• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: NX more powerful than PS4, Splatoon/Mario Maker ports in development

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could the SCD also broadly describe any type of device connected to the main console that has it's own processors?

If they go with cartridges, that could include supplementary processors on the cartridge itself. Just like they did in the past. Even small SD card sized cartridges could have a small embedded chip on it.

I'm not sure what purpose they could serve, but the possibility is there.

Or maybe it could be an optical drive with an espresso on board that allows Wii U BC (also assuming the console doesn't have an optical drive.

Or, if the console already has an optical drive but also has that cartridge slot, that slot could actually be designed as an expansion slot instead of a game cartridge slot.

They could release a Wii U cartridge with esspresso that allows BC, and then release an upgrade cartridge in the future that essentially adds a second, stronger APU.

So something like the Saturn 4MB cart or N64 Expansion Pak, but for an APU instead of RAM? I guess that would depend on how the board design is set up.

If they did so and don't want to risk fragmenting the userbase too much, it'd need to be packed in with some kind of killer-app. Or even do what MS's done w/ W10 and make it a free upgrade for everyone who already bought the console earlier, and value-add it to a standard new SKU in lieu of price-cutting, but essentially taking the place of one and being the new default SKU.

Could work.

Doctre81

Dude let it be. Major sites have picked up more ridiculous rumors before.

Remember when IGN built that project Cafe PC based on "confirmed" specs?

10k's coming with another post no need to let make them work for something. :p

e42fbf3ba5391a69544e44529f80b55d.png
Ahh the memories lol.

Plum

Can yall just read 1 page back?

Sorry, must have missed that post. Still not well versed in famous GAF insiders.

Although now I've seen it... just when I thought I got out with the fake controller leaks, they pull me right back in.

Banned
No going back now. *10K
k
gulps loudly as beads of sweat hit his keyboard which has now shorted out*
You know it's always a lower case "k". 10k. Not 10K. Ugh that triggers my undiagnosed OCD :p
Sorry, must have missed that post. Still not well versed in famous GAF insiders.

Although now I've seen it... just when I thought I got out with the fake controller leaks, they pull me right back in.
I am neither famous, nor an insider. Just a messenger who took a swing at asking questions to people in the know and who must either trust me, can't contain their excitement and want to share it privately, want their info to get out but not draw attention, or are trolling me.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Trust me, I've never advocated measuring flops for anything substantial. :p The question is, doe these APIs even make a difference for consoles? I'd assume that Nintendo's graphics API will be based on Vulkan, but will that truly have any advantage beyond a more familiar and widespread development environment?

Yes even for X1 situation. The problem right now is most consoles don't have cpus to feed gpus properly. Even on a 4850, which is about where the WiiU punches me boosting a variety of new and old multicore showed decent gains. If an I3 can now touch an I7 with an equal GPU I'd say that's a hell of a difference to walk away from with a low level api at play.

Lower end cpus benefit more. The problem with vulkan like I mentioned in the last thread is what devs tools are there to make things easier for nintendo and developers on the platform. Nintendo needs this just as much as the power part if not more, sony and ms have been great in this area over the generation nintendo historically isn't to their own detriment. These apis are great for when you really start pushing things or more so over DX9/11 based games as it easier to developer shaders and effects that normally are a pain or imposible on them due to latency limits.

Jackano

So people are waiting for the next 10k's post? Following his yesderday tweet about Polaris is that it?
I will not neglect Tenkay's work but, have to say for my part, if I've noticed one or two really tiny bit of smoke, it's certainly not pointing toward Polaris.

Plum

10k movin up in the world.

One day we'll be saying there was Trevelyan999...LCGeek...Hideo Kojima...and 10k.

I am neither famous, nor an insider. Just a messenger who took a swing at asking questions to people in the know and who must either trust me, can't contain their excitement and want to share it privately, want their info to get out but not draw attention, or are trolling me.

My bad! Need to read up on my GAF (Evil)Lore.

Malus

Messenger and Insider are basically the same thing. People who make connections with sources and divulge info.

Embrace it...10k...Emily Rodgers..Shigeru Miyamoto...I'm glad I lived to see the beginnings of a legend. wipes tear

LordOfChaos

Even on a 4850, which is about where the WiiU punches

The Wii U...Punches around a 800 shader, 40TMU, 16ROP, 1Tflop card?

Damn near magic for something based around a similar architecture but with 160 shaders, iirc 8 TMUs & ROPs (or 16 TMUs, don't remember).

The above would put it in spitting range of the XBO. That it very much is not. It's closer to 1/6th of the 4850.

Between a 4550-4650 is probably where it should be

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
All of this talk about a relatively modern CPU and GPU. Emily Rogers, who has a pretty good track record, has done nothing to downplay them, and hype-inducing posts from LCGeek and 10k, including what might be a huge one coming up. In short:

blastoise9ak3p.gif

It's been 15 years since Nintendo launched with competitive hardware. This is the Final Fantasy XV of console news.

LCGeek

formerly sane
The Wii U...Punches around a 800 shader, 40TMU, 16ROP, 1Tflop card?

Damn near magic for something based around a similar architecture but with 160 shaders, iirc 8 TMUs & ROPs (or 16 TMUs, don't remember).

Yes it does.

Wether it's NFS:2010 hot pursuit or most wanted the most I can get out of it on this machine on 4850 is shit, will literally post my sapphire if I have to. Isn't even a 720p 60fps at best even on this machine which is a 3570 it's a unstable 720p at 30fps with that card. I would need a 560/6850 in order to get respectable performance like WiiU/360/Ps3 provided all which can do it with higher or better settings.

Windows is a fucking bloaty OS and older dx apis have tons of overhead too.

Malus

Emily Rogers, who has a pretty good track record, has done nothing to downplay them,

Has anybody asked her? Maybe she just doesn't know about it.

We already got Spongebob in Splatoon. What else do we want? Spongebob in Smash?

You hear that Nintendo? It's what the people want.

10k, thanks for sharing info that continues some discussion. I love reading this thread hourly. I wish I had the technical knowledge some of you guys have here so I could participate.

Hah, implying that most of us here posting have technical knowledge :p

Gifs and memes are a perfectly good substitute for knowledge. It got me through school.

10k, thanks for sharing info that continues some discussion. I love reading this thread hourly. I wish I had the technical knowledge some of you guys have here so I could participate.

Florist

Neo Member
This one feels like too much for me to get excited about. When things are too good I just gotta tilt my head a bit. I mean to have a 14nm Polaris is possible, maybe Nintendo decided it was worth it to get the extra horsepower and reduced power, but that coupled with a controller with all of those added features and a screen would get really expensive imo. Tho I guess it's still possible, I want it to be true.

If they're going the beefed up console route, I hope they sell the new gamepad separately (I'd buy it).

Meesh

I'm just a passenger myself brother :) I'm learning as we go too.

I can't wait for the meltdowns. From both sides.

People thinking Nintendo's gonna come out w/ some 4x PS4-level hardware are gonna be crying. People saying it's gonna be another Wii U are gonna be steaming. Nintendo's never historically gone for the most powerful hardware (clear-cut, anyway), nor have they historically had the most underpowered platform of a given generation.

There's no reason for them to buck that trend now b/c that hasn't been the biggest reason for their contraction in the console market, not even.

LordOfChaos

Yes it does.

Wether it's NFS:2010 hot pursuit or most wanted the most I can get out of it on this machine on 4850 is shit, will literally post my sapphire if I have to. Isn't even a 720p 60fps at best even on this machine which is a 3570 it's a unstable 720p at 30fps with that card. I would need a 560/6850 in order to get respectable performance like WiiU/360/Ps3 provided all which can do it with higher or better settings.

Windows is a fucking bloaty OS and older dx apis have tons of overhead too.

I was thinking more hardware level, where it's clearly a fraction of what the 4850 is. Any platforms version of any games can be fucked up, and yeah that was before Windows low level graphics APIs too.

Developers can always put more tuning into console versions, look at late life games working on the PS3 and 360 where Geforce 7800s/7600 hybrids or x1950s (with unified shaders) would be murdered on the same games. That doesn't make an Xbox 360 Radeon 7700 level or something though, it just means the game was tailored to it better. The hardware level still sits around the X1900 era.

The PS4 has hardware similar in execution resources to a 7850, so we say it's around a 7850, not that it punches well above that even if it may with console level APIs and tailoring to it.

Malus

People thinking Nintendo's gonna come out w/ some 4x PS4-level hardware are gonna be crying. People saying it's gonna be another Wii U are gonna be steaming.

I don't think anybody is thinking either of those things lol.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe

People thinking Nintendo's gonna come out w/ some 4x PS4-level hardware are gonna be crying. People saying it's gonna be another Wii U are gonna be steaming. Nintendo's never historically gone for the most powerful hardware (clear-cut, anyway), nor have they historically had the most underpowered platform of a given generation.

There's no reason for them to buck that trend now b/c that hasn't been the biggest reason for their contraction in the console market, not even.

They just did the bolded twice, back to back... and have always done that on handheld. Competitive hardware would be huge news. I don't think anyone is ever expecting Nintendo to pull an original Xbox or Xbox 360 in terms of relative power for the time released.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I must hope the sources of 7PS₃₆ keep a broom always. We're not out of the fire just yet.

With that said, I'm excited to see the next batch of peculiarity regarding NX.

philion

Neo Member
It needs to be the most powerful console on the market. It really does. Im getting tired of 2nd best. Its time to kickass and get it right.

They just did the bolded twice, back to back... and have always done that on handheld. Competitive hardware would be huge news. I don't think anyone is ever expecting Nintendo to pull an original Xbox or Xbox 360 in terms of relative power for the time released.

You're right. Lol I have zero idea how I forgot about Wii and Wii U. Was thinking more in terms of their....more core-orientated....systems.

By default the NX handheld'll be the most powerful b/c no one else wants in that game.

-Horizon-

You're right. Lol I have zero idea how I forgot about Wii and Wii U. Was thinking more in terms of their....more core-orientated....systems.

By default the NX handheld'll be the most powerful b/c no one else wants in that game.

No, now it'll get compared to the latest iphone and samsung phone because reasons.

Malus

Dude, I'm a member of PC Gaf and this is a shit post.

OT, is 10k posting tonight or is it happening early tomorrow?

It's happening whenever gaf gets around to verifying the new sources.

Quote for new page:

Nirolak Pm'd. It's a massive file containing screencaps I had with my sources, and members of techgaf to help me understand stuff (they know who they are). It could take awhile for Nirolak to read and it's Friday so I'm sure he's got better things to do. If I get the go ahead, I'll post it just like last time, take it as rumors and remember I am not the source of said rumors, I am just the messenger.

Of course if you follow my Twitter you likely know most of what I'm going to post (but not all).

I'm curious about the screencaps.

Dude, I'm a member of PC Gaf and this is a shit post.

I'm just saying, people who want power shouldn't look to consoles. Consoles are here to provide you ease of access to exclusive games. Nintendos third party woes are not going to end just because they put out another GameCube.

You know it's always a lower case "k". 10k. Not 10K. Ugh that triggers my undiagnosed OCD :p
I actually didn't mean to capitalize it and only realized after reading your tweet. So now those who make the same mistake will know.

By the way, does anybody remember that Luigi's Mansion NX rumor? Was that even close to being legit or was there some sort of validity? I want to believe it, but that means 3D Mario is even further away.

Malus

I actually didn't mean to capitalize it and only realized after reading your tweet. So now those who make the same mistake will know.

By the way, does anybody remember that Luigi's Mansion NX rumor? Was that even close to being legit or was there some sort of validity? I want to believe it, but that means 3D Mario is even further away.

10k said he heard LM3 was real, but wants more sources to verify.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I told 10k he could post whatever as long as he contextualized it. I'll be out for a while anyway, but I just wanted to establish I haven't been doing anything akin to bish checking.

I did suggest he give a general sense of confidence for each in the event some of this doesn't pan out so you're less disappointed, but I didn't require he do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom