• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Black Ops 3 beta for pre-orders/ release date 11.6.15 (on a Friday)

At least it seems like they're combating the criticism that the exo suit jumping was stupid when combined with the shitty map design but I just don't buy that you can be successful without it. Then what the fuck is the point of it if there's no advantage? For people who wanna bounce around?

I'd rather them do a traditional controls only playlist. Guarantee you it carries the most players.

El_Chino

Movement felt great. Some people are just upset that something changed in a CoD game for once.

tumblr_m43fmnEFfl1rqfhi2o1_400.gif

Armadilo

Banned
As long as Treyarch doesn't handicap the player's movement in the game then people would actually enjoy using these movements compared to AW who set timers for specific abilities, so YOLO Treyarch

Remark

Banned
Movement felt great. Some people are just upset that something changed in a CoD game for once.
What the fuck?

the increased jumps ruined any sort of map design AW had. doesn't help the spawn system was shit and the TTK was short as fuck.

terrible terrible game

El_Chino

What the fuck?

the increased jumps ruined any sort of map design AW had. doesn't help the spawn system was shit and the TTK was short as fuck.

terrible terrible game

Map design was at fault if anything, so if Treyarch build good enough maps we should be fine.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
What the fuck?

terrible terrible game
It was the first time since CoD4 I felt like I could actually survive a one on one fight. I've never been good at MP games, especially CoD, since I don't have ultra fast reflexes but added mobility helped me a good deal.

I also thought the campaign was one of the best in the series from a gameplay standpoint.

Remark

Banned
Map design was at fault if anything, so if Treyarch build good enough maps we should be fine.
I would agree with this. If we can get a good spawn system, better maps and a higher TTK I'm cool.

It was the first time since CoD4 I felt like I could actually survive a one on one fight. I've never been good at MP games, especially CoD, since I don't have ultra fast reflexes but added mobility helped me a good deal.

I also thought the campaign was one of the best in the series from a gameplay standpoint.
No, no it wasn't. It was ok but nowhere near the best imo.

Also you could probably survive one on one's due to that horrible TTK and host advantages which were so fucking prevalent. Put me off AW so much.

pelican

Gaming launching on a Friday isn't unusual if you are in the UK and that is when the majority of our games hit the stores.

Remark

Banned
You are wrong and full of wrong opinions
NOPE.

Tell me how I jump into S&D and every single person hoppin' to the middle so basically games were short as fuck and S&D was basically rendered useless tactially-wise. You don't get that intense feeling anymore at. Shit was horrible.

Nvzman

I think some of you are assuming this will be AW exos. Considering that both screenshots showed boots on ground, I think it just means it's faster but you move more Unreal-y.
TBH I think it is AW'S horrible netcode that ruined exos.

In all honesty the movement system in AW is flawed, but to say it had a negative effect on map design is plain wrong. The best thing about AW's maps is the offer of verticality, the ability to climb on a roof or totally skip using a ladder to get on a walk way, it has literally added another level to maps.

The flawed part of the movement, in my opinion anyway, is the dodge/strafe part. It allowed people to traverse the maps in next to no time and really took tactics away from the game (yes guys, there are tactics in COD, weird i know lol) as you could just strafe and dodge everyone. Even worse is that on a bad connection, a strafing player is pretty much untouchable.

In all honesty the movement system in AW is flawed, but to say it had a negative effect on map design is plain wrong. The best thing about AW's maps is the offer of verticality, the ability to climb on a roof or totally skip using a ladder to get on a walk way, it has literally added another level to maps.

The flawed part of the movement, in my opinion anyway, is the dodge/strafe part. It allowed people to traverse the maps in next to no time and really took tactics away from the game (yes guys, there are tactics in COD, weird i know lol) as you could just strafe and dodge everyone. Even worse is that on a bad connection, a strafing player is pretty much untouchable.
What's the point of verticality if there's no strategic value to it? Everyone jumped around like monkeys hip firing because of the "verticality". The maps were poorly designed.

Nvzman

Actually I'm the opposite: I hated the vertical aspects but I thought boost dodging was great.

blacklabel93

Neo Member
I didn't play AW. What was bad about the movement?
There was no coherence between gameplay and map design. Also it brought strategy to a new low as everyone was scattered all over the place and just felt like a huge mess. Choke points were non existent.

What's the point of verticality if there's no strategic value to it? Everyone jumped around like monkeys hip firing because of the "verticality". The maps were poorly designed.

There can be strategic value to it, giving players a better vantage point and other paths, but Sledgehammer got it wrong. Personally i would have jump points that allowed you to reach higher paths but also meant you weren't able to use them anywhere else, a bit like an advanced version of mantling.

shameful opinions
I'll fight you right now breh.

The maps weren't designed for it. I firmly believe that. If treyarch can honestly design maps where it makes no difference if you use it or don't use it (don't see how that's possible) then I'll give them props but I feel like someone's getting screwed. Either the people that like it (booo you guys) or the people that don't. I can't grasp how everyone can win here.

kevin1025

Banned
I would agree with this. If we can get a good spawn system, better maps and a higher TTK I'm cool.

No, no it wasn't. It was ok but nowhere near the best imo.

Also you could probably survive one on one's due to that horrible TTK and host advantages which were so fucking prevalent. Put me off AW so much.

What is the best Call of Duty to you?

There was no coherence between gameplay and map design. Also it brought strategy to a new low as everyone was scattered all over the place and just felt like a huge mess. Choke points were non existent.

So basically no camping and you need to keep moving around the map..? Wasn't that always the bane of Call of Duty? Camping or "strategic placement", whatever you want to call it. Unless there's more?

Hip Hop

I feel like most people that liked the new movement were ex-fans of the series, or those that didn't follow the series a whole lot.

The people that play COD regularly weren't a fan of the whole EXO movement. That's how I see it.

Kill3r7

I feel like most people that liked the new movement were ex-fans of the series, or those that didn't follow the series a whole lot.

The people that play COD regularly weren't a fan of the whole EXO movement. That's how I see it.

If you only played COD sure but if you also played Halo or Titanfall then you would appreciate the freedom of movement.

Eggbok

What about me? I play CoD all the time and really liked EXO movement. I don't think it's nearly as bad as people make it out to be.

Kyoufu

To be honest, whenever I watch AW gameplay videos I can't help but think it looks fun. Mainly because of the movement.

edit: I think I posted in the wrong BO3 thread. Oh well.

Can we put "GameStop" in the OP title, mods?

I got so excited when I thought I could do this through BB.
Guess I can pre order with GS and cancel though

BokehKing

Banned
Probably COD4

Second probably BLOPS2.
Maps were great in COD4, but there was a lot wrong with cod4 (3x frag, noob tube enemy team at start of match, martyrdom, acog sniper)

There was a lot of good though (weapon variety, maps, dlc even if it only was one map pack, imagine we had more)

As much as I love blops2
Black ops 1 was the anti mw2 and felt more like cod4 to me, so that was my favorite (plus everything it introduced)

sonto340

At least it seems like they're combating the criticism that the exo suit jumping was stupid when combined with the shitty map design but I just don't buy that you can be successful without it. Then what the fuck is the point of it if there's no advantage? For people who wanna bounce around?

I'd rather them do a traditional controls only playlist. Guarantee you it carries the most players.
AW has a classic playlist and it's a wasteland.

legacyzero

Banned

Because it changed for the worse. Sure, movement felt great, but I feel it messed up the flow of the COD formula, when they were seemingly trying to keep that same formula. Maps were kinda tiny, crampy, limiting (Strangely with the "verticality" that they were going for).

And one of the greater aspects of COD MP was having a decent idea of where the enemy was on the battlefield (Post patches to fix shitty spawns).

With the new exo movements, map control, and situation awareness were severely diminished because people could bounce around all the fuck they wanted approaching from many different angles. Sure it played fun, but it didn't do the formula justice.

I really think it needed bigger, less crampy maps, to really let it shine. To it's credit, the maps were hardly symmetrical, which is amazing. Fuck Black Ops 2 for shitting up it's multiplayer with mostly symmetrical maps.

Jesus it's been YEARS since they did a beta. World at War I think was the last

This strikes me as odd.

I really think this new COD is going to have to reinvent the formula like COD4 did for the franchise way back when. Perhaps they're attempting to do that, and they're trying to make a splash with a beta.

And maybe. JUST FUCKING MAYBE, they'll give us ACTUAL Dedicated Servers. Not that "Listen Server" shit that they seem to think is the same thing.

Top Bottom