• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Prey 2 cancelled, official statement due next week [Up: ZeniMax: No comment.]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Publishers demanded vagina doors. Human Head Studios were sick of rendering vagina doors.

Game press got word of this, and denied any further demos or interviews with developers who don't want to bring back the most lauded aspect of the first game.

Us enthusiast gamers were like, "no vagina doors, no sale". End of story.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I guess it depends when they signed their contract and what it said at the time.

It's any idTech that hasn't been released to the public. The sad irony of this news possibly being true was that Carmack was waiting to release idTech 4 until after Prey 2 shipped.

I get it when you want to keep your studios at advantage from the competitors by not license your engines, everyone do that like Ubi Anvil/Dunia for an example, sure keeping id tech 5 in house is good.

But id tech 4 is old, licensing it will be good business for them since they already have id Tech 5 (and id tech 6 is already in development iirc)Tech 4 is just seems useless for them now, and getting some extra money from it while they can should be the way to go.

But oh well..if this mean anything it mean other publishing picking this will be impossible and no no sleeping dogs true crime situation again for us( no engine will mean not selling the source code anyway and Human Head will have to start start from the scratch and that will never happen)

:(

Eusis

Yeah, it's a frustrating situation. Had Bethesda been a more awesome publisher beyond their own stuff it probably wouldn't be an issue, but it sounds like they have serious problems beyond internally developed stuff.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Kickstarter?

Imagine you run a team of 100 people, and each of those people costs you $4000 a month to keep employed (this figure is too low at 48k a year; taxes, benefits, and costs for office space and equipment would certainly make this figure higher). Imagine you put on a Kickstarter for 2 months to raise $1,000,000.

You make $1,000,000. Minus the fees. Minus the $800,000 you just burned through during the Kickstarter. You've got maybe $100,000 left, which is enough to employ a quarter of your studio for another month or all of your studio for another week.

Derrick01

Banned
I wrote here why I think Dishonored might do rather well. Its audience is limited but pretty passionate and knows what's up.

Yeah I think people forget how well Human Revolution did on Steam because Skyrim blew the numbers away. Before Skyrim, HR was pulling like 55-65k concurrent users which for a single player game was amazing at the time.

I mean Dishonored will likely not sell 5+ million but I think it could easily do 2-3 if it's marketed well enough.

Jarmel

Banned
Imagine you run a team of 100 people, and each of those people costs you $4000 a month to keep employed (this figure is too low at 48k a year; taxes, benefits, and costs for office space and equipment would certainly make this figure higher). Imagine you put on a Kickstarter for 2 months to raise $1,000,000.

You make $1,000,000. Minus the fees. Minus the $800,000 you just burned through during the Kickstarter. You've got maybe $100,000 left, which is enough to employ a quarter of your studio for another month or all of your studio for another week.

Well I think the major issue here is we don't know how far along the developers were. IIRC Arkham City had a playable alpha a year before release. We don't even know if Prey 2 has that or if they were going to completely miss the 2012 release date. Unless one of the developers speaks out I doubt we'll ever know.

That said if they wanted to kickstart it, I do see some ways of doing it. If they were on target for a fall release date(Aug/Sep) then they might have something playable. They could take a slice and release it as a 'demo' to generate interest for the kickstart. Then once it's in a buggy but playable state they could release it to the public. The PC modding/bug fixing community can be very good at what they do and some possible sales could help the developers stick around for a little longer for bug-testing.

None of this is going to happen though without Zenimax's say and I very much doubt they will give it.

LuchaShaq

Banned

Not to mention the cut kickstarter takes, and the massive cut of kickstarter money is taken by taxes at the end of the year.

So, no news yet...

Here's a crazy thought, what if they made the game downloadable? Put it on Games on Demand and the PS Store, like EA did with Crysis.

Heck, they can scale it down or cut the unfinished parts, wrap up development and start bugfixing and then throw it up for 30 bucks. I'd buy it.

I just really want it to come out.

clockpunk

So, no news yet...

Here's a crazy thought, what if they made the game downloadable? Put it on Games on Demand and the PS Store, like EA did with Crysis.

Heck, they can scale it down or cut the unfinished parts, wrap up development and start bugfixing and then throw it up for 30 bucks. I'd buy it.

I feel the exact same about This is Vegas - still not given up hope...

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
So, no news yet...

That I think what just happened to I am Alive, and that turned to be a huge amount of poop, I don't want Prey 2 to be butchered like that too.

Spoo

I just don't feel like Human Head can get this game off the ground without 3D Realms giving them emotional support.

would be hilarious if it was cancelled. after publishing total trash from third party developers for years and years; rage, hunted the demon's forge, brink, rogue warrior (this was even moved devs from zombie to rebellion, and rushed out as a piece of shit for the second round of development lmao), wet, star trek conquest, st legacy, st tactical assault, st encounters, call of cthulhu dark corners of the earth (oh wait, this one is awesome), breeders cup world thoroughbred championships, ihra professional drag racing 2005, ihra drag racing 2004, pirates of the caribbean the legend of jack sparrow, this is the game they cancel. hehe

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
How far do we reckon this was in development?

How far do we reckon this was in development?

It was announced back in 08, and Human Head was revealed as a developer back then, but when Zenimax picked them up in 09, they appear toy rebooted the entire project and went in this direction. My guess would be 9-12 months of actual production and then the rest for prototyping, restarting development and all the related issues with that.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
would be hilarious if it was cancelled. after publishing total trash from third party developers for years and years; rage, hunted the demon's forge, brink, rogue warrior (this was even moved devs from zombie to rebellion, and rushed out as a piece of shit for the second round of development lmao), wet, star trek conquest, st legacy, st tactical assault, st encounters, call of cthulhu dark corners of the earth (oh wait, this one is awesome), breeders cup world thoroughbred championships, ihra professional drag racing 2005, ihra drag racing 2004, pirates of the caribbean the legend of jack sparrow, this is the game they cancel. hehe

you forgot some stuff they had done for wii. It has 1.0 or 2.0 on metacritic.

Muzzy

When the first previews came out in March 2011, some magazines wrote that it has been in development for 3 years.

Also from last year, I found this article from Isthmus - The Daily Page.

Turns out that Rhinehart and company spent their post-Prey time working on some projects that never ended up seeing the light of day, improving their tech, refining their game design skills -- and surviving the devastating 2007 fire that seriously damaged the company's studio on Commercial Avenue.
Human Head began work on the game in 2009, and now has a staff of slightly less than 50 working hard to meet Prey 2's expected 2012 release date.

Tess3ract

Banned
I'm glad they canceled it, they had a really interesting setting/theme (native american) with prey 1 and they just threw the whole thing out and made it some generic shit.

derFeef

I'm glad they canceled it, they had a really interesting setting/theme (native american) with prey 1 and they just threw the whole thing out and made it some generic shit.

Uhh are you familiar with the game at all? I had the same opinion until I saw the demo... amazing.

Uhh are you familiar with the game at all? I had the same opinion until I saw the demo... amazing.

I think the only way to jump to the generic point would be judging solely on that magazine cover back then. Even just looking at a single screenshot shows something that is still pretty unique in terms of visuals.

Gravijah

did you guys even follow the game? i was one of those "oh god they're going to ruin prey" people at first, too, but what we saw was such a unique take on the genre.

Atomski

Completely disagree..

Prey one was extremely short and to be honest I felt like it was damned awful. When I heard the name Prey 2 I had no interest based on playing the first game, but once I saw the trailer and game play vids I realized it looked far more interesting than the first one...

Jasoneyu

I dunno man, Prey 1 having an interesting protagonist/distinct setting didn't stop it from feeling somewhat generic. It had interesting concepts like portals/gravity/size changes but it all became a generic corridor shooter in the end.

With Prey 2 it really felt like it was going in an interesting direction.

Tess3ract

Banned
Turok is summed up by "meh"

Completely disagree..

Prey one was extremely short and to be honest I felt like it was damned awful. When I heard the name Prey 2 I had no interest based on playing the first game, but once I saw the trailer and game play vids I realized it looked far more interesting than the first one...

I dunno about you, I thought the first game was awesome.

Joke post?
Nope.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
You seriously look at Prey 1 and 2, and think Prey 1 looks more appealing? You need your head examined, Tess3ract.

You think a Native American stereotype walking through anus doors and fighting slimy monsters is more appealing than being the only human bounty hunter on a huge intergalactic trade planet?

Hesemonni

Banned
What other game had native american themes?

Oh right, none.
183eb1af12c3f77127a31oz5zr.jpg

Sup.

Tess3ract

Banned

Derrick01

Banned
Yeah Prey 2 was so generic. It couldn't separate itself from all the sci fi open world FPS games with free running and parkour.

It should have stuck to being a normal shooter. Those are much rarer and unique.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I fail to see how being a human bounty hunter, hunting down alien criminal scum on an intergalactic trade world is generic. The irony is that Prey 1 was painfully generic, yet that looks unique and special somehow.

thetrin

Has it been confirmed yet? I'm still holding onto hope.

If there is anything truly good in this world, Prey 2 still exists. I don't want to live in a world where it gets canceled.

Though, reading this on Digital Trends made me think:

Bethesda/Zenimax’s “no comment” is discouraging—a publisher saying “no comment on cancellation” means “yes it’s cancelled” in the same way that your mom saying “maybe” means “yes.” This may ultimately be a good thing though. Ties to the largely forgotten Prey could have limited Prey 2’s potential for finding an audience. If it’s cancelled but salvaged and reborn under a different name it could have a better chance at success.

It would actually be a significant boon for the game if they continued making the game, but severed ties with the Prey IP. There wasn't a whole lot they needed to take from the universe anyway. I'd be okay if the core concepts still existed, but it was no longer Prey.

Riposte

I approached this game with the idea with a cautious "too good to be true" attitude. Turned out to be more right than I knew (I thought I would still be getting a interesting shooter a la Deus Ex HR). Ambitious talk and previews rarely resonate with me. I guess that's cynicism?

I also think BioShock Infinite is too good to be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom