• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Pokemon. All 721 of them, and counting.

jnWake

Fossil Pokemon tend to be super cool design-wise. Shame that the Rock type carries so many weakness.

I think my favourite one is Cradily. Such a weird concept and cool design. Aurorus is lovely too but dear God that typing... Only useful for Inverse Battles haha.

Bladenic

Fossil Pokemon tend to be super cool design-wise. Shame that the Rock type carries so many weakness.

I think my favourite one is Cradily. Such a weird concept and cool design. Aurorus is lovely too but dear God that typing... Only useful for Inverse Battles haha.

They need to make inverse battles a thing for online battles so Grass can be the best offensive type.

Seil

Fossil Pokemon have never been encountered in the wild in the main games, and instead must be revived through the use of their respective Fossils.

While mostly true, all Gen 1-5 Pokemon except for Archen were available via the Dream World. This bugs the hell out of me since it means Archen, Tyrunt, Amaura and the Gen 3-5 starters are the only non legendary/male-only/genderless Pokemon I can't have a female of in a luxury ball -.-

Anth0ny

now that jurassic world is all the rage, how long until we get a mainline pokemon that takes place entirely in the prehistoric era, during a time when omanyte and kabuto run wild and free?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Who'd have thought one event could ruin a Pokemon due to memes?

now that jurassic world is all the rage, how long until we get a mainline pokemon that takes place entirely in the prehistoric era, during a time when omanyte and kabuto run wild and free?

Pokemon had their JP reference, sorta.

Yh6SD.gif

PK Gaming

TPP was some magical stuff. I became a true believer when we managed to catch Zapdos with the Master Ball. Like, I don't believe in magic, but that was some supernatural stuff right there. It was like our collective wills coalesced into a single thought: conscious thought

"Catch Zapdos"

And it freaking happened. Wow, maybe magic is real.

Broken link!

ffdgh

TPP was some magical stuff. I became a true believer when we managed to catch Zapdos with the Master Ball. Like, I don't believe in magic, but that was some supernatural stuff right there. It was like our collective wills coalesced into a single thought: conscious thought

"Catch Zapdos"

And it freaking happened. Wow, maybe magic is real.

Broken link!
I stayed up for that insane zapdos capture...it was flipping amazing seeing it live. And then....all hell broke loose/bloody sunday began when they went to that damn pc XD.

ash_ag

I really want them to make Missingno a Pokemon. Like an official one, with a real design as a Normal/Ghost type. Not only would it be a nice reference, but also a clever way of what a Normal/Ghost might look like.

Make it look like the ghost from the lavender town mansion, except have it phase in and out of static and garbled data.

Like this

There's also fan art out there, with the Normal/Bird type angle
wild_missingno__appeared_by_warupua.jpg

Which could be interesting, but a less direct reference.

I agree with the sentiment that Missingno. becoming a real Pokémon would be really interesting, but I don't think it should look like the Pokémon Tower ghosts. I mean, this "Pokémon" is truly Legendary, in the sense that it was the epicenter of a lot of urban legends at the time. So, I would expect it to have something more unique about it. I think it should look like a graphical mess, or a smoke of sorts, in reference to its original "design":

However, it could very well take other odd shapes and forms, further referring to its status as a glitch, including the Lavender ghost, of course:

Qa71bOa.png

Perhaps this could be part of its Ability.

Shame that the ???-type was removed. Would match it perfectly. :p

Omastar went from a rather boring, barely acknowledged Pokemon, to jumping to immense popularity, basically overnight.

I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't done anything with Omastar. They have to know TPP was a hugely popular thing, and Omastar was basically the star (har har) of the entire thing.

Imagine Omastar plushies and t-shirts. But I don't think any exist, at least not in a mass market capacity.

Only thing more entertaining than those Lord Helix antics is the people that complain about it.

Hella late to comment on the Porygon line, but I always liked how Porygon-Z is basically Porygon: Rainbow Edition.

CassSept

I didn't follow TPP that closely but I thought Pidgeot was the star of the run.

Pidgeot was the star of the team, but Omanyte was, ummm, the official mascot? So to speak. As explained above, as you know the thing was incredibly erratic, so very often in fight twitch would open bag and use the first item available, which soon became Helix Fossil, since if I remember right this is the first key item you encounter in the game (sans package at the beginning, which you need to give up to progress). So very soon multiple times per fight players would open bag and use Helix Fossil (of course triggering nothing but oak telling you it's not the right time to use the item).

Very soon the general population started acting like the character was actually consulting the Helix Fossil and a ludicrous 'religion' arose around it, with Omanyte being the centerpiece, Pidgeot a prophet, Flareon the false prophet who was banished to the PC, guarded by a Drowzee and so on. You can probably find a comprehensive guide to the whole thing somewhere on reddit.

This led to some incredible fanarts, like the one Anth0ny posted above.

0489b8c0dd4e4f2ff334ciyyh2.jpg

NEO0MJ

Hella late to comment on the Porygon line, but I always liked how Porygon-Z is basically Porygon: Rainbow Edition.

Me too. Personally I love the original the most. I was only able to buy it in the original thanks to the duplicating item glitch, which allowed me to sell so many nuggets.

Very soon the general population started acting like the character was actually consulting the Helix Fossil and a ludicrous 'religion' arose around it, with Omanyte being the centerpiece, Pidgeot a prophet, Flareon the false prophet who was banished to the PC, guarded by a Drowzee and so on. You can probably find a comprehensive guide to the whole thing somewhere on reddit.

This led to some incredible fanarts, like the one Anth0ny posted above.

You really had to e there to get it, and even then there's no guarantee you'd enjoy it.

In my head, I imagine Armaldo diving into the primordial water and crushing an Omanyte with his claws and then sucking up the innards.

Kind of funny Armaldo is weak to water, but is said to be a good swimmer and has Swift Swim as an ability. But can't learn Surf or Dive, but has been shown to use both in the manga.

Pokemon never really has "ages" for extinct Pokemon, so I guess Armaldo and Omanyte were swimming around while Tyrantrum and Bastiodon were chilling on the land, even if that's not how history happened. The game just treats them all as if he existed in some indeterminate time in the past.

Xenoboy

If Armaldo gets a mega, it better be Water/Bug. It should also learn some better water moves. Why are they all special? lol.
Armaldo is probably my favorite fossil tied with Aurorus.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Personally I would prefer if Game Freak continues ignoring Missingno than turn it into a Pokémon.

In my head, I imagine Armaldo diving into the primordial water and crushing an Omanyte with his claws and then sucking up the innards.

Kind of funny Armaldo is weak to water, but is said to be a good swimmer and has Swift Swim as an ability. But can't learn Surf or Dive, but has been shown to use both in the manga.

Pokemon never really has "ages" for extinct Pokemon, so I guess Armaldo and Omanyte were swimming around while Tyrantrum and Bastiodon were chilling on the land, even if that's not how history happened. The game just treats them all as if he existed in some indeterminate time in the past.

I used an Armaldo, nicknamed Rudo, in my Alpha Sapphire team and he was like "Oh you're a water type?... I eat them for breakfast."

Seriously Rudo just shrugged off water attack and destroyed them, which surprised me as I thought that I would have to baby him.

If Armaldo gets a mega, it better be Water/Bug. It should also learn some better water moves. Why are they all special? lol.
Armaldo is probably my favorite fossil tied with Aurorus.

I just want to say that I love your avatar, it always leaves me with a smile on my face.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I still can't believe it took until Gen 6 for a T-Rex pokemon, So damn worth the wait though.

And honestly worth it since I doubt early gen would be able to apply the subtleness it has in its design. It's easily the perfect pokemon as far as I'm concerned with design.

Good.

And I'm glad Pokemon Company for once ignore memes. Or at least American memes.

Porygon's been a real use for my team in Black 2. It has some good stats and a really diverse movepool. I think Conversion 2 would be straight if I was playing the regular mode, but since I'm not if I use it trainers will just use another attack that will be super effective against my current type.

I never used any of the omanyte family, but I did use an Aerodactyl when I was having trouble against the Flying Gym Leader in Black 2.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I still can't believe it took until Gen 6 for a T-Rex pokemon, So damn worth the wait though.

Yep, Tyrunt is soooo cute and Tyrantrum just wrecks things.

And I'm glad Pokemon Company for once ignore memes. Or at least American memes.

Yep, keep memes out of my games please.

Oh remember how Diamond and Pearl had NPC used chat speak, thankfully they got dropped in Platinum.

I love the variety in Armaldo's sprites
Spr_3r_348.png
- 3rd gen
Spr_4d_348.png
- 4th gen
Spr_5b_348.png
- 5th gen

Proof that you can't improve on perfection.

StoneFox

All this talk about the Helix Fossil in TPP... in our Randomized HeartGold Run we had a whole TEAM of fossil pokemon. We even had another Omastar with the Thick Fat ability so we called him Lard Helix. Haha

Zyrox

Man TPP was amazing. All the moments, memes, fanart...makes me nostalgic lol I remember how we got stuck on the route to the east of Cerulean city for ages haha, but then we finally made it. I was there when we made it. That was amazing. Or how we caught fucking Zapdos. Or what a scary trip it was every time we had to use the PC. Or how we finally challenged and won against the E4. Good times. All hail Lord Helix!

Re: Armaldo, it took me till the 3D games (Colosseum/XD) to notice its little visual gimmick. I was freaked out for a moment when I saw that
its "ears" were blinking. ITS EARS ARE ITS EYES OMG!
. Same with Cradily really. That made me like these fossils even more.

Catching the Zapdos in TPP is still mindblowing to me, the chances of actually using the masterball on it and not running away or killing it, unreal.

Rutger

Banned
I don't think I've ever gone with Omanyte in any Kanto game.

Re: Armaldo, it took me till the 3D games (Colosseum/XD) to notice its little visual gimmick. I was freaked out for a moment when I saw that
its "ears" were blinking. ITS EARS ARE ITS EYES OMG!
. Same with Cradily really. That made me like these fossils even more.

Welp, I'm regretting looking at that spoiler.
Oh well, I didn't care much for it to begin with, so not a big loss.

Nice nod to that one unofficial guide with the camera shy Omastar. Wonder why Omastar was the one model picture they were missing when they had literally everything else.

I have always loved Omanyte because it's cute and I like ammonites. Omastar's design sucks.

The "hey, lets go with ammonite, trilobite, and pterodactyl" when it came down to having 3 fossil pokemon is a big "bwuh?!?" moment (outside of the pterodactyl). It's just so odd.

It's only odd if you expected it to be based on popularity. Ammonites and trilobites were both massively prolific in the Paleozoic and can both be used for index fossils for relative dating. Ammonites were around from about the Devonian all the way to the late Cretaceous (~419 mya to ~66 mya) and trilobites throughout the entire Paleozoic (~541 mya to ~252 mya). Shit, you can use different variants of trilobites for dating within the Cambrian, they have such a clear evolutionary path. If anything, the pterosaur is the odd one out!

I want this.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
8StxYHX.png

#140 - Kabuto
Rock/Water

Kabuto is the other Generation I Rock/Water Fossil revived from the Dome Fossil, and it seems to me the most popular due to a cooler design and evolution---although perhaps Omanyte might win out nowadays thanks to the Helix Fossil meme. Both Pokemon are the same Type, so picking between one ultimately likely came up to simply which design you liked the most, as during the main adventure they'd basically end up serving the same "Water Pokemon" role on your team if you hadn't added a Water-type Pokemon already at that point. Personally, for me, I try to avoid re-using Types when I'm playing through the main adventure when it comes to team construction, but others might not be so strict and might use multiple Water-type Pokemon or, heck, a whole team of them since they're so plentiful.

Kabuto appears to be a combination of two similar animals---the extinct trilobite and its closest extant ancestor, the horseshoe crab. It's similar to Omanyte in this way who also appears to draw from two animals as well, one extinct, one extant, and like the ammonite the trilobite is considered a very important fossil due to its prolificness and use in the fossil record, and like the nautilus the horseshoe crab is considered to be a "living fossil". Thus there's actually a great sense of symmetry between the two Pokemon, and while some folks may find it odd Game Freak went with odder ancient animals over the more popular dinosaurs, it's clear they actually put a lot of thought into what choices they made to represent the debut Fossil Pokemon. Kabuto in the lore is said to be an ancient creature, yet it also lives up to the "living fossil" idea because it's said living specimens have been discovered, although the games have never actually had it appear in the wild to back this up.

The body of Kabuto---who is named after the iconic Japanese helmet---basically resembles the shelled head of the trilobite/horseshoe crab, a very simplistic version that leaves off the rest of the real creature's body. Like many Generation I Pokemon, its shadowy bottom is basically meant to represent the "unknown" insides of the shell, the only thing visible being two glowing red eyes. If you only knew Kabuto from playing Red and Blue and never saw it otherwise, you wouldn't have even seen those eyes as the sprite used in those games only showed the top of its head. There's a misconception that the small black eyes on Kabuto's top are fake eyes, and the red eyes are its real eyes, but that's not correct---according to the PokeDex, the eyes on top are indeed actual eyes, whereas the red eyes also seem to be eyes. Going by what we know about the horseshoe crab, it actually has multiple eyes on the top of its head, but the two visible ones are complex eyes whereas it also has light-sensing eyes on the underside of its shell as well, which Kabuto thus represents. To my understanding, the horseshoe crab doesn't use its top eyes for much other than mating, and the light-sensing eyes prove more useful when navigating the ocean. But it's another complex creature who is hard to really learn about without studying the basics of arthropods so forgive the rudimentary and possibly inaccurate scientific explanation.

I really like Kabuto's design, while not as cute as Omanyte its appearance which brings to mind a Java from Star Wars, or some kind of strange hooded monk, is effectively creepy and a nice way to represent that it's a creature from basically another world. I haven't seen any "real-world" interpretations of this Pokemon really in fan-art, which is a surprise since the creatures it's based on are extremely bizarre and creepy looking in real life and influenced the designs of the "Aliens" franchise if I recall. Game Freak I think made a good choice leaving the underside up to the viewer's imagination as opposed to drawing it out, which I think would remove the aesthetically pleasing simplicity of the design. You never really realize how often they pulled the "use black to represent unknown space" trick till you look at the Pokemon closely, but that's probably because they do it so well in Generation I that you never really notice it till you look and the design feels complete even with all the details left out.

Like Omanyte, Kabuto has made appearances alongside the other Fossil Pokemon, but got a debut episode in Orange Islands where a bunch of dormant Kabuto were basically serving as the foundation of an entire island. The episode was suitably creepy, with all the Kabuto coming alive at the end at the signal of a blood moon and causing the entire island to instantly sink into the sea. You know, Orange Islands were kind of stupid in parts (Orange Gym Leaders sucked, and half of them wanted to sleep with Misty for some reason), but it had some pretty neat little episodes like this one.

1SfeNnM.png

#141 - Kabutops
Rock/Water

Kabutops is the evolved form of Kabuto via Level Up, and probably the second most popular Fossil Pokemon due to its rather streamlined and intimidating appearance. I believe in the Generation I days, it was considered the best Fossil Pokemon due to its powerful Attack and decent Speed, but it's never really risen to the higher ranks, although it does occasionally see use in higher tiers due to working together with Rain-based teams alongside a certain Legendary Water-type Pokemon. Still though, I think a lot of people probably use it simply because of how it looks---it probably competes with Scyther for the title of "Most Badass Generation I Pokemon", proving that adding scythes to anything makes it far cooler. Seriously, imagine if Farfetch'd wielded a scythe instead of a leek, you wouldn't want to mess with that motherducker or he'd totally duck you up. I think Kabutops looks neat myself, yet I kind of like the weirder, less insta-cool Fossil Pokemon myself---my two favorite Fossil Pokemon are probably the two least liked.

While Kabuto represented merely the head segment of the trilobites, Kabutops includes the rest of the body such as the spiked-layered spine and tail, but also adds some other, more "saurian" elements like a bipedal body, and functional legs, and it's surprising how elaborate they made it compared to Omastar, who was a rather modest evolution who didn't stray too far from the base creature. But most probably like Kabutops for this reason because, hey, it looks cooler this way! Despite their names, horseshoe crabs aren't related to crabs, but are more like spiders and scorpions, thus you can see the scythes meant to represent that scorpion element perhaps, and also makes Kabutops slightly resemble the ancient "sea scorpions" known as eurypterids, although they actually aren't technically true scorpions. It's definitely a fantastical design, but has enough elements of real-life creatures combined in a rather sensible way that it doesn't feel too weird or bizarre, and if you didn't know better, you might think such a creature may have existed in the real world in prehistoric times.

Kabutops is said to be a skilled swimmer, yet I don't recall ever seeing it actually shown swimming in any media, and its body really doesn't look like it's specialized in aquatic movement, but apparently it can tuck in its body to increase its speed in the water. One interesting element the PokeDex also adds is that this Kabutops may not be the "original" Kabutops, and is actually a Kabutops in the middle of evolution as it began to slowly move to land-based movement over aquatic-based movement as its prey moved to land as well. and thus presumably the older Kabutops may have had a more aquatic-friendly design. Kabuto, and Kabutops by extension are said to have existed 300 million years in the past, which actually links it with a later Pokemon introduced in Generation V who is an ancient bug turned into a giant mecha. Well, we've never seen the actual non-mechanical form of said Pokemon, but it was said to be one of the top predators 300 million years ago, and thus many people speculate due to its similarities with Kabutops they may be one in the same---possibly the creature Kabutops became when it adjusted to land life. On the other hand, I also wonder if the other Pokemon actually hunted Kabutops, and was the cause of its extinction as despite being a powerful aquatic hunter, on land it couldn't measure up and thus was hunted to near extinction. But it's really hard to work together real-world evolution and Pokemon evolution, because sometimes it seems they work on entirely different levels---for example, Kabuto Evolves into Kabutops, yet the actual Kabuto never evolved and thus the modern one is virtually identical to the old one, yet Kabutops apparently did evolve and change its appearance over time. It's really messy, and that's ignoring the fact that I've never been that great when it comes to understanding evolutionary theory. But I'm positive the way Game Freak handles it doesn't really make much sense.

Kabutops has one of my favorite scenes in any Pokemon Movie. In Movie 5, there's a really awesome chase scene where Ash is chased through the canals of "Venice" (Pokemon Venice, though) by a Kabutops who is basically going at Ash like a ninja, and literally trying to cut the guy into pieces. It's a great scene and punctuated by a really great BGM---plus I love how the Pokemon who ultimately save Ash end up being Brock and Misty's Pokemon, actually doing something useful for once in their lives. I don't actually remember Kabutops ever having a starring role in the show, though, he always played second fiddle to our next Fossil Pokemon in all of his appearances.

I have always loved Omanyte because it's cute and I like ammonites. Omastar's design sucks.

It's only odd if you expected it to be based on popularity. Ammonites and trilobites were both massively prolific in the Paleozoic and can both be used for index fossils for relative dating. Ammonites were around from about the Devonian all the way to the late Cretaceous (~419 mya to ~66 mya) and trilobites throughout the entire Paleozoic (~541 mya to ~252 mya). Shit, you can use different variants of trilobites for dating within the Cambrian, they have such a clear evolutionary path. If anything, the pterosaur is the odd one out!

I want this.

Ah cmon, this is thinking backwards. 18 years for a T-Rex. 10 for a dinosaur period. The "only" part is a vast majority; the realization isn't an earthshaking revelation.

Like Omanyte vs Omastar, I think Kabuto's base form is awesome and the evolution's design sucks.

Kabuto, and Kabutops by extension are said to have existed 300 million years in the past

This puts it within the actual time range for real trilobites. Neat.

Ah cmon, this is thinking backwards. 18 years for a T-Rex. 10 for a dinosaur period. The "only" part is a vast majority; the realization isn't an earthshaking revelation.

I know, my point is that if you want to design a fossil Pokemon, looking into paleontological relevance is as valid an approach as popularity. Research is important to good design.

I'd almost argue that as an approach it's more valid, but that's neither here nor there.

Top Bottom