• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor/confirmed - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare is 1080p on PS4, and 900p on XB1.

If we are only discussing resolution then Ok, guys this game runs at a lower res on the Xbox One

In the thread titled "Rumor/confirmed - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare is 1080p on PS4, and 900p on XB1", I think we are talking about resolution yes

What do we actually say? Shouldn't thus thread just be the ops comment and then maybe one person stating that the Xbox One version is running at a lower res. Then what can actually be said?

Discussion as to why there is a difference?

This isn't true, especially in shooters. Seeing players in the distance becomes much easier at higher resolutions. DICE actually removed prone from BC2 in part because players were too difficult to see on consoles when they went prone. Even earlier it was mentioned that a well known CoD Youtubter (Drift0r) would complain about how difficult it was to pick enemies out in the distance in Ghosts, and that was because of the resolution. It's fine if you want the Xbox One version of the game, but don't make it out like it has no impact on gameplay.

I see no difference between picking out enemies on the ps4 version or the Xbone version....sounds like driftor needs to go to a doctor

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
In the thread titled "Rumor/confirmed - Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare is 1080p on PS4, and 900p on XB1", I think we are talking about resolution yes

Discussion as to why there is a difference?

The reason is the Xbox One has a weaker graphics card and slower ram. The same reason it was running at a lower res 12 months ago. There we go. Are we done. Thread over?

le.phat

The reason is the Xbox One has a weaker graphics card and slower ram. The same reason it was running at a lower res 12 months ago. There we go. Are we done. Thread over?

Last year, the there was a sizeable gap between the X1 and the PS4's version of COD, but it was launch software.
Fastforward a year, and the devs have gotten a lot more comfortable with the hardware, there have been hardware unlocks and updated SKU's, but the gap is still sizeable. I think there is more then enough material to talk about. Will you please permit us to talk about it some more ?

I wouldn't be surprised if by this time next year CoD will have parity in resolutions, MS is making some nice strides to get their SDK cooking.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Exactly.

The resolution was never a problem in older CODS.

Someone once told me call of duty was sold on the ps3. There was a few of them and it sold millions. It was supposed a lower res than the other available versions but it still sold loads and people shot other people a lot over the Internet and guess what? They were sometimes at the other end of a map... And no one complained... Can you believe it? It was like 540p,s or less. Deffo less o's than the competition.

Can I dig up those individual resolution threads for cod last gen? I want to do research?

Is there threads like "black ops 2 600p on xbox 360 and 500p confirmed on ps3"?

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Last year, the there was a sizeable gap between the X1 and the PS4's version of COD, but it was launch software.
Fastforward a year, and the devs have gotten a lot more comfortable with the hardware, there have been hardware unlocks and updated SKU's, but the gap is still sizeable. I think there is more then enough material to talk about. Will you please permit us to talk about it some more ?

So you don't know the reason there is a gap? Please continue :) I kid *hugs*

Oops double post

The 1080p vs 900p gap is pretty much what every sane person expects,
and what i expect every dev that wants my money to deliver on current gen consoles.
Now what more is there to talk about with resolution,
if we could look past that resolution gap we could make some better comparisons
like what lighting effects are going on, how accurate are the shadows.
You know the more interesting stuff where i can learn new stuff :)

What do we actually say? Shouldn't thus thread just be the ops comment and then maybe one person stating that the Xbox One version is running at a lower res. Then what can actually be said?
Well, in that case we could close the majority of threats. Applying this logic we could even condense the NPD-threats to posting the numbers, because most assumptions or comments are redundant anyway.
We have a topic, and it is the resolution of a certain game on 2 consoles. So, commenting on resolution and drawing conclusions from that has something to do with the headline. Comments about friends lists - not so much (but you can post them if you like).
But if you are annoied of just another of these resolution-discussions... Just read the threat titel and avoid it. What do you expect?

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
The 1080p vs 900p gap is pretty much what every sane person expects.
Now what more is there to talk about with resolution, now if we could look past that resolution gap we could make some better comparisons like lighting effects that are going on or shadowmap resolution you know the more interesting stuff where i can learn new stuff :)

No! 1080p is easy to digest and all I need to argue

Duxxy3

I see no difference between picking out enemies on the ps4 version or the Xbone version....sounds like driftor needs to go to a doctor

There is a difference when picking out targets between the two, but the underlying problem is that ghosts uses lots of browns and greys (and greens when you're in prison break).

So a lot of the time you don't notice an extra shape 50 feet away sitting in a shadow. The game also has extra layers of dust and haze as well. Basically it's a pain in the ass to pick out targets in the game, regardless of platform.

Advanced Warfare doesn't look like it has that problem. It has a lot more color, and things stick out.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Well, in that case we could close the majority of threats. Applying this logic we could even condense the NPD-threats to posting the numbers, because most assumptions or comments are redundant anyway.
We have a topic, and it is the resolution of a certain game on 2 consoles. So, commenting on resolution and drawing conclusions from that has something to do with the headline. Comments about friends lists - not so much (but you can post them if you like).
But if you are annoied of just another of these resolution-discussions... Just read the threat titel and avoid it. What do you expect?

I'm not annoyed I just wonder what can actually be said now. We know the Xbox One has a weaker gpu. We know it has slower ram. We know it has too small a pool of es ram. Do we just make these threads and say that over and over again in a loop for eternity?

If you don't want to discuss this, then why come into the thread about discussing it?

Edit: I get what you are saying (after reading the rest of the thread). Disregard comment.

NHale

If we are only discussing resolution then Ok, guys this game runs at a lower res on the Xbox One

Let's see the title of the thread. Resolution? Don't see such stuff. I see friends and console wars area, so you are safe to keep fighting those blue infidels...

EDIT: Oh Jaysimple is already having another meltdown. Long generation for him it seems.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
If you don't want to discuss this, then why come into the thread about discussing it?

What is there to discuss? That is all I'm just asking what can be added? There is nothing that can be done to change the hardware now. We could hope ms could get better support but I doubt they will get above 900p on a lot of occasions. Ps4 is a more powerful piece of hardware. Better designed internally. Xbox one can try to get close but it can't match it. It never will.

I'm not annoyed I just wonder what can actually be said now. We know the Xbox One has a weaker gpu. We know it has slower ram. We know it has too small a pool of es ram. Do we just make these threads and say that over and over again in a loop for eternity?

The new news, new thread rule if im not mistaken.
Its not so bad, but a Resolution OT like the console sim racer comparison thread
would be nice to have and easier to bookmark or subscribe too.

Edit:Since DF is the defacto graphics comparison site i don't mind
seeing a new thread when they have published a DF vs Game X article.
At least you can talk about more then only resolution.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Let's see the title of the thread. Resolution? Don't see such stuff. I see friends and console wars area, so you are safe to keep fighting those blue infidels...

EDIT: Oh Jaysimple is already having another meltdown. Long generation for him it seems.

I never have meltdowns :D I wish we could have vocal discussions. You would see how straight forward I am. I like debating. And I'm a very happy person all the time :) I'm just Legitimately at a loss as to what can be added to resolution discussions that havnt been said a million times already :D

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Just get a browser plugin that allows you to hide threads you don't like but are compelled to keep clicking and engaging them.

Some just want to hear the good old songs over and over again, some want to feel better by proclaiming stuff.
But i guess, even if sometimes the discussion seems wrung out, there are enough people who talked about closing gaps because of directX, kinect and whatever (plus the AC parity-discussion). So there is at least some news here just because there is no news...

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
The new news, new thread rule if im not mistaken.
Its not so bad, but a Resolution OT like the console sim racer comparison thread
would be nice to have and easier to bookmark or subscribe too.

Here here. Can I second a resolution OT? just post all this stuff in there?

There is a difference when picking out targets between the two, but the underlying problem is that ghosts uses lots of browns and greys (and greens when you're in prison break).

So a lot of the time you don't notice an extra shape 50 feet away sitting in a shadow. The game also has extra layers of dust and haze as well. Basically it's a pain in the ass to pick out targets in the game, regardless of platform.

Advanced Warfare doesn't look like it has that problem. It has a lot more color, and things stick out.

Agree we the pallette choices. ....especially when your teams running round in wookie suits

The pallette is very black ops 2

Only time I did notice a difference with targets was on bf4 picking off sniper spawn campers but cod....The maps are not large enough to distort things

AmyS

PS4 is always going to come out on top in terms of resolution and performance.

Nevermind for a second that PS4 GPU has ~40% more FLOPs performance. That GPU also has just about double the pixel fillrate as the Xbox One GPU:

25.6 Billion pixels/sec vs 13.6 Billion pixels/sec. 'Nuff said.

On PS4 I'd expect CoD: AW to be native 1080p60 in MP and 60fps most of the time in SP, with a few dips here and there.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Some just want to hear the good old songs over and over again, some want to feel better by proclaiming stuff.
But i guess, even if sometimes the discussion seems wrung out, there are enough people who talked about closing gaps because of directX, kinect and whatever (plus the AC parity-discussion). So there is at least some news here just because there is no news...

Hey I love the Xbox One. Anyone who thinks there's some magical juice there is delirious tho. Ms and their fans have to live with this gen and Expect the Xbox One versions of games to come up short compared to the ps4 version. If they think ms can fix it through software then I don't know what to say to them. The ps4 is a well designed beast of a console. Xbox one is very good but a pain and no where near as well designed on the hardware front. That's the simple fact of all this. I expect resolution differences now. I'm sure we all do. Luckily good games aren't defined by a resolution. I'm sure it can add to a game. A turd is a turd no matter it's res. :)

pixlexic

Banned
Hey I love the Xbox One. Anyone who thinks there's some magical juice there is delirious tho. Ms and their fans have to live with this gen and Expect the Xbox One versions of games to come up short compared to the ps4 version. If they think ms can fix it through software then I don't know what to say to them. The ps4 is a well designed beast of a console. Xbox one is very good but a pain and no where near as well designed on the hardware front. That's the simple fact of all this. I expect resolution differences now. I'm sure we all do. Luckily good games aren't defined by a resolution. I'm sure it can add to a game. A turd is a turd no matter it's res. :)

is anyone saying there is magic juice in the xbone?

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
is anyone saying there is magic juice in the xbone?

I hope not. I thought that's what someone said. That people had been saying ms would find some way to close the gap using direct x, kinect reserve etc. They've got from 720 to 900 on killer instinct and now cod. So I think that's the best we will get. Like someone said. If they could hit 1080p on this cod they would do

Pennywise

Grimløck;136669300 said:
i don't understand why it's so difficult for some to understand this. if you have nothing to contribute to the discussion but tangential comments, why bother?

Some people just need to express their "opinion" on nearly every topic.
Somehow they tend to ignore topics they're not really interested in, but stumble across those that seem to activate some kind of anger for whatever reason.

What resolution does the 360 version will run? This game does not look impressions at all, how can people call this a next gen game when it is also realising on old gen systems. What's going to be better on Xone and PS4 besides resolution and textures? It is not like the game is impossible on old gen systems

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
PS4 is always going to come out on top in terms of resolution and performance.

Nevermind for a second that PS4 GPU has ~40% more FLOPs performance. That GPU also has just about double the pixel fillrate as the Xbox One GPU:

25.6 Billion pixels vs 13.6 Billion pixels.

'Nuff said.

On PS4 I'd expect CoD: AW to be native 1080p60 in MP and 60fps most of the time in SP, with a few dips here and there.

That's pretty nice to see. None of the COD games last gen were even close to native res outside of COD2.

agree. Game quality is king. But nevertheless let them discuss resolution in a resolution threat when there was some news about resolution.
I am sure the difference in resolution will not make the game on XBox suddenly unplayable or ugly. So please stop worrying.

AmyS

Last gen, the Xbox 360 GPU (Xenos) and the PS3 GPU (RSX) had the same number of ROPs (raster operation units). They each had 8.

But think for a second, imagine if either of them had twice the ROPs of the other.

That is exactly the situation we are in this gen.

Conduit

Banned

Well said, but there are some people on some blog who think the opposite and they won't give up. :-D

Mugatu

Exactly - my friends are mostly on XBL so that's where I'll get this. It will still look great and even 12 billion pixels won't change that fact. Unless I see them side by side I won't know the difference anyway.

Noobcraft

If it was 720p v 1080p I'd probably go with the ps4 version but I honestly don't care when it's just 900p vs 1080p. The difference is pretty minimal and all the gameplay shown was on the Xbox One version and has looked great.

jams_shop

IT'S GO TIME!
05-17sb-van3E340F20_Page.jpg

With a good writer and cast, that could turn out be an amazing TV show.

RexNovis

Banned
Everytime I read through a resolution thread I can't help but imagine there is some sort of email notification list that alerts any and all Xbox faithful to come to the defense of their lesser performing console by shit posting, thread whining and generally obfuscating. Perhaps it's something like this:

Subject: Xbots ASSEMBLE!

My Dearest XBots,

It has come to my attention that yet another resolution disparity thread has been created on GAF. This time it is concerning Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare running at 900p whilst running at 1080p on PS4. We have gone to great lengths this year to diminish the dialogue of "the power gap" and once again I request your help in both further diminishing that dialogue and ensuring confusion and obfuscation so that CoD will remain strongly associated with our Xbox brand. This can be accomplished by posting in the thread with the following:

1. The ecosystem of friends: You are all familiar with this one. Simply make the completely unrelated and tangential observation that all your friends are on Xbox so resolution doesn't matter anyways. It has been met with quite a bit of success lately when used in other multiplatform disparity threads despite being entirely unrelated to the topic at hand.

2. Graphics vs Gameplay: Emphasize the importance of gameplay over graphical presentation. We all secretly know that this is a pointless observation since gameplay will be equal on both platforms and the only differences will boil down to overall performance and presentation but some minds may be won by this basic downplaying the importance of graphical polish. This is of course is at odds with our frequent objections to "pixellated indie garbage" but few will actually bother to look at your post history to argue that. Feel free to use the age old "A turd is a turd no matter how polished" with whatever embellishment you see fit.

3. Better online infrastructure: When facts are not in your favor one of the best ways to win an argument is to rely on ethereal statements that cannot, in good conscience, be proven true or false. "Xbox live runs better" is such a statement and many may even give it credence thanks to recent DDoS attacks on PSN (Thank you lizard squad!) and the developer debacle that is Driveclub. We know that these have little to actually do with the quality of the service as a whole and that both services use the same server setup for this particular game but its hard to argue with a completely subjective statement so let fly the dogs of supposed server inequality.

4. IGN blindman bluff: The old faithful. The tried and true. "Who can really tell the difference between ____p and 1080p anyway? I certainly don't notice it." More pixels is always better by why would it matter if you couldn't notice the difference. The success of this bluff owes itself to its subjectivity. Who can say for sure how you perceive things? Only yourself for certain. So, there's no real way to defeat this argument except the use of common sense or unless your post history shows you saying otherwise.

5. The foregone conclusion: This is a new one we've been trying out recently. The basic idea is that you can argue that resolution threads are pointless because the performance gap between the consoles are a foregone conclusion at this point. Hopefully this will lead to fewer resolution disparity threads as a whole and allow for more obfuscation int he absence of facts in the future. In short, thread shit now to prevent future informed consumers. This one might be a bit risky though. Mods don't take kindly to pointless complaints and thread whining so tread carefully and be sure to sprinkle in reasonable observatory comments cementing yourself as a genuine contributor in some form.

Remember we are counting on you to obfuscate and defend at all costs. As always thanks for all your hard work and effort this past year. We wouldn't be where we are today without it. Keep up the good work!

Your friend and fellow Xbox faithful,
Mellow X-Fellow Penello
This message brought to you by the letter S as in SARCASM since we all know this done completely free of charge and encouragement which makes it even more depressing

BokehKing

Banned
Someone once told me call of duty was sold on the ps3. There was a few of them and it sold millions. It was supposed a lower res than the other available versions but it still sold loads and people shot other people a lot over the Internet and guess what? They were sometimes at the other end of a map... And no one complained... Can you believe it? It was like 540p,s or less. Deffo less o's than the competition.

Can I dig up those individual resolution threads for cod last gen? I want to do research?

Is there threads like "black ops 2 600p on xbox 360 and 500p confirmed on ps3"?
Welcome to 2014, COD of all games should be hitting 1080p no problem. I have had a 1080p TV for years now, I want my moneys worth

lmbotiva

i wish the gafers that have the game would post some pictures, im so hyped for this game the media that's out there is not enough for me lol

You're reaching speedybluedude's level of quality, keep it going.

Can't wait for the head to head, to see the framerate performance.

If it was 720p v 1080p I'd probably go with the ps4 version but I honestly don't care when it's just 900p vs 1080p. The difference is pretty minimal and all the gameplay shown was on the Xbox One version and has looked great.

Minimal? You can't seriously believe tat even if you've been able to analyse footage of each version side-by-side (which you haven't).

Hawk269

I think you just don't get how games and software, especially SDK's are used. Granted, GPU vs GPU we all know the PS4 is more powerful, but improvements in how dev's use the Xbox One can help improve games. We have proof in games like Diable and Destiny which were initially 900p games. Granted, they are not the most graphically impressive games, it does go to show that through software and improvements things can improve. The Xbox One also uses ESRAM, which for some dev's have been harder than others to deal with, the more MS improves SDK's, the better game can be,

Now, Sony will continue to also improve their SDK's as well, so there will still be a gap, but it is naïve for you to think that they can't improve. To your own post, you state it is a pain to develop for, well that is what newer SDK's do, it makes things easier for devs.

Anybody actually questioning why there's a difference clearly doesn't know much about these systems and has been living under a rock.

Discussing the difference itself is another matter.

Yeah, thats a better way to put it. We know that the X1 is less powerful, but we can still discuss the effect that will have on games.

Top Bottom