• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Black Ops 3 beta for pre-orders/ release date 11.6.15 (on a Friday)

Liamc723

This is becoming less and less true. The music industry just moved CD releases officially to Fridays. Netflix has released a majority of their new shows on Fridays. I expect the game industry to quickly follow (and as someone else has already pointed out, Sony and Nintendo release their first party stuff on Fridays.)

It makes complete sense for two reasons: A) people get paid on Fridays (in most cases) so no better time that to release something than on a day when people get paid. B) big games like CoD releasing on a Friday get people even more excited to be able to get the game and play all weekend. I would be shocked if games releases on a Friday didn't see bigger first week sales thank those releasing on a Tuesday.

Games have always released on a Friday here in the UK. Tuesday seems like such a random day.

Chris1

Well you know, Nov 6 is 10 days after Halo and 10 days before Battlefront 3

BO2 came out 6 days after Halo4 and we all know what happened there, I don't think Activision are worried about Halo.. at all. Battlefront maybe, but if that's the case wouldn't it be best to release it on a Tuesday and get it even further away from it?

I really can't see it being a Friday release.

I actually think a Friday release date makes more sense especially if you want to do a worldwide launch. Also it allows them to make the game stand out while every other game is releasing that Tuesday. Marketing genius.

I'll be curious to see how it sells. People love BLOPS, but seem to be out of Call of Duty lately.

I recall Advanced Warfare doing pretty well for them. I don't think they'll ever hit "biggest entertainment release in history" numbers again, but the franchise is still very popular.

They've got serious competition this year, though. Battlefront is going to be a phenomenon with all of the residual Star Wars hype. Halo 5 will eat into some of their marketshare on the XBox end. Rainbow Six Seige could be the console equivalent to CSGO. They don't have free reign over the shooter market like last year, when MCC was borked, Destiny sucked, and Battlefield delayed itself.

GeeDuhb

Games have always released on a Friday here in the UK. Tuesday seems like such a random day.

Ah, well there you go. I thought I remembered hearing that more international releases happened on Fridays as well.

I think the main reason they do it on Tuesday is, Movie (DVD/Bluray) releases and music releases have always been Tuesday here in the US (Movies are released Tuesday to keep them from interfering with theatrical movie releases on Friday.) I think it is when everyone has just released their stuff to capitalize on traffic that gets brought into stores on Tuesday.

BO2 came out 6 days after Halo4 and we all know what happened there, I don't think Activision are worried about Halo.. at all. Battlefront maybe, but if that's the case wouldn't it be best to release it on a Tuesday and get it even further away from it?

I really can't see it being a Friday release.

Actually i never think about worrying or not when i reply, i just find out this is pretty nice balance.

Bsigg12

It would be hilarious if the 11/6 date was digital copies with physical copies releasing that following Tuesday. Activision making a push to get more people going digital to get the game early is something I actually expect them to do at some point.

GeeDuhb

Actually i never think about worrying or not when i reply, i just find out this is pretty nice balance.

I actually think it is a really good point. Having 2 games come out too close to each other might make customers chose one over the other, be it for money reasons, not wanting to play so many games at once, etc.

It would be hilarious if the 11/6 date was digital copies with physical copies releasing that following Tuesday. Activision making a push to get more people going digital to get the game early is something I actually expect them to do at some point.

That would actually be a brilliant marketing plan to push digital

It was a date chosen for practical reasons (trucks don't drive on weekends, and retailers wanted product as early in the week as possible. Thus Tuesday) - and just kind of stuck around. In the digital era, it really doesn't matter.

Chris1

You do realize Skyrim launched on a Friday and so did The Order plus a TON of Nintendo games. It's not that uncommon.

It's not unheard of to release on a Friday. Actually The Order just released on a Friday and The Last of Us originally released on a Friday.

Yea it seems I'm mistaken. From the UK so almost all releases outside of a few exceptions are a Friday so I didn't notice anything really different with those Plus I don't have a PS3/4 so I didn't pay much attention to their release dates begin with.

I still don't think it will be Friday though.. I can't see it.. I guess we'll find out Sunday for sure.

Gears of War 1 remake with dedicated servers
0c97a92ccffc70133e490c3e064f8f311d049ba51b88af152c5997db5e79f3a6.jpg

It was a date chosen for practical reasons (trucks don't drive on weekends, and retailers wanted product as early in the week as possible. Thus Tuesday) - and just kind of stuck around. In the digital era, it really doesn't matter.

Uhh since when dont trucks drive on the weekend? I use to drive an 18 wheeler and I stayed driving on the weekends.

It was:

Sony having the trailers up first
No CoD Champs next year (Xbox sponsored 1m tourney)

I have seen nothing to suggest we won't see another cod champs they announced this years rather late. You got a link or proof?

The whole marketing deal thing is annoying I can't read anything about blop3 with out seeing console warriors bullshit. I may actually preorder if we get beta access.

GeeDuhb

Uhh since when dont trucks drive on the weekend? I use to drive an 18 wheeler and I stayed driving on the weekends.

I think he was probably referring more to the fact that freight deliveries don't usually take place on the weekends (at least not without much higher fees.)

I have seen nothing to suggest we won't see another cod champs they announced this years rather late. You got a link or proof?

The whole marketing deal thing is annoying I can't read anything about blop3 with out seeing console warriors bullshit. I may actually preorder if we get beta access.

Scumpi said in his post champs vlog they were told they don't know if there will be one next year, where as after the 2014 one they were told there would be one for the next title.

EL CUCO

If the reason for the beta is to stress test new servers, I'm all in.

Blops 2 connectivity was poopoo. Hopefully Treyarch is looking to improve on that.

MilesTeg

Banned

Would be interesting to see the effect on retail sales if this were the case. Digital releasing the weekend before would push many CoD fans to go digital. Hell I would definitely jump on it if it means I get to play four days earlier plus the weekend.

Fracas

#fuckonami
My friend who works at GS sent this picture to me a few hours ago and told me not to say anything. Glad Activision is finally letting COD have a beta. I might actually buy it this year if its good.

This isnt even a big deal in my book. The beta my friend got access to last night is the real news. Sadly his Gamertag is plastered all over the picture. But I'll say MS has a build of a HUGE franchise already playable and its not Halo.

Oh fuck I totally missed this one LOL

I have the email in my inbox and everything

Eggbok

PS marketing = PS CoD fans don't have to wait about a month or so to get DLC, the actual bullshit. Hopefully there isn't any this time no matter who has it.

Top Bottom