• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Pokemon. All 721 of them, and counting.

JoeM86

Yeah, Blastoise is the most Digimon-like Pokémon ever.

Overall the appreciation for Gen 1 would not be as high if the people who tend to complain about later Gens would look at Gen 1 with the same criticism.

I have maintained since 2010 that if Generations 1 & 5 were switched, we'd get the same complaints we do but about the Gen 1 Pokémon.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It sucks because I'm a fan of both franchises, and you get shit flinging from both sides and nostalgia fans from both ("fans" I reckon, they're fans of the 90's itself but not the product).

Agumon and Pikachu can coexist and the only way to settle the supposed difference is in Smash.

Nightbird

I have maintained since 2010 that if Generations 1 & 5 were switched, we'd get the same complaints we do but about the Gen 1 Pokémon.

Yeah, it makes the complaints look ridiculous.

I still agree that some 5th Gen Designs are bad though.

No one would be nostalgic about Stunfisk.

No one.

Don't be sure, I know a Guy who's a huge Stunfisk fan. It's his favorite Pokémon ever

Crayolan

Looks like Glaceon doesn't get a lot of appreciation around here, but I love it. It's not the best in battle, but it's super adorable:
tumblr_n7wtijXMaB1qelp5oo6_250.gif

It does still have a pretty powerful ice beam and and can sometimes save the day with mirror coat shenanagans, so it's got that going for it.

Seil

I like Glaceon's design and its shiny form even though it's a relatively minor change. But really I like all of Eevee's forms, with Vaporeon being my least favorite.

Macka

I know I'm biased here, but I honestly don't think Pokemon would have seen the same level of popularity with that set of designs. Pokemon was an international cultural phenomenon for a reason, and I really don't see it having taken off in the same way if it had launched so drastically different.

Even just comparing the designs from each of those regions (and while trying to be as objective as possible), I think the Kanto designs are more broadly appealing. I mean, the Gen V starters have their fans of course, but the Kanto trio were admittedly pretty 'safe' designs in that a fire breathing dragon, a dinosaur and a massive Turtle with cannons on its back would all be really 'cool' to kids. Compare that to the green Snake, fire-Pig and whatever the hell you'd describe Samurott as, and I just don't see them being as popular.

What is the mascot in this alternate reality? Emolga? Does Unova have a legendary that would be as popular as Mewtwo? I know Genesect pretty much ripped off Mewtwo's origin, but I really think the design of Mewtwo (and Mew) were key to their popularity.

I asked the question here a few weeks ago "what are the most popular Gen V Pokemon", and pretty much everyone had a different answer. It seems the popularity of the Pokemon is a lot more spread out when it comes to Unova designs, and I think that would have really limited its appeal back then. Compare that to the massive popularity of Pikachu, the Kanto starters, Mewtwo & Mew, Eevee, Gyarados, Gengar, Arcanine, Machamp, Dragonite, Nidoking...it was really a handful of designs that propelled Pokemon to such heights back in the day imo, and I don't think Unova has many designs with mass-appeal like that.

Firemind

Kanto was also the best region in the cartoon by far. The dynamic of Ash, Brock and Misty just works. Later on you got Tracey, who is probably the most forgettable companion ever, May and Max, who are also dull as dishwater, and Dawn, Iris and Cilan, which by then I tuned out. I know it's a children's show, but Brock is probably the most hilarious main character in the series. You needed someone like Misty to keep him in check. When Brock retired and got replaced by Tracey, it all went downhill.

Kanto was also the best region in the cartoon by far. The dynamic of Ash, Brock and Misty just works. Later on you got Tracey, who is probably the most forgettable companion ever, May and Max, who are also dull as dishwater, and Dawn, Iris and Cilan, which by then I tuned out. I know it's a children's show, but Brock is probably the most hilarious main character in the series. You needed someone like Misty to keep him in check. When Brock retired and got replaced by Tracey, it all went downhill.

can we not bring the anime into this debate, Kanto Arc is great and all but to say that the anime was at it best during the start is just wrong

Razmos

Gen V introduced a ton of great pokemon. Sigilyph, Krookodile, Galvantula, Cofagrigus, Liepard, Excadrill, Leavanny, Scolipede, Volcarona, Whimsicott, my bae Lilligant, Zoroark, Reuniclus, Ferrothorn, Eelektross, Chandelure, Accelgor, Bisharp, Meloetta and Genesect.

Looking back, Gen V was pretty awesome.

Macka

Gen V was a barren wasteland devoid of Pokemon I liked, let alone loved. I found most of the fully evolved stages of the Pokemon to be terribly unappealing, to the point where there's literally only one full evolution line that I like (Sandile/Krokorok/Krookodile), and even then they aren't favourites or anything. As usual, I'm not saying all of the Gen V designs are bad, just that they really didn't work for me.

Thankfully Kalos introduced a ton of Pokemon I found awesome again.

Firemind

Cofagrigus, Ferrothorn, Chandalure and Genesect are terrible.

can we not bring the anime into this debate, Kanto Arc is great and all but to say that the anime was at it best during the start is just wrong
It's an opinion.

I watch the show for its characters and the interaction between them. Personally I couldn't give a rat's ass about May and her contests, which was just a way to shoehorn the Gen III mechanic into the show. Others might like them. Opinions and all.

Cloyster

Banned
Cofagrigus, Ferrothorn, Chandalure and Genesect are terrible.

It's an opinion.

I watch the show for its characters and the interaction between them. Personally I couldn't give a rat's ass about May and her contests, which was just a way to shoehorn the Gen III mechanic into the show. Others might like them. Opinions and all.

Wow, you are full of bad opinons! :p

how can you not love Cofagrigus, Genesect and Chandalure?!

Yeah, gen 5 I like maybe... Galvantula, Chandelure, Gigalith, Scrafty, Archeops and umm.. yeah.

It just doesn't compare to Arcanine, Nidoking, Dragonite, Gyarados, Sandslash, Tentacruel, Lapras, Gengar, Ninetales etc etc.

Gen 6 was a return to form though.
Pangoro, Trevenant, Pyroar, Noivern, Tyrantrun, Hawlucha, Greninja, Talonflame. There just wasn't enough of them (not counting megas).

woopWOOP

Count me in the 'Gen5 added a lot of great monsters' camp.
Ofcourse generally all the gens have a lot of great monsters so I can't really be down on any of 'm :]
Patrat, Woobat, Liligant, Krookodile line, Maractus, Scraggy line, Trubbish (yeah really!), Reuniclus, Frillish, Galvantula, Litwick, Stunfisk and Druddigon are all high up there for me though.

Leafeon always had this Elvish look about it to me. Maybe it's the shape of the plant hair. Makes it look pretty nimble and weak.
Glaceon's frontal shrine maiden hair weirded me out for a long time, but I really grew to it. Might not have any extra icey things covering its body, but I like it when they keep it simple.

I'm sure you don't need me to say that I really liked the wierdos of Gen 5 again but since we're on the topic again, hell yeah I do.

VV28t.png

why do you have to evolve Krokorok?

Also has the best fossil 'mon
UBrlRJN.png

Looks like Glaceon doesn't get a lot of appreciation around here, but I love it. It's not the best in battle, but it's super adorable:

It does still have a pretty powerful ice beam and and can sometimes save the day with mirror coat shenanagans, so it's got that going for it.
The adorable factor is almost making it unseat Flareon as my favourite right this second.
Dammit GF, throw Ice types a frikin' bone will ya?!

Firemind

I'm one of those people who isn't a fan of inanimate objects used in the design of Pokémon. There are certainly good designs using inanimate objects, but for the most part I'm not a fan. You may think ghosts possessing objects is clever, but it never made sense to me that the object is its true form, even evolving with the object being altered physically. Rotom is a great concept because its form varies on the appliance it possesses, but I understand they can't incorporate this for all Ghost types.

And Genesect is a purple insect robot overlord. It's jarring in the world of Pokémon. At least Mewtwo is a genetically engineered Mew.

Salvadora

I can not wait for generation IV remake on NX

The best region in the series with some of my favourite designs post- OG.

I wish they would be more liberal with the remakes though. Not everything needs to be translated 1 to 1.

Razmos

And Genesect is a purple insect robot overlord. It's jarring in the world of Pokémon. At least Mewtwo is a genetically engineered Mew.
Genesect was a normal bug pokemon in ancient times that was revived through a fossil and had robotic parts grafted to it by humans. It's not that different to Mewtwo.

entremet

I wish they would be more liberal with the remakes though. Not everything needs to be translated 1 to 1.

One of the best soundtracks too.

The biggest issue with replaying the Gen IV games is how slow that engine is. It got better for HGSS, but the games are still very slow after playing the recent generations.

Hopefully, the next Pokemon engine on NX is even faster. The Gen VI engine is really fast for battles, but has poor performance.

GameFreak were never tech wizards.

I actually thought they were too liberal with ORAS. Parts of it barely felt like a Ruby/Sapphire remake (like Mauville for example).

FR/LG was too strict though. Restricting when a Pokemon with a newer evolution could evolve was stupid. Also in most parts of the game, the maps were tile to tile recreations.

SS/HG found a nice balance between modernizing the game, but updating it for a new gen and with updated graphics.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Eh I disagree. Brock is good, but Misty is lame. Your generic tsundere crap in anime which is dime a dozen.

And honestly, will you watch a show where half of the progression is just pitying? I honestly rewatched some of OS episodes and outside of a few, most of them are really jarring and you could tell they were really aiming for a loser Nobita was in Doraemon, and while it works in that show, it honestly fails in an exploration show like Pokemon. Granted they're both aimed for children (not shonen, something lower), but using the Nobita trope is honestly a bad move.

What, Glaceon is loved here judging by this thread :p

Genesect was a normal bug pokemon in ancient times that was revived through a fossil and had robotic parts grafted to it by humans. It's not that different to Mewtwo.

They even put him alongside MegaMewtwo Y in that movie just to see how "similar" their origins are.

brinstar

Glaceon is my favorite Eeveelution. <3

Soooo cute. I just hate how you can't evolve it until so late in a playthrough.

Cloyster

Banned
I'm one of those people who isn't a fan of inanimate objects used in the design of Pokémon. There are certainly good designs using inanimate objects, but for the most part I'm not a fan. You may think ghosts possessing objects is clever, but it never made sense to me that the object is its true form, even evolving with the object being altered physically. Rotom is a great concept because its form varies on the appliance it possesses, but I understand they can't incorporate this for all Ghost types.

So what do you think of Magnemite, Voltorb, Porygon and the like?

You'll get your Gen 1 20th anniversary remake and like it!

Even if this does happen, purists will be pissed because there's no way Game Freak isn't going to leave out the old Pokemon and Megas at this point. I'd actually prefer if they change a few things. There'd likely be a updated plot involving Mewtwo anyway.

One of the best soundtracks too.

The biggest issue with replaying the Gen IV games is how slow that engine is. It got better for HGSS, but the games are still very slow after playing the recent generations.

Hopefully, the next Pokemon engine on NX is even faster. The Gen VI engine is really fast for battles, but has poor performance.

GameFreak were never tech wizards.

The high polygon counts on the XY/ORAS models shows that they'll likely be reused for Gen VII. I wouldn't have minded a decrease in quality for Gen VI models in order to have a decent framerate tbh.

I actually thought they were too liberal with ORAS. Parts of it barely felt like a Ruby/Sapphire remake (like Mauville for example).

FR/LG was too strict though. Restricting when a Pokemon with a newer evolution could evolve was stupid. Also in most parts of the game, the maps were tile to tile recreations.

SS/HG found a nice balance between modernizing the game, but updating it for a new gen and with updated graphics.

They should have really used Emerald as a base instead of Ruby/Sapphire in the first place, like they did for HGSS which used Crystal's. The only exception would be for Rayquaza's role as there was 2 versions and the Delta Episode was fine. Too bad the director for Emerald (Morimoto) didn't return for ORAS so a lot of its elements didn't return, but who knows how much influence Masuda had anyway.

Honestly, the anime should have had Ash move on in Gen II and move over to making Gold the main character, with some random gym leaders from Gen II. Red has been the main character of the anime forever at this point, while the games moved on from Red ages ago.

And then every gen after that "reboot" the series to focus on the new generations. May should have outright been the main character of the third gen series.

Yrael

Glaceon isn't one of my favourite Eeveelutions, but I agree that it is pretty cute.

cTMa2.png

Heart Gold/Soul Silver was such a missed opportunity to fix the notorious level curve problem and pokemon selection, they should've brought Sneasal and Murkrow over to Johto for instance.

I'd weep if Gen 4 remakes not only played it safe but also ignored most of the third game additions like Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire did by tip toeing past Emerald's defining points.
Basically what I'm saying is no Platinum Dex at the minimum would be tragic, D/P regional dex is the series weakest by far.

You'll get your Gen 1 20th anniversary remake and like it!
I would unashamedly lap it up though going by Gen 6 the tone wouldn't go down too well with me.

D/P regional dex is the series weakest by far.

What's a Fire Type Pokemon?

All these new evolutions we heavily advertised? lol jk, can't get them until post game. Some we even require a GBA game for because trololo

Want to actually move to the post game? Haha, hope you didn't want to soft reset for legendaries.

entremet

Even if this does happen, purists will be pissed because there's no way Game Freak isn't going to leave out the old Pokemon and Megas at this point. I'd actually prefer if they change a few things. There'd likely be a updated plot involving Mewtwo anyway.

The high polygon counts on the XY/ORAS models shows that they'll likely be reused for Gen VII. I wouldn't have minded a decrease in quality for Gen VI models in order to have a decent framerate tbh.

They should have really used Emerald as a base instead of Ruby/Sapphire in the first place, like they did for HGSS which used Crystal's. The only exception would be for Rayquaza's role as there was 2 versions and the Delta Episode was fine. Too bad the director for Emerald (Morimoto) didn't return for ORAS so a lot of its elements didn't return, but who knows how much influence Masuda had anyway.

Well I hope with new hardware that we get better performance with higher resolutions.

At least locked 30FPS, although 60PFS would be really nice, although not totally necessary, being a turn based RPG.

Yeah I'm of the opinion that D/P are pretty mediocre, being merely saved by their innovative online features and the physical/special split invigorating the competitive scene, while Platinum is truly one of the best in the franchise. Sinnoh is a great region, but it's just too big for how slow D/P's combat and traversal is. Platinum has so many varied improvements throughout the entire game, from increased movement and battle speeds and a bigger regional dex to stronger, more thoughtful Gym leaders and slightly diminished HM usage. Platinum streamlines the whole experience while adding enough new and exciting content to make it worthwhile.

I'm going to be very sad if the remake doesn't take Platinum into consideration.

What's a Fire Type Pokemon?

All these new evolutions we heavily advertised? lol jk, can't get them until post game. Some we even require a GBA game for because trololo

Want to actually move to the post game? Haha, hope you didn't want to soft reset for legendaries.
Elite Fire types like Steelix, Lopunny and Driftblim.

I will never understand locking all the new evos and therefore half of the new pokemon behind the postgame, as for the GBA point I needed a thief using compound eyes Butterfree brought over from Fire Red just to get my blasted Electirizer for Electivire.

Are people finally coming around on this? I've been saying this for aaaages

I realised this quite early on when four of my friends with D/P all had similar teams sharing the likes of Infernape, Golduck, Crobat and maybe Luxray as well due to the incredibly slim pickings.

Platinum is exactly what it should've been in the first place.
Yet unfortunately for Plat I somehow spent a ridiculous amount of time with Pearl version (like 300 plus hours...) that by the time I beat Platinum I couldn't even muster moving onto its refined postgame content, still haven't seen it in fact.

V-Faction

1) If you're going to have Eevee in your game, you need to make all of its evolution branches immediately and readily available. One of the smartest design decisions of the original games was that as soon as you entered Celadon City and had access to Eevee you also had access to the Elemental Stones in unlimited quantities that could be bought with no hassle. This allowed people to take advantage of this highly original idea (one Pokemon evolves into many forms) right away. Nowadays, the equivalent would be putting the Evolution Rocks location right next to where you get Eevee.

2) Having a Pokemon that represents the Physical side of the type chart is an idea that needs to be implemented. Eevee has the special side covered no problem, but too much more and you'll create insane bloat. Granted, we really don't need yet more mono-types, but perhaps they could spice it up.

3) I'm glad they skipped generations for Eeveelutions. That way, it did not become predictable and stale. Already I view Glaceon, Leafeon, and Sylveon as incredibly boring, designed for designing's sake. Can you imagine having one every game? Just to hit some sort of quota? Bleh.

Top Bottom