• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(RUMOR) Marvel considering replacing Iron Fist with Punisher series

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDLink

I don't know how it's so hard to figure out Iron Fist. Just adapt Fraction's Immortal Iron Fist. I mean, really.

I would have thought they had a plan in place when they announced the 4 shows. To me it seems like they definitely did for Daredevil and Jessica Jones. It remains to be seen with Luke Cage, but I assume so there also. So why would Iron Fist be different?

I just don't get all these rumours. I feel like they mostly stem from the lack of news, but he was always going to be the last show so it isn't really odd that we haven't heard anything yet.

Then again, maybe these people are right. I don't really know. But it would definitely be a shame if we don't get Iron Fist. He's such a great character and has big potential as either a film or television series.

To add to this, as far as we know, Iron Fist characters have been seeded in Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage. It would be weird if nothing came of these breadcrumbs.

ZSeba

aoz8kgx8pzknypz7z38n.jpg

Because limited time and resources

Shaanyboi

Banned
I don't know how it's so hard to figure out Iron Fist. Just adapt Fraction's Immortal Iron Fist. I mean, really.

I would have thought they had a plan in place when they announced the 4 shows. To me it seems like they definitely did for Daredevil and Jessica Jones. It remains to be seen with Luke Cage, but I assume so there also. So why would Iron Fist be different?

I just don't get all these rumours. I feel like they mostly stem from the lack of news, but he was always going to be the last show so it isn't really odd that we haven't heard anything yet.

Then again, maybe these people are right. I don't really know. But it would definitely be a shame if we don't get Iron Fist. He's such a great character and has big potential as either a film or television series.

And keep it cost-effective for Marvel's Netflix budget?

IrishNinja

i mean, Kun Lun is gonna rack up a bit anyway unless you do it pretty small

but most of those mortal kombat-esque fights? DD already proved they've got solid fight choreography on hand, i see where Fist could cost more than say Alias but it can be done without breaking the bank too

TDLink

There's no reason it has to be super expensive.

i mean, Kun Lun is gonna rack up a bit anyway unless you do it pretty small

but most of those mortal kombat-esque fights? DD already proved they've got solid fight choreography on hand, i see where Fist could cost more than say Alias but it can be done without breaking the bank too

Exactly. Also Netflix splurged major dough on stuff like Sense8 and Marco Polo. Iron Fist can be done for less than that.

IrishNinja

can we film this for twenty dollars? i say yes

i mean...bride of nine spiders? you need a bunch of spdiers, those can be caught on the cheap if you're careful

fat cobra? e honda lookin dude, there's gotta be out-of-work sumos about

steel serpent/davos? i bet bautista still has his man with the iron fists getup in the closet somewhere, hell have him bring some marquees (there's gotta be tons of leftovers) and baby, we got us a stew goin'

Holy crap dude, what is wrong with you? Why don't you just TELL HIM why the run you like wouldn't work in the confines of Marvel's restrictions?
Right?! It was kind of funny the first few times, but jeez.

On topic, I'm kind of disappointed I don't know much about iron first and I would have enjoyed seeing his story. But punisher has always been sick as hell to me, so I'm cool with this trade off.

How can they not figure out a direction for Iron Fist? It's like the most obvious, straight forward thing. Hell, take the easy way out and set it during a tournament or something if they must.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I could see this happening. I don't know why this is giving them so much trouble. But Punisher is definitely "easier" and more marketable.

Not really sure why they can't just do both...I also don't get why they can't just do a scaled back version of Fraction's Iron Fist. Just do Arrow with more hand to hand fight choreography.

I'm a way bigger can of Iron Fist, so I'm definitely biased. But wevey already had live action Punisher movies. I want a live action Iron Fist. Make a lesser known character popular, you'll always have the opportunity to whip out Punisher

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Holy crap dude, what is wrong with you? Why don't you just TELL HIM why the run you like wouldn't work in the confines of Marvel's restrictions?

Because it shouldn't be on him to educate someone who's talking out of their ass about content of which they have no knowledge?

Blader

The biggest obstacle to adapting Ennis' Punisher MAX for Netflix is not the nudity or the swearing, it's the sheer amount of squibs that'd be required.

This might honestly be where this unified continuity kinda bites 'em, especially if the only reason they're not adapting Brubaker/Fraction is because it doesn't blend with what they've already got going.

This might honestly be where this unified continuity kinda bites 'em, especially if the only reason they're not adapting Brubaker/Fraction is because it doesn't blend with what they've already got going.

Not adapting any Brubaker would be a massive mistake. Just tell the best stories and find creative ways to make them fit. Don't worry about continuity, comics themselves sure as shit dont.

IrishNinja

i get that, but even as grounded as DD was, the seeds were planted - they need to start setting up the mystic/other corners of their universe, or stuff like Strange is gonna feel...stranger

Honestly, this is a decent idea.

The problem Marvel has is Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage have a similar tone and style to them. Iron Fist is connected through Luke Cage in the comics, but adapting either his original debut arc or Immortal requires taking the rather grounded Netflix series into a supernatural direction.

Basically, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage are in one sphere and Iron Fist is in another. The Punisher fits the world of the other three. Moon Knight at his best straddles the two spheres, with his mental issues acting as a soft cushion for the supernatural elements being included in Netflix's Marvel series.

Counting the MCU, even Thor is more of a science fiction series than a magical one. Dr. Strange will be their first real jump into that.

The problem Marvel has is Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage have a similar tone and style to them. Iron Fist is connected through Luke Cage in the comics, but adapting either his original debut arc or Immortal requires taking the rather grounded Netflix series into a supernatural direction.

Basically, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage are in one sphere and Iron Fist is in another. The Punisher fits the world of the other three. Moon Knight at his best straddles the two spheres, with his mental issues acting as a soft cushion for the supernatural elements being included in Netflix's Marvel series.

But Marvel needs to start going into the supernatural from that grounded element. That's a core part of the universe, I mean DD before his Mark Waid run spent about 10 years running a mystical clan of assassin ninjas. If they want to do Dr. Strange, they need to set up that stuff in their tertiary universe stuff so that it makes more sense.

VanWinkle

Because it shouldn't be on him to educate someone who's talking out of their ass about content of which they have no knowledge?

The guy asked him why the content wouldn't be fit if the only restrictions according to Marvel are no f-words and no nudity. That's not a crazy question. He continued and continues to ignore it and just be a jerk about it.

TDLink

Counting the MCU, even Thor is more of a science fiction series than a magical one. Dr. Strange will be their first real jump into that.

There is already mysticism and supernatural stuff in Daredevil with the Ninjas, Crane Mother (who is an Iron Fist character, might I add...some of the "seeds" I mentioned earlier), and whatever Stick was doing. Iron Fist being "less grounded" doesn't really matter. There's already superpowers and it's about superheroes. It's an even crazier argument if you consider the entire MCU and not just the Netflix shows. Additionally, The Defenders have always been a team that fights the supernatural. I somewhat doubt they would use that name if that wasn't what the miniseries is going to be about. Time will tell of course but the magical nature of Iron Fist is a really dumb excuse, especially since he'll in theory be the last one before Defenders.

There's an obvious build up going on here. Daredevil had some mysticism and supernatural. Jessica Jones will have even more with what Killgrave can do. Luke Cage probably more still. It only makes sense for Iron Fist to jump off the deep end before The Defenders. To me it has always been clear that this is their plan.

The guy asked him why the content wouldn't be fit if the only restrictions according to Marvel are no f-words and no nudity. That's not a crazy question. He continued and continues to ignore it and just be a jerk about it.

Well, BobbyRoberts gonna BobbyRoberts.

But the simple answer would probably be that those aren't actually the only restrictions, and that most of the MAX Punisher books have been considerably more gory and violent than even Daredevil.

Mariolee

Following the thread of posts between BobbyRoberts and the other guy, I gotta side with Bobby just because (and I'm obviously biasly paraphrasing here) the other guy is pretty much saying "I have a blanket statement and I believe everything fits into it" while Bobby is saying "That's not true, look at this specific example and read about it" while the other guy is retorting "I don't believe you. Specific examples have nothing to do with my general statement (which makes no sense)."

It's difficult to explain sometimes to define what makes up a piece of media and Bobby was simply pointing him to actually read the comics before making a blanket statement based on nearly nothing like that.

Fury451

Banned
If they still want to do the Defenders I don't see The Punisher fitting into that.

Not unless he takes an antagonist role, which could be a pretty good juxtaposition. That would be quite interesting. But having a trio instead of the four of them like intended would be a pretty big loss I think.

It also bears noting that the supposed "no restrictions except nudity, smoking, and F-bombs" is in the context of an adaptation of Alias, which was really pretty tame by MAX standards, for the most part. Yes, it had copious profanity and the infamous strongly-implied anal sex in the first issue, but none of the violence was particularly graphic and there was very little nudity or sex beyond that one scene.

E the Shaggy

At the end of the day, Iron Fist would probably cost more to make than Punisher, and probably get less viewers regardless.

Much as I don't like it, seems like a good move business wise.

needs to be a Punisher/Luke Cage buddy show
71716-3855-104714-1-punisher-the_super.jpg

Daredevil was already CLEARLY there by the end of the series.

Grazzt

Noooo
Punisher is cool, but Iron Fist has so many cooler mythic elements which would be an important part of MCU.

antonz

I imagine what is really driving this possibility is Iron Fist isn't off the ground yet meanwhile they already have a Punisher actor they are high on etc. and could get it going at a much quicker pace.

They don't want to stall and have Bernthal get busy with something else after already establishing him as Frank

That would piss me off. I was looking very much forward to the Iron Fist show. Plus, I hate when Punisher gets his own series or movie or whatever. He always works best as a once-in-a-while thing.

Well, BobbyRoberts gonna BobbyRoberts

Check the name again.

That's not a crazy question.

It's crazy how people react so negatively to the idea that it's better to know what you're talking about before you start talking. Like even suggesting such a thing is somehow out-of-bounds or something.

They could always backdoor Iron Fist into a co leading role with Luke Cage season 2 anyhow

I was thinking that'd probably be the best bet when this first got announced. Luke gets intro'd in Jessica, Danny gets intro'd in Luke. But instead, there wasn't a plan for Danny at all, apparently.

FFS Marvel, you can't find anyone to do Iron Fist but you found someone for Antman/Guardians/Strange?

Those are movies with much bigger budgets and which are very fantastical in tone.

Which, maybe IF should have been in the first place, if Marvel was so keen on keeping the first three Netflix series so (relatively) grounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom