• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Final Fantasy X = Remake w/ the FFXIII engine for PS3/Vita, out by March 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
StuBurns said:
Who said it'd be that? I specifically said it wouldn't.

Now I'm just confused. The reason people said the rumor was implausible originally was because creating new assets would be hella expensive. You disagreed. What... were you disagreeing with?

charlequin said:
Reading the badly-machine-translated OP again, I realize now that what this is saying is actually the opposite of what everyone's been reading it as: rather than "all the assets will be made from scratch" it's saying "none of the assets will be made from scratch, except the player characters and aeons, and a few areas (probably the parts that were pre-rendered in the PS2 version.)"

I honestly don't even know where to begin.

The idea that an all-new-assets remake of Final Fantasy X (a game with a $10+ million budget) in the FFXIII engine (a game with a $30+ million budget) would have a comparable development cost to FF4DS or FF4C PSP (games with budgets of probably less than $1m budget combined.)

You're right, but they are vague in the area department, they said "elements in the backgrounds/areas" not the whole areas, which still will make sense in your assumption.

Also the comment about the CGI being remastered in HD using FFXIII engine filters dosn't make sense....

charlequin said:
Now I'm just confused. The reason people said the rumor was implausible originally was because creating new assets would be hella expensive. You disagreed. What... were you disagreeing with?

I think his point was that using the FFXIII with FFX PS2 assets would be less expensive than the full FFIV remake.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I also hear they're using a "re-discombobulation" FFXIII Engine to randomize the layout and plotline order of the game to give infinite replayability.

onQ123

charlequin said:
Reading the badly-machine-translated OP again, I realize now that what this is saying is actually the opposite of what everyone's been reading it as: rather than "all the assets will be made from scratch" it's saying "none of the assets will be made from scratch, except the player characters and aeons, and a few areas (probably the parts that were pre-rendered in the PS2 version.)"

that's the way I read it to begin with

StuBurns

Banned
charlequin said:
I disagreed it'd be 'hella expensive' because there's no possible way they would be remaking it in FFXIII quality, and the 'article' in the OP doesn't say they would, it just says it'd use the FFXIII engine, and it could do that and be asset identical to FFX.

There's a very good reason why SE would spend the extra to remake the 2D scenes, possibly redo the CG etc. HD Remasters can't be released at retail as solo games, and they can't even be full priced when bundled. Sony have higher standards for remakes/ports. SE are many things, but they are not cheap. It's absolutely within the logic of their release history to do the minimum required by Sony to be considered a remake/port so they can release it at retail for full price (or near it) in the West.

And yes I believe, that 'bare minimum' would be cheaper than FF4DS was.

Relaxed Muscle said:
You're right, but they are vague in the area department, they said "elements in the backgrounds/areas" not the whole areas, which still will make sense in your assumption.

Right. If the idea is that they ported this to Vita, redid the characters and aeons with new assets (maybe based on the original CGI assets), and fixed up certain specific areas, that's entirely plausible and would be a pretty cheap endeavor overall. This would basically be in line with the idea of the game as an "HD Remaster."

If they did entirely new assets from scratch and bolted it into a new version of the game built on a new engine, it'd be much more expensive.

Does anyone not agree on these points?

Nirolak said:
I'm just going to requote this and make that my statement on the validity of the rumor.
Its machine translated text.

charlequin said:
The idea that an all-new-assets remake of Final Fantasy X (a game with a $10+ million budget) in the FFXIII engine (a game with a $30+ million budget) would have a comparable development cost to FF4DS or FF4C PSP (games with budgets of probably less than $1m budget combined.)
The reason FFXIII cost 30 million was mostly because they had to remake the engine. Square more than likely has the original high res assets from FFX so refitting the assets to ps3/vita shouldn't be hard at all.

Edit: Just saw your latest post.

Lesiroth

Nirolak said:
I hear Square Enix is using an "AudioStyle MegaMax" FFXIII engine to remaster the game's soundtrack.
duckroll said:
The "filter engine" must be Super6xSAI, amirite?
Nirolak said:
I also hear they're using a "re-discombobulation" FFXIII Engine to randomize the layout and plotline order of the game to give infinite replayability.

Looks like a full HD remake if you ask me.

Momo

Banned
charlequin said:
Right. If the idea is that they ported this to Vita, redid the characters and aeons with new assets (maybe based on the original CGI assets), and fixed up certain specific areas, that's entirely plausible and would be a pretty cheap endeavor overall. This would basically be in line with the idea of the game as an "HD Remaster."

If they did entirely new assets from scratch and bolted it into a new version of the game built on a new engine, it'd be much more expensive.

Agree.

However you're pretty much saying what Stu is I think =P

Andrefpvs

Andrefpvs said:
Whipped out my dubious Spanish skills and posted a comment asking how they obtained the information. Hopefully they'll answer.

Okay, they answered the following:

Es una fuente bastante fiable, que siempre que nos han pasado algún rumor ha acabado siendo cierto, es demostrable ;)

Translation:
It's a very reliable source. Whenever they've given us rumors they've ended up being true, as can be proved.

Anyone familiar with the site can see if there were any similar situations in the past?

Relaxed Muscle said:

StuBurns said:
it just says it'd use the FFXIII engine, and it could do that and be asset identical to FFX.

Well, that's fine, but that's also... literally identical to what everyone took away from the original announcement (FFX in HD with the same assets) so it doesn't really constitute a "rumor" exactly....

HD Remasters can't be released at retail as solo games, and they can't even be full priced when bundled.

I remain deeply doubtful that there is any number of tacked-on new features that would convince Sony to go "herp derp it's not a remaster" and let Square-Enix sell a FX port in America for $40.

EDIT: I mean, I agree that an HD version of FFX with the same assets would be way cheaper than FF4DS, but... that's not really a remake. And if it starts to get into remake territory (new cutscene direction, new script, new voice acting, reimagined battle system, rebuilt areas, etc.) it's quickly going to become more expensive even without new assets. I don't think SE is doing any of these things, I think they're just porting it and slapping on a few features.

iamshadowlark said:

The reason FFXIII cost 30 million was mostly because they had to remake the engine. Square more than likely has the original high res assets from FFX so refitting the assets to ps3/vita shouldn't be hard at all.

Squares ff games have costed 20 m + since ff7.

Aeana

iamshadowlark said:
Its a standard practice around the entire industry. Hell ID still has everything from the first Dooms.
Losing assets and source is really common in the Japanese industry, however.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
onQ123 said:
LOL why are the mods trolling this thread?

Well, we've got two options:
1) Either to lock the thread because insofar as anything you posted here is new information, it's unsubstantiated rumour offered by a no-name console-exclusive website presumably found on another no-name website or an aggregator like VG247, Reddit, or N4G, and then machine translated into English and posted on GAF.

2) Make fun of how crazy it is and use this thread as a dumping ground for people to get out their nervous energy about the FFX port and the game in general.

Zoe

iamshadowlark said:
Its a standard practice around the entire industry. Hell ID still has everything from the first Dooms.

You're talking about the company that didn't bother re-rendering Advent Children in HD.

Shadow of the BEAST said:
Squares ff games have costed 20 m + since ff7.
Thats because they are building new engines every time. Square just now has built a engine that you can use past one game. Combined with those being actually new games with new assets and new CG thats not a good comparison at all.

iamshadowlark said:
Thats because they are building new engines every time. Square just now has built a engine that you can use past one game. Combined with those being actually new games with new assets and new CG thats not a good comparison at all.

its the assets that costs money, not engines. Especially in final fantasy games.

engines involve relatively few people.

Emitan

Dunan said:
FFXII should be an even easier cashgrab given how amazing it looks just being upscaled.

An officially-translated IZJS with trophies would be heaven-on-a-disc.
This is the reason I'm so excited for FFX Vita. It means it's only a matter of time before XII IZJS is mine! On a portable! *swoons*

Shadow of the BEAST said:
its the assets that costs money, not engines. Especially in final fantasy games.

engines involve relatively few people.

Do you know how long it take to build a full engine? Specifically one of squares quality?

Also read my post

Thats because they are building new engines every time. Square just now has built a engine that you can use past one game. Combined with those being actually new games with new assets and new CG thats not a good comparison at all

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
If true, I'm gonna cry.

If false, I'm gonna cry.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Zwei said:
The PS1 Final Fantasies sold a lot of copies.

You don't think S-E could make a nice profit remaking these games, even if remaking FF7, 8, or 9 requires more work/resources?

Cost to remake >>>>>>>>>> Return in Interest.

HD Remakes would probably sell, but well to anyone other than older nostalgia gamers? You think a majority of 12 year olds that play Call of Dooty is going to buy a JRPG, ew?

Zoe said:
If only we all could have your confidence.

didn't square delete the original advent children movie asset so when it come to bluray with extended scenes, the new scenes are way sharper and higher quality than the rest of the movie because most of the movie is just dvd upscaled instead of re-rendered in 1080p?

Emitan

Callibretto said:
didn't square delete the original advent children movie asset so when it come to bluray with extended scenes, the new scenes are way sharper and higher quality than the rest of the movie because most of the movie is just dvd upscaled instead of re-rendered in 1080p?
Pretty sure that's what happened.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Seems to me like they would have made a bigger deal out of it if they were remaking it like the rumour says and aren't just pumping out a HD "Remaster"...

Suairyu

Banned
Zoe said:
You're talking about the company that didn't bother re-rendering Advent Children in HD.
Unless they wanted to add a spotch of dirt to a character's face, of course!

Goddamn that blu ray was a joke. I picked it up for £2 and still felt ripped off.

1. This is total bullshit.

2. A game engine does not equal 3D models.

3. I don't think most of you even tried to read the OP.

4. I know Spanish. The site says they're remaking the characters and some background elements from scratch, but are using the same environments. Still sounds like bullshit.

onQ123

1 reason I find it to be believable is because it's 1 game instead of the usual bundle of games being remastered as a set.

Cornbread78

TheSeks said:
Cost to remake >>>>>>>>>> Return in Interest.

HD Remakes would probably sell, but well to anyone other than older nostalgia gamers? You think a majority of 12 year olds that play Call of Dooty is going to buy a JRPG, ew?

Dammit, no NA launch confirmed......

RaijinFY

iamshadowlark said:

FFXIII probably costed more than that...

Reveirg

rvy said:
This is Square Enix we're talking about. Anyone who believes this is insane.

Yes, Square-Enix...

-The same company that made a full 3D remake of Final Fantasy IV.
-The same company that developped what was deemed as one of the best remakes ever made : Tactics Ogre for PSP.
-The same company that remade Chain of Memories into a full-fledged 3D game using KH's PS2 engine.
-The same company that released full 3D remakes of SaGa 2 and 3.

I know it's cool to bash S-E these days, and they deserve some of it. But in this case, if one company could do a full HD remake of a PS2 game, it's them, especially after having worked so hard on their next-gen engine, with disappointing results (according to most people around here anyway...)

Besides, if there's one thing the Final Fantasy series has always been great at, it's graphics quality. I don't see them throwing that out at the garbage with a poorly-made PS3 port.

Teknoman

Coxy said:
I think this will be as cheap and dirty a port as possible, SE thrive on zero effort ports

Honestly...while it probably wont be the case for this game, Square Enix usually treats remakes well. Look at the other remakes they've done. Unless they've already confirmed that its just a simple HD remaster like the titles we've seen from others already, its still a 50/50 chance.

FF III, IV, Tactics Ogre, IV PSP, I PSP, and II PSP stand as examples. Even War of the Lions to a certain extent.

Zwei

TheSeks said:
You think a majority of 12 year olds that play Call of Dooty is going to buy a JRPG, ew?

Since when do 12 year olds have any buying power?

and lol, you said 'Dooty'.

Reveirg

Teknoman said:
Even War of the Lions to a certain extent.

I skipped that one on my list due to the graphics staying on the same quality and the notable slowdowns. But they still made the effort to completely localize the game again, which is pretty great.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I don't know if a full remake is a realistic option, but there is something bugging me from the announcement day. Why showing only a logo? If it was really just an HD remaster, would be easy to show some screenshot of it or a short teaser at that same event. Instead we got nothing. It's like they're saving the best cards for later. What if this is indeed a bigger project?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom