• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Disney interested in making Banjo-Kazooie film

Illucio

Banned
Any life to Banjo would be appreciated; but a movie? Banjo should have a Saturday morning cartoon show, that would be fitting.

Gartooth

I don't think Banjo-Kazooie would even work with voice acting, it would probably sound awful.

Plus, I don't even think there was a time that Disney made an animated movie to something they didn't own... Disney buying Microsoft!

Lijik

i have to imagine they were trying to get them for a wreck it ralph 2 and somewhere along the way miscommunications led to "A Banjo Kazooie movie by the Wreck It Ralph team!" but hey weirder things have happened

also if it is real i imagine people to be on board right up until redesigns inevitably happen

Bass260

Nah...I can't see Disney pursuing the BK ip. Why split the profit.

It's the same reason Disney won't unfortunately touch a Nintendo IP. Why promote a competitor's IP? Unless you're trying to court them.

Has Nintendo been loosening up?

Every time there's any rumor of a Nintendo film or television show, the company denies it.
They've been working with some 3rd parties allowing them to use their IPs and Iwata mentioned more licensing opportunities which would fall in line with this.
The movie/TV shows haven't started coming out yet, but I think we'll see them soon enough.

Jigorath

Banned
When Disney see value in a IP, they go after it.

If someone had told me 10 years ago that Disney would be making Marvel films, I would have told them to jog on.

By the time Disney bought Marvel, comic book movies had already proven to be a big market thanks to the success of Raimi's Spider-Man, Nolan's Batman, and the Iron Man movies. This is completely different.

Richie

Can Disney really muster that classic Banjo Kazooie humor?

Hmmm, maybe if they get the fellows involved with The Emperor's New Groove.

goldenpp72

Any life to Banjo would be appreciated; but a movie? Banjo should have a Saturday morning cartoon show, that would be fitting.

hqdefault.jpg

ElTopo

Banned
What I don't get is this: if Rare/Microsoft are working on a Banjo sequel then why did several Rare employees leave and form their own company to make a spiritual sequel to Banjo? It doesn't make any sense unless they didn't like the direction the Banjo project was going in (Nuts and Bolts 2 maybe?).

Sydle

The more likely story is Microsoft approaching Disney to include Banjo in Wreck it Ralph 2, or even licensing some Disney characters to feature in the next Banjo game.

If MS wanted a full movie with Disney behind it I would look at Minecraft first.

What I don't get is this: if Rare/Microsoft are working on a Banjo sequel then why did several Rare employees leave and form their own company to make a spiritual sequel to Banjo? It doesn't make any sense unless they didn't like the direction the Banjo project was going in (Nuts and Bolts 2 maybe?).

IIRC from their EGX panel, they don't care for AAA development. They liked it when they were making games within small teams that just spit-ball ideas every day and eventually form a game, and that's how they're approaching their new game.

SykoTech

Weird. Disney usually goes for hot IPs like Marvel and Star Wars. I think most people would be like "What's a Banjo?"

Probably should have went for Sonic. Though apparently there's already a Sonic movie in the works, so I guess they were too late.

This. Banjo before DK or really anything Nintendo owns makes very little sense.

Especially right as Nintendo is starting to somewhat loosen up with what they'll do with the IPs and Disney has always been known for their creative integrity.

I'm curious, what have they been doing to "somewhat loosen up"? I remember Mario and Donkey Kong being bizarrely absent from Wreck-It Ralph. So if they couldn't even get cameos for those 2, making a whole movie using a Nintendo IP is probably not on the table.

EDIT: Just read James Scott's post. Definitely nice to see their iron grip slowly vanishing then.

Why would Nintendo be remotely interested in promoting Banjo in their game as DLC?

No, but I mean Disney specifically. They've got much, much bigger brands they could their themselves or heck, they could even create more of their own. There's no need for them to pursue any IP they don't own.

BK: 2.5 million at most
BT: Unknown
N&B: 1.5 million if we're being super extremely nice (probably only a million at most).

And people are going to believe Disney is going to do a large production around it? It's another bullshit rumor like how Nintendo was rumored to be buying BK back a year or two ago.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
This would make incredibly little business sense for Disney. Total bullshit.

Lijik

I'm curious, what have they been doing to "somewhat loosen up"? I remember Mario and Donkey Kong being bizarrely absent from Wreck-It Ralph. So if they couldn't even get cameos for those 2, making a whole movie using a Nintendo IP is probably not on the table.

they tried for mario but thought he deserved a certain amount of reverence and couldnt come up with a decent scene for him

Disney are way too smart and culturally savvy to try and revive a dead video game franchise with a new movie. Not gonna happen.

Question is, if this really does happen, they capable of duplicating the British wit and humour of Rare's writers? I know Nuts and Bolt's got slammed for a lot of reasons, but it did still have some decent writing in it.

This is really odd news though.

GnawtyDog

Banned
No, but I mean Disney specifically. They've got much, much bigger brands they could their themselves or heck, they could even create more of their own. There's no need for them to pursue any IP they don't own.

Exactly. Any IP they own they can milk freely with toys and endorsements for ads etc. No need to ask MS for the rights, cut out a deal, nor work through that negotiating process etc etc etc. Also if money rains, no need to negotiate new terms for sequels etc. In house money is the best money.

Same as Nintendo. No way you're going to market a character of your direct-competition in your game. There is absolutely no substantial gain for Nintendo from where I am sitting. There is for MS if Rare's new game is Banjo - free press and brand exposure to your main target audience. How nice.

Squire

Banned
Has Nintendo been loosening up?

Every time there's any rumor of a Nintendo film or television show, the company denies it.

The Netflix Zelda thing is probably happening in some form given that film trades don't bullshit and when he commented, Iwata didn't flat out say it wasn't happening. So, we have that, the DeNA stuff - I'm not saying there's been this huge paradigm shift, but yeah, I think they're loosening up a bit, largely out of necessity.

Fox Mulder

It does make sense to try and build up an audience before investing in development for a new BK game.

I love the series, and this would be neat.

shandy706

weird. they should go after a nintendo property or heck even fucking Sonic before they think about Banjo.
sounds wrong.

Wut?

No...an animated Disney movie would fit BK much better than Sonic.

They would fit the comedy/adventure side of Disney better than most game characters I could think of.

Top Bottom