcing you to redo a chase where you know each turn in advance and it becomes dull. Admittedly, sometimes you can actually see the AI slow down on the radar, so it's not quite perfected, but I didn't see "You let x get away" in the entire game and for that I'm thankful.

Also, because of the improved gunplay mechanics, they really went all-out with the action orientated missions. Three Leaf Clover is the closest thing I'll ever get to being next to Robert De Niro in Heat, and some of the later missions that require you to infiltrate a building and work your way through are incredibly tense. AI support is few and far between in the game overall, but when you are fighting alongside an ally they're more often than not a great help, rather than hinderance. The fight in the oil refinery with Packie for the diamonds is the perfect example of this as we both ran through the structure shooting everyone we saw. It felt like actual teamwork, rather than me trying to cover him to make sure he doesn't make me fail.

Now, admittedly, GTA IV does have one pretty big annoyance and that's the lack of checkpoints, This is, of course, fixed in the Episodes, however that doesn't take away the annoyance of being ten minutes in to a mission, walking through a door, having a bloke with a shotgun whom was impossible to see before walking through fill your full of lead, and have to do it all over again. The new dialogue they recorded for repeat attempts was nice, as was the instant retry option via the cell phone, but overall it was clearly not the best way to handle it and I'm glad they realised that for the DLC.

Tone and narrative

4fm4u.jpg

8im6w.jpg

17xm58.jpg

19pmiv.jpg

Confession time: I really disliked San Andreas. I appreciated the scope of the game, but I didn't enjoy it. There are many reasons for this, which I won't go in to as I don't want to turn this into an anti-SA thread, but the main one was the ridiculous level of situations. Jetpacks, Area 51, etc etc. Vice City (and The Ballad of Gay Tony, later on) were just campy enough for me, but SA went too far.

This is part of the reason why I love that GTA IV went back to basics. Yes, characters like Brucie keep the humour and light heartedness, and of course the writing is as tongue-in-cheek and satirical as ever, but overall the game has a grounded and realistic tone that appeals to me. Afterall, after crafting such a realistic city and engine, it seems silly not to take advantage of that and make a real crime epic.

"Epic" is a two way street in regards to this game, though. It's undoubtedly ambitious, however in a quest to be "epic" it's also a couple of hours too long. The first act starts strongly - Niko and Roman are both sympathetic characters who you want to see succeed, and Niko's mysterious past is an interesting story arc. The way in which they are struggling to merely survive and are constantly thrown in with these scumbags of the city allows you to get behind them completely. However, as the narrative goes on all of this is lost - once Roman's life is literally burnt to the ground and we move on to new areas, Niko gets tangled up with the mob and it starts to feel a bit aimless. That's not to say it's not entertaining, as the characters and missions are strong enough that you're always having fun, however in the third act when the focus returns to Roman and Niko's struggles it's hard to care any more. By this point Niko is literally a mercenary, killing anyone that he's instructed to without question pretty much, and Roman has been pushed to the sidelines. Stretched is the only word I can think of that applies here, and although the game would be a lot shorter and lack some great missions, I can't help but feel overall it would be better if a lot of the mafia content was cut.

The ending, however, is really strong if you choose "money" over "revenge" as I did this time (merely for variety, as I wanted to see how it differs). Roman's death is genuinely touching, with Niko's regret and anger highlighting how good of a voice actor he has, and the final showdown beneath the Statue of Liberty is incredibly bittersweet. I can't remember the small details of how the other scenario played out on my first playthrough, but the fact I can't remember tells me it didn't leave as much of an impact as this.

Thankfully, my main issue with the slow middle section is once again fixed in the Episodes, as they are much shorter and focused.

24gmmx.jpg

I'm not sure how many people will actually read this, but it's 3:30am here so I should stop regardless. :lol There are a million more points I could make, but I think you get the idea.

I do feel that nearly all of the weaknesses in GTA IV are resolved in the Episodes, which I will start re-playing tomorrow, so I'll probably update this thread with my views on them in a day or two, also.

TL;DR: The core game, The Lost and the Damned and The Ballad of Gay Tony makes GTA IV one of the greatest gaming experiences ever made. If not the best.

It’s an amazing game! Liberty City is the greatest achievement so far this gen by far!

The gameplay can be quite infuriating, but the game still gets far too much hate here.

eh...

The missions were too repetitive and linear for me to enjoy. It had great moments but as a whole was not great.

I plan on doing the same thing as soon as the 30+ gigs of GTAIV + Episodes finish downloading from Steam. I haven't picked it up since I finished Ballad on 360 at launch, and I'm more than ready to lose another several hours to that experience.

Without a doubt the game of this generation. The lengths forum goers go to downplay its importance and its ludicrous achievements is pretty comical.

I loved the more serious tone also. GTA 4 is by far my favorite of the GTA games for its more serious story and gameworld among other reasons. Another big thing for me is the improved traffic AI that isnt designed to interfere with you and you alone. I cant go back to the old GTA games just due to the pathetic traffic AI.

What I dont understand is people complaining about the more serious tone. If you want fart jokes and humor designed for 12 year olds there is always the Saints Row franchise to fall back on. You have choices. People who wanted the series to be more serious dont.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I sometimes wish I could see what the fuss was about (because I'm in love with RDR so far - completely infatuated, hearts aflutter), but it still has SecuROM on Steam so *shrug*.

Kayhan said:
Found these in the Screen Shot thread
I wish I could've used ENB. :(

I <3 Memes said:
I loved the more serious tone also. GTA 4 is by far my favorite of the GTA games for its more serious story and gameworld among other reasons. Another big thing for me is the improved traffic AI that isnt designed to interfere with you and you alone. I cant go back to the old GTA games just due to the pathetic traffic AI.

What I dont understand is people complaining about the more serious tone. If you want fart jokes and humor designed for 12 year olds there is always the Saints Row franchise to fall back on. You have choices. People who wanted the series to be more serious dont.
Exactly. Just Cause 2 scratches that itch for crazy shit, I have no desire for it in my GTA, beyond what The Ballad of Gay Tony had.

city was a nice detailed place to do nothing in.

It needed more fun stuff to do.

:lol @ people playing gta for "the story"

Lyphen said:
I sometimes wish I could see what the fuss was about (because I'm in love with RDR so far - completely infatuated, hearts aflutter), but it still has SecuROM on Steam so *shrug*.

RDR is much better than GTA4, it even managed to have stuff to do, without toilet humor.

I did appreciate what was attempted with IV. I love the city itself, how dense it is. I like how they made Niko a realistic person, I like the attempt for a much more serious narrative, the physics, but there were a few things that really dragged the experience down for me.

The thing that bugged me the most was the moral dissonance. Niko's personality seems hypocritical. He wants to leave all this shit behind, but he mows down dozens of cops and continues bitching about how poor and shit he is after robbing a bank of a quarter million dollars. Maybe this is down to strange mission design more than anything.

I also disliked the constant cell phone calls and constant distractions. I like that they put so much in, but it's all thrown in your face and annoying. Also, controlling Niko is sometimes a pain.

ZombieSupaStar said:
city was a nice detailed place to do nothing in.

It needed more fun stuff to do.
There's plenty to do. A million different rampages to go on, pieces of terrain to use in a weird ways with vehicles for stunts etc, so many unique places to explore...

I don't really understand how people can't find things to do. On consoles I think my playtime is over 100 hours, and about 25 of that was the main story...

Also...can I just say that Free Mode is really, really awesome! The game is worth it just for that alone!

Forget the missions and just have fun in Free Mode! I’ve put in well over 150 hours into that alone! :D

Jin34

I have it on PC but barely play it because it's so difficult to get through the mind numbingly boring beginning of the game, it doesn't help that the gameplay mechanics are still so pathetic. On the missing when some guys come beat up your cousin and you have to beat the guys using hand to hand combat and I was shocked at how bad it controlled. I would like to see what's supposed to be so good about this game but it's just so terrible for me.

Lard

Banned
The copy I had of GTA IV got broken in my move to my new apartment 2&1/2 years ago and I never replaced it...until Boxing Day, when I got the Complete Edition.

Got back to my apartment today and sure enough it was waiting for me in my mailbox. :D

I'm actually looking forward to putting some time into this.

1-D_FTW

I defend the game at regular intervals. Fantastic looking game on PC when you can crank the settings up. Plus I thought the cop mechanics were the best in the series. The driving, cops, and mayhem = a ton of fun for me.

Jin34 said:
I have it on PC but barely play it because it's so difficult to get through the mind numbingly boring beginning of the game, it doesn't help that the gameplay mechanics are still so pathetic. On the missing when some guys come beat up your cousin and you have to beat the guys using hand to hand combat and I was shocked at how bad it controlled. I would like to see what's supposed to be so good about this game but it's just so terrible for me.

The story and missions are mostly bogus imo, but the atmosphere and the city itself is so well realized that I had a blast just tooling around and taking it all in.

Kayhan

Look at those fucking textures! No wonder it eats VRAM for breakfast....

I really liked the more mature storytelling and atmosphere in GTA IV. I did really miss the larger scope and rural areas from San Andreas.

And I thught the soundtrack was much weaker than SA and Vice City.

1-D_FTW

Kayhan said:
Look at those fucking textures! No wonder it eats VRAM for breakfast....

I really liked the more mature storytelling and atmosphere in GTA IV. I did really miss the larger scope and rural areas from San Andreas.

And I thught the soundtrack was much weaker than SA and Vice City.

You should see the lighting on max at night. That takes a ton of VRAM, but it's magnificent at night when a helicopter is using his searchlight to locate you in the dark. Docks. Night. Helicopter. Wow!

OchreHand

I've been waiting for a thread like this.

GTA IV is one of those games I still occasionally load up, turn on Free Mode and mess around in the city. The game is a wonderful and bewildering time sink. Truth be told, RDR is my GOTY of 2010 and does a better job with controls and even visually, but I've revisited Liberty City more often than RDR.

Also, I live in Manhattan and I have to say, they did an impressive job capturing the general vibe of the city (although I was disappointed when I found out my apartment building didn't make the cut :D) But as mentioned, one of the best details of Liberty City is the gradual architectural changes that happen when you travel through different boroughs. That blew me away.

dejan

Played this game for the first time about 8 months ago on the pc and enjoyed it a lot. But story missions that demanded from me to pilot a helicopter were the most infuriating gameplay moments in the last probably couple of years. Add in the lack of any kind of checkpoint system and chances are you'll find yourself throwing a gamepad across the living room.

x3sphere

1-D_FTW said:
You should see the lighting on max at night. That takes a ton of VRAM, but it's magnificent at night when a helicopter is using his searchlight to locate you in the dark. Docks. Night. Helicopter. Wow!

Yeah, the night visuals in this game are amazing. Some screens I've took:

6e1d936831296656f25902b88e2f9dd325657275.jpg

95ad45b2189ab613d276310bcc6809d2da9438a7.jpg

a4c6fc20c0947d4f606cd2c1d47f1b5f11274de6.jpg

Incredible game. I've played the core title three times since its release, and the episodes are arguably the greatest add-ons for a retail game yet.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
As soon as i saw your avatar i knew you were going to talk about playing it on max settings.

I played some of GTA IV when it first came out on ps3. I didn't play too much of it, but i wasn't impressed with what i played. During this past steam sale i reluctantly picked up the GTA IV complete pack for 10 dollars thinking, "Well, its 10 bucks, and i've heard good things about the expansions so i'll check it out." And i think i read it has native gamepad support so i can play with the 360 controller. I plan on playing through it and hope i can appreciate it as much as you did.

I was disappointed with the main campaign but Gay Tony is an absolute blast. Yet to play the other add on, I'm going to wait until I upgrade my CPU.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks a lot, I'm going to go re-purchase this game. YAY!

TTG

I know the backlash was huge, so huge that Bioshock feels bad for it, but I think it's one of the best games of this generation. The OP is awesome so I'm not going to spend too much time relaying my thoughts on the game. But a couple of points:

1. It's well worth it to slow down and take a look around. I've fallen into this pace on a couple of occasions and I know other people must have as well. At some point, you're just going directly from mission to mission. GTAIV's city has an incredible personality and atmosphere, both can fade away quickly if what you do between missions is just trying to find the fastest route to the next thing. The player isn't so much at fault here and Red Dead has gone A LONG way to fix this effect, but it is what it is. There is no way to interact with a lot of the city, only drive through it, but it is wonderful.

2. I know a lot of people didn't get all the way through it(although what I'm talking about isn't at the end). The story is inconsistent, something all Rockstar games struggle with. It's hard to combine a great story(which they've had in both GTAIV and RDR) with an incredibly long game. And so, Manny from the Streets and idiots in Mexico(in case of RDR) and any other number of things are annoying and erode the other characters. BUT! It's no spoiler that Nico is looking for someone. Let me just say that when he finds him... that is a scene that will stay with me for a long time. It does not get much better than that and the fact that you have control over the situation makes it all that much better. Having choices or morality gauges in games has been popular, nothing comes close to that segment, it makes everything else look amateur. It's masterful and stands on its own in any arena, not just videogames.

Anyway, great OP. I can't wait for the next GTA.

Horns

Haters can hate, but GTA IV is the best open world game of this generation. I've played through it about 4 times and a couple of times for each of the DLCs. It just sucks me in every time I start it.

The game has so much content it is sick. The side missions, pigeons, jumps, police, ambulance and friends provided more content then most other games. Just finished up Mafia 2 (great game), but there was nothing outside the main game. Not sure anyone could really say the game didn't have a lot to do.

There are a couple of theories I have about why GTA IV doesn't get the respect it deserved from gamers. I think it gets a lot of hate because it is more difficult then previous GTAs. IV didn't have mid mission saves so dying means starting over from scratch, the DLC at least fixed this. I also think that the handling in the vehicles turned many off. Previous GTA's had cars that stopped on a dime from full speed and were much more difficult to flip over, so the new vehicles were a bit of a challenge compared to the past. Another barrier is the hype people placed on the game. San Andreas wasn't a game that just came out, it only came about from the previous 7 or 8 years the team had invested into the engine and it's improvements. People just placed insane expectations that a new GTA could match the content of San Andreas in the development time of a normal game. It just realistically couldn't come out with a map that large, that many vehicles and so much content to match SA. IV was on pace with GTA III because it was the first entry in their generations, we'll see amazing stuff with the next GTA.

Papa

Banned
As much as I wanted to enjoy the game, I couldn't get past the god awful driving mechanics. Realistic my ass, it's like driving a tank on ice. It's a real shame too because Vice City is one of my favourite games ever.

Brinbe

Great job, OP, first of all. Might not agree with all of your points, especially on SA, but you reminded me a lot of what I liked about the game.

One thing I definitely didn't like too much though, was the city. And for open-world games, that's pretty much the most important part, personally. More than the story, sound, etc. Don't get me wrong though, I appreciate a lot of what they did with LC in terms of mood/atmosphere. It was incredible at the time and looking at those shots in this thread says it all.

However, in the end, especially in the vanilla game, it ultimately became a soulless, boring place to meander around in. And that was really unacceptable. I'm not even saying it needed to reach a Saints Row 2 level of silliness, but there were definitely many things from previous games (in terms of properties/side activities/scope/variety) that I just really missed.

Thankfully, TBOGT fixed a lot of what I disliked, and I sincerely hope they take what they learned from that success (and RDR) and bring it over to their next GTA title.

PBY

Banned
One of my most hated games ever; I'll maybe try out the expansions which I've heard are better, but the main game bored, annoyed, and frustrated the hell out of me. I gave it away it was so terrible

Ratrat

peterb0y said:
One of my most hated games ever; I'll maybe try out the expansions which I've heard are better, but the main game bored, annoyed, and frustrated the hell out of me. I gave it away it was so terrible
This, its the worst game I've played on the PS3 so far. Makes RDR look incredible. But I'm going to try to force myself to finish it in order to hopefully, enjoy the superior episodes afterward.

Helmholtz

I finished the game around when it came out. While I don't think it was deserving of all the 10/10s and such, I don't think it's a terrible game. I enjoyed what I played a fair amount, if I didn't I wouldn't have finished it. The highlight of the game is definitely the city itself, and unlike a lot of people I enjoyed the story for what it was. My biggest complaint was the combat, you can essentially use auto-aim 90% of the time and just mow everyone down.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Easily my favorite GTA game. I had a lot of fun with it. The Episodes are great as well.

I tried really really hard to love GTA4. And while it's a very easy game to like, I can't find a way to love it. On PS3 it just plays too poorly. The low framerate, the screen tearing, the terrible on-foot controls, and the online is just worthless on PS3. I would still buy GTA5 in a heartbeat, but I hope if it does come out it's with a much better optimized engine.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I posted my thoughts on the episodes in this thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=402572

Long story short, I have a new found appreciation for GTAIV following those two episodes, particularly after The Ballad of Gay Tony, but almost on more of a study level than an actual game level. It's really fascinating to pick my way through it and work out why certain people hate, why some love it, why it reviewed so highly, what parts work/don't work with me, examine the sheer tip of on the scales of gameplay and story in regard to what attracts everyone else and myself toward the game and how R* North may have learnt some interesting lessons or taken some interesting pathways in the proceeding episodes.

I guess it's almost a curiosity to me. I've never really been a huge GTA guy, but the importance the community puts on these games makes them really worthwhile, so it's almost a self-fulfilling prophecy at this point, in that regard.

Post Gay Tony and Red Dead, I feel like the game systems R* have would be so much better suited to multiple short(er) stories in the worlds they create. I took away many things from playing these games, but as far as a "in a sentence" fix is concerned, making the damn things shorter and more focused, and making up the perceived length by adding more than one story per game, seems like the smart decision here.

We'll see.

gdt

Easily the best GTA game (lets just bunch in the episodes with GTAIV), aside from RDR.

Fixes most all of the problems I had with the GTAIII games. Loved it.

Edit: Just about my favorite driving ever. Hell of a learning curve, but once you have it, FUCK YES.

devilhawk said:
It actually doesn't get enough hate. The game was honestly not fun and ultimately that matters most.

You definition of fun must be skewed then. GTAIV is the most immersive open world game I ever played outside Rockstar other big open world game (RDR). Game deserves all those perfect scores it got across the board.

devilhawk

See You Next Wednesday said:
You definition of fun must be skewed then. GTAIV is the most immersive open world game I ever played outside Rockstar other big open world game (RDR). Game deserves all those perfect scores it got across the board.
Clearly immersion equals fun. The most immersive prison sim ever created would surely be as fun.

The core GTAIV must be judged on its own when reflecting upon its review scores.

I cosign this thread.

GTA4 is superior to any other GTA game in numerous ways.

I've played it more than any other title this generation. It is the only GTA game I ever bothered to actually finish. (always sank dozens of hours into them though).

Azuran

Banned
GTA IV is one my favorite game this gen. I put over 300 hours into that game (and that's not counting the DLC episodes). I just had a lot of fun playing that game. I found the driving to be fun and realistic without getting too complex. Going at full speed in a street full of car is awesome fun.

I swear there's so much to do. One of my favorite moments was exploring the subway system with a friend online. Stuff like that is fun to do.

Top Bottom