• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Pokemon. All 721 of them, and counting.

Rutger

Banned
Finally done with the Eeveelutions huh?

I love the whole line, no major complaints about a single one. It's a really cool idea for evolutions and I'm glad it's always stayed Eevee's thing instead of adding new Pokemon that do the same thing with different types.

Personally, I like Gen II & IV's Eeveelutions a little more than Gen I & VI. Umbreon and Glaceon being my favorites. Sylveon didn't bother me much when I first saw it, then I started using one in battles, Pixilate Hyper Voice is pretty amazing.

I'm looking forward to whatever type they choose next. Many seem to want a Dragon because it was a special type before the physical-special split, but I'd probably like to see a ghost type the most.

WarAdept

Hyper Voice anything is just too cool. Love that move.

I had an entire team of Megas for my first ORAS playthough (redundant I know but it's the story, who cares). Turns out I just enjoyed making Altaria one gigantic piece of cotton candy and spamming Hyper Voice over and over again.

Firemind

Not really, no. :/ I don't think they're bad designs or anything, they just don't appeal to me. I have no interest in using them in a playthrough for example.
You should try Clefable. Unlike Blissey, it can actually Wish. And it isn't afraid of fighting types.

Dryk

Sylveon is weird, I don't dislike the design but it doesn't appeal much to me either.

I wonder why Gamefreak decided to make all fairies pink things related to food (mainly candies even). I'm definitely not an expert but from my time watching TV shows fairy lore seems a lot more elaborate than that. Oh well, I hope they branch out in Gen VII.
I hope they go more of a Klefki route with future fairies

Ezalc

250px-210Granbull.png

Would you believe me if I told you that Granbull is a pure Fairy type?

I feel like Granbull should be Fairy/Dark for some reason. I also really enjoy like it even if I don't know why exactly.

EDIT: Guess since I missed out on this earlier I'll just say that my favorite Eeveelutions are Jolteon and Umbreon with Espeon and Vaporeon coming 3rd and distant 4th and disliking all the rest. Eevee itself I'm indifferent.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
To be fair on the color thing, it's no more different than giving fire types mostly red in color.

Also people, an anniversary is for the whole series, not just the first. You don't see Mario going anniversary but only reference SMB. Hell, Super Mario Maker makes its way to reference up to New.

Stage On

Pin Missle wasn't as usless on Jolteon as during Gen 1 as you might think. Being a bug type move it ended up being my main anti Mewtwo move in Stadium

At this point I wish they'd just go ahead and give Eevee an evolution for each type. Maybe not introduce them all at once but at least 2 or 3 per generation until we have them all filled in would be fine by me.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Made another one of these, showing all of my favourites from across all gens. 1st column is my all-time faves, second is just below that and so on.

vMeyOzD.png

Here, I made one too!

0z7b5Zt.png

Thanks man. We seem to agree on a lot when it comes to Pokemon.

We are Pokemon soulmates <3

Gonna do my own list, cbf making it in photoshop though :p

Absolute favourites:
Nidorino, Nidoking, Vulpix, Ninetales, Growlithe, Arcanine, Haunter, Cubone, Scyther, Gyarados, Eevee, Vaporeon, Dragonair, Dragonite, Cyndaquil, Quilava, Ledian, Espeon, Umbreon, Sneasel, Lairon, Aggron, Mega Aggron, Mega Lucario, Weavile, Fennekin, Pangoro, Tyrunt, Tyrantrum, Phantump, Trevenant, Noibat, Noivern

Tier 2:
Charmander, Charmeleon, Charizard, Mega Charizard Y, Pidgeot, Mega Pidgeot, Kadabra, Tentacruel, Marowak, Rhyhorn, Rhydon, Electabuzz, Jolteon, Typlosion, Ampharos, Scizor, Heracross, Mega Heracross, Skarmory, Phanpy, Donphan, Mega Tyranitar, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Grovyle, Mega Sceptile, Absol, Mega Absol, Mega Banette, Latios, Mega Rayquaza, Torterra, Mismagius, Lucario, Electivire, Togekiss, Dusknoir, Gigalith, Archen, Galvantula, Litwick, Chespin, Greninja, Litleo, Pyroar, Pancham, Espurr, Goomy

Tier 3:
Pidgeotto, Sandshrew, Sandslash, Golduck, Alakazam, Victreebel, Cloyster, Gengar, Seadra, Lapras, Aerodactyl, Zapdos, Mewtwo, Bayleef, Crobat, Togetic, Murkrow, Dunsparce, Teddiursa, Houndour, Houndoom, Kingra, Raikou, Tyranitar, Treecko, Sceptile, Mega Blaziken, Breloom, Mega Mawile, Camerupt, Mega Camerupt, Crawdaunt, Rayquaza, Staraptor, Honchkrow, Toxicroak, Gliscor, Mamoswine, Oshawott, Dewott, Sandile, Krokorok, Krookodile, Dwebble, Scrafty, Archeops, Joltic, Ferrothorn, Chandelure, Volcarona, Talonflame, Furfrou, Aegislash, Malamar, Hawlucha, Yveltal

That got longer than I expected going through them all, but I'm not gonna trim it down :p

It's so weird playing Crystal, waiting for a more recent Pokemon to show up.

Every other gen feels more like an expansion than a completely new adventure. Gen 4 is the only one that feels a little more like it's new just because outside of Bibarel, most of the early Pokémon are good enough to last the whole game that you never need to replace.

Weebos

Banned
I still can't believe they for got to make the Lake Trio into Fairy Type. I mean you name the Fairy Type plate "The Pixie Plate" and forget that about the trio with a Pokemon that has pixie as part of its name.

Yeah, that was disappointing. I was hoping it might push Azelf or Uxie into competitive play.

Celebi couldn't really be fairy type. If Celebi was pure Grass, then yea, but the only type removed to add a new type was Normal, and Normal is just a neutral type with generic moves, not really as ingrained into a move pool as Celebi's Psychic type. Notice how Gallade didn't get fairy added to him.

The Lake Spirits have no excuse. They are 100% fairies and only have Psychic type, so they'd just be Psychic/Fairy.

Rutger

Banned
You know, before this thread I always figured Sylveon's ribbons were just its fur that happens to look like ribbons and bows, it'd be far from the first time something like that happened.

I think I like the design more now with the revelation that it can control them, haha.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
e3zHICs.png

#137 - Porygon
Normal

We continue our gimmicky Normal-type Pokemon pattern with probably one of the weirdest Pokemon of them all, Porygon. Porygon was a pain in the ass to get in Generation I, especially if you had Pokemon Red, where you could only get him by maxing out your coins at the Game Corner---Green/Blue was oddly cheaper though. As a kid, I just didn't get how to gamble, so like a lot of folks I got Porygon by grinding for money through the Elite Four and then buying Game Corner coins, a long and arduous process that just wasn't worth it. I imagine many folks likely got Porygon perhaps last, or around the same time they worked up enough patience to catch the Safari Zone Pokemon, and Porygon has always been a rare Pokemon, only available through the Game Corner in GSC, FRLG, and HGSS, the latter which required you to play the new "Voltorb Flip" since during Gen IV they cracked down on gambling, and it seems like future games won't include the Game Corner at all, so Porygon will finally be available through other means. He's been available through a few other methods over the years, often somewhat obscure or rare, such as in the Trophy Garden in Diamond and Pearl, with a 5% chance of it being there each day you talk to its owner, getting a certain NPC to show up in White Forest in White causing him to be obtainable in that area, through the Dream Radar app that works with B2W2, and finally appearing at one of the Mirage Spots in ORAS. The easiest game to get one in is Platinum, where he's just handed to you, otherwise he's typically a pain to get.

Porygon in Generation I wasn't worth the effort whatsoever, and he was simply PokeDex filler---while he had a lot of neat little gimmicks, and a varied move set, his stats were pretty poor, and his gimmicks took too much time to set up without any pay as he'd often quickly be killed before he could do anything useful. I doubt anyone actually used him during the main adventure, or at all, really, unless they specifically set out on a "Porygon Challenge Run", although perhaps someone did use him in Platinum where for once he was actually easy to obtain. Porygon is unique as while it began as a "fully evolved" Pokemon, it soon gained two evolutions, and thus is basically considered a rookie-level Pokemon, thus being eligible for the Little Cup where he apparently shines. His Evolutions are quite decent, too, so Porygon has thankfully advanced beyond the "pointless, non-evolving gimmick" stage that his friend Farfetch'd has been eternally trapped in. Still, despite his uniqueness, I don't think base Porygon has too many fans, and it also doesn't help he's at the center of one of the largest controversies ever in Pokemon History that could've potentially destroyed the series. But we'll talk about that later.

Porygon, to put it simply, is a "Digital Monster". In the games' lore, Porygon was created by the Pokemon Laboratory on Cinnabar Island, who Dr. Fuji, also known as the creator of Mewtwo, founded, and presumably he may have used his knowledge of creating Porygon to aid in his creation of Mewtwo. Despite being made of entirely data, and capable of existing and traveling through cyberspace, it apparently can be materialized in the real-world somehow, although this has never really been explained, where it serves as a Pokemon capable of research due to its ability to survive in basically any environment due to not being truly alive. In Pokemon Yellow, it's said people are anticipating it even exploring space which is finally realized in XY years later, where an NPC in the Kalos Power Plant explains that there's a Porygon working in the satellite that monitors the network, so that's a nice little tidbit. Porygon has very rudimentary A.I., with basic motions, and presumably isn't truly alive---although of course it can still breed with Ditto and hatches from Eggs.

I imagine while the Pokemon Lab created Porygon, based on other information it seems Silph Co. probably obtained the rights to re-produce Porygon and became the official "owner" of the Pokemon. It's said that Porygon is copy-protected and cannot be reproduced (except through biological sex, apparently_, but you have to wonder why it was being sold at the Game Corner---perhaps the Porygon we're familiar with isn't the real, authentic Porygon, but actually an illegal copy of it distributed by Team Rocket to build funds? It seems like a waste for Team Rocket to just sell off a Pokemon who could presumably assist in quite sophisticated cyber-crime, perhaps even infiltrating the Pokemon P.C. network which Team Plasma attempted in Black and White, but they don't seem to be necessarily forward-thinking individuals. Porygon's one Pokemon who really needs to be fleshed out more, and it's a shame the franchise shys away from the Pokemon for the most part due to being a bit awkward, oh, and sending thousands of kids to the emergency room. Its biggest plot role is in Pokemon Special, basically, but the games barely touch on it.

Porygon was apparently once known as the "CG Pokemon", but was changed to the "Virtual Pokemon"...I've been unable to find out why this happened, but it seems it was always the Virtual Pokemon in the English version, so I imagine CG was its original moniker, and was changed by the time Pokemon Yellow came out. I believe it was known as the "CG Pokemon" in its ill-fated debut episode of the anime, so I wonder if they changed the species name due to that controversy for whatever reason? As the "CG Pokemon", Porygon resembles early computerized graphics, being a very simplistic model with a basic body shape and rough, sharp edges, very topic upon its release back in the 90s, and I wonder if this is one Pokemon new-age kids might not quite understand? Porygon brings to mind an abstract bird, looking a bit like an origami crane, while also somewhat looking a bit saurian, perhaps meant to represent the general "Monster"-type Pokemon that made up a decent amount of Generation I. His red-and-blue coloring I imagine is also meant to bring to mind the colors of 3D glasses. Porygon is a neat design for those facts alone, yet at the same time I never found it visually appealing or that cool, but maybe some folks who were into 3D modeling back in those days like it more as they can relate to it.

As a CG Pokemon, Porygon has multiple Signature Moves signifying that categorization, such as Sharpen, which is said to be done by lowering its "polygon count" to make itself more jagged (is this terms used accurately here?), and Conversion 1 and Conversion 2, which in Japan are known as "Texture" and thus relating to the texture of Porygon's model. Conversion 1 is quite odd, as being a move that basically changed from Generation I to Generation II---originally, it allowed Porygon to change his Type to that of the opponent, thus becoming possibly dual-type, but in Generation II he could only become mono-type, as it instead changed him to one of his own moves' Type (in Gen VI, the Type of his first move) limiting his options. I'm not sure why they changed it, but the original effect of Conversion 1 was eventually restored in Generation V as the new move "Reflect Type" basically does the same thing. Conversion 2 works somewhat similar, changing Porygon's Type, but instead it changes it to a Type resistant or immune to the Type of the last attack used by the target Pokemon---so if Porygon was hit by a Normal-type attack, he'd become either a Steel, Rock, or Ghost-type Pokemon. Both of these moves are dubious in use since they waste a turn, and the pay-off is hard to utilize, and I'm not sure if any serious player bothers with them. Porygon also has a Signature Ability in Download, increasing either its Attack or Special Attack depending on which defense of the opposing Pokemon is lower to give Porygon an advantage, which fits its A.I. theme.

So, anyway, you know those "don't sit so close to the television and watch in a well-lit room" you see at the beginning of anime whenever you watch them in a dark room curled in front of your computer? You can thank Porygon for that, and almost killing Pokemon. Way back when Pokemon first took off in Japan, an episode known as the "Electric Soldier Porygon", a rather routine but odd filler, sent thousands of Japanese kids to the hospital with seizures due to flashing light effects. The episode was quickly pulled, Pokemon went on a hiatus for quite awhile, and the episode was forever banned and has never been re-released in any form, although you can find it online still---I've never watched it in fear of having seizures, although there's been a bunch of debate about why it effected kids the way it did, and everyone I've talked to who watched it had no issues, perhaps due to the low image quality of the ripped episode. This greatly influenced future cartoons in Japan as the familiar warning was now required at the beginning of every show I believe, and flashing effects in shows had to be toned down---I know Pokemon actually edited some older episode due to this rule, such as Episode 2 at the end when Pikachu shocks everyone, the split-screen effect when Team Rocket is getting electrocuted originally wasn't there. Despite the fact it was technically Pikachu's attacks that caused the seizure incident, Porygon was blamed, and completely banned from the show---furthermore its two evolutions never appeared in the show whatsoever, except for small cameos in the "World of Pokemon Segment" in the films, and once or twice in the dub in the "Who's That Pokemon" segment. Otherwise, Porygon isn't banned anywhere else, but it seems Japan just wants to erase the memory of the seizure incident completely so has removed the main Pokemon associated with it. Really, it could've been any Pokemon probably---if it was a filler about Farfetch'd, it probably would've been banned as well. Pikachu and Meowth were probably the only two Pokemon with immunity to being completely banned due to being main characters.

5SgP6r3.png

#233 - Porygon2
Normal

Well, not the most creative name, but given the circumstances, it fits. Porygon 2 is the "evolved" form of Porygon, or perhaps upgraded is more appropriate, as it evolves from Porygon when traded with the Up-Grade Item. Where as Porygon was a pretty unassuming gimmick Pokemon, Porygon 2 is far more capable, and was one of the premier Pokemon of Generation II and enjoys decent popularity nowadays, although it like many Pokemon has fallen in use due to all the crazy Pokemon popping up since. In terms of the main game, though, evolving via a Trade Item, and being the evolution of a relatively obscure and hard-to-get Pokemon meant that very few folks likely used Porygon 2 in their adventure, and his real skills are definitely appreciated more so by competitive players. One of his trademark combos in Generation II involved Curse, which I'd like to quickly explain---if you ever wondered why it slowed down non-Ghost Pokemon, it's simply an untranslatable Japanese pun, as "noroi" means both curse and slow. Perhaps NoA could've found a decent way to represent that, but it seems they didn't really bother with such an odd move and just hoped no one would really care that much about why otherwise normal Pokemon could learn "Curse".

As the Up-Grade is found at Silph Co, presumably Porygon2 was an upgraded version of the original Porygon developed by them once they got the rights, and as a "technological upgrade", Porygon2 has traits demonstrating this such as being much more rounder in appearance, resembling more sophisticated 3D modeling capabilities, and also lighter and smaller, the shrinking of advanced technology. Despite being an upgrade, there's a bit of weirdness present in Porygon2 according to the PokeDex---while it was upgraded with space exploration in mind, it's unable to fly (does it mean flying like a bird, or space flight?), and is said in the Platinum PokeDex to have not measured up to expectations. Furthermore, it also has advanced artificial intelligence, although with the implication that this trait may have not been exactly planned, and it's personality may be deemed as a failure when it comes to how well it could perform its job. I get the sense Silph Co. ultimately deemed the Porygon line somewhat of a failure, and perhaps they're the ones who sold Porygon to the Game Corners, wanting to make their money back without admitting to their mistakes? You could even see Porygon2 as similar to Mewtwo, an upgrade of the original who didn't go as planned, except not in a dangerous, psychopathic way.

I wasn't a big fan of Porygon, and I kind of think Porygon2 looks pretty dorky, even though once more I understand why it looks the way it does. Porygon looked kind of cool with the angles and all, but Porygon2 looks like a strange rubber duck, and I recall in Stadium 2 it had a pretty goofy animation that brought to mind those drinking bird knickknacks. So yeah, not really a Pokemon I favor, although I think it has its fans in part due to how good it ended up being in Gold and Silver, but it's probably one of those Pokemon people wouldn't care for in general otherwise and would've been seen as a neat, but ultimately odd and gimmicky Pokemon. Still though, it's kind of cute, so I still think it would've had a decent following either way.

Porygon2 never appeared in the show since the line was banned from the anime, and is the only Gen II Pokemon not to do so. It did appear at the beginning of the Keldeo Movie which featured every Pokemon introduced up to Gen V.

5pyQCso.png

#474 - Porygon-Z
Normal

Given the nature of Porygon2, many fans expected a "Porygon3" to be introduced eventually, and in Generation IV we finally got...one? Wait a second...1...2...Z? Something isn't right here? PorygonZ is the evolution of Porygon2 when traded with the Dubious Disc, but it's almost like a branch-evolution in a way, due to it only having a slightly better BST compared to Porygon2, and losing a bit from its other stats to put into Special Attack and Speed instead of an overall increase like most evolutions. Porygon-Z is quite an annoying Pokemon, though, considering you have to trade it three times---first to evolve Porygon, then to evolve to Porygon2, then to evolve to Porygon-Z, and finally once more so it can be traded back to its original owner. The fact you also need to make sure both players have the proper evolution item to attach to it before trading, which means you'll have to back out of the trading screen and equip it with the next required item, adds to the annoyance and despite Platinum giving players a free Porygon to possibly use, I doubt a lot of players wanted to bother trading to get Porygon-Z to use during the main adventure. But don't write off this read-only Pokemon that fast, as it's very potent in battle, a Nasty Plot boosted Porygon-Z capable of taking down almost any Pokemon instantly if it can score a good hit, and like its brother Porygon2 enjoys decent spotlight in the competitive scene. I imagine one day we may see a true "Porygon3" that officially evolves from Porygon2, or perhaps that might be served by a Porygon2 Mega Evolution, but for now Porygon-Z is the best we've got.

So...Porygon-Z is weird as fuck, and this is considering that Porygon and Porygon2 are pretty bizarre themselves. Porygon-Z is basically a glitched version of Porygon2, and its design reinforces this fact. Like Porygon2, its another design where I think its appearance really fits the lore of the Pokemon, but personally I do think they could've accomplished that while still making it visually appealing as Porygon-Z is just a Pokemon I have no interest in aesthetically, and I imagine most folks mainly use it for its power over looks. Still, maybe some folks are enticed by it's off-kilter look and dizzying appearance. As a glitched Pokemon, it's presumed that Porygon-Z was an unofficial upgrade to Porygon2 not authorized by Silph Co., and is said to have been programmed with the intention of exploring "alien dimensions" but apparently failed---perhaps though Porygon-Z didn't fail, and a scarier though is that it actually succeeded in crossing dimensions causing an "Event Horizon" to occur, and Porygon-Z's bizarre appearance and personality is the result of some unfathomable creature possessing the Pokemon causing it to act in ways beyond mortal comprehension? Also oddly Porygon-Z, despite being otherwise a scrambled Porygon2, is bigger and heavier than it when it seems like it probably should be the same size.

Who was responsible for Porygon-Z? Well, in Diamond and Pearl, the Dubious Disc was randomly found on an otherwise regular route, but in Platinum it was moved to the Galactic Base, and thus the common theory is that Team Galactic were responsible for it, presumably its ability to travel through dimensions can be seen as an attempt to possibly make contact with the dimensions that Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina occupy, but ultimately it was scrapped when it wasn't able to satisfy Galactic's goals. In particular, it's believed that the scientist Charon of Team Galactic was mainly responsible, due to hints in HGSS suggesting at one point he worked at Silph Co. and thus had access to the Porygon2 programming. Perhaps Porygon-Z wasn't originally made for Team Galactic, rather as an ego-trip by Charon to simply prove he could create a better Porygon than the company he worked at. Maybe Charon was also on the team responsible for Porygon2? He's one of the most enigmatic characters in the series, especially due to his relationship with another Generation IV Pokemon, and I wouldn't be surprised if he pops up again when we possibly get "Porygon3". Oh, I do love the little bits of lore Game Freak throws out for the fans that we have to try and piece together to figure out all the little mysteries throughout the series that may not have a solid answer in the first place.

Anyway, Porygon has signature moves, but Porygon2 doesn't necessarily have any, although Conversion 2 didn't come about till Porygon2 was added, but Porygon-Z has Trick Room. A ton of Pokemon can learn Trick Room through TM, but Z is the only Pokemon who could learn it naturally till Generation VI introduced two Legendaries who were also capable of utilizing it. Trick Room is one of the weirder moves in the game, causing slow Pokemon to move fast and fast Pokemon to move slow, but as Porygon-Z is a bit "middle of the road" in terms of speed, it's not exactly a fitting move for him in terms of use and going with Agility is usually the preferred method of keeping up with the faster Pokemon. Still though, Trick Room fits Z to a t in terms of lore and characteristics, as it's always been displayed as a strange, cybernetic dimension---perhaps this is the cyberspace that the Porygon line normally occupies?

Like Porygon2, Z never popped up in the show except for at the beginning of the Keldeo Movie alongside basically every other Pokemon. However, both it and 2 do have anime promotional artwork used in various merchandising and on websites, so perhaps at once point they were considered to be featured but never went through with it. It's never been actually confirmed if the Porygon line is truly banned from the anime, or if the animators simply have skipped over them on their own accord out of fear of reminding people of their past mistakes. While I'm sympathetic towards those effected, I do think it's weird to have a ban on a Pokemon who really wasn't inherently responsible and I hope by the time "Porygon3" comes around they're able to use the line again without fear of repercussions.

I love these three and their designs, but I've never actually used any of them. I don't think I've even owned any of them except Porygon in any game.

Which is weird because I think they're really cool looking Pokemon.

Edit: I think it's a little unintentionally dark that Porygon Z has weird random spasms and twitches, considering Porygon's history.

CassSept

I really like Porygon-Z. Seriously, such a cool idea for the next step (sidestep?) in Porygon evolution.

Alas, the day of our lord is upon us.

PK Gaming

I like to headcanon that Porygon-Z is an unintended evolution. Like some scientist guy came up with a bootleg upgrading software for it, and fucked it up.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Ah Porygon, a digimon Pokémon, hee hee hee.

Anyway Porygon was a pain to get and a pain to evolve as well, so if I ever plan to use him on my team it will be across generation so each Porygon get a chance to shine.

Urh, isn't that canoncanon?

Yep pretty much since the text for the Dubious Disc states

"A transparent device overflowing with dubious data. Its producer is unknown."

Whereas the Up-Grade states that it was developed by Silph Co.

"A transparent device filled with all sorts of data. It was produced by Silph Co."

So Porygon Z is not an official evolution from Silph Co, which makes me think that Porygon 3 could exist one day.

They should make missingo porygon z's mega evolution.

I really want them to make Missingno a Pokemon. Like an official one, with a real design as a Normal/Ghost type. Not only would it be a nice reference, but also a clever way of what a Normal/Ghost might look like.

Make it look like the ghost from the lavender town mansion, except have it phase in and out of static and garbled data.

Like this

There's also fan art out there, with the Normal/Bird type angle
wild_missingno__appeared_by_warupua.jpg

Which could be interesting, but a less direct reference.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I really want them to make Missingno a Pokemon. Like an official one, with a real design as a Normal/Ghost type. Not only would it be a nice reference, but also a clever way of what a Normal/Ghost might look like.

Make it look like the ghost from the lavender town mansion, except have it phase in and out of static and garbled data.

Like this

Normal/Ghost Pokémon would be pretty sweet and would have 1 weakness, since Normal is immune to ghost and Ghost is immune to fighting.

It's probably the only time that being part normal is actually useful and the moment Game Freak create a normal/ghost type Pokémon that little guy is so going on my team no question asked... assuming it isn't legendary.

clemenx

Banned
I've always loved using Eviolite Porygon 2 for some reason. Even if there's better options out there. It's a damn good mixed wall if you can scout properly for Fighting types attacks.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The entire Porygon line are some of the most unique Pokemon in the series. Too bad they are a pain in the butt to get in most games.

Porygon's blockiness is charming in a delightfully 90's way. Porygon2's rounder edges are a nice nod to graphical evolution. Porygon-Z is a clusterfuck of a design, but it's supposed to be, so, eh.

Like this

Not seeing Missingno in this bird... although it's a great design regardless. Like a dark themed Fearow evolution.

Rutger

Banned
The first two Porygon do nothing for me. Porygon-Z on the other hand is really cool.

It's a shame it's so tedious to evolve, I've never felt like putting up with that so I could use one. I did finally get one in Gen VI when I completed my living dex though.

Azuran

Banned
I absolutely adored the entire Porygon line. I always found the idea of a Pokemon that's able to travel through the virtual web one of the coolest things in the series. He always stood out for me because of that.

Camjo-Z

I don't actually get to use Porygon much in the games thanks to his annoying tendency to be obnoxiously difficult to obtain without trading (and his annoying tendency to be impossible to evolve without trading), but he's still my favorite Pokemon. I just love that angular design, and the way he manages to be so neutral - neither tough and angry, nor cute and cuddly. Porygon2 is... eh. I can appreciate the idea behind his design, but it still looks pretty awful. Porygon-Z on the other hand is badass in concept and execution. (Also, if you were ever wondering why my username is Camjo-Z... wonder no more.)

Anth0ny

I don't think I've ever used Porygon. Mother fucker was expensive as hell in gen 1. Always liked his design, though.

Making missingno canon would be so sweet. Considering what we've got over the years, a canon "glitch pokemon" doesn't seem all that out of the ordinary, either.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Fossil Pokemon

It's time for our first set of Fossil Pokemon! Fossil Pokemon are a staple of the Pokemon series, with at least two lines being introduced in every Generation except for Generation II, and are somewhat "fan favorites". Considering Jurassic Park had just come out a few years prior to the release of Pokemon, it's pretty obvious that Fossil Pokemon were likely created based on the popularity of that film and the idea of reviving prehistoric creatures, although one will note we never got a true dinosaur Fossil Pokemon till Generation IV. All Fossil-type Pokemon are Rock-types, and in fact in Generation I, they were the only non-Ground Rock Pokemon, and thus the only ones who were effected by Electric-type attacks---and they were weak to them. It's generally believed that Fossil Pokemon were not naturally Rock-type in the past, but somehow during the revival process their DNA was transformed and made them into their current appearances---but this is just speculation, and one pseudo-Fossil Pokemon in Generation III, who was always part-Rock even without the revival process, casts this assumption into doubt. And although it's not necessarily canon, the show has featured numerous naturally occurring "Fossil Pokemon" who looked identical to their revived counterparts and were of the same Type, but this is likely simply due to the anime not being authorized to just straight-up create brand new Pokemon for the most part.

Fossil Pokemon have never been encountered in the wild in the main games, and instead must be revived through the use of their respective Fossils. For the most part, the two Fossil lines introduced in each Region are one-off per game, and the player must choose between the two of them---and once they choose, there's no going back, so they'll need to trade for the other. However, in more recent games Fossils have become far more plentiful, and older Fossils can be obtained in unlimited amounts in certain locations, such as digging them out from the Underground in Diamond and Pearl. Furthermore, as of Generation IV, Fossils can also be traded before they're revived. Generation I also had a third Fossil, obtained through an in-game Event, meaning every player had access to it, and Generation III also had a Pokemon who filled a similar role, except it was still living and thus found in the wild. Fossils must then be taken to a "Fossil Lab", present in every Region except for Johto, and revive the Fossil Pokemon who can then be added to the player's party. Despite all this, all Fossil Pokemon have genders, and thus can easily be bred starting in Generation II to distribute to friends as opposed to needing to individually revive them from Fossils.

Fossil Pokemon are weird when you factor them into the lore of Pokemon, as in Generation I I always got the impression that Pokemon were relatively new creatures that came about just recently, perhaps being strange mutations of natural animals caused directly by human interaction (a popular fan theory being they were the result of the Pokemon World's nuclear bomb being set in Japan), but the Fossil Pokemon totally break this assumption. Furthermore in a series that runs off the idea of Pokemon evolution being more like instant metamorphosis, Fossil Pokemon seem to illustrate that Pokemon have also evolved in a natural way as well, so don't try and think them over too much.

And with that quick introduction, on to our first Fossil family!

Jk2aXwR.png

#138 - Omanyte
Rock/Water

You thought we were done with Generation I Water-type Pokemon, but we've still got four more to go! Omanyte is one of the first Fossil Pokemon, and is revived through the Helix Fossil, which reached meme status thanks to Twitch Plays Pokemon. I really didn't get into that whole thing on the ground level, and found it to be very impenetrable behind all the memes and running jokes, so I have no clue what all that is about. Generation I players had to pick between it and the Dome Fossil early on in the game, and could then revive it a bit later on---I feel like most probably skipped over Omanyte, as the other Fossil Pokemon is more visually interesting, but I kind of like Omanyte a bit more. Did anyone use the Fossil Pokemon during the main adventure though? I never did since by the time I got around to reviving them I had a full team already set, so they just ended up as PC Pokemon. In fact, I'm pretty sure I've only ever used a single Fossil Pokemon during my entire Pokemon career, and that was as a competitive Pokemon in Generation V. I've never used one during the main adventure, come to think of it. Anyway, Omanyte is the first non-Ground Rock-type Pokemon, and is instead mixed with the Water-type instead. That's not really a beneficial combination, though, as the Types don't really cover each other that well, and it's weak to common Fighting, Electric, and Ground-type attacks.

Omanyte is based on the ammonite, extinct cephalopods that appeared during the Devonian period. Although they resemble and are slightly related to an extant creature known as the nautilus, who have basically remained unchanged into modern times and are known as "living fossils", the ammonite is more related to modern squids, octopuses, and cuttlefish. A main difference between the two seems to be their shell structure, with the ammonite having a rougher, more segmented shell while the nautilus is smoother, although Omanyte apparently is meant to be based off both of them to an extent---its name, while it seems at first to be simply a cute misspelling, presumably combines the Japanese word for the nautilus, "omugai". The ammonite is a very important fossil, and one of the most recognizable even though you might not know what animal it necessarily belongs to, as their fossils are used as "index fossils" to determine the time period a layer of rock represents. So, it's no wonder Game Freak decided to use it as one of the initial Fossil Pokemon, even though it itself isn't as recognizable as the far more popular dinosaurs when it comes to ancient creatures.

Omanyte's main ability is to float and sink by distributing the air in its shell, which is similar to how real ammonite emptied water from their shells to control their own buoyancy. Based on my research, it was believed ammonites had ten tentacles, two used for grabbing prey, and eight for simple movement and such, which is also accurately represented in Omanyte's design albeit in a more cartoonish way. I imagine the "Rock" part of Omanyte is meant to represent its shell, which seems to just be basically the fossil---it's believed that ammonites may have had very colorful shells that could be used for camouflage, and perhaps the "real" Omanyte had such a shell as well? Sometimes I wish Game Freak could give us some ancient variants of Pokemon with slight aesthetic changes to represent these little tidbits. I'll be honest here and say that with a lot of these biological segments, a bunch of it is based on quick skimming and I'm not that well-informed beforehand, so please excuse any mistakes especially when dealing with somewhat obscure, extinct creatures.

I actually think Omanyte is one of the most adorable Pokemon, but it doesn't really get as much love as many of the other more popular cute Pokemon. I mean, it basically looks like a living mustache with googly eyes wearing a funny hat. I think one issue that keeps it from being popular is its lack of "personality", it doesn't look expressive or have any attitude traits associated with it like Psyduck's clumsiness, Pikachu's mischievousness, or Jigglypuff's cuteness, but perhaps that was on purpose, given that it's a revived Pokemon from ancient times before human interaction and thus never picked up on any human-like traits. Still, while I like its design, it's also a Pokemon I very rarely think about so it's far from a favorite of mine.

Omanyte usually appears alongside other Fossil Pokemon in the show, but got a focus episode in Johto set in the Ruins of Alph, despite the line being absent from Gold and Silver unless it was traded from Generation I.

Sorry, Omastar was camera shy...
GN5UafT.png
Omastar
Rock/Water

Omanyte is the evolved from of Omastar by Level Up, even though prehistoric Pokemon being revived and then evolving is a bit weird when you think about it. Anyway, Omastar was once a pretty sub-standard Pokemon, a decent staller but with poor speed and an unfavorable Type combination, but in Generation V got a great boost through Shell Smash, allowing it to greatly buff up multiple stats at once. Omastar still isn't the best Pokemon in the game, but it certainly helped him stand out a bit among all the other Water-type Pokemon he has to compete with. I might be wrong, but I think it's considered to be better nowadays over the other Rock/Water Generation I Fossil Pokemon.

Omastar's design is pretty weird, and a bit unappealing, although it's a great disco dancer. One thing that always bothered me was how little it changed from Omanyte, especially compared to the evolution of the other two-stage Fossil Pokemon in Generation I. I always thought it looked a bit incomplete in a way, like it was only the middle-form rather than the final-form, and even though it's technically bigger than Omanyte, its image doesn't suggest that and when you look at them side-by-side, it looks like they're basically supposed to be of equal height. It's hard to explain, but I just think they didn't represent the change in mass well. I guess it's possibly due to the shell being roughly the same size in comparison to its body as Omanyte's, giving the illusion that it's smaller than it is.

It's basically an evolved ammonite/nautilus, and incorporates some elements that bring to mind octopuses/squids, such as the way its tentacles look at its beak-like mouth. I really don't like how the eyes and mouth look, and honestly wish they made it a bit "cuter" yet still intimidating. Despite the assumption that Omastar simply died out due to natural environmental changes, according to the PokeDex it actually died out due to its heavy shell greatly reducing its speed, and therefore it was unable to catch any prey---imagine if it knew Shell Smash back then, it might've stood a chance! It's also said to have feasted on Shellder, cracking their shell and sucking out the inside, which suggests that Shellder is a Pokemon who has been around for a long time, and presumably may have not changed too much in appearance. I wonder if the Slowpoke Shellder possibly represents its prehistoric form? Man, Generation IV + Shellder + Ancient Power would've made for a cool new branch evolution once again.

Omastar's focus episode in the show was shared with Omanyte, the one I mentioned above called "Fossil Fools". I think it'd be cool if they gave a Fossil Pokemon to someone on the main cast one of these days, some of the later, more cuter ones seem like they'd be easy to market especially.

HAIL HELIX

uWG8lnk.gif

Omanyte is a cute pokemon that i very much like, Omastar is alright but i like the cuteness more

i also have to post this pokemon card cause it's sad

omanyte.BMP

Mentioned it earlier in the thread but I've used an Omastsr once in Yellow. Thought he was a little underrated but I don't know how the special split effected him.

Omanyte is one of the first Fossil Pokemon, and is revived through the Helix Fossil, which reached meme status thanks to Twitch Plays Pokemon. I really didn't get into that whole thing on the ground level, and found it to be very impenetrable behind all the memes and running jokes, so I have no clue what all that is about.

In every battle at some point chat would get stuck in the item menu repeatedly clicking on the Helix Fossil. It became a joke that whenever it happened people were asking it for advice.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Fossil Pokemon

Jk2aXwR.png

I actually think Omanyte is one of the most adorable Pokemon, but it doesn't really get as much love as many of the other more popular cute Pokemon. I mean, it basically looks like a living mustache with googly eyes wearing a funny hat.
slow-lol-zoom.gif

Omanyte's true evolution

sexymon___omanyte_by_wupar-d2z7ebr.png

The "hey, lets go with ammonite, trilobite, and pterodactyl" when it came down to having 3 fossil pokemon is a big "bwuh?!?" moment (outside of the pterodactyl). It's just so odd.

Top Bottom