• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(RUMOR) Marvel considering replacing Iron Fist with Punisher series

Status
Not open for further replies.
FUCK YEAH.

It'd be cool to get Iron Fist but if it doesn't happen, I've been wanting a Punisher series for YEARS.

I'm AMPED SO AMPED RIGHT THE FUCK NOW SO HARD

I am not arguing specifics.

Then why are you responding to me and my very specific point in the first place?

Yes, the specifics matter. The specifics are why I'm saying what I'm saying.

This is tedious as hell. You don't actually have any familiarity with the specific works I'm talking about, yet you're arguing that they could be easily adapted within the limitations. But you don't know whether they could or not because you've never read them. And when I remind you that you're trying to apply a general argument to a specific example while also being ignorant of said example, you keep telling me "so what."

Okay.

Blader

That was before they green light DD for a second season. Does DD just not get a 3rd season or do we cap all the shows at 2 seasons?

They've ordered four shows (plus The Defenders), but that doesn't mean each show is capped at 1 or 2 seasons. A third season of DD would just follow The Defenders.

As violent as Daredevil was by Marvel standards, I'm not sure it really approached hard-R levels of violence except maybe in the head impalement suicide. The car door decapitation was mostly offscreen and in long shot, with the camera focusing on Fisk rather than his victim.

But there have been plenty of good non-MAX Punisher comics in the past decade and a half, including those by Ennis himself, so I don't see a "PG-16" adaptation as being unworkable. Would much rather get Iron Fist, though, and it's asinine that Marvel possibly didn't think these potential problems through before announcing the series.

It seems like every other week we get a "Iron Fist replaced by X show" rumor. Last time it was Moon Knight and then Shang Chi...now Punisher.

I need my Iron Fist show, and with how heavy the Iron Fist history factored into DD, I really doubt this will happen.

number11

Why was Iron Fist announced in the first place? Was there zero discussion/planning at all about what the show would be like?

I'm torn on this rumor. Iron Fist has always been lame but he fits better than Frank Castle in this type of universe. I'd rather they make Iron Fist a part of this show and make a stand-alone show for Frank.

Walpurgis

Banned
Daredevil was a hard PG-13. Only thing that was really objectionable was the car door scene.

Moon Knight>Punisher>Iron Fist.

Do MK Mahvel. Pls.

The fight scenes in general were R. PG-13 fights don't have even close to that much blood. Just watch Wolverine fight in any X film.

For TV, the fights could be 14+ though.

Then why are you responding to me and my very specific point in the first place?

This is tedious as hell. You don't actually have any familiarity with the specific works I'm talking about, yet you're arguing that they could be easily adapted within the limitations. But you don't know whether they could or not because you've never read them. And when I remind you that you're trying to apply a general argument to a specific example while also being ignorant of said example, you keep telling me "so what."

Okay.

Did I say easily? I don't remember saying easily. And I'm not claiming that the version with restrictions would be the best version, just that it could be done. It's obvious you don't agree with that and that is fine. And the reason I say the specifics are irrelevant is because I believe they are. Just like I said with Watchmen, I believe that any, yes any, relevant IP can be adapted given those restrictions, no matter how much violence, sex, drugs, swearing, or anything else is included. Would it be the best version of said IP? No. But it can be done, and at worst semi-faithfully. Whether you are willing to accept that is down to preference or opinion.

Why was Iron Fist announced in the first place? Was there zero discussion/planning at all about what the show would be like?
It really would beg the question, wouldn't it? You wouldn't think they'd need a detailed series plot breakdown for these potential issues to come up.
The fight scenes in general were R. PG-13 fights don't have even close to that much blood. Just watch Wolverine fight in any X film.

For TV, the fights could be 14+ though.

R, perhaps, but soft R for the most part.

Anth0ny

aoz8kgx8pzknypz7z38n.jpg

simple

does NOT have to be one or the other

kirblar

Because he's friends with Luke Cage, and Cage/Jones/Murdock are pretty inextricably linked. Iron Fist really wasn't involved in the Bendis-era Daredevil/Alias stories though.

Jawmuncher

I wouldn't mind. Especially since the entire time I was watching Daredevil. Punisher was the main thing I was thinking about.

Disappointing. Looks like I'll need to read some Iron Fist at some point, though.
Am I the only person that thinks the Punisher is lame?
Nope. I do.
Not as lame as Carol, Barry, or Drew. But he is pretty one dimensional, and shallow. So yeah lame
Barry is the worst.
Because he's friends with Luke Cage, and Cage/Jones/Murdock are pretty inextricably linked. Iron Fist really wasn't involved in the Bendis-era Daredevil/Alias stories though.

He worked with Cage while Matt was being besieged by the whole "YOU'RE THE DAREDEVILZ?!" thing. Beyond that he didn't do too much. Cage and Jessica spent more time with Matt, and Cage gave him a stern talking to.

anaron

Eh, they should bump Mockingbird into a Netflix series and have her be a Defender.

Bobbi gets a high budget cable quality show and the team is less of a sausage fest.

Because they planned this whole thing around having a team of Defenders to do a series about, and Iron Fist makes just as much sense being on that team than anyone else.

Gonzalez

Banned
Good... Why the hell were they planning on having two shows about vigilante martial-artists anyway?

That would have been a really bad idea.

Hystzen

Banshee is ending this season get them handle the fight scenes and directing while get a writer for it. Iron fist is martial arts and magic it can't be that hard

Acidote

I want a Punisher series more than anything. If they have to cancel Iron Fist to have Punisher so be it. But I'd rather have both.

Daredevil was a hard PG-13. Only thing that was really objectionable was the car door scene.

I wish the rest of the show was more like that scene. I have hopes that would be the usual stuff in a Punisher show.

Jonm1010

Banned
As violent as Daredevil was by Marvel standards, I'm not sure it really approached hard-R levels of violence except maybe in the head impalement suicide. The car door decapitation was mostly offscreen and in long shot, with the camera focusing on Fisk rather than his victim.

But there have been plenty of good non-MAX Punisher comics in the past decade and a half, including those by Ennis himself, so I don't see a "PG-16" adaptation as being unworkable. Would much rather get Iron Fist, though, and it's asinine that Marvel possibly didn't think these potential problems through before announcing the series.

Daredevil was most certainly R-rated. That level of blood and violent, visible and/or heavily implied death just isn't allowed in pg-13 movies today.

That's pretty much why I don't understand why they don't just go all out and make a Punisher series. It's not like what they have now isn't R-rated.

Heck it's not even soft R. Soft R is Spawn 97 R rated version. It barely has any added blood but even that little bit was enough to push it over. Daredevil goes way past that.

Xyrmellon

For all you folks that are getting worried about the level of violence in a Punisher series, did you watch Daredevil??? That was violent as hell.

IrishNinja

better be BS, danny needs his moment to shine
totally just got my iron fist halloween costume in too

Awful idea. Punisher should get a show, but later. Iron Fist is the most exciting of the four, and losing that would be awful.

this dude knows what's up

Can't take a source that talks about a Spider Woman show seriously.

oh, is this like rich johnston type shit? phew

I absolutely don't blame them and if it came down to it i would rather have a Punisher series than a Iron Fist. Also, if the Moon Knight rumors are true i would also rather have Moon Knight over Iron Fist.

netflix you have us pitting Moony and Fist against each other
see what you've done

I'd rather have a Moon Knight show based on Warren Ellis' recent run.

god, can you imagine? that'd be so great

don't want this either, though he'd be an awesome cameo

I'd much rather have Iron Fist than Punisher. Frank Castle is only any good as a supporting character in other people's stories where it's made clear that he's an insane wrongheaded asshole. When he's actually the protagonist it really doesn't work (though Garth Ennis's completely insane Punisher run was at least enjoyable in a written-by-a-thirteen-year-old kind of way).

Iron Fist is tons of fun though. Much neater powers than just super-strength.

Daredevil was most certainly R-rated. That level of blood and violent, visible and/or heavily implied death just isn't allowed in pg-13 movies today.

That's pretty much why I don't understand why they don't just go all out and make a Punisher series. It's not like what they have now isn't R-rated.

Heck it's not even soft R. Soft R is Spawn 97 R rated version. It barely has any added blood but even that little bit was enough to push it over. Daredevil goes way past that.

It was definitely not hard R, with maybe the exception of the spike scene. Hard-R violence is heads being bashed in or blown off, dismemberment with arterial spray, that sort of thing.

better be BS, danny needs his moment to shine
totally just got my iron fist halloween costume in too

this dude knows what's up

oh, is this like rich johnston type shit? phew

netflix you have us pitting Moony and Fist against each other
see what you've done

god, can you imagine? that'd be so great

don't want this either, though he'd be an awesome cameo

Ironically, Rich himself now says his own sources tell him that Iron Fist is safe.

Jonm1010

Banned
It was definitely not hard R, with maybe the exception of the spike scene. Hard-R violence is heads being bashed in or blown off, dismemberment with arterial spray, that sort of thing.
I didn't say it was hard R, I said it wasn't soft R.

Soft R is Kings Speech, Shakespeare in Love, Spawn R rated version. Daredevil was a solid R. There would be no questioning it with the MPAA. You bring them a film with that level of blood and violence and it's a quick R and move on to the next one.

Dalek

You'll have to forgive me if I don't believe "Peel The Orange". Seriously guys, don't give them the clicks.

Pau

Much rather have Iron Fist than Punisher. Actually would rather have most anything over Punisher. Only cared for the character when Molly Hayes punched him.

Nyanmaruz

If Iron Fist does get cancelled, I hope Feige would take this as an opportunity to bring Iron Fist into Phase 4 and use it as a gateway to bring in the netflix heroes in the movies.
But seriously tho, I am still 90% sure Iron Fist is going to happen on netflix.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
You know, as much as I love Iron Fist, I'd still pick a Punisher series over it anyday. So bring it on. Daredevil s2 just isn't enough.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I'm more than fine with Castle as a villain/anti-hero for Daredevil Season 2, and I'd think him getting his own series is inevitable. But outright replacing Iron Fist? Nah. Not cool.

VanWinkle

Okay.

Holy crap dude, what is wrong with you? Why don't you just TELL HIM why the run you like wouldn't work in the confines of Marvel's restrictions?

IrishNinja

i mean, Ennis' MAX series made 1D punisher seem interesting at points, but some of ya'll should really let frank play out on the vastly superior DD show before making this call

Ironically, Rich himself now says his own sources tell him that Iron Fist is safe.

lol, jesus. Probably racked up plenty of clicks along the way too.

choosing to believe rich's BS over whatever this site is, then

TDLink

I don't know how it's so hard to figure out Iron Fist. Just adapt Fraction's Immortal Iron Fist. I mean, really.

I would have thought they had a plan in place when they announced the 4 shows. To me it seems like they definitely did for Daredevil and Jessica Jones. It remains to be seen with Luke Cage, but I assume so there also. So why would Iron Fist be different?

I just don't get all these rumours. I feel like they mostly stem from the lack of news, but he was always going to be the last show so it isn't really odd that we haven't heard anything yet.

Then again, maybe these people are right. I don't really know. But it would definitely be a shame if we don't get Iron Fist. He's such a great character and has big potential as either a film or television series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom