• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Factor 5 Developing New Kid Icarus Game for Wii

pulga

Banned
I think the real question is- will they use the Pit model from SSBM? Atleast it´ll be two things it has going for it (the other being the grafffixxx)

Link

The Autumn Wind
If they really want to make a proper 3D Kid Icarus, someone at Nintendo needs to get the Maximo team back together.

stilgar

I wonder ... Gaf, did Factor 5 kill your mother, eat your dog, or something like that? Or is it just in the mood to bitch about this company?

ethelred

Gigglepoo said:
You would rather have no game than a 3D version? Ok... you realize Metroid was pretty much dead before Retro resurrected it, right?

Wasn't Fusion released the very same day?

AniHawk

Gigglepoo said:
You would rather have no game than a 3D version? Ok... you realize Metroid was pretty much dead before Retro resurrected it, right?

You're talking about that console spinoff right? Because R&D1 resurrected the Metroid series with Metroid Fusion.

TreIII

Gigglepoo said:
You would rather have no game than a 3D version?

Sure, why not? I'd rather wait around with no game, rather than just see a game brought back just for the sake of bringing it back. I'm not that desperate.

After all, Final Fight Revenge AND Final Fight Streetwise, are both "excellent" examples of how a once respectable franchise from our youths can go SO very wrong in the wrong hands.

Gigglepoo

ethelred said:
Wasn't Fusion released the very same day?

You know what? It actually was. Huh, kind of strange. Super Metroid was released in 1994 and it took 9 years for the next Metroid game to come out... and two come out the same day?

Fusion is still my favorite of the "new" Metroids.

TreIII said:
Sure, why not?

Some people like 3D.

AniHawk

Gigglepoo said:
You know what? It actually was. Huh, kind of strange. Super Metroid was released in 1994 and it took 9 years for the next Metroid game to come out... and two come out the same day?
connectivity, bitches

AniHawk said:
You're talking about that console spinoff right? Because R&D1 resurrected the Metroid series with Metroid Fusion.
Technically they were both spinoffs, right? Yeah, no numbers in title means spinoff.

Edit: Oh snapplecakes. My failed logic broke. Super Metroid was just...

Epiphyte

Gigglepoo said:
You didn't play Star Fox Assault, did you?
By all rights, that game should have turned out awesome

Starfox + Ace Combat team? I haven't the slightest idea how they fucked it up that badly.

Link

The Autumn Wind
sevenchaos said:
Technically they were both spinoffs, right? Yeah, no numbers in title means spinoff.

Fusion was originally called Metroid IV, much like Super Metroid was originally called Metroid III.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
sevenchaos said:

Metroid Fusion actually calls itself "Metroid IV" in the intro sequence.

Super Metroid calls itself Metroid 3, too.

AniHawk

sevenchaos said:

Metroid Fusion was originally Metroid IV, and continues directly off of Super Metroid's established continuity. Spinoff probably isn't the correct term for Metroid Prime, but it felt more like an unnecessary entry to the series than Fusion.

KevinCow

Banned
I thought this rumor was ridiculous when I heard it a few months ago... but now I'm beginning to wonder if it may have some merit. I hope not, unless Nintendo somehow went in and shook Factor 5 up like they did Retro. I doubt if Factor 5 could make a good action-adventure platformer the way they are now.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Hey GAF, I'd like to teach you revisionist history. Sit down, gather round, and shut off your brains. Factor 5 has ALWAYS been horrible, even if this rumor is false.

Gigglepoo

PantherLotus said:
Hey GAF, I'd like to teach you revisionist history. Sit down, gather round, and shut off your brains. Factor 5 has ALWAYS been horrible, even if this rumor is false.

Nuh uh! Next Gen said Rogue Squadron was the reason to buy a Gamecube at launch.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
They did well when they had the Star Wars license since they had the films to play off of. They are hardly the height of inspired game design, however. I can't see Kid Icarus playing into their strengths at all unless somehow Pit is going to blow up the Death Star.

If Nintendo is involved from the begining then i have nothing to fear if this rumor is true. Unless this game has been in prepreduction for months or development is already full steam ahead, we wont know if anything is true or not for a while. :(

Iam Canadian

Factor 5 is a decent enough developer and they've made a few great games...not just the Star Wars titles, either. Anyone here ever played a game series called Turrican?

If you haven't, then you totally should.

This isn't to say that Kid Icarus fits into Factor 5's range of ability, but they're not the useless developer that Lair has made them out to be.

Iam Canadian said:
Factor 5 is a decent enough developer and they've made a few great games...not just the Star Wars titles, either. Anyone here ever played a game series called Turrican?

Hey guys Turok was awesome I hope Acclaim is making the next StarTropics.

Iam Canadian

BrodiemanTTR said:

Wow, way to totally miss the point of my post.

I said that Kid Icarus did not fit with Factor 5...I was simply defending them from the unjustified slings and arrows that people have been sniping them with.

Lair and Rebel Strike don't nullify the great games they have made.

Iam Canadian said:
Lair and Rebel Strike don't nullify the great games they have made.

Yeah they do, if those great games came out a decade ago or longer, while we sit here in the year 2008 where current-and-present Factor 5 is perfectly content to shit Lair into our mouths.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
ksamedi said:
Oh man, why would Nintendo give this to such a crappy developer?
if you were truly Nintendo's answer to spwolf, you would not be asking this question.

i'm all for it personally. if they can bring it back in all it's glory with a brand spanking new engine for 3rd party licensing, i will be happy. i trust F5 to make a good game. sure Lair wasn't all the great, but then, they left Nintendo's wing and companies who do that end up with odd fates...

Rayven

aka surume
Is Kid Icarus popular because people really liked the game 20 years ago? Or do they just remember the character?

I'm only asking b/c I tried to play it through recently and didn't think it was that great.

Terrell

doomed1 said:
if you were truly Nintendo's answer to spwolf, you would not be asking this question.

i'm all for it personally. if they can bring it back in all it's glory with a brand spanking new engine for 3rd party licensing, i will be happy. i trust F5 to make a good game. sure Lair wasn't all the great, but then, they left Nintendo's wing and companies who do that end up with odd fates...
So you don't even want, y'know, NINTENDO to consider developing it? Cuz I would almost certainly prefer that.
If Nintendo wants to revive the franchise after being gone for so long, they have to provide a strong initial 3D game concept, THEN consider passing it to another developer for a future installment. Seriously, giving Factor 5 the Kid Icarus license is like giving it to me... who knows what would become of it, and that initial 3D installment will set the tone of the franchise from there on out. Dangerous proposition, n'est-ce pas?

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
BrodiemanTTR said:

Too bad Acclaim isn't around anymore. But hey, maybe it can get resurrected and then they can do the next StarTropics. A man can dream.

MLK Day on Monday! Whoop!

HeartAttackJones said:
Is Kid Icarus popular because people really liked the game 20 years ago? Or do they just remember the character?

I'm only asking b/c I tried to play it through recently and didn't think it was that great.

See my earlier post. I think a lot of the people who want to see Kid Icarus revived for new-gen (who aren't just foaming Nintendonauts) are people who see a lot of potential in the concept for a 3D action/advneture game, and want a big new game from Nintendo that isn't Mario/Zelda/'troid.

I dunno, Kid Turrican with the wiimote as the pointer for the arrows could be pretty good... well, at least in 2d, dunno what would happen in 3d...

Terrell

HeartAttackJones said:

edit: plus the whole greek mythology theme has been claimed already.
Enjoying it for a sense of historic revision doesn't give it quite the same feel, due to several advancements to the genre after its inception. The original Metroid suffers from this same fate, as well as the original Super Mario Bros. For its time, it was the absolute equal of Metroid for its challenging gameplay and set the tone for a number of games to follow it, such as the oft-abused Mega Man franchise, which was released almost exactly one year after Kid Icarus. While we were all clamoring for Super Metroid back in the day, the Japanese were grumbling about the lack of a proper "Mirror of Parthena" follow-up instead (where the large majority of love for the franchise exists, hence Pit's appearance in Smash), and it's an easy assumption to make that Super Metroid was made instead due to its ability to be more of a graphics showpiece and its larger appeal to the ballooning Western game market. Had Gunpei Yokoi not left Nintendo and passed on in a car accident, we might not be worrying about "if" a Kid Icarus revival was being done, but worrying about "when" instead. Its absence in the Nintendo lineup thus far has a lot to do with no one at Nintendo wanting to follow up on Yokoi's work, hence the long Metroid hiatus before interest exploded with Metroid Prime.

... and yeah, some of what Brodieman said, as well. I mean, at this point, after 15 years of absence, it's almost a "new" IP anyways, why not dust it off and see what can be done with it?

KevinCow

Banned
I kind of want them to do a 2D Kid Icarus for the DS in the style that a Super Kid Icarus would have been if it had ever been made first, just so it can catch up with its sister series.

Burai

shitonmychest57
No.

Nobody outside of GAF gives two shits about the franchise. If Nintendo are putting Metroid on hiatus for being niche and unpopular, I can't see them commissioning a new Kid Icarus game.

Burai said:
No.

Nobody outside of GAF gives two shits about the franchise. If Nintendo are putting Metroid on hiatus for being niche and unpopular, I can't see them commissioning a new Kid Icarus game.

Unless, you know, they're trying to turn it into a marketable franchise. I highly doubt the ad campaign would be centered around the tagline, "Hey, remember that 20-year-old NES game?! If not, don't bother!"

KevinCow

Banned
Burai said:
No.

When did Nintendo say anything about putting Metroid on hiatus for being niche and unpopular? When did they say anything about putting it on hiatus period?

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Hmm after the Lair Debacle would Nintendo actually trust this Studio to revive the Franchise!??! I would have to say nay on this but hey if it's under 100% supervision by Nintendo maybe it can be good.

TJ Spyke

AlternativeUlster said:
Too bad Acclaim isn't around anymore. But hey, maybe it can get resurrected and then they can do the next StarTropics. A man can dream.

MLK Day on Monday! Whoop!

Actually, "Acclaim" is still around. It's just not the same company.

As for Monday, I couldn't care less about fake holidays (like this and Columbus Day) anymore. The only reason I liked them to begin with was because we got the day off of school.

Top Bottom