• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Microsoft "Considering" Hitman Studio IO Interactive Acquisition, more new studios: "they aren't done."

Normally, I would say that Microsoft does not have a good track record of managing studios. But buying talented but struggling studios seems to be a great idea. I just hope it ends well and we avoid losing these developers entirely due to a talent exodus or a shut down.

Elenchus

Banned
The X didn't make a statement to anyone outside of those who follow the industry closely, and that's not who Microsoft has a problem with currently. No one was ever convinced Microsoft couldn't handle hardware, they just fucked up with the release of the Xbone. So if your argument is that the X was an answer to the already devoted, then yeah you have a great point. The rest of the world saw a $500 pricetag and didn't give a shit, that's what I'm saying. No perception was changed to anyone who mattered.

I have no idea what you’re talking about. It’s almost as if you just started following tech and have no clue how consumers generally make these purchasing decisions.

The hardcore enthusiasts reach a general consensus about the quality of a piece of tech and that spec focused analysis filters down to the casual consumers as a simple judgment of “good” or “bad”; “weak” or “powerful”; etc etc.

At the start of this generation, consumers were absolutely cognizant of PS4’s power advantage. They were not aware of how small it was in reality but that only further worked to Sony’s benefit.

Had MS not seized the power advantage, the doubts of the hardcore that “MS is a software company and can’t compete with a hardware company like Sony” would have placed a cloud over the launch of Scarlett.

We would’ve been hearing warnings that you can’t buy Xbox hardware at launch because it might suffer another red ring of death. We would’ve heard more about how MS’s engineers are too inept to make a small sleek design with an internal power brick. More “we should expect another VCR” jokes.

All of that would’ve have filtered through tech media to sites like Cnet where so many go for tech buying advice. The 1X stands as a physical rebuttal to all those arguments. MS’s critics have not moved onto games because they chose to do do; they moved on because they were forced to do so.

The 1X seized control of the narrative on hardware. These studio purchases will address the software. These are all long term investments in the industry and gamers are right to be excited about them.

pr0cs

Was talking with friends last night. If the IO deal is legit I'd love to see them reboot splinter cell

Was talking with friends last night. If the IO deal is legit I'd love to see them reboot splinter cell

Don't think IO would be the right studio to make a Splinter Cell game. Especially since they can barely handle hitman.

Oh and Ubisoft owns the franchise.

pr0cs

Don't think IO would be the right studio to make a Splinter Cell game. Especially since they can barely handle hitman.

Oh and Ubisoft owns the franchise.
Ah for some reason I always attributed splinter cell with Xbox.
I don't know about them barely being able to "handle" hitman but I do feel that franchise has run its course.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
They were not aware of how small it was in reality but that only further worked to Sony’s benefit.

Considering Xbox One X’s power advantage percentage wise over the Pro is essentially the same as the one PS4 had over the Xbox One... well it is a bit amusing :).

Still yes, it was essentially for MS to capture the performance crown again. Not for the engineers’ pride nor because someone doubted that with their resources coming from their PC monopoly they could not hire enough brilliant people to make good HW, but because raw brute performance was the core marketing essence of the entire brand.

Hence, when they lost this advantage they fought tooth and nail to whitewash it or to shrug it off PR wise (“we would never cede a 40% advantage to Sony”, “inventors of Direct X”, “it is not that much faster”, etc...) and it was a message their fanbase could resonate with.

Last edited:

WaterAstro

Probably shouldn't make statements like that even if they are true because people got banned when they couldn't prove their sources.
Considering Xbox One X’s power advantage percentage wise over the Pro is essentially the same as the one PS4 had over the Xbox One... well it is a bit amusing :).

Still yes, it was essentially for MS to capture the performance crown again. Not for the engineers’ pride nor because someone doubted that with their resources coming from their PC monopoly they could not hire enough brilliant people to make good HW, but because raw brute performance was the core marketing essence of the entire brand.

Hence, when they lost this advantage they fought tooth and nail to whitewash it or to shrug it off PR wise (“we would never cede a 40% advantage to Sony”, “inventors of Direct X”, “it is not that much faster”, etc...) and it was a message their fanbase could resonate with.
I always thought og PS4 performance advantage over og Xbone to be negligible. I think XboneX has a bigger graphical performance than PS4 Pro compared to the former comparison.

Regardless, the PS4 sold way better at launch not because of graphical performances. It sold because it was $100 cheaper and had a lot more games going on for it because indies filled the void.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Probably shouldn't make statements like that even if they are true because people got banned when they couldn't prove their sources.

I always thought og PS4 performance advantage over og Xbone to be negligible. I think XboneX has a bigger graphical performance than PS4 Pro compared to the former comparison.

Regardless, the PS4 sold way better at launch not because of graphical performances. It sold because it was $100 cheaper and had a lot more games going on for it because indies filled the void.

Fair enough, but regardless of how we felt the numbers are there :).

WaterAstro

Fair enough, but regardless of how we felt the numbers are there :).
At launch, it was really a battle between a few frames, but the year advantage and $100 more, the XboneX should definitely be more powerful. It's not just a few frames, but literal resolution differences of 2k to 4k depending on the game. I've never been too caught up in this argument because XboneX fans are paying more for the difference. It's like if someone bought a Titan, I'll let them talk trash at me because I know I saved my money.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Buying financially troubled development houses to aid your own struggling console business is probably not the best plan ever presented in a boardroom. I'm just fascinated that Microsoft keeps doing it.

EDIT: Having owned their products now in this space for a decade and a half, my observation has been that Microsoft is very into checking boxes, even when it doesn't benefit them. They did it with Kinect when the Wii craze was dying out. "See guys! We've got waggle too!" They did it with the X this generation after Sony brought out the Pro. "See guys! We have the most powerful system!" And now they seem to be doing it in response to their lack of studios. "See guys! We own all these development houses!"

It's all very formulaic to them, as if they can just tick off boxes and magically reverse what Mattrick did to them. It's going to be a long uphill slog, and it's going to require brilliant moves rather than just a fat wallet. Ask George Steinbrenner.

This is the most short sighted post I've seen here in a long ass time.

Ah for some reason I always attributed splinter cell with Xbox.
I don't know about them barely being able to "handle" hitman but I do feel that franchise has run its course.

Well it is a known brand associated with Xbox, just not owned by MS.

Also, they went through numerous games after contracts, heck even 2 getting backlash from the fans until absolution just ran everyone off. Hitman can be good but they don't seem to be able to turn Hitman into an anticipated franchise. They don't really have anything else going on either. If IO makes a new IP before being brought and it ends up working out then I can see why any company would consider buying them.

CeeJay

Open up Microsoft Studios Japan, Microsoft Studios UK, and so on. Then fill those satellite branches with the best designers and artists coming out of those respective markets. Problem solved.
So just create a studio from thin air and fill it full of interns and graduates? Is that your suggestion?

Zewp

The narrative was about raw power ever since the OG console launched as Xbox has always been about performance über alles (“No power greater than X”), Xbox One tried to PR their way into not making people think they did not make a misstep: “We invented DirectX... do you think we would let them be 40% faster?”, “In the end it is still 1080p on screen, right?!”, as well as what was picked up by astroturfers “you would need to sit so very close to the TV to notice the difference” (apparently those people have changed their seating habits when thinking about how much true 4K is better than 4Kpr ;)).

Still, yes... they have the fastest console, nobody disputes that. It was just funny for a while to see early on the generation the “the fastest HW never wins” mantra repeated over and over again... :).

To be fair, from the Sony fanboy side there was also a big fuss made about how the PS4 outperforms the Xbone and blah blah blah. Then the X launched and suddenly the same people are now all "graphics don't matter".

Both sides have a tendency to flipflop according to what is most convenient at the time.

Zewp

Buying financially troubled development houses to aid your own struggling console business is probably not the best plan ever presented in a boardroom. I'm just fascinated that Microsoft keeps doing it.

EDIT: Having owned their products now in this space for a decade and a half, my observation has been that Microsoft is very into checking boxes, even when it doesn't benefit them. They did it with Kinect when the Wii craze was dying out. "See guys! We've got waggle too!" They did it with the X this generation after Sony brought out the Pro. "See guys! We have the most powerful system!" And now they seem to be doing it in response to their lack of studios. "See guys! We own all these development houses!"

It's all very formulaic to them, as if they can just tick off boxes and magically reverse what Mattrick did to them. It's going to be a long uphill slog, and it's going to require brilliant moves rather than just a fat wallet. Ask George Steinbrenner.

Really now. They're trying to fix everything that people have been complaining about for the past 5 years and your response is "it's formulaic"?

You just can't win. Had they not actively tried to fix what was wrong with their platform, you'd probably be giving them flak for that too.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
To be fair, from the Sony fanboy side there was also a big fuss made about how the PS4 outperforms the Xbone and blah blah blah. Then the X launched and suddenly the same people are now all "graphics don't matter".

Both sides have a tendency to flipflop according to what is most convenient at the time.
Exactly.

Right away when BF4 was 900p on PS4 and 720p on Xbox One it was immediate fanboyism that the PS4 was higher. Then a lot of higher budget games were 1080p on PS4 and Xbox One was 900p. That went on for probably 3 years of bickering.

It got to a point, nobody really cared anymore as it wasn't going to change and then Pro came out making PS systems have an even better advantage.

X comes out and blows away all other PS systems and of course One OG (and it even comes with a 4k drive), and every Sony fan who were all gung ho about 1080p and fanboy wars about that extra 180p worth of pixels being a deal breaker for a PS4 advantage suddenly zipped it.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads

Man, this is bullshit! That IS NOT the reason why the PS4 was a runaway success in the beginning. Sony didnt have squat for games, and fucking Indies WILL NEVER be the reason buy consoles. $100 cheaper, that had something to do with it -- I'll go with that, and I'll highly disagree that it had nothing to do with graphical performance. That too is total bullshit.

In the beginning, MS jacked shit up by stumbling with the presentation which gamers thoroughly gave push back. E3 was LOADED with games though. People assume Sony is king this gen because they've always had the games, that's a lie. Sony was a HUGE benefactor of Microsoft's earlier blunders, and were able to back peddle on the DRM fiasco before they too were tainted for ant-consumer BS. Plus the PS4 was pumping out 1080p games with ease and putting a curb stomp on the same 3rd party games that were 720p-900p on Xbox One. That was HUGE in the beginning.

That wont be happening again. Its why Sony is backing off of E3 next year. Microsoft is coming with some bangers and Sony doesn't have enough content (that we havent seen from the last three E3 shows) to war against it. Better to appear weak and live to fight another day, than it is to show up and remove all doubt.

Wasnt even trying to go into a rant but...that old lie keeps swirling 'round n' round.... Jesus. How long does it take that toilet to flush???

Last edited:
But buying up studios and releasing niche expensive hardware just because IS throwing money around. That's what I'm getting at.

In a way, I'm the audience Microsoft is losing. I own an S, not an X and I won't buy an X because it'll be dead too soon to justify the cost (although the backwards compatibility stuff looks awesome). I'm not happy with where the S is, and as an S owner, which is what makes up the vast majority of Xbox owners wordwide, how did the X do anything except further alienate someone who already dedicated hundreds of dollars on hardware? In fact, for some, they'd already replaced one Xbox console this generation with the S, and now Microsoft release another system. It's very bad optics. The message it sends is that they wanted to speak to the hardcore, 4k owning crowd, but that crowd is small compared to who actually buys most of the consoles that get sold. Some in this thread have posited that Microsoft (to go back to my baseball analogy) isn't even interested in winning the world series, but that's horse shit. All companies are in it to win. You don't buy software houses and release expensive hardware revisions just because. The S has been struggling and Microsoft's answer was to release an expensive 4k option and a "the games are coming" message? That doesn't cut it. To most of the world, the Xbox is still represented by the experience one gets from the S -- that's the experience the vast majority of the people are having with the Xbox name. On this forum, it seems people view the X as a symbol to the world that Microsoft is righting the ship, but to me, all it did was make me more indifferent. The X doesn't hurt or help my circumstance with the Xbox. It doesn't make me play it less, but it doesn't make me play it more, either. I've played with a lot of analogies, but Microsoft focusing on the X so heavily has been like someone stitching a cut on their thumb while ignoring that their leg has been lopped off by a hay sickle.

Being critical of the Xbox is well-earned and deserved in my opinion, and while some of it is trolling, most isn't. A lot of it is grounded in how disgruntled people are with the direction of the company and to us S owners, the X didn't change that. In fact, the message it sent me, loud and clear, was NOT to buy an Xbox at launch, because they'll be releasing a more powerful revision a few years in and they'll focus on that.

Not sure why you're rambling on about the X and feeling the others are being ignored. Your are still getting the same games like Red Dead 2 plus Horizon 4.

I think the biggest problem will be an overlap if you already have a PS4 since many of the same titles appear on both. The X is better positioned against that because of the better hardware but it's no secret Sony has a deeper library of exclusives.

This has always been Microsoft's Achilles Heel the fact they sell a similar box to the Playstation. Nintendo had gone their own direction years ago. This is why they will be pushing streaming, Game Pass, PC with play anywhere. The good news is they seem hungry to compete now with First party more.

So yes I can see why Xbox One owners may be disappointed if they also have a PS4 but next gen it looks like they will be much more competitive in the first party output.

Elenchus

Banned
At launch, it was really a battle between a few frames, but the year advantage and $100 more, the XboneX should definitely be more powerful. It's not just a few frames, but literal resolution differences of 2k to 4k depending on the game. I've never been too caught up in this argument because XboneX fans are paying more for the difference. It's like if someone bought a Titan, I'll let them talk trash at me because I know I saved my money.

I just don’t understand why so many use the 1X’s one year release after the Pro as an excuse for every aspect of the performance gap. If the Pro was aiming at a lower performance target that should have resulted in a quieter and cooler console.

Instead the Pro runs hotter and louder while performing under less stress. The year is irrelevant to those issues as Sony’s engineers would have gone with Pro’s vastly inferior cooling design regardless of the release date.

In fact, if we make the reasonable assumption that 1X’s cooling design is protected intellectual property, it only further supports the argument that the design innovations arising from the launch of the 1X put MS ahead of Sony in the power race going forward.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The difference between X and OG and Ps4 Pro vs PS4 is apples to oranges.

X is miles better than Xbox OG in every way, both specs and form factor. Pro has better specs than OG, but it's mostly from the gpu doing much better TF. The rest of the increases are small. You also get a bigger louder form factor too.

So basically, Sony rushed out Pro which is basically taping another GPU to it (and a bit more), while X is totally different.

Then again, X got a year more and costs $100 too.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I just don’t understand why so many use the 1X’s one year release after the Pro as an excuse for every aspect of the performance gap. If the Pro was aiming at a lower performance target that should have resulted in a quieter and cooler console.

Instead the Pro runs hotter and louder while performing under less stress. The year is irrelevant to those issues as Sony’s engineers would have gone with Pro’s vastly inferior cooling design regardless of the release date.

In fact, if we make the reasonable assumption that 1X’s cooling design is protected intellectual property, it only further supports the argument that the design innovations arising from the launch of the 1X put MS ahead of Sony in the power race going forward.

Vapor chamber cooling has been around for years, there's nothing especially novel about it. Its a time-tested approach for hot-running chips, which is basically the situation with the One X. Its APU isn't actually more "modern" than the Pro, it, and its memory subsystem is just clocked a lot higher.

Last edited:

First off he said if the deal is legit, we all know your crossing every finger and toe for it not to happen now that you got your circulation back from the Obsidian deal.

Second of all please tell me all these great games the PS4 started out with because just like the PS3 launch window it was average at best. The worst Killzone game, Knack and the highlight being an indie title.

goldenpp72

Man, this is bullshit! That IS NOT the reason why the PS4 was a runaway success in the beginning. Sony didnt have squat for games, and fucking Indies WILL NEVER be the reason buy consoles. $100 cheaper, that had something to do with it -- I'll go with that, and I'll highly disagree that it had nothing to do with graphical performance. That too is total bullshit.

In the beginning, MS jacked shit up by stumbling with the presentation which gamers thoroughly gave push back. E3 was LOADED with games though. People assume Sony is king this gen because they've always had the games, that's a lie. Sony was a HUGE benefactor of Microsoft's earlier blunders, and were able to back peddle on the DRM fiasco before they too were tainted for ant-consumer BS. Plus the PS4 was pumping out 1080p games with ease and putting a curb stomp on the same 3rd party games that were 720p-900p on Xbox One. That was HUGE in the beginning.

That wont be happening again. Its why Sony is backing off of E3 next year. Microsoft is coming with some bangers and Sony doesn't have enough content (that we havent seen from the last three E3 shows) to war against it. Better to appear weak and live to fight another day, than it is to show up and remove all doubt.

Wasnt even trying to go into a rant but...that old lie keeps swirling 'round n' round.... Jesus. How long does it take that toilet to flush???

Microsoft can't win a console war because no one buys the system outside of the UK and US. Even the 360 which was an astonishing success for them technically lost sales wise despite being on the market quite a bit longer. Sony launched the PS3 in the worst way and had to climb uphill to recover, and their recovery was still enough to outsell 360. MS blundered similarly with Xbox One by launching a weaker system at 100 dollars more with unappealing software and a disastrous backlash from their horrible anti consumer attempts pre launch.

I think the 360 was amazing but Sony has a grip in Japan and European territories that MS can't loosen even when they fire on all cylinders, them beating Sony will require MS to amaze or Sony to stumble, or a mixture at this point.

EDMIX

Really now. They're trying to fix everything that people have been complaining about for the past 5 years and your response is "it's formulaic"?

You just can't win. Had they not actively tried to fix what was wrong with their platform, you'd probably be giving them flak for that too.

Well the part they are saying about it being a uphill battle isn't wrong. They shouldn't have to spend a whole generation trying to figure out how to make software correctly. Its an issue they are addressing yes, but the fact that they allowed it to go on as long as they did will always have me questioning this publisher until I actually see long term quality and creativity from their studios.

Its like EA giving out free DLC, folks are saying this about BFV, yet ignore EA has been doing that for years with other IP, Titanfall 2, Battlefront 2 and other received free DLC, Anthem is getting free story DLC for the life of the game, but its hard to get folks on board with what EA is doing NOW when they just spent most of the generation with DLC, season passes, buggy games at launch that feel rushed etc.

So EA doing free DLC RIGHT NOW, might not get everyone on board as the EA that charged for DLC like maps might have something else in mind. So is EA the "new" EA? Well it will take time to see if they keep doing this, that is no different then MS.

It will take a while before folks believe they are legit supporting new teams, new IP and actually really competing against Sony on a level playing field vs Halo, Gears, Forza combo to death. I think folks will come around, but it will take a long time for that to really happen and its all based on if MS is even being legit with their change.

Well the part they are saying about it being a uphill battle isn't wrong. They shouldn't have to spend a whole generation trying to figure out how to make software correctly. Its an issue they are addressing yes, but the fact that they allowed it to go on as long as they did will always have me questioning this publisher until I actually see long term quality and creativity from their studios.

Its like EA giving out free DLC, folks are saying this about BFV, yet ignore EA has been doing that for years with other IP, Titanfall 2, Battlefront 2 and other received free DLC, Anthem is getting free story DLC for the life of the game, but its hard to get folks on board with what EA is doing NOW when they just spent most of the generation with DLC, season passes, buggy games at launch that feel rushed etc.

So EA doing free DLC RIGHT NOW, might not get everyone on board as the EA that charged for DLC like maps might have something else in mind. So is EA the "new" EA? Well it will take time to see if they keep doing this, that is no different then MS.

It will take a while before folks believe they are legit supporting new teams, new IP and actually really competing against Sony on a level playing field vs Halo, Gears, Forza combo to death. I think folks will come around, but it will take a long time for that to really happen and its all based on if MS is even being legit with their change.
"vs Halo, Gears, Forza combo to death"

You mean like God of War, Uncharted, and GT to death?
This mantra about MS making sequels is stupid. All publishers do it, yet fanboys turn a blind eye to Sony's constant sequels. And MS has had more to offer than the main titles.
Tell me what publisher doesn't have main titles as sequels?
You seem incredibly invested in MS for someone that doesn't care for them.

dirthead

Banned
Please refrain from trolling and stick with the subject.
Microsoft's "not done" with gaming yet.

Thanos-infinity-stone.jpg

Pure cancer.

Microsoft can't win a console war because no one buys the system outside of the UK and US. Even the 360 which was an astonishing success for them technically lost sales wise despite being on the market quite a bit longer. Sony launched the PS3 in the worst way and had to climb uphill to recover, and their recovery was still enough to outsell 360. MS blundered similarly with Xbox One by launching a weaker system at 100 dollars more with unappealing software and a disastrous backlash from their horrible anti consumer attempts pre launch.

I think the 360 was amazing but Sony has a grip in Japan and European territories that MS can't loosen even when they fire on all cylinders, them beating Sony will require MS to amaze or Sony to stumble, or a mixture at this point.
"their recovery was still enough to outsell 360"

No matter how many times certain fans on this forum want to try and say this, it isn't true. Last official release numbers has the 360 ahead. The rest are guestimates and vgchartz. If PS3 ended up above 360, Sony would have been shouting it from the highest rooftops. It's what they do.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads

No matter how many times certain fans on this forum want to try and say this, it isn't true. Last official release numbers has the 360 ahead. The rest are guestimates and vgchartz. If PS3 ended up above 360, Sony would have been shouting it from the highest rooftops. It's what they do.
Agreed. 360 won the last generation. Technically Wii did, but Ninty does their own thing most of the time anyway. I dont know where Sony fans get that the PS3 suddenly ended up the victor last gen. It's patently false. Yet they dance around this false narrative like a sombrero. It's odd

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

This mantra about MS making sequels is stupid. All publishers do it, yet fanboys turn a blind eye to Sony's constant sequels. And MS has had more to offer than the main titles.
And Sony's annual baseball game. About 20 of them going all the way back to PS1, and counting. Every year another rehashed baseball game.

As for God of War, last gen on PS3 they released a ton of God of War sequels and compilation packs. Something like 5 GoW games in 5 or 6 years.

Last edited:

Another joke of a response. Not sure why you even bother now since you've already made it clear multiple times that they need to go an entire generation according to your expectations BEFORE you will even consider supporting them.

The irony is you keep telling everyone how you're a big time pc gamer. So why make such a big deal, just buy each game they create that interests you.

My goodness some of you make such a fuss about nothing. The answers are right there in front of you, buy the games, you already have the hardware. What the hell does long term have to do with anything.

Just more BS on top of the regular BS and now you're comparing it to EA free or paid DLC? Jesus you guys will say just about anything for attention.

EDMIX

Nope.

We got Uncharted last gen as a new IP, on top of The Last Of Us
We got God Of War, but we also go Spider Man
We got GT, but we also got DriveClub.

The issue isn't Halo, Gears or Forza existing, its that it is the MAIN FOCUS OF THE COMPANY VS NEW IP!!!!

The problem isn't again Halo, Gears, Forza, the issue is its that...TO DEATH! As in the teams are legit didicated to working on 1 IP and the publisher seems to be not looking to do not much else.

No one worries about getting Ratchet cause we got Spiderman, no one worries about getting a Killzone cause we got Horizion, no one is worried that we got Infamous because we are getting Ghost...

We can't say the same for MS right now bud, the issue was never those games existing, but simply nothing but them existing.

If Sony can make a Ratchet, GT and Killzone game while still making a bunch of new AAA IP, so can MS. The issue was never MS making established IPs, the issue was that was basically all they where doing.

No where did I say stop actually making those concepts. You jumping to massive assumptions here

EDMIX

And Sony's annual baseball game. About 20 of them going all the way back to PS1, and counting. Every year another rehashed baseball game.

As for God of War, last gen on PS3 they released a ton of God of War sequels and compilation packs. Something like 5 GoW games in 5 or 6 years.

Thats never really an issue because Sony isn't banking all their eggs in one basket and just making GT, God Of War and Uncharted like clock work.

Has nothing to do with having lots of sequels, has everything to do with having new IP to accompany those sequels....

So....not worried about getting a God Of War as the publisher has never just spent a whole gen just rehashing IP with zero new AAA concepts.

So seeing Killzone doesn't worry me when Horizon is a thing...

I'd start to worry if PS5 was just Killzone, GT and God Of War like clockwork, with NO NEW AAA IPS and just those same IPs over and over and over....

So I have no issue with 343 making Halo if they at least have something else happening in terms of a new IP or if MS themselves have plans to make new IP. That only becomes an issue when the publisher legit focusing the majority of their generation on those established IPs. Thats not happening at Sony. Ghost, Horizion, Death Stranding, Driveclub, Knack, Gravity Rush, Dreams and many more show this publisher is very much open to new IP from their established teams. That set up isn't happening at MS, thats the issue.

Nope.

The issue isn't Halo, Gears or Forza existing, its that it is the MAIN FOCUS OF THE COMPANY VS NEW IP!!!!

The problem isn't again Halo, Gears, Forza, the issue is its that...TO DEATH! As in the teams are legit didicated to working on 1 IP and the publisher seems to be not looking to do not much else.

No one worries about getting Ratchet cause we got Spiderman, no one worries about getting a Killzone cause we got Horizion, no one is worried that we got Infamous because we are getting Ghost...

We can't say the same for MS right now bud, the issue was never those games existing, but simply nothing but them existing.

If Sony can make a Ratchet, GT and Killzone game while still making a bunch of new AAA IP, so can MS. The issue was never MS making established IPs, the issue was that was basically all they where doing.

No where did I say stop actually making those concepts. You jumping to massive assumptions here

These new studios are not going to be making Halo and Gears. They bought them to diversify.

Sunset Overdrive, Sea of Thieves, Ori and the Blind Forest, Ryse, Quantum Break. It's not like they haven't tried with new IPs either. One of the best studios out there, Naughty Dog, will likely not create one new IP this entire generation so don't insult everyone thinking Sony is a new IP factory. Also since when is Spiderman a new IP?

Elenchus

Banned
Nope.

I don’t think we agree on much but this is a fair critique. Problem for me is that so many Sony fans are not recognizing that the leadership and direction of MS and Xbox has drastically changed.

Almost no one involved in the original launch of Xbox One is still in leadership currently. It’s fine to say that studios should have been purchased earlier but disingenuous to disregard the fact that the starting line up has changed and that the sheer scope in investment has diametrically changed alongside them.

This type of investment would’ve never happened under Myerson and Mattrick. It’s a new day and Sony would be very foolish to underestimate these guys.

Elenchus

Banned
Vapor chamber cooling has been around for years, there's nothing especially novel about it. Its a time-tested approach for hot-running chips, which is basically the situation with the One X. Its APU isn't actually more "modern" than the Pro, it, and its memory subsystem is just clocked a lot higher.

The concept may have been around for years but not MS’s particular implementation. And if that were truly the case that would only make Pro’s poor cooling design even more inexcusable.

I don’t think we agree on much but this is a fair critique. Problem for me is that so many Sony fans are not recognizing that the leadership and direction of MS and Xbox has drastically changed.

Almost no one involved in the original launch of Xbox One is still in leadership currently. It’s fine to say that studios should have been purchased earlier but disingenuous to disregard the fact that the starting line up has changed and that the sheer scope in investment has diametrically changed alongside them.

This type of investment would’ve never happened under Myerson and Mattrick. It’s a new day and Sony would be very foolish to underestimate these guys.

People like him want the narrative to remain negative. I really don't get his concern. If a good game comes he has a pc apparently to play them. So he doesn't need to go on and on every day. He has a PS4, is that not enough?

Think about it what exactly is his concern? What I think it is is that he just wants every game to come on the Playstation. That would make his life easier. Instead he acts like he wants an Xbox if they support these new studios for an entire generation? It just doesn't add up. He has a pc and a PS4 and we all know will buy a PS5 right away.

He's talking about problems that don't exist for him. It's concern trolling meant to hide he just wants every game to be on Playstation.

Kerotan

They can buy who they like, I dont trust MS and never will. EA and them have a disturbing vision for the future of gaming and every step they take is just a different route to the same destination.
This is an interesting observation. How many times have we seen high ups go from EA to MS or visa versa. How many times have they done exclusive game deals or exclusive marketing rights together. You can tell EA really want MS to be the top dog. It probably sickens them seeing Sony dominate so much.

These new studios are not going to be making Halo and Gears. They bought them to diversify.

Sunset Overdrive, Sea of Thieves, Ori and the Blind Forest, Ryse, Quantum Break. It's not like they haven't tried with new IPs either. One of the best studios out there, Naughty Dog, will likely not create one new IP this entire generation so don't insult everyone thinking Sony is a new IP factory. Also since when is Spiderman a new IP?
Took the word right out of my mouth. I'd add cuphead and Forza Horizon to this as well, being FH is a different beast, unique, and best overall in class within the racing genre. Sony has hammered home and recycled old IPs this generation with sequels and remasters of previous games as much as anyone. Uncharted, GoW, TLOU remaster, GTS, R&C, Killzone...
Also, why the hell is he saying they got Uncharted and TLOU as new IPs last gen? Rotfl. That's shooting himself in the foot as making my point. Let ND shove their SJW TLOU and Dude Raider down your throat as much as Sony wants, I guess.

This is an interesting observation. How many times have we seen high ups go from EA to MS or visa versa. How many times have they done exclusive game deals or exclusive marketing rights together. You can tell EA really want MS to be the top dog. It probably sickens them seeing Sony dominate so much.
You mean the same way Japanese developers ride Sony and wish for the westerns demise?

MadViking

Right away when BF4 was 900p on PS4 and 720p on Xbox One it was immediate fanboyism that the PS4 was higher. Then a lot of higher budget games were 1080p on PS4 and Xbox One was 900p. That went on for probably 3 years of bickering
I don't easily think it was fanboyism. In 2013 we already had 8 years of 720p gaming. Why would I want 720/900p console? Not only it was weaker, but much more expensive and had the forced kinect, which gamers hated at the time. The choice was pretty obvious.

goldenpp72

No one really knows what each ended at but all sources that deal in numbers give ps3 a small edge, it also launched a year later. There is no really great outlook here. The 360 had a 300 dollar launch sku, a solid launch lineup followed by a great built up lineup due to a year headstart, the best controller, online services, a big boost from Kinect, superior multiplatform releases.. Tons of exclusives too. Ps3 in comparison was a total disaster that spent a good part of its life taking mindshare losses due to losing all their third party exclusives one by one. In my mind the 360 trounced the PS3 in almost every way outside of Blu Ray support and free online I guess, yet the outcome was either it beating 360, tying it, or barely losing.

Xbox One on the other hand is under half of Ps4 and that gap will only grow. It's also likely to be outsold by the Switch by next year. This has always been an uphill fight for MS and it won't get any better unless they really innovate.

Last edited:

12Dannu123

No one really knows what each ended at but all sources that deal in numbers give ps3 a small edge, it also launched a year later. There is no really great outlook here. The 360 had a 300 dollar launch sku, a solid launch lineup followed by a great built up lineup due to a year headstart, the best controller, online services, a big boost from Kinect, superior multiplatform releases.. Tons of exclusives too. Ps3 in comparison was a total disaster that spent a good part of its life taking mindshare losses due to losing all their third party exclusives one by one. In my mind the 360 trounced the PS3 in almost every way outside of Blu Ray support and free online I guess, yet the outcome was either it beating 360, tying it, or barely losing.

Xbox One on the other hand is under half of Ps4 and that gap will only grow. It's also likely to be outsold by the Switch by next year. This has always been an uphill fight for MS and it won't get any better unless they really innovate.

Well it seems like they are innovating. XCloud for example provides a very long life ahead for XB1 Consoles. It's likely that every console released will be able to run XCloud when the console native support expires. Hence why we are seeing Microsoft releasing an XB1 Disc-less console this late.

What has Sony done? Absolutely nothing, Sony is known and always be known as a company that doesn't innovate and only responds. Heck even when they were first on something for once, (PSNow) they let the product suffer and has not made any improvements in their end of the platform, whereas Microsoft is aggressively investing in first party content while also preparing to solve latency problems with aggressive data center expansion.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Well it seems like they are innovating. XCloud for example provides a very long life ahead for XB1 Consoles. It's likely that every console released will be able to run XCloud when the console native support expires. Hence why we are seeing Microsoft releasing an XB1 Disc-less console this late.

What has Sony done? Absolutely nothing, Sony is known and always be known as a company that doesn't innovate and only responds. Heck even when they were first on something for once, (PSNow) they let the product suffer and has not made any improvements in their end of the platform, whereas Microsoft is aggressively investing in first party content while also preparing to solve latency problems with aggressive data center expansion.

You are comparing a new product that has not launched yet in the most optimistic light against a segment leading one in the most pessimistic one first and then yes MS is doing well by investing in first party content but the reason they are doing it now is essentially neglecting it before. It is the usual underdog sided argument...

Top Bottom