• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(RUMOR) Marvel considering replacing Iron Fist with Punisher series

Status
Not open for further replies.
If one word and the lack of nudity is a deal breaker for you, then you have way too high of standards. It doesn't need to be a 1:1 adaptation to still be good and faithful.

Ennis Run will be hard to manage without Nudity and Fword.

But i think it would be better if the evil guys would be allowed to say fuck. No Nudity is okay.

nicanica

Can't wait for the inevitable season 11 story arc where they turn Frank black and he learns how to deal with minority issues.

Tobor

If it's true that Iron Fist has stalled out due to a lack of creative direction, then they should absolutely make the switch. I don't want a bad Iron Fist show just because they announced it and feel obligated.

Besides, Punisher is a lock. Easy to market and a guaranteed hit. Go with what works.

Ronin Ray

I would rather have an Iron Fist show over Punisher. Punisher has gotten lots of adaptations already. I'd rather they give something different a chance.

Of course, I'm not against a Punisher show in addition to the current lineup.

I am in the same camp. I would pick Iron Fist 100% just because he is new to live action. Punisher has had how many movies now?

I am also confused to why Iron Fist would cost more to produce. Wouldn't it just be a bunch of martial arts stuff and practical effects? Just get some of the talent behind the raid movies and call it a day.

Tied with Daredevil as my three favorite Marvel characters. The decision makes business sense, as he's easier to market and violent anti-heroes are always popular.

My problem is there is much more you can do with Danny Rand. His backstory is awesome, and you can tie so many cool elements of chi, kung fu, and the history of the Iron Fist together.

I'd love to have both, but would rather see Iron Fist done properly. There are plenty of Punisher properties to enjoy already.

You didn't answer my question.

Whether I have or not is irrelevant, because I'm not arguing that it can or can't be done. I'm just saying that I don't believe those two restrictions would keep anything, be it Punisher or otherwise, from being able to be adapted faithfully. I'm asking you, who has read them, to explain why it couldn't be done if only those two restrictions exist and you say that the reason it can't be done has nothing to do with those two restrictions.

An Ennis adaptation, requires full use of all swear words.

They need someone to stand in for Nick Fury and if that guy isn't swearing like a sailor they fucked up.

No, it isn't.

Know what you're talking about before you start talking.

I don't have to in this situation, because my point is irrelevant to the specific IP in question. But if you don't want to explain your point, that's fine. You've given no evidence that it can't be done, rather you've just attacked the first four words of each of my posts.

Ennis Run will be hard to manage without Nudity and Fword.

But i think it would be better if the evil guys would be allowed to say fuck. No Nudity is okay.

It's funny that the Marvel Netflix shows have refrained from using the f-word when Fox's X-men films, which content wise are much more tame, freely use it.

I don't have to in this situation

Yes, you do. You would realize almost instantly that your counterargument (based on knowledge you don't have and an assumption as to the reasoning behind my protestation that is incorrect and has already been stated as such by me) is bunk.

Simply saying that not knowing what you're talking about is irrelevant doesn't actually make it irrelevant.

It's not on me to make sure you know what you're talking about before you start talking. That's a you thing. That's not my failing.

It's funny that the Marvel Netflix shows have refrained from using the f-word when Fox's X-men films, which content wise are much more tame, freely use it.

I thought they were only allowed one per film? I feel like I remember reading that they used their one in First Class on that Wolverine scene because they thought it fit best there.

graffix13

I like both character but I really hope this isn't true. I REALLY want to see Iron Fist.

We've already had 2 Punisher movies and he's going to be in DD. Let's see Iron Fist.

if dare devil, JJ, Iron fist all have shows running simultaneously for thats too much tv.

This was Marvel/Netflix's plan from the very beginning. They won't run at the same time, but they'll come one after the other.

I thought they were only allowed one per film? I feel like I remember reading that they used their one in First Class on that Wolverine scene because they thought it fit best there.

PG-13 rating=one or two fucks, usually.

kirblar

If it's true that Iron Fist has stalled out due to a lack of creative direction, then they should absolutely make the switch. I don't want a bad Iron Fist show just because they announced it and feel obligated.

Besides, Punisher is a lock. Easy to market and a guaranteed hit. Go with what works.
There seem to be a lot of issues with Iron Fist both not fitting the other crime/street-level series in tone, and Netflix already having invested in action-adventure martial arts shows.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
No Iron Fist would be a shame. It could definitely bring a new direction and feel into the MCU.

Narag

I'd prefer they didn't do this but if they rolled Iron Fist into a Heroes for Hire show instead, sure, why not.

Blader

if dare devil, JJ, Iron fist all have shows running simultaneously for thats too much tv.

They'll cycle on and off, not all at once. So you get DD in April, Jessica Jones in Nov., DD S2 six months later, Luke Cage six months after that, etc. So Iron Fist/Punisher would follow Cage, and then the Defenders after that.

Shauni

Again - you can't adapt Ennis if you're sticking to that PG-16 bullshit. There's just no way. And there's no real reason to do Punisher if you're not gonna do Ennis.

Not unless you wanna do Remender and fuck around with Frankencastle.

Why would you assume they would adapt Ennis to begin with? Daredevil didn't really adapt any specific run that I'm aware of.

Yes, you do. You would realize almost instantly that your counterargument (based on knowledge you don't have an an assumption as to my protestation that is incorrect and has already been stated as such by me) is bunk.

Simply saying that not knowing what you're talking about is irrelevant doesn't actually make it irrelevant.

The problem is that you are refuting my premise on the basis that I am talking about Punisher specifically, and I'm not. I'm saying that I do not believe that there is an even semi-relevant IP out there that can't be faithfully adapted given those restrictions. There is nothing that those two things (graphic nudity and the f-word) accomplish tonally, story-wise, or otherwise in any story that cannot be accomplished by alternative means.

The problem is that you are refuting my premise on the basis that I am talking about Punisher specifically, and I'm not.

Why wouldn't you be? I'm specifically talking about the Ennis run of Punisher.

Read it.

Why would you assume they would adapt Ennis to begin with?

I'm not assuming, really. I'm stating my preference for adaptable material by saying it's the only pre-existing material that seems worthy of cinematic adaptation. And then further stating that such an adaptation would be pretty much impossible under the self-imposed restrictions Marvel TV is placing on its properties.

Gleethor

The problem is that you are refuting my premise on the basis that I am talking about Punisher specifically, and I'm not. I'm saying that I do not believe that there is an even semi-relevant IP out there that can't be faithfully adapted given those restrictions. There is nothing that those two things (graphic nudity and the f-word) accomplish tonally, story-wise, or otherwise in any story that cannot be accomplished by alternative means.

I think you're wrong. A PG-13 Watchmen film would've been worse off.

More on-topic, I would rather have a good Punisher show than a bad Iron Fist one. But that depends on whether this decision is made because they can't lock on to a creative direction for IF or they just wanna do Punisher because he's a known entity and will be established in DD season 2. Don't do a Punisher show just to do one.

Why wouldn't you be? I'm specifically talking about the Ennis run of Punisher.

Read it.

My point is more wide-reaching than that. I have a general belief, which I've outlined already, and your Punisher argument fits in that belief.

I think you're wrong. A PG-13 Watchmen film would've been worse off.

I never said it would be perfect or even optimal. Just that it can be done and considered mostly faithful. I think Watchmen fits that. I fully believe that.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Ugh... I'd love a Punisher series, but not at the risk of pushing back Iron Fist. Especially after all the nods in Daredevil.

I'd rather see Shang-Chi and Moon Knight before that happens.

This was Marvel/Netflix's plan from the very beginning. They won't run at the same time, but they'll come one after the other.
PG-13 rating=one or two fucks, usually.

That was before they green light DD for a second season. Does DD just not get a 3rd season or do we cap all the shows at 2 seasons?

This PG-16 stuff is garbage. Daredevil and Jessica Jones are rated TV-MA which is where you would get R rated stuff anyway. Going full R rating doesn't alienate any viewers because the official rating would stay the same. They're just imposing ridiculous artificial restrictions on themselves that will do more harm than good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom