• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Project Beast (From Software/Sony Japan Studio, PS4) [Port begging = ban]

Status
Not open for further replies.
To those talking about Kings Field Im almost certain that From + Sony is working on a morpheus compat Kings Field game.

Works perfectly with the first person view and it can move units based off the fact that its one of the original series, which is where the Souls series comes from in a lot of ways with general design outside of the souls aspect of course. The original demons souls had nods to the title also. For the core gaming group to get behind the morpheus in Japan and the West that would be one way to go about it.

Oh you silly ;p

Wait... you are serious ? Give me some time to think about it o_O

Is there still room on the hype train for me? I've loved the souls games since Demon's souls and have been following this amazing thread from the start.

Aliand

Banned
ibiN6GUZJuyWgM.jpg

Let me onboard ! :)

Orayn

The sequel idea is interesting.

What if it follows the good ending of Demon's Souls? The fog clears, the soul arts are lost, and the protagonist succeeds in holding the fabric of reality together, but just encountering the Old One and bringing back a "souvenir" has a corrupting influence that plunges Boletaria (or the whole world) into chaos again hundreds of years later.

MMaRsu

Banned
Player used the souls of the beast to transform the world back to the way it should be. The world of Beasts is reborn. The player mus traverse thise world.

omg what if

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
To those talking about Kings Field Im almost certain that From + Sony is working on a morpheus compat Kings Field game.

Works perfectly with the first person view and it can move units based off the fact that its one of the original series, which is where the Souls series comes from in a lot of ways with general design outside of the souls aspect of course. The original demons souls had nods to the title also. For the core gaming group to get behind the morpheus in Japan and the West that would be one way to go about it.

Give us an approximation of your certainty with a line graph, please.

Horns

It looks like the PhyreEngine that the other Souls titles used. Assuming that it's the same engine, is there any more about what new technical capabilities it offers?

If DS2 will not be ready until 2015 I'd think Sony would release a DS1 definitive edition for the PS4.

It would be a good way to keep the hype level high

blackflag

I can't imagine why From Software would team-up with Sony again. I would tell them to piss off for not believing on them the first time. If it turns out that the top dogs of FS have been working with an exclusive the whole time I'll be pissed. Big time.

It would also make me even more dissapointed about Dark Souls 2. Eventhough DS2 nailed the core gameplay it was bland, unimaginetive and repetitive to a fault. Not even near worth all the praise. If it turns out that From Software was focusing most of it's resources on an exclusive, DS2 is nothing more than a cash grab.

If From Software pulls something as stupid as this I'm completely done with them. I'm not going to buy a PS4 because of them. If they do this I'm going to boycott every single one of their products. I won't support them even if I happened to buy a PS4 at some point.

Sooooo good. This is why I love these threads.

Orayn

It looks like the PhyreEngine that the other Souls titles used. Assuming that it's the same engine, is there any more about what new technical capabilities it offers?

Hard to say which route they'll take. It could either be a very recent "vanilla" version of PhyreEngine straight from the source at Sony, the PhyreEngine fork that From Software used on Dark Souls II if they have it up and running on PS4, or maybe some other engine developed in-house by Sony Japan Studio. Depends on who's doing most of the heavy lifting and what they feel most comfortable with, but the odds of it being some PhyreEngine variant are pretty good.

Regardless, I want fancy hats, long coats, basket-hilted swords, and crazy pre-modern firearms.

oRFkTn4.gif

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Oh you silly ;p

Wait... you are serious ? Give me some time to think about it o_O

No I am 100% damned serious. Sure it could be wrong, but when you read the following below you will understand why I came to such a conclusion. They literally have the perfect storm here for a potentially big title to launch with the peripheral itself. Seeing in one of the videos from the GDC? I think it was, showing a guy hitting a wooden dummy is what set off the though right there, that yeah doing something in a fantasy setting is most def what would come out first and whats marketable on both sides now with the popularity behind From Software? Kings Field.

---

A lot of things line up for the whole From + Sony bit for a morpheus supported title.

Popularity of the developer From Software w/ their dark fantasy "souls" series.

From Software + Sony have a working relationship.

From Software has in the past created the Kings Field series which was a first person dungeon crawler.

Morpheus gives players the ability to experience the game from the first person view which includes looking around and the use of arms with the move controllers.

From Software would not have to focus on making AAA graphics and such more if they can nail using the actual mechanics correctly with the VR experience and the use of both arms with the move controllers.

On the business side of things it makes for a highly strong marketing point to the core audience, which is where you would want a lot of initial sales to come from. As these are the folks who are willing to drop a bunch of cash on a product just for a single title alone.
By riding off the popularity of the "Souls" series the fact that From Software would have a "first person" dungeon crawler for the Morpheus would be reason alone for a lot of the people from the fanbase to pick up one just to check it out. Its marketable both in Japan and the West, with how there is a huge influx of new fans of From Software and in Japan there has always been a hardcore group following the company and have wanted a new Kings Field title for quite some time now.

On the side of From Software its a perfect chance for them to push out another IP (that already existed) and try to bring it to the levels of popularity of the Souls series, which can possibly be done if they provide a well done experience with the morpheus. If successful provides not only a solid game for Sony to market for the VR headset, but a new IP for from to build off of again. Also with all the experience gained from working on the Souls titles, there can be various things taken from that and included back into the Kings Field series itself. There is also valuable experience gained from working with the system, allowing From Software to strengthen their own development teams allowing for a larger repertoire of titles that can be produced in the future.

If this rumor is true, it means that Sony understands what the potential behind From Software is and most def internally someone put 1 + 1 together with looking at their past library. Everything lines up for a perfect project and would garner insane hype behind it for marketing.

The reason why Id say most likely it would be a Kings Field game as it would be easier to do first, with the more simple mechanics and nothing overly complex as with balancing such as for example the Shadow Tower series, where you have things like modern weapons thrown into the mix.

Orayn

A lot of things line up for the whole From + Sony bit for a morpheus supported title.

Popularity of the developer From Software w/ their dark fantasy "souls" series.

From Software + Sony have a working relationship.

From Software has in the past created the Kings Field series which was a first person dungeon crawler.

Morpheus gives players the ability to experience the game from the first person view which includes looking around and the use of arms with the move controllers.

From Software would not have to focus on making AAA graphics and such more if they can nail using the actual mechanics correctly with the VR experience and the use of both arms with the move controllers.

On the business side of things it makes for a highly strong marketing point to the core audience, which is where you would want a lot of initial sales to come from. As these are the folks who are willing to drop a bunch of cash on a product just for a single title alone.

By riding off the popularity of the "Souls" series the fact that From Software would have a "first person" dungeon crawler for the Morpheus would be reason alone for a lot of the people from the fanbase to pick up one just to check it out.

Its marketable both in Japan and the West, with how there is a huge influx of new fans of From Software and in Japan there has always been a hardcore group following the company and have wanted a new Kings Field title for quite some time now.

On the side of From Software its a perfect chance for them to push out another IP (that already existed) and try to bring it to the levels of popularity of the Souls series, which can possibly be done if they provide a well done experience with the morpheus. If successful provides not only a solid game for Sony to market for the VR headset, but a new IP for from to build off of again.

I'd love to see From do another first person RPG with VR support, though I could see it as PC/PS4 with Oculus support if they did it themselves.

The world deserves better than Elder Scrolls' take on first person melee combat. From Software needs to do this to make the guys at Bethesda weep bitter tears at the inadequacy of what they've done so far.

injurai

Banned
Hmmmmm.... I kind of just wanted Demons Souls 2 or Dark Souls 3. Guns are for ladies.

Seems to me the industry thinks games and guns are for guys...

Anyways I'd rather something very differentiated from either Demon or Dark. It still looks very dark fantasy if those pics are real, I think I want to see something even more differentiated from what they have put out. I like those ideas of Cyberhorror that people where throwing around the last couple pages.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I'd love to see From do another first person RPG with VR support, though I could see it as PC/PS4 with Oculus support if they did it themselves.

Doubt it, Sony wouldnt be stupid and let that chance slip away. Plus they would be offering a lot to From allowing them to work with the hardware which then also builds their experience with it growing the potential for future titles. If Sony makes it a joint project the chances of them allowing From to also support the Oculus on the PC would be slim.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
If Sony is trying to bring back the feels from the bygone PS1 days a King's Field developed purely for or with Morpheus in mind would be... Ugh. No words for how amazing that'd be.

PirateKing

If Sony is trying to bring back the feels from the bygone PS1 days a King's Field developed purely for or with Morpheus in mind would be... Ugh. No words for how amazing that'd be.
I also wouldn't mind that PS2 game they made. What was it called... Something Tower Abyss?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom