• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Final Fantasy X = Remake w/ the FFXIII engine for PS3/Vita, out by March 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

onQ123

as a Backward Compatible PlayStation 3 Owner I have to say killing off Backward Compatible PS3's was a good move because we wouldn't be seeing all these games being remade / remastered & the best thing about it is now the PS Vita is getting the PS2 games remade / remastered as part of the deal.

this is by leaps & bounds better than just having your PS2 games up scaled, well besides the whole buying it again thing (lol)

Skilletor

onQ123 said:
as a Backward Compatible PlayStation 3 Owner I have to say killing off Backward Compatible PS3's was a good move because we wouldn't be seeing all these games being remade / remastered & the best thing about it is now the PS Vita is getting the PS2 games remade / remastered as part of the deal.

this is by leaps & bounds better than just having your PS2 games up scaled, well besides the whole buying it again thing (lol)

A lot of games don't look so hot simply upscaled through PS2. SotC, for example, there's no comparison. This game in HD looks a lot better than it does on PS2.

I don't think it would matter much, honestly.

I'm more excited about the Vita release than the PS3 version, though.

Cool source, bro.

I dunno, it sounds way too good to be true and I really, really don't trust Square Enix to do anything that takes more effort than a quick port job.

mingus

weeaboo said:
Nah, spanish fanboy sites are full of bullshit. Also SQE already said that is a remastered in HD version

https://member.eu.square-enix.com/en/blogs/introducantasy-x-playstation-3-and-playstation-vita
What exactly is meant by "remaster" in the gaming context? Apologies if I start to sound dumb, but from what I've seen it seems like it involves mainly outsourced redoing of textures (unless it's mhp3hd) and models. Does sound get remastered? Does it use the same engine?

NM0dz

Neo Member
iamshadowlark said:
The only thing he got right is that they are calling it a HD remaster. We have know idea what that means at this point.

You are right to a point, the blog never explicitly says it's not a remake with the FFXIII engine, but i did believe the term "remaster" is not used to describe material that is recreated, but rather, existing material that is updated or polished.

It's like that for music and movies at least *shrug*

i'm not going to hold my breath anyway, as much as i'd love this all to be true : (

cackhyena

Skilletor said:
I don't want a remake. The game is gorgeous in HD. It doesn't need to be touched aside from upping the resolution.
That's actually what I meant. While I think the story is the biggest goof for that game, and could definitely benefit from an overhaul, I agree. Just want everything crisp with that sweet, sweet battle system.

mingus said:
What exactly is meant by "remaster" in the gaming context? Apologies if I start to sound dumb, but from what I've seen it seems like it involves mainly outsourced redoing of textures (unless it's mhp3hd) and models. Does sound get remastered? Does it use the same engine?
There is no standard definition. It could mean anything.

Rising_Hei

I don't expect FFX to be like an ubisoft port, but neither a remake, i won't trust any website without reliable source.

Skilletor

cackhyena said:
That's actually what I meant. While I think the story is the biggest goof for that game, and could definitely benefit from an overhaul, I agree. Just want everything crisp with that sweet, sweet battle system.

Also, fix the sound. The voices sound like everybody is wearing a darth vader mask.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
To be honest, I could see them remaking a couple of environments because some backgrounds were pre-rendered.

I could also see them possibly improving the CG cutscenes because modern FF (post VI) are known for their CG cutscenes, so I kinda doubt SE would like to release stretched low-res *memorable* cutscenes on HD (but still, it can happen).

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I probably won't be amazed because my memories of FFX are filled with images of the CG parts. I bet if I went back and played it on an old CRT like I actually first experienced it, it would be ugly as fuck.

Reveirg

iamshadowlark said:
The only thing he got right is that they are calling it a HD remaster. We have know idea what that means at this point.

It's kinda clear from S-E Member's article that they don't even know what's going on, expect that S-E Japan announced it. I doubt their choice of wording is relevant, especially since S-E said "remake" at TGS.

Dragon

Banned
wrowa said:
Why are people even paying attention to what a no-name website from Spain reports?

Why do people want things to be true that are highly unlikely? It's called hope; they hope to see a favorite game in a higher resolution with new graphics. FFX is imminently playable the way it is, this is just an easy cash grab, which is the main reason this is probably not true and puzzling if true.

Quixzlizx

I'd rather have an upgraded FFXII. It may not even require that much effort, considering how incredible it looks in PCSX2.

xion4360

they specifically used the word "Remake" at the announcement, but an HD remaster sounds more plausible to me. Guess we'll find out.

Bizarre decision. They'd be better off just upscaling the original to HD and remake VII instead. I don't particularly want to see VII get remade because I don't think today's Square is up to the task, but there's no denying it's the most sought for FF game to get the current-gen treatment.

StuBurns

Banned
Holy shit.

And people calling foul because it's SE are on crack. They remade FF4 twice for portables. They remake just as often as they port.

StuBurns said:
Holy shit.

And people calling foul because it's SE are on crack. They remade FF4 twice for portables. They remake just as often as they port.
The FFIV remakes would not be comparable to a FFXIII-caliber remake of FFX.

Haunted

I get all my news from pstime.es.

They're totally reliable and one of the high profile sites that will definitely get Sony rumours earlier than any other source.

StuBurns said:
Holy shit.

But both ff4 remake combine are most likely cheaper than a full(no reuse of assets) HD ff10 remake.

onQ123

Haunted said:
I get all my news from pstime.es.

They're totally reliable and one of the high profile sites that will definitely get Sony rumours earlier than any other source.

would a King lie to us?

Ydahs said:
All that is made from scratch with the new engine is the design of the characters, the aeons and stage elements.

Does re-using the majority of the old assets really make it a remake?
This is actually yhe part that make this whole rumor somewhat believable. squenix is not remaking a whole new asset. they still use old ps2 model and envirobment which still look pretty good, update character model, and implement new lighting to make the whole game feel new and updated.

I think it'll be like gta lighting mod, or old deus ex fanmod that replace textures and lighting to make it look better.
It won't be as expwnsive as whole new remake. but will look a whole lot better than just hugher resolution

ShockingAlberto said:
I find it exceedingly difficult to believe that Square is remaking FFX with any sort of speed.

It depends on how much of the game's assets they kept around, and how high resolution those things were when they were originally created.

They could theoretically just import everything into the FFXIII engine like the website claims but I have no idea how hard it would be to recreate the battle system and all of that.

Not buying it. This is a cash-grab to capitalize on the anniversary of FFX - they won't chance losing money on this by completely remaking the game.

StuBurns said:
I no way does it say FFXIII caliber, it says the FFXIII engine.
Remake in the FFXIII engine is still more work and more expense than any of the FFIV remakes.

It was a bad comparison, not something to hitch your wagon to.

TDLink

One of the following two things will make me buy this.

1. Online, Multiplayer, Blitzball

2. The content from the International version

If it includes both even better.

StuBurns

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Remake in the FFXIII engine is still more work and more expense than any of the FFIV remakes.

It was a bad comparison, not something to hitch your wagon to.
I totally disagree.

Dragon

Banned
StuBurns said:
Holy shit.

For portable systems that don't have a resolution anywhere close to the PS3. The HD assets alone are a lot of work if you're going to totally rework them in the FFXIII mold.

onQ123

michaeltraps said:
Not buying it. This is a cash-grab to capitalize on the anniversary of FFX - they won't chance losing money on this by completely remaking the game.

it's not a complete remake

StuBurns

Banned
It's already approaching as good as any PSV game, it's not like they'd be spending twenty million on rebuilding everything.

Elginer

Hope this makes its way to a 360 port as well. More money for Square to get that FFVIII remake going. I hope.

Cornbread78

C'mon people HD towns are too difficult. There is no way this is happening, if they remade everything with XIII's engine, we would see it a couple years after XIII-Versus is released......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom