• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. (1990)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HE WANTS SOME FOOD

BRING SOME FOOD!

TMNT_RAPHAEL+BATHTUB+MOVIE+1.jpg

NYHorn36

Saw this in the theaters the day it came out when I was 9. Loved it. Jammed out to the soundtrack on my sweet yellow Walkman Sports.

Shredder was so awesome I always wanted him to win. The scene where he walks in the warehouse with the drums and addresses everyone is bad ass.

http://youtu.be/HTkA6MXdV2M

That farm scene would never get made today for the simple fact audiences would get bored.
They sorta redid it in Age of Ultron. Didn't really work out too well there though...

Movie is still fairly good for what it is. Has a neat raw quality they've never attempted since. Also kinda neat that Sally Menke was one of this film's editors.

weshes195

Eh, it was good. Better than the new one that came out but... not by much. Had the same problem as I loved the turtles and the rat... but nothing else. Not the story, not the humans, even Shredder isn't that interesting to me (although way better than the newer one).

Really loved Splinter though.

Pilgrimzero

Great film. Watched it again about 2 weeks ago.

Also watched 2 and it was bad. Never seen 3 but hear it's worse.

The Bay one was watchable despite its Bayness. Hopefully the new one will be good.

Been slowly working through the classic cartoon as I got the box set (van set?). Man it takes me back.

The 2014 movie is actually alright other than a few things (too much focus on April in the beginning, Megan Fox's acting, dumb/unnecessary origin tweaks). It's not as good as this one, and doesn't have nearly as much heart, but it's definitely not a "dump" on the franchise and it's better than TMNT2 and 3 once you take the nostalgia goggles off (not a high bar I know). I'm looking forward to the second CGI and all.

TMNT sits up there with Mask of Zorro and Mask of the Phantasm as the best comic/superhero movies of all time. The Dark Knight, Winter Soldier, and Guardians of the Galaxy are next.

guek

Banned
The 2014 movie is actually alright other than a few things (too much focus on April in the beginning, Megan Fox's acting, dumb/unnecessary origin tweaks). It's not as good as this one, and doesn't have nearly as much heart, but it's definitely not a "dump" on the franchise and it's better than TMNT2 and 3 once you take the nostalgia goggles off (not a high bar I know). I'm looking forward to the second CGI and all.

If you take out every April scene, you have a pretty good TMNT movie.

Lothars

I like all of the turtles movies released including the last one with Micheal Bay directing, I thought it was okay but could have done without megan fox.

I am hoping the next one coming out will be good especially with how rocksteady and bebop looks.

The only thing that doesn't hold up as well as it should is the movement of the Turtle's faces. Everything else stands toe to toe and in some areas even surpasses a lot of modern comic movies. Elias Kostas ' s performance as Casey is too-notch, and Shredder was legitimately intimidating.

On a side note - on a recent re-watch, I was noticing just how much of the costuming and cinematography of this movie was designed to showcase Judith Hoag's legs.

ScOULaris

The single best film adaptation of a comic series still to this day. They managed to make a cohesive narrative from all the best moments from the Eastman and Laird comics with fantastic costume work, entertaining fight choreography, and some memorable performances from almost everyone in the film.

Has the best Casey Jones of any Turtles incarnation as well.

One of my favorite movies of all time, It's just a fun film beginning to end.

With minor exceptions, the costumes still look amazing. CGI can't replace practical, realistic effects like the costumes, and it shows in this film. However, it's documented that the costumes put an enormous amount of strain on the actors inside them, making the stunts and moves they do in the film even more spectacular.

There's a pretty good interview with Josh Pais, who is the actor for both Raphael's voice and actions, on "I was there Too" with Matt Gourley in which he talks about having to get use to the burden of the Turtles suit.

Joeku

Hmm, I haven't watched this in a few years. Wore out the vhs as a kid. Can anyone who has the blu-ray attest to the transfer? Crushed blacks in a movie this dark would be ruinous.

An organization that has this as a headquarters can't be all that bad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHaXbVPVQ7Y

I mean besides all the entertainment you're also getting free ninja lessons by a master. Sign me up.

That's so late 80's. Also Tatsu was a pretty good second in command to Shredder.

The pacing was so much slower compared to today's films (not a bad thing). That farm scene would never get made today for the simple fact audiences would get bored.

But.... Avengers 2....

What I love the most about this movie is the griminess of NYC at the time being captured in all its dinghy glory. Cinematography really highlights that well too, as op said, has a realistic feel to the setting which feels like an integral character to the plot as much as the turtles. The sequel is just godawful for the most part, but first one is def one I can rttp and still enjoy. Casting was sublime too. Elias Koteas is badass as Casey, love this quote of his recalling the shoot:

Ah, 1989, the summer of, 28-years-old, hair was flowing. I felt healthy, strong. Awesome hair. I don't know what happened. You just felt alive. My one attempt at being a hero, a vigilante in the park, looking for bad guys. It was fun. Especially with Jim Henson and the puppets. It was cutting-edge technology at the time. It was a magical summer in Wilmington, North Carolina. I get stopped by kids - not kids anymore; they're 25, 30 - saying, "There's Casey Jones!" There are worse things in the world. It brings a smile to my face.

Hmm, I haven't watched this in a few years. Wore out the vhs as a kid. Can anyone who has the blu-ray attest to the transfer? Crushed blacks in a movie this dark would be ruinous.

It's not great unfortunately. I have the 25th anniversary blu-ray set, which is the most current and premium set as far as I know. Video quality wise it doesn't look all that much better than the DVD set. The original in particular looks pretty grainy during the darker scenes in the film. Haven't tested 3 or TMNT in the set however.

51cDyPW2SLL.jpg

That said, it's a nice package. Came with a reprint of the original comic, some collectable cards, and a beanie. If you're just looking for the films, there's less expensive sets that come with all 4 movies for under 30. Pretty bare bones, but they're probably the same blu-rays as in the more expensive sets.

Joeku

It's not great unfortunately. I have the 25th anniversary blu-ray set, which is the most current and premium set as far as I know. Video quality wise it doesn't look all that much better than the DVD set. The original in particular looks pretty grainy during the darker scenes in the film. Haven't tested 3 or TMNT in the set however.

That said, it's a nice package. Came with a reprint of the original comic, some collectable cards, and a beanie. If you're just looking for the films, there's less expensive sets that come with all 4 movies for under 30. Pretty bare bones, but they're probably the same blu-rays as in the more expensive sets.

Bolded: That's for the best.

And thanks for the info. I'll just watch the DVD I bought a decade ago and never opened instead,

I remember going and seeing this as a 10 year old wide eyed child. I had the toys, I had the cartoons, but when I'm sitting in the theater with my dad and Ralph says "Damn" I remember letting out this audible gasp. I could not believe that Ralph said that.

I was shocked as well. I was disappointed that the Ninja Turtles cussed, but I still loved the movie. It's been a while since I've watched the first Ninja Turtles movie. I really want it on Blu-Ray, but I can't find it anywhere!

Who attended the "Coming out of their Shells" tour?

Didn't go to an actual showing, but I had the VHS of the the tour. Likewise I also had the "We Wish You A Turtle Christmas" VHS.

$_1.JPG

Both videos are nightmare fuel. Even as a child I knew they sucked.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I don't think this holds up all that well, especially the fight scenes, but I have always appreciated that it took far more from the original Mirage comics than it probably needed to. Certainly a better take on the Turtles than any other mainstream media portrayal of the time, and Shredder was legit scary, just like in the comic.

Also kinda mindblowing that Splinter is Elmo.

Don't think I've seen that. They copied Ninja Turtles?

Not remotely. There's simply a quiet section on a farm in the middle of the film.

I'm amazed they were able to get away with all the mature themes in this movie especially considering the original toon was still airing. I can only imagine how much of a shock for kids to see this film for the first time with how much it contrasted the original cartoon especially comparing the two Shredders.

The movie still holds up for me, and it's the closest the Mirage comics have ever been adapted on film.

Poona

Yeah, this is a great film.

You'd hope as things progress they'd be able to make better movies and expand on things, yet the latest Ninja Turtles film is just rubbish, they should have just put this one in the cinemas again or did a remake with slight changes. Splinter is so awesome in this, yet the new one he's just meh... not to mention he's a hairless rat (why did they remove his fur?).

The turtles are great. Casey Jones and April are awesome and relatable. Then Shredder actually has history and motivations, unlike the new film where he is just a blank canvas who is bad just because. Oh and can't forget Tatsu!

Big Nikus

What I love the most about this movie is the griminess of NYC at the time being captured in all its dinghy glory. Cinematography really highlights that well too, as op said, has a realistic feel to the setting which feels like an integral character to the plot as much as the turtles. The sequel is just godawful for the most part, but first one is def one I can rttp and still enjoy. Casting was sublime too. Elias Koteas is badass as Casey, love this quote of his recalling the shoot:
Ah, 1989, the summer of, 28-years-old, hair was flowing. I felt healthy, strong. Awesome hair. I don't know what happened. You just felt alive. My one attempt at being a hero, a vigilante in the park, looking for bad guys. It was fun. Especially with Jim Henson and the puppets. It was cutting-edge technology at the time. It was a magical summer in Wilmington, North Carolina. I get stopped by kids - not kids anymore; they're 25, 30 - saying, "There's Casey Jones!" There are worse things in the world. It brings a smile to my face.

Ha. That quote is great :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom