• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Destiny of Spirits is for PS4 by From Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Isn't the true souls team working on Dark Souls 2? From Software or not, there was a specific core of staff that made the series what it was no?

The same team is working on the game, but the director, Hidetaka Miyazaki, moved onto a new game.

This could be that game he has been working on.

It should be mentioned that Miyazaki has some kind of role in overseeing Dark Souls II development, but how much influence he has in the production of the game has been questioned several times.

AznSniper

Demon's Souls 2, if it exists, will have From involved, regardless of which platform it's on. Sony is not going to develop it without them - they can't. Their Japanese studios wouldn't be able to pull it off even if they wanted to. Sony Japan is worthless.

Actually I wouldn't worry about Japan Studios now. They have Allan Becker (founder of Sony Santa Monica) as the head of the studio since 2011, and we are finally seeing the fruits of his work (Rain, Puppeteer, Freedom Wars, etc.). I think Japan Studios can hold on their own. We may finally see The Last Guardian being pushed out with Becker's direction.

Actually I wouldn't worry about Japan Studios now. They have Allan Becker (founder of Sony Santa Monica) as the head of the studio since 2011, and we are finally seeing the fruits of his work (Rain, Puppeteer, Freedom Wars, etc.). I think Japan Studios can hold on their own. We may finally see The Last Guardian being pushed out with Becker's direction.

We'll see. So far I see a bunch of niche games out of them, just like Tokyo Jungle was. Nothing that really shows SCEJ's old-school power, and no RPGs like they used to make.

There's the rumored GG RPG.

I can't imagine GG is going to be able to maintain a major RPG franchise and Killzone at the same time. They're talented, but they're not gods. They might be able to do a one-off, but Sony needs a studio on deck that can support a series of RPGs.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
We'll see. So far I see a bunch of niche games out of them, just like Tokyo Jungle was. Nothing that really shows SCEJ's old-school power, and no RPGs like they used to make.

I can't imagine GG is going to be able to maintain a major RPG franchise and Killzone at the same time. They're talented, but they're not gods.

They might be able to do a one-off, but Sony needs a studio on deck to make a series of RPGs.

They have three teams now. One is working on Killzone SF, the other a new IP, and Cambridge is doing KZ Mercenary.

Boss Man

Honestly wish I hadn't seen this. No other game is going to live up to what this would be, so if it's fake E3 will be a bit disappointing no matter what. Someone please debunk this quick and get the pain out of the way now.

They have three teams now. One is working on Killzone, the other a new IP, and Cambridge is doing KZ Mercenary.

How big IS Guerrilla? Three teams is a lot of people. Still, they'd need probably two of those teams working together to make an RPG with any substance to it.

I just don't know. Maybe it'll happen, but at this rate we won't see or hear about it until next year at the absolute earliest, and it's going to suck if the PS4's entire first year goes completely RPG-less. And I'm still not convinced Guerrilla can support and maintain two franchises with such distinct, different aims at the same time.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
How big IS Guerrilla? Three teams is a lot of people. Still, they'd need probably two of those teams working together to make an RPG with any substance to it.

I just don't know. Maybe it'll happen, but at this rate we won't see or hear about it until next year at the absolute earliest, and it's going to suck if the PS4's entire first year goes completely RPG-less. And I'm still not convinced Guerrilla can support and maintain two franchises with such distinct, different aims at the same time.

They have about 250 that their main branch and 100 in Cambridge. The new IP has been in development since KZ3 and I bet a good number of the SF team will move over to the new IP once SF is out.

Armored Core PS4. A PS4 port of Dark Souls 2. Plenty of things.

That being said, I don't think From hates Sony. Namco swooped in on them when they were shopping Dark Souls around, it wasn't anything malicious. The game was still a PS3 exclusive in Japan.

Echo Night 4.

; _ ;

Izick

Well, there's the likelihood of a new FF, Witcher 3, and Lords of the Fallen so far. Not great, but not a bad start. Not to mention there will likely be announcements of stuff at E3.

hteng

Banned
Fromsoft is already current working on an AC game set to launch in Sept for the PS3, they probably won't have another AC for the PS4 launch, just saying.

They have about 250 that their main branch and 100 in Cambridge. The new IP has been in development since KZ3 and I bet a good number of the SF team will move over to the new IP once SF is out.

That is big. Even so, I can't imagine this RPG of theirs - if it exists - will be out any earlier than late 2014, most likely mid-2015 if we're being realistic though. And that's all dependent on whether Shadow Fall actually makes it at launch.

Well, there's the likelihood of a new FF, Witcher 3, and Lords of the Fallen so far. Not great, but not a bad start. Not to mention there will likely be announcements of stuff at E3.

Sad part is that all of those games won't be out for a long time either. I was really hoping PS4 would come roaring out of the gate with at least one major RPG, preferably an exclusive one.

Found on 4chan.
Grammatical errors and inconsistencies.
Doubted by famousmortimer.
Description so vague yet convoluted it's practically invisible.
From working on other stuff.

I'm leaning towards fake.

Hope it's true... Guessing it's fake. Minimal expectations to avoid disappointment!

My first thought was 'why isn't this Demon's Souls 2' as well. But in retrospect, I would guess hat From agreed to work with Sony again provided the game was not called Demon's Souls 2, in order to avoid creating confusion with their own Dark Souls brand.

luffeN

I think the guideline has always been "system" instead of "console". At least it it so when you translate PS3 terms.

Edit: Yep, it has to be PlayStation(r)4 system instead of console. If it is an official pitch or whatever I guess that people working on PS games know that.

AznSniper

Reading that description again and it does sound like it's a fake, it's almost rambling on.

I hope I'm wrong.

Either way, Destiny of Spirits is definitely a game trademarked by Sony. Just a matter of who the developer is, what kind of game is it, and what platform is it for.

I've been trying to decide where to make my first post on NeoGAF, and this seemed like as good a place as any!

Demon's Souls is in my top 3 favorite games of all time, I liked it better than Dark Souls. I hope so much that this leak is real! It's probably not, and I'm trying so hard not to get my hopes up, but I can feel my hype levels raising slowly... Help!!!

I would like to add that Miyazaki said he'd like to do a game that wasn't so dark and was more lighter, colorful. (From Edge interview, I believe.) So something along the lines of Demon's Souls and Monster Hunter does sound plausible, especially as designers tend to circle back to the same ideas, which would explain the Nexus reappearing.

It may be Miyazaki's game, but the description itself may be fake. So excited!

If true, Sony sure is a smart company /sarcasm
Demon's Souls 2 is only a bad idea if From isn't involved. And I doubt any company would be dumb enough to alienate a third party by doing something like that.

A new Demon's Souls (whether a spiritual successor or not) near launch would be the perfect opportunity to establish a foothold among the "core" (especially given that any potential multiplatform Dark Souls 3 would be like a 2016 release at the earliest).

Siegmeyer

Regardless if this is real or not, the thread has still reminded me that Miyazaki has been working on something secret, and maybe we'll find out more about that in a few days.

Takao

Banned
What's not smart about making a sequel to one of the most beloved games of this past generation? Better that than another shooter nobody's going to buy, right?

It's the platform choice. I can't imagine Scamco will be pleased by this, then again it appears Sony's making "I can't believe it's not God Eater!".

Well either way, a new Souls game on PS4 would be playable on Vita via remote play so I'll be happy then. Still, a Souls-esque game made for Vita would be amazing, but I'm not holding my breath. As far as Vita support goes, I'll believe it when I see it.

Kyoufu

It's the platform choice. I can't imagine Scamco will be pleased by this, then again it appears Sony's making "I can't believe it's not God Eater!".

I'm confused. Why aren't Sony allowed to make a PS4 sequel to a PS3 game?

Durante

I think the guideline has always been "system" instead of "console". At least it it so when you translate PS3 terms.

Edit: Yep, it has to be PlayStation(r)4 system instead of console. If it is an official pitch or whatever I guess that people working on PS games know that.
That pretty much confirms it as fake IMHO. Official text is always extremely prickly about things like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom