• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Final Fantasy X = Remake w/ the FFXIII engine for PS3/Vita, out by March 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

Banned
MYE said:
Hey S-E, how about remaking one of the good FFs, like IX?

No?

okay

Again with remaking a PS1 game? What don't people get? Remaking a PS1 game is 100x more work than remaking a PS2 game for the PS3. This actually makes sense as a cash grab if they don't invest a ton of money totally remaking all the models.

Also, it's not like FFX has tons of enemy differentiation. They have like 20 different types of enemies just reskinned.

Dunan

FFXII should be an even easier cashgrab given how amazing it looks just being upscaled.

An officially-translated IZJS with trophies would be heaven-on-a-disc.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Dedication Through Light said:
I think the Vita version will look spectacular true or not. But redoing the characters will be nice.

Real HD boobs for Lulu. :p

Aru

I'll believe it when I see a trailer.

But if it doesn't happen, I'm gonna be disappointed just by thinking it could have happened :(

StuBurns

Banned
charlequin said:
Do you know, like, anything at all about game development? Like, even one thing
I know that asset production roughly comes in at between 65 and 75% of a modern game budget. So a complete asset remake like FF4 should cost considerably more than this would. Feel free to link me to an article saying otherwise though.

Zwei

TheBranca18 said:
Again with remaking a PS1 game? What don't people get? Remaking a PS1 game is 100x more work than remaking a PS2 game for the PS3.

The PS1 Final Fantasies sold a lot of copies.

You don't think S-E could make a nice profit remaking these games, even if remaking FF7, 8, or 9 requires more work/resources?

x-Lundz-x

This would be Amazing if true. FF-X is a toss up for me for best all time FF game, that or VII I just can't decide.

I was already going to buy it, but this just sweetens the deal if true. The only downside is I hope they are not going to try and go 60 bucks because they are porting to a new engine. I'll pay 30, not 60.

cannot wait. this is much better news than an ff7 remake. Now if they can just fix Seymour's stupid hair.

otoh, ffx was fully 3d already so it's hard to imagine what difference this makes.

on the other, other hand, it's easy to see why SE went for this -- because it WAS already in 3d and remaking it is probably a hell of a lot easier than trying to recreate all those CG backgrounds from 7-9 as fully 3d worlds. I wonder if they have the original 3d assets from those renderings...? still, i bet that hardly any of them would translate directly to real 3d spaces that would work in a game.

Meisadragon said:
Isn't it already confirmed to be a remaster and not a remake?
You say that like there is a standard differentiation between the two. We don't know what it is yet because they haven't given many details.

Hanmik

StuBurns said:
SE Europe called it a HD Remaster, at the announcement they called it remake.

SE Europe..? but the game isn´t even announced for Europe..? how, why..? back up your stuff please..?

Momo

Banned
charlequin said:
Do you know, like, anything at all about game development? Like, even one thing
If what Stu is saying is that the assets are already there as I think he is, he isn't wrong.

Momo said:
If what Stu is saying is that the assets are already there as I think he is, he isn't wrong.
Yep. FFX is a fairly recent game and I'm quite sure square still has the original high res assets. All it would take is optimizing to PS3/Vita levels.

Please let this be true. Please let this be true. Please let this be true. Please let this be true. Please let this be true. Please let this be true. Please let this be true. Please let this be true. Please let this be true. Please let this be true. Please let this be true. Please let this be true. Please let this be true. Please let this be true. Please let this be true. Please let this be true. Please let this be true. Please let this be true.

Andrefpvs

Whipped out my dubious Spanish skills and posted a comment asking how they obtained the information. Hopefully they'll answer.

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
I suppose they're trying to recoup the investment in the engine? FFX HD Remix would be a guaranteed seller, and while they're essentially starting from scratch in building the models and scenarios and environments, at least they don't have to spend time scripting it. Right? What does that cut, like a full month off the dev cycle?

Chamber said:
Too good to be true. They would have made a bigger deal over this announcement if it was.

Exactly - use some common sense guys. Squeenix is supposed to come out in a few weeks and say 'oh hey remmember that FFX release on the PS3 and Vita, yeah that shit is a full-blown remake. Yeah...we know, your welcome'

C'mon son!!

RaijinFY

Could be... Probably why they only announced FFX so far?
When Konami and Capcom announced their remasters, they announced them with games in bulk (MGS2, 3 and Peace Walker or RE Code Veronica, RE4).

Reading the badly-machine-translated OP again, I realize now that what this is saying is actually the opposite of what everyone's been reading it as: rather than "all the assets will be made from scratch" it's saying "none of the assets will be made from scratch, except the player characters and aeons, and a few areas (probably the parts that were pre-rendered in the PS2 version.)"

StuBurns said:
I know that asset production roughly comes in at between 65 and 75% of a modern game budget. So a complete asset remake like FF4 should cost considerably more than this would. Feel free to link me to an article saying otherwise though.

I honestly don't even know where to begin.

Orcastar

This is too good to be true. Besides, if they were really doing this, the game would be released in 2016 or something.

charlequin said:
Reading the badly-machine-translated OP again, I realize now that what this is saying is actually the opposite of what everyone's been reading it as: rather than "all the assets will be made from scratch" it's saying "none of the assets will be made from scratch, except the player characters and aeons, and a few areas (probably the parts that were pre-rendered in the PS2 version.)"
And now it all makes sense.

Lesiroth

Would've had a lot more fanfare if this was a full fledged remake, but I'm still hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Not that an HD 'remaster'(whatever the hell that is) would be bad looking. As proven by emulated shots of FFX, the game is still fairly playable by today's standards.

StuBurns

Banned
charlequin said:
The idea that an all-new-assets remake of Final Fantasy X (a game with a $10+ million budget) in the FFXIII engine (a game with a $30+ million budget) would have a comparable development cost to FF4DS or FF4C PSP (games with budgets of probably less than $1m budget combined.)
Who said it'd be that? I specifically said it wouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom