• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Project Beast (From Software/Sony Japan Studio, PS4) [Port begging = ban]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadWolf

I think it might be something to do with it being exclusive, and ppl are interested because it could tilt the balance in the console war (even more so than it already is seeing as Titanfall failed to live up to sales expectations or move systems). Also that Dark Souls 2 was a big seller and critically acclaimed might help.

Its also nice that it will be made from the ground up for the more technically capable console.

Jack cw

But regarding a Demons Souls/ Dark Souls 3, always in mind that the above mentioned points were fullfilled, I am with you. In fact I think that the DS2 backlash party is because of Souls burnout. It's just the first signs. Dark Souls 3 would probably do worse.

Thats with all sequels. More of the same or improvments that turn out to be actual steps backwards. DS2 suffered from absence of many devs that made DS1 and Demons Souls and Dark Souls were the entry to the series for most of the supporters, so expectiations were always ridiculously high. That's why I hope FROM releases Souls related games every 3 years to avoid fatigue as much as possible.

Mr Moose

Who do I ask to get on the hype train? Someone get me on that train.

ibiN6GUZJuyWgM.jpg

Its also nice that it will be made from the ground up for the more technically capable console.

This is another one of those areas where we get to see how Sony is thinking.

Do they make this a PS4 Exclusive and sell systems with it or do they make it available on the PS3 and go for the cash with the larger install base.

Hopefully this stays on the PS4...

Loudninja

Do they make this a PS4 Exclusive and sell systems with it or do they make it available on the PS3 and go for the cash with the larger install base.
Not going to happen, like I said before Sony mostly moved on.

Frostburn

I'm excited for what this can become, still not done with Dark Souls II (PC Version) but if we get some real news at E3 I won't be able to help from being hyped.

sublimit

Banned

if they were going for the larger install bases Killzone,Knack,Infamous would have all been for PS3 as well.

I'm pretty sure this will be PS4 only.

StuBurns

Banned

There's no way it's on PS3.

Thats with all sequels. More of the same or improvments that turn out to be actual steps backwards. DS2 suffered from absence of many devs that made DS1 and Demons Souls and Dark Souls were the entry to the series for most of the supporters, so expectiations were always ridiculously high. That's why I hope FROM releases Souls related games every 3 years to avoid fatigue as much as possible.

Or, ideally, bury the Soul franchise and work on a whole new IP altogether.
Too many sequels have killed more than its share of fine game series; I wish companies and especially players were more open to risk and novelty.

Caderfix

I honestly believe that Sony will go 100% PS4. The PS3 just got DkS2.

Gattsu25

Banned

The rumor is that this is co developed by SCE so it would be an exclusive but I don't understand why anyone would sincerely wish this. More players!

BadWolf

Too many sequels have killed more than its share of fine game series; I wish companies and especially players were more open to risk and novelty.

I don't get this, especially when it comes to a series as gameplay focused as Souls that people re-play many times over.

There is nothing else like the series on the market and I would rather get more of the same instead of nothing at all.

Makes some changes to the formula? Sure. Maybe work on another IP along side it? Why not.

Kill it and go for something completely new? No thanks.

Kane1345

I can't imagine why From Software would team-up with Sony again. I would tell them to piss off for not believing on them the first time. If it turns out that the top dogs of FS have been working with an exclusive the whole time I'll be pissed. Big time.

It would also make me even more dissapointed about Dark Souls 2. Eventhough DS2 nailed the core gameplay it was bland, unimaginetive and repetitive to a fault. Not even near worth all the praise. If it turns out that From Software was focusing most of it's resources on an exclusive, DS2 is nothing more than a cash grab.

If From Software pulls something as stupid as this I'm completely done with them. I'm not going to buy a PS4 because of them. If they do this I'm going to boycott every single one of their products. I won't support them even if I happened to buy a PS4 at some point.

lol, would read again

StuBurns

Banned
The rumor is that this is co developed by SCE so it would be an exclusive but I don't understand why anyone would sincerely wish this. More players!
He means no PS3, not no PC/XBO. As in he doesn't want the game produced with 500mb ram limitations in mind.

Man

Well obviously having it be an exclusive means it's of higher quality on the PS4 platform as the devs can focus on that specific hardware.

Caderfix

I know it sucks that fewer people are going to be able to play it, but being exclusive to Sony also means decent budget, dev time and freedom. Shu himself said they dropped the ball with Demon's, so I'm pretty confident that they'll handle this one really well.

I don't get this, especially when it comes to a series as gameplay focused as Souls that people re-play many times over.

There is nothing else like the series on the market and I would rather get more of the same instead of nothing at all.

Makes some changes to the formula? Sure. Maybe work on another IP along side it? Why not.

Kill it and go for something completely new? No thanks.

Have you played other From Software games besides Demon/Dark Souls ? It's more what I had in mind. Keep the focus on the gameplay, redo/change anything else.
I don't want the Souls series to become the new CoD/AssCreed series, it deserves better.

Shit. I've been avoiding this thread, and decided to peak.

1. Looks awesome. I can't wait to see what this is and may turn out to be.

2. Holy bitterness, Batman. So many bitter posts here, its insane.

People are wishing for more Souls games. The fact that it's exclusive just means that Sony paid for its development and also assisted in its development. Exclusive games are not a new concept.

Samendolaro is just merely saying that he'd prefer the game to be on PS4 and not on PS3 as well.

Judging by the DemonNite and Verendus, as well as the screenshots, the game is a PS4 exclusive.

Hellshy.

I sure hope they dont change strategy and release this on ps3 and ps4. Sony needs yo lead by example. They need to show third parties they can makr money if yhey drop last gen.

Bundy

Banned
I can't imagine why From Software would team-up with Sony again. I would tell them to piss off for not believing on them the first time. If it turns out that the top dogs of FS have been working with an exclusive the whole time I'll be pissed. Big time.

It would also make me even more dissapointed about Dark Souls 2. Eventhough DS2 nailed the core gameplay it was bland, unimaginetive and repetitive to a fault. Not even near worth all the praise. If it turns out that From Software was focusing most of it's resources on an exclusive, DS2 is nothing more than a cash grab.

If From Software pulls something as stupid as this I'm completely done with them. I'm not going to buy a PS4 because of them. If they do this I'm going to boycott every single one of their products. I won't support them even if I happened to buy a PS4 at some point.
lmao Nice one....
Seems like you won't buy any FS games in the future ;-)

The rumor is that this is co developed by SCE so it would be an exclusive but I don't understand why anyone would sincerely wish this.

You want to ensure that fewer players play this game? For console loyalty's sake?

Its not a wish, the question is does Sony want to sell hardware with it.

Microsoft made the mistake of not making Titanfall Exclusive only to the XB1, (they likely couldn't afford it since it was not their IP) But what ended up happening was that most people bought it on PC or for their 360.

Making this exclusive to the PS4 will make this a system seller so if Sony wants to expand its install base then PS4 exclusivity is the way to go.

BadWolf

Have you played other From Software games besides Demon/Dark Souls ? It's more what I had in mind. Keep the focus on the gameplay, redo/change anything else.
I don't want the Souls series to become the new CoD/AssCreed series, it deserves better.

I played Ninja Blade.

More Souls please.

nynt9

Hey yo I want in on the hype train.

Those asking for a Souls clone, check out this upcoming game called Lords of the Fallen. The devs basically say it's a Souls clone with a less oppressive atmosphere.

Lernaean

Banned
From Software just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Dark Souls for either system, nor will they purchase any of From Software's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but From has alienated an entire market with this move.

From, publicly apologize and cancel Beast Souls for PS4 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

11/10 Could read daily.

Jack cw

Marketing and profit decisions. People love their sequels and only a handfull of core gamers are really the ones claiming change or novelty. Something new or risky has the same chance to fial and get rejected by the people as a sequel. With latter you know what the majority expect and have established tools already, production is in line with the project.

kinggroin

Banned
I don't mind exclusive games at all, but only when the hardware the exclusive game is landing on has something different to offer compared to a competition. In this case, the PlayStation 4 is significantly more powerful

I played Ninja Blade.

More Souls please.

No King's Field ? No Shadow Tower ? No Armored Core ?

Pity.

Marketing and profit decisions. People love their sequels and only a handfull of core gamers are really the ones claiming change or novelty.

I wholeheartedly agree - It's especially manifest every time a new Kickstarter project claims to be 'game X meeting game Y'.

Damn, I was getting really hyped by this idea of a SF/Blame! game from some pages ago... ^^;;

Blunderbusses with 1 or 2 shots equivalent to a heavy miracle/sorcery/hex cast that are both difficult to connect with and leave you super open could be amazing.

You should also be able to shoot yourself in the foot if your timing is off.

I can't imagine why From Software would team-up with Sony again. I would tell them to piss off for not believing on them the first time.

This is a great strategy to fuck you over in business. There's nothing personal between Sony and From. I've said at least once that I don't really see why From would want to go back unless Sony is willing to really pay up due to how things went and how well going multiplat did for them. Guess they did! No reason to get that mad about it yet.

Now if they decided to split up two teams to just make similar Souls games, essentially taking away from both experiences in the interest of shelling out more product, yeah then I'll be incredibly disappointed.

TheHall

Demon's Souls with a shotgun sounds awesome, until i remembered the one time i was dual wielding crossbows and the reload time was just horrible.

Lernaean

Banned
Blunderbusses with 1 or 2 shots equivalent to a heavy miracle/sorcery/hex cast that are both difficult to connect with and leave you super open could be amazing.

You should also be able to shoot yourself in the foot if your timing is off.

Idk about shooting yourself on the foot :)P) but yea, i agree. There's nothing OP about a shotgun, it can act exactly like a staff, have limited shots you attune ammo types to and would be 'lock on and cast' instead of 'reload an kill everything' as some are thinking.

pelican

From Software just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Dark Souls for either system, nor will they purchase any of From Software's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but From has alienated an entire market with this move.

From, publicly apologize and cancel Beast Souls for PS4 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Best thing I've read all day.

/doffs hat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom