• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Disney interested in making Banjo-Kazooie film

4Tran

I don't find this rumor very credible unless this film would be made by Disney Toons instead of Disney Animation. Disney features take years and years to put together, and they would much prefer to focus on franchises they control completely than to adapt someone else's works. The current Disney schedule is tied up until about 2020, and even then they're not going to waste their manpower on less lucrative projects like that. Finally, even if Disney were to decide to make a Banjo-Kazooie film, they're damned well not going to pull Jennifer Lee away from Frozen 2 to work on it! Seriously, would that make sense to anyone?

Ascenion

I can actually see it. In a deal kinda like what Sony got with Spiderman originally. It's not like Microsoft is likely going to merchandize Banjo and if they do, Disney gets all movie related merchandizing profits Microsoft all game, maybe split 60/40 joint ventures skewed to who ever did the most work.

Video game movies could be the next big thing, with Warcraft looking to be the first real blockbuster. Disney likely wants in and honestly this is basically getting a Nintendo property on the sly. Besides after trying with PoP and wreck it Ralph it's obvious they see value in the theme. So....plausible imo.

goldenpp72

Forgetting something?

Taken on its own merits and not as an accurate representation of the games, it was pretty decent.

Oh yeah I remember seeing the first episode of this through the 360 a long time ago, it was.. better than the DK show I suppose, so maybe the third time's the charm :p

Nanashrew

Banned
Has Nintendo been loosening up?

Every time there's any rumor of a Nintendo film or television show, the company denies it.

Well with the Zelda Netflix series thing, Iwata's words were very carefully chosen.

"As of now, I have nothing new to share with you in regard to the use of our IPs for any TV shows or films, but I can at least confirm that the article in question is not based on correct information."

So he didn't outright deny that something is happening and just said the rumor was inaccurate. I believe Nintendo is going to do something though. We got Mercedes in Mario Kart, and Mario Kart in Mercedes. DeNA is allowed to use Nintendo's IPs, and I imagine they'll try to seek out more partnerships and deals. As for TV, it's not far out there. There was a Kirby and F-Zero anime before.

I still think they should let Sunrise make a Custom Robo anime in a similar way to Gundam Build Fighters and have crossover episodes. I will die on this hill!

hawk2025

It makes no sense to do this to an intellectual property they do not control, and could not leverage in ways other than a movie.

Oddduck

Besides after trying with PoP and wreck it Ralph it's obvious they see value in the theme. So....plausible imo.

People keep saying that Disney wouldn't want to share profits with Nintendo and Microsoft.

But like you mentioned...Disney released that live action Prince of Persia film in 2010 with Jake Gyllenhall.

Not that I believe this rumor,
but the idea of Microsoft shopping around IPs to film companies isn't too unreasonable.

Banjo and DK are some of the only ones that have good characters that would transition well to film, I think.

Mario and Sonic would suck as films tbh. And Crash and Spyro have become abominations.

hawk2025

People keep saying that Disney wouldn't want to share profits with Nintendo and Microsoft.

But like you mentioned...Disney released that live action Prince of Persia film in 2010 with Jake Gyllenhall.

but the idea of Microsoft shopping around IPs to film companies isn't too unreasonable.

A live action movie doesn't have the cross-media potential of a Disney animated IP.

Sponge

Banned
I'm sorry WHAT.

I'm not going to lie, this idea crossed my mind once. I remember reading long ago Disney was one of the companies interested in buying Rare. Since ya'know, Mickey's Speedway was a thing. If a Banjo film happened, that'd be amazing.

Penguin

And that movie didn't do as well as Disney hoped, hence no sequels.

Also, why is this a rumor.
She has like 29 tweets and as far as I can tell is no real insider

Sami+

Banjo and DK are some of the only ones that have good characters that would transition well to film, I think.

Mario and Sonic would suck as films tbh. And Crash and Spyro have become abominations.

Eh Sonic's had pretty involved stories for years. Has a really large established cast, some good mythos to play with (Angel Island, Chaos Emeralds, ancient civilizations, space colony shit, etc.), and all the characters already have defined personalities and voices.

Honestly out of all the colorful cartoony platformers I think Sonic and Banjo have the most potential - certainly more than DK imo.

4Tran

Walt Disney Pictures and Walt Disney Animation Studios are very different entities with very different goals. The animated works are extremely valuable because their merchandising value can be many times more lucrative than their box office. If a film were to made of someone else's IP, they would probably have to share that merchandise income. For a live action film, this value is much smaller, and so less important.

goldenpp72

While I don't believe this rumor, it would be very possible that Disney would be able to work out a deal that's quite biased to their side considering the low level nature of the property. One that maybe MS retains a small percent of profits and the game rights, but nothing else.

From her twitter bio:
Sales representative for a small production company. (California)
My Nintendo news just reported on a random twitter account, I guess
(she's also following me?)
It's like going to gamestop and hearing a rep say: "Yo, I heard they are making an F Zero x Persona game" and talking about it on twitter. Unless she talked to someone in the know, there's not much to go on here.

Hahs

If they can pull it off in live-action I'm al for it - lol!

What the hell kind of animal is Banjo anyway?

Eh Sonic's had pretty involved stories for years. Has a really large established cast, some good mythos to play with (Angel Island, Chaos Emeralds, ancient civilizations, space colony shit, etc.), and all the characters already have defined personalities and voices.

Honestly out of all the colorful cartoony platformers I think Sonic and Banjo have the most potential - certainly more than DK imo.

Yeah but Sonic's stories are always shitty. Plus his friends suck and I'm not sure good "running fast" translates to a film.

With Banjo you got the whole witch and minion thing and the bosses in Banjo were super creative and cool. Cast is good as well.

So many Banjo-Kazooie-related things (possibly) in the works is amazing. I doubt this will actually happen, but it'd be a dream come true if it did.

Neff

Ask yourself this question and answer it sensibly.

Why in god's name would they?

Unless MS was reviving it for XB1 and wants to push hard for a big multimedia blitz and is willing to mostly finance it and let Disney take credit/distribute it.

They still wouldn't.

So many Banjo-Kazooie-related things (possibly) in the works is amazing. I doubt this will actually happen, but it'd be a dream come true if it did.

And still I bet none of it's true :/

Ask yourself this question and answer it sensibly.

Why in god's name would they?

Unless MS was reviving it for XB1 and wants to push hard for a big multimedia blitz and is willing to mostly finance it and let Disney take credit/distribute it.

They still wouldn't.

Maybe the Wreck It Ralph team is interested? They obviously have like older games.

lmao I don't believe this shit at all. MS lets the IP remain dormant for nearly a decade and now they are behind a fucking movie being made?

That's kinda what I thought as well.... Why would Disney want to make this movie??? I could see Disney making contact with lots of gaming companies to talk about licensing characters for Wreck it Ralph 2, however...

rob305

This would be the only reason I could think of. MS putting out a couple of banjo games in the future to target younger audiences and have a charismatic mascot and teaming up with disney to make banjo even more popular

Megatron

Honestly its a great candidate for a film and I hope it happens. I loved wreck it Ralph but this has more potential to me than WiR2 does.

Neff

And still I bet none of it's true :/

Maybe the Wreck It Ralph team is interested? They obviously have like older games.

It doesn't really work like that. In fact, while enthusiasm from creative teams is essential and often a catalyst for big productions getting greenlit, it still doesn't work like that.

On the one hand, if this rumour is to be believed, you have the Wreck-It Ralph team creating a movie based around a videogame IP which is all but dead and forgotten.

On the other hand, you have that same team creating a sequel to a smash hit which is guaranteed to make millions upon millions of dollars.

I'm fairly sure which scenario looks more sexy to Disney.

t26

Disney is huge on merchandise. No way they will do anything if they can't make money off merchandise

the only way i can see this being true is Microsoft offered to throw a bunch of money at them to do it and they gave it a courtesy look.

Fixed that for you!

Even still, I don't see it happening. Banjo in Ralph 2 maybe, but unless Microsoft are paying for it I doubt Disney would give a damn about Banjo.

Nanashrew

Banned
From her twitter bio:
Sales representative for a small production company. (California)
My Nintendo news just reported on a random twitter account, I guess
(she's also following me?)
It's like going to gamestop and hearing a rep say: "Yo, I heard they are making an F Zero x Persona game" and talking about it on twitter. Unless she talked to someone in the know, there's not much to go on here.

Captain Falcon in a speedo at the beach for summer vacation.

kirby_fox

Banned
Maybe Sony got the licensing deal with Nintendo and Disney doesn't want to be left behind in that field? Since Sony would have both Sony IP and Nintendo IP to make movies with, Disney could be looking to MS for their IP.

Banjo to go up against Mario at the movies would be interesting.

Maybe Sony got the licensing deal with Nintendo and Disney doesn't want to be left behind in that field? Since Sony would have both Sony IP and Nintendo IP to make movies with, Disney could be looking to MS for their IP.

Disney definitely doesn't have an IP shortage. If anything, they have too many.

I'm ok with this happening, although... you just know if it does, we aren't going to get like a high quality, new game out of it. We're probably going to get some shitty game that's about as good as any other tie-in cash-in game. In that sense, I don't know that it'd be worth it.

On the other hand, I guess I wouldn't care since I have no plans on buying an Xbox One... and if it's as good as Wreck-It Ralph, it's going to be amazing.
Although if it IS going to be treated like a tie in game, maybe we'll get really lucky and they'll release it on whatever console Nintendo has out by then. That would just feel right.

SFenton

I mean, in that event, I'd imagine Disney would go after Halo. After making Marvel a surefire thing, they could absolutely realize Halo on the screen.

Top Bottom