• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Forza 6 and Forza Horizons 3 coming to Windows 10

Sydle

I hope Spencer announces all of the Xbox games are coming to PC at the Feb 25th event. It's kind of ridiculous that he flat out said they want to allow us to play our games anywhere and people still get shocked every time they announce another one for PC.

You really think that there are 110 million game ready w10 machines? Please.

They announced over 200 million installs at the end of December. There's probably a good portion of those for business. I agree with you in that I doubt there are many of those ready to play things like QB.

Xbox as a service / platform rather than a hardware. You can see this evolving as they push their first party towards windows, as they merge the OS.

That was the talk, I'd bet that's where this is going. I'd welcome these games coming to any platform capable of supporting them, so long as they don't get wrecked by PC side modding or some other shenanigans you can use when your machine is open.

That said, my PC is a hunk of junk that runs spreadsheets, chrome, and my office VPN so consoles are where I will game.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Despite being W10 Store exclusives, I really appreciate that they get serious with PC gaming again after all those years of broken promises.

edit:
and don't forget that Phil tweeted that he wants to make Cross Buy a platform feature, also for 3rd party games.

Cross buy would potentially switch me from ps4 to xb1 for supported games. I often have to consider whether I want the better graphics and performance of PC, or the ability to play simply and quickly on console in the living room. With cross buy (and cross save), I'd have the best of both worlds and could choose based on my mood that day (or whether my kids have hogged the TV)

They announced over 200 million installs at the end of December. There's probably a good portion of those for business. I agree with you in that I doubt there are many of those ready to play things like QB.

I would be shocked if 80-100 million of those werent of a higher spec than an xbox one. Actually maybe more 60-80 Mill?

Caayn

It really wouldn't surprise me, since Turn10 was speaking on the "Developing games for Windows 10" panel at GDC 2015, if I'm not mistaken. I'm just surprised that it didn't happen already.
And they've shown Forza 5 running on DX12 at GDC 2014.

Well, maybe 40m and still bigger install base than PS4.

"Maybe", "Perhaps".

Until there are at least some confirmation from Microsoft itself or someone from the industry there is no way to know that. There could be 70 million game ready w10 machines, or 10-20. It's all speculation at this point.

Good and finally. Less reason to fork over cash for a second console. This is all I wanted because the PS4 has been truly abysmal when it comes to driving games.

Sure there's Driveclub but one game simply isn't enough. This is good news for those without an Xbox and have been craving for driving games.

Best wishes.

wapplew

"Maybe", "Perhaps".

Until there are at least some confirmation from Microsoft itself or someone from the industry there is no way to know that. There could be 70 million game ready w10 machines, or 10-20. It's all speculation at this point.

Atleast bigger than what ever Xbox one install base alone.
Nothing but good news for Xbox owner.

Bgamer90

Banned
Cool if true. More racers to play with.

Good and finally. Less reason to fork over cash for a second console. This is all I wanted because the PS4 has been truly abysmal when it comes to driving games.

Sure there's Driveclub but one game simply isn't enough. This is good news for those without an Xbox and have been craving for driving games.

Driveclub isn't terrible at all but I definitely agree. Not much to choose from on the PS4 in terms of solid racers.

Atleast bigger than what ever Xbox one install base alone.

move-the-goalposts.jpg

bede-x

If Scalebound and Gears 4 comes to PC, my One will begin to look a bit redundant going forward. I'd be very happy about it though :)

Ryuuga

Banned
"Is this a negative? It can be, but it shows me and I think to pretty much everyone else that the Xbox platform is not the priority but Windows is. "

This is where I think the fanbase isn't aligned with Microsoft. Windows is the platform, Xbox is the brand. Once you understand that Xbox isn't a separate entity you'll realize what MS has essentially always been trying to do.

"For those of you who bemoan MS 1st party stuff not being on Steam, get over yourselves. It won't be, MS is trying to build out their own ecosystem"

It makes perfect business sense for MS to keep their products exclusive to their store. However, building a restrictive ecosystem on an open standard will always be met with ire.

Crapgamer's going to get an ulcer this time.

Dudes already on the #win10family train and sending delighted tweets to Phil, that allows him to claim 200m versus 37m and declare him on the winning side of the console war.

Interesting to see when the push for windows 10 upgrades ends, how fast they'll drop PC gaming and the xbox, and live off the money for all the data they gather from it.

Less Xbox, less third party games.

I don't get this, at all. It's actually 'more Xbox', if you look at it beyond the Xbox One alone. Why on earth would a third party dev not put out stuff on Xbone and Win 10 when they're basically the same application? Potential sales for very little extra work, I'd imagine.

If Scalebound and Gears 4 comes to PC, my One will begin to look a bit redundant going forward. I'd be very happy about it though :)

Yep.

No way they'd be doing this if the bone was the dominant console this gen.

I wonder what effect this will have on future consoles? I don't see the point of releasing an Xbox anymore if this is the norm.

Ushay

As long as they keep producing games for both the PC and XBO, I really can't see what all the fuss is about.

Not everyone wants, or has, a gaming PC.

Seems to be harder to digest for some. As a father of 2 having access to both PC and Xbox is a godsend, opens up a lot of versatility in my household.

I can see the next Xbox being a bespoke system with the Xbox UI and full backwards compatibility. Essentially a PC with everyone using the same store.

scitek

For those of you who bemoan MS 1st party stuff not being on Steam, get over yourselves. It won't be, MS is trying to build out their own ecosystem.

As soon as the Windows Store doesn't offer a gimped experience by comparison, I'm sure people will stop complaining about it. We'll see if Microsoft is actually serious this time about listening to feedback and doing right by PC gamers. They already have things to work on and an opportunity to prove they're not full of shit.

Jrs3000

"Is this a negative? It can be, but it shows me and I think to pretty much everyone else that the Xbox platform is not the priority but Windows is. "

This is where I think the fanbase isn't aligned with Microsoft. Windows is the platform, Xbox is the brand. Once you understand that Xbox isn't a separate entity you'll realize what MS has essentially always been trying to do.

"For those of you who bemoan MS 1st party stuff not being on Steam, get over yourselves. It won't be, MS is trying to build out their own ecosystem"

It makes perfect business sense for MS to keep their products exclusive to their store. However, building a restrictive ecosystem on an open standard will always be met with ire.

It's a necessary evil for the restrictions if it will end up being cross buy, play, and save with xbox.

Yep.

I wonder what effect this will have on future consoles? I don't see the point of releasing an Xbox anymore if this is the norm.

They still would have, just I dont think the push would be this soon. Remember it's new management in MS with a vision different from the previous CEO.

yuraya

A console with 5 different userfaces all with different control schemes since they're open based platforms with no cohesive library or online communities.

What would MS marketing slogan be? "Please buy a PS5?". What you described is a PC which is a completely separate platform. Bringing Xbox exclusives to PC just makes MS more money. The PC & console audience are completely different.

They would probably just advertise the Steam, GOG, Uplay and Origin as additional perks/benefits for the package. While the Win10 store Xbox console stuff is front and center as the main thing about the console. Its doable and console gaming is more entangled with PC gaming today than ever before.

The all digital future they are moving towards will eventually arrive. All signs point to MS going with a universal store and being a service company. Creating a new operating system for a new console at this point would be counterproductive.

Yep.

There's absolutely a point in releasing an Xbox when you look at it as a cheaper entry point into the larger MS market. As has been pointed out many times, not every has or wants a PC capable of running stuff really well, so a 'Win 10 box' would make great sense.

As for timing, I'm not sure this is down to the console game alone. Nadella didn't come in and announce unified Windows etc because Playstation 4 was doing well. It just happens to help modify the capabilites of a second-placed console.

Bgamer90

Banned
Yep.

They wouldn't be doing this at this time if the Xbox One was the dominant console more than likely.

However, there were plans to do this before the gen even started so it was going to happen eventually.

There's many console gamers who don't care about PC (as shown by the top selling titles being multiplatform) so a next Xbox will still have a purpose.

I hope Spencer announces all of the Xbox games are coming to PC at the Feb 25th event. It's kind of ridiculous that he flat out said they want to allow us to play our games anywhere and people still get shocked every time they announce another one for PC.

Businesses generally lag behind consumers, far more to plan in a deployment. Would imagine the majority of those are consumer (I have no source for this though - just gut feel). Very interested as to what the specs are on these machines, have Valve published anything recently?

av2k

I was at my friends house yesterday playing Forza for the first time and I absolutely loved it (car shopping and the tutorial arrows was really enjoyable)! I was like "man, I wish it would come out to pc but that doesn't look to be the case." and he was like "yep, this is xbone's killer game, it's never going to pc"... and this article releases the next day. awesome.

I hope oculus rift works with it.. I'd be happy to buy a wheel and chair with it as well.

Sydle

Yep.

The only way a console makes sense is for those who can't afford a good gaming rig or that's not the experience they want.

Personally, the only way I'm buying a Xbox console again is if they make it a real Win10 machine that can play anything a Win 10 PC could, but with a big picture mode. If they won't do that then I'll probably build a small-form PC for my TV, or even buy one of those AlienWare Alpha rigs that don't limit me to just the Windows Store.

watdaeff4

Great news, but only if there's cross play involved.

LOL. I have a bit of the opposite reaction.

I don't own a gaming PC, but the only thing I hope as they shift to doing this is that you can choose XB1 dedicated playlists vs. cross play lists. I'm not that great of a Halo player as it is, don't want to go against KB/M in addition to my *lack of* skill.

The only way a console makes sense is for those who can't afford a good gaming rig or that's not the experience they want.

And this is me, so I will still buy XB consoles in the future. I don't want that experience and am a Mac user at home so............

scitek

It's a necessary evil for the restrictions if it will end up being cross buy, play, and save with xbox.

You know what? That makes sense, but give me a choice of whether or not I want all that stuff. Put the games on other storefronts in addition to the Windows Store, and give the cross-buy/save stuff as exclusive bonuses for choosing there as the place to buy from. I have no use for any of it because I don't own an Xbox One, so the only thing I'm getting out of it is the chance to play a game, but with notably less functionality than if it had been purchased somewhere else.

Top Bottom