• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Prey 2 cancelled, official statement due next week [Up: ZeniMax: No comment.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMaRsu

Banned
What other game had native american themes?

Oh right, none.

What had the native american "theme" had to do with anything? Just because you play as one didn't mean the game was based on a spaceship or whatever and you were killing aliens. Sounds almost as generic as it gets.

( ofcourse Prey 1 wasn't generic but I'm going about this the same way you are with Prey 2. )

Truant

Just relaunch it as a new IP. Makes mroe sense. Prey wasn't that great, and this looks way more interesting while at the same time easier to market.

Struct09

The fact that they moved away from the theme/setting of Prey 1 doesn't matter to me. Prey 2 simply looked like an awesome game.

grkazan12

I really hope that they decide to just re brand it as another or new IP instead of cancelling. It has so much potential. What are the odds of that happening ?

ced

I really hope that they decide to just re brand it as another or new IP instead of cancelling. It has so much potential. What are the odds of that happening ?

I've always said they should have done that in the first place, it's not like Prey was hugely popular.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

They should have done this anyways. I always find it strange that companies make sequels to middling/bad selling games.

Eusis

I also think BioShock Infinite is too good to be true.
To be honest, so long as it's not ridiculously on rails and I get enough power ups/weapons to play with I'll probably be content. Bioshock's my favorite FPS this generation half because it ISN'T a rollercoaster thrill ride, and so Bioshock Infinite would need to become that to most seriously disappoint me.

derFeef

I approached this game with the idea with a cautious "too good to be true" attitude. Turned out to be more right than I knew (I thought I would still be getting a interesting shooter a la Deus Ex HR). Ambitious talk and previews rarely resonate with me. I guess that's cynicism?

I also think BioShock Infinite is too good to be true.

To me Infinite is some very linear and very scripted techdemo... I need to see more to get hyped at all.

You asked what other game has Native American themes, Turok is an answer, a right answer. You can't just say "that game is meh, so it doesn't count."

The last game made by neogaf's very own Bishoptl? Definitely 'meh' by any stretch of imagination.

There's nothing really appealing about it, except for the presence of dinosaurs. Which doesn't mean much when every gunfight feels like shooting dummies that barely move. I realize it's not quite fair to blame a studio for inexperience with UE3 or engaging game design (building on previous iterations) and properly animating the dinosaurs must have cost a huge amount of resources, but in the end, that's what the product was.

And the T-rex fight(s) are extremely annoying. Something between the FOV and your movement speed, but finding some way of avoiding that fucker is almost the entire battle.

It's as the 'making of' vids in Halo 2 Limited Edition put it: "if a game isn't fun for five minutes, it's never going to be fun". Turok has a metacritic rating of 69 btw and is owned by Disney, making it's return to glory very unlikely.

Besides, if you can't contradict the current Turok with the Turoks of old (Tal'Set and the 'racist feather' headbanc and all), there is not much point to the exercise of making one. The last Turok was a typical space marine with dinosaurs game, and not much else. No 'the lost land exists' easter egg or anything to make you at least want a sequel or anything.

The game ultimately 'explains' the planet by citing it as being put on a trajectory of 'hyper evolution' which is never explained, mentioned again, or even relevant in the most basic sense.

Maybe the old Turok games were just lucky. The fog was due to hardware limitations, but it did by accident also provoke a sense of the fog being more like a property of the Lost Land. The moment Turok failed was when the fog went away in Turok Evolution (PS2), in contrast to what you would have expected at the time.
Looking at metacritic and some other sources, it also seems that the industry has not been kind to David Dienstbier's career post-Turok Evolution.

Well, at least the comics returned. (from 2010 and ongoing)

What was the hype for Prey 2?

All I remember seeing was some cgi/demo of chasing some alien.

Was the game supposed to be a open world FPS game or something?
Was there ever any gameplay video released for it?

Nizz

What was the hype for Prey 2?

All I remember seeing was some cgi/demo of chasing some alien.

Was the game supposed to be a open world FPS game or something?
Was there ever any gameplay video released for it?
The hype for me was you play as a bounty hunter in a Blade Runner type alien world. The movement in the game was similar to Mirror's Edge. The way you could get around the world looked really interesting. Climbing to upper levels, using a jet pack I believe to get down to other areas.

It just looked really cool. It wasn't a modern military shooter (nothing against them because I like them). Something different.

Some gameplay:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPMr...0aMSzB_TGkaXpv9A&index=150&feature=plpp_video

Maybe they cancelled Doom and Prey 2 because next-gen system is close

Carmack always claimed they were developing Doom with a contingency plan of moving it to next gen if development dragged too long.

Of course that always sounded terrible to me, as I envisioned a "last gen in HD" graphics scenario like early 360 games, rather than being built ground up for next gen.

mudkyp

I got to see Prey 2 at Quakecon last year. The played a live demo for a good 20 - 30 minutes and it was cool as hell. Me and my friend couldn't quit talking about it for the rest of day after watching that demo.

I will be heartbroken if Prey 2 is actually cancelled.

GameE

Wouldnt bethesda just say its not cancelled if its not cancelled? Either its cancelled or something bad is going on there.

McLovin

It looked so cool though, hopefully they sleeping dogs it. This is one case where I think the Prey IP hurts it. Don't get me wrong I loved the first game, but I don't think it sold well.

Dueck

Banned
I absolutely hated Prey. Let's play as a self-hating Native American that bitches at his grandfather over everything and spends all his time at the bar. He was less likable than Kratos.

Prey 2, on the other hand, was/is the game I am looking forward to most in 2012 (after ME3).

Terrible news. Every single person I've shown Prey 2 to has liked it a lot. Still hoping for the best, I guess. I hope everything turns out OK.

HumanHead must just have some bad luck.

I was actually in the same shitty hotel with their CEO during last years E3.

I came back from drinking one night to see him arguing with the hotel because they checked him out of his room and put someone else in it. All of his shit was missing including some expensive recording equipment.

They were accusing him of not staying in the hotel and trying to sneak into someone elses room. And since I had seen him checking in earlier in the day I went off on a drunk rage at the hotel clerk. Hah.

I'm not sure how that eventually turned out. Didn't run across the dude for the rest of the event.

Maybe they have some bad karma still lingering for haunting our dreams with vagina doors.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I absolutely hated Prey. Let's play as a self-hating Native American that bitches at his grandfather over everything and spends all his time at the bar. He was less likable than Kratos.

Prey 2, on the other hand, was/is the game I am looking forward to most in 2012 (after ME3).

Kratos isn't supposed to be likable. He is supposed to be a despicable douche. Play Uncharted if you want likable protagonists.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So I take it us not getting any news means this rumor is false?

Unless someone comes out and says "The game is still in development.", the safe assumption is it's canned and they just delayed the cancellation announcement, possibly because they're trying to sell the project.

Haven't really played attention to this game but after hearing about this rumour I've looked up on it and it looks really great, both artistically and gameplay wise. It would be a shame if this rumour is true, and hopefully if it is the game gets picked up by another developer/publisher. Would be a waste otherwise.

Jarmel

Banned
Unless someone comes out and says "The game is still in development.", the safe assumption is it's canned and they just delayed the cancellation announcement, possibly because they're trying to sell the project.

Not sure who would pick this up other than EA or Activision.

subversus

Take2.

they like long risky projects straight from development hell.

also lol @ Activision. Those guys won't publish anything unless it's guaranteed to sell millions and millions.

They may have pulled it and gave it to another developer.

Jarmel

Banned
Take2.

they like long risky projects straight from development hell.

also lol @ Activision. Those guys won't publish anything unless it's guaranteed to sell millions and millions.

I'm just talking about who would even have the necessary funds to buy it from Zenimax. Take2 would be a good possibility but they already have BI coming out later this year so it would push Prey 2 to sometime next year.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

EA and Activision are highly unlikely, Activision already an sold open world game to Square-Enix not too long ago (Sleeping Dogs/True Crime) and EA don't buy games, they just copy other people crap,and Prey 2 is not what EA make nowdays.

However Take-Two Interactive already published Prey 1 and they bought L.A Noire from Sony and put it under Rockstar brand, and Prey IP which is sci-fi open world will be a prefect fit with Bioshock and GTA for Take2 group.

But I'm not sure if Zenimax is selling, they didn't do it before ,they sound very aggressive about their own IPs (and also because other posts here say they don't want anyone else to use their engines..even the old one like Tech 4)

MarkusRJR

Has there been any actual confirmation of this? I don't understand why there is 17 pages in this thread if it's not even confirmed...

*goes back to ignoring this thread until actual news about Prey 2 comes out*

subversus

I'm just talking about who would even have the necessary funds to buy it from Zenimax. Take2 would be a good possibility but they already have BI coming out later this year so it would push Prey 2 to sometime next year.

if Take 2 buys this it will push Prey 2 to the next-gen, lol

probably for the best.

I agree with everybody else, EA and Activision wouldn't do a thing with it.

Take 2 might go for it if the game is stacking up well... or maybe Square-Enix/Eidos will pick it up like they did with Sleeping Dogs.

Has there been any actual confirmation of this? I don't understand why there is 17 pages in this thread if it's not even confirmed...

*goes back to ignoring this thread until actual news about Prey 2 comes out*

As has been mentioned, not. Commenting on the rumor is a significant indication.

I agree with everybody else, EA and Activision wouldn't do a thing with it.

Take 2 might go for it if the game is stacking up well... or maybe Square-Enix/Eidos will pick it up like they did with Sleeping Dogs.

It all depends on why Bethesda decided to can it. Activision canned True Crime because they didn't think that it would be a big enough success to justify the effort to release it. This P2 cancellation doesn't really make sense unless it ran into major development trouble. The had a lot of hype going for it whenever it was demoed. So it's hard to imagine that it would be canned for any other reason than it just wasn't turning out the way Human Head originally intended.

Well, my store just reinstated my pre-order and put the game back on its website. Strange.

I also don't recall seeing some of these screenshots before. Or well, I definitely haven't seen that first-person shot before.

eawiq.jpg

bTIvd.jpg

Ko5IR.jpg

nNAF9.jpg

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The deal with Square and Sleeping Dogs was that the game was literally done. There was barely anything that needed to be done.

Prey 2 sounds like it's still in development, and that it's troubled.

subversus

Well, my store just reinstated my pre-order and put the game back on its website. Strange.

I also don't recall seeing some of these screenshots before. Or well, I definitely haven't seen that first-person shot before.

YES THESE ARE NEW

THERE IS HOPE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom