• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Project Beast (From Software/Sony Japan Studio, PS4) [Port begging = ban]

Status
Not open for further replies.

gioGAF

I can't understand all the whining about item burden in Demon's Souls. They practically throw the Ring of Herculean Strength in your face at the beginning of the game. The item burden system made sense, don't carry EVERYTHING wherever you go, plan ahead.

I can understand people being annoyed by the "inconvenience", but it is still a well executed system. It adds to the sense of oppression when playing the game, you pick stuff up while progressing through a level, but if you pick everything up, you might not be able to pick stuff up later in the level. You as a player have to choose what is more important. You have to plan ahead, you have to realize you will be punished for not planning ahead, etc.

I think more people would have been okay with item burden if you could have deposited/withdrawn items at Arch Stones as well as Stockpile Thomas.

Grinchy

Banned
I can't understand all the whining about item burden in Demon's Souls. They practically throw the Ring of Herculean Strength in your face at the beginning of the game. The item burden system made sense, don't carry EVERYTHING wherever you go, plan ahead.

I can understand people being annoyed by the "inconvenience", but it is still a well executed system. It adds to the sense of oppression when playing the game, you pick stuff up while progressing through a level, but if you pick everything up, you might not be able to pick stuff up later in the level. You as a player have to choose what is more important. You have to plan ahead, you have to realize you will be punished for not planning ahead, etc.

I think more people would have been okay with item burden if you could have deposited/withdrawn items at Arch Stones as well as Stockpile Thomas.

In DeS, you had 2 ring slots and one of them was very often taken up by the cling ring. To have to use that other ring at all times just to be able to pick up loot that you came across is not a fun mechanic. It's just there to pad out the game. If you went through a lot of the zone and now you can't pick up loot anymore, I guess you have to warp back and unload, then start at the beginning of the zone again. Yay, our game is longer now!

It's a bad mechanic in a game like this IMO. I think it would be a big step back to see it return.

Akainu

It feels like busywork depositing stuff with Thomas every time I come back to the Nexus.

If item burden returns, I at least hope your current equipment doesn't count as part of your item load. No need to penalize heavy weapons and armor even more.
Item management in dark souls was nothing but busy work. Stockpile Thomas at least had the good sense to arrange your things.

In DeS, you had 2 ring slots and one of them was very often taken up by the cling ring. To have to use that other ring at all times just to be able to pick up loot that you came across is not a fun mechanic. It's just there to pad out the game. If you went through a lot of the zone and now you can't pick up loot anymore, I guess you have to warp back and unload, then start at the beginning of the zone again. Yay, our game is longer now!

It's a bad mechanic in a game like this IMO. I think it would be a big step back to see it return.
That'd be your fault for not dumping things before hand.

One thing I just realized is you don't have to carry forging materials on you, the blacksmiths will forge stuff using them straight from stockpile Thomas. So that has cut down on my item burden significantly.

Item management in dark souls was nothing but busy work. Stockpile Thomas at least had the good sense to arrange your things.

Yeah the system in Dark Souls 1 is terrible. Is it that way in Dark Souls 2 as well? Much prefer the stockpile Thomas method.

It would be kinda cool to see them implement a system like Resident Evil 4's where item management was like a really fun meta-game. You could upgrade your item capacity and so on to hold more stuff, with certain items not taking up space (like keys and consumable souls).

Robot Pants

It can work in Dark Souls because you can access a boundless box at any bonfire which are far more frequent than having to travel to stockpile Thomas every time then travel back.
It was terrible in Demons Souls. It can work in conjunction with the Boundless Box but I rather it just never return.

Ravage

I just hope they show ample gameplay footage during E3. The game looks like it has been in development for a fair amount of time.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Nah I'm sure it will be a Souls game in name. Thats kind of a brand name and Sony and FROM would be crazy not to capitalise on it, especially when it clearly has the same mechanics and maybe even structure to previous games.

I see what you're saying, but you make it sound so cold and business-y! I would respect their choice to brand it differently, and not just slap the Souls sticker on everything in order to turn some heads. I would hope people admire the base mechanics and unique atmosphere of these games rather than a title pandering to long-time fans.

Besides, maybe it would be tricky with how Demon's Souls was originally handled by Sony/Atlus/etc. Just calling it "Something Souls" for the sake of it would feel cheap at this point, especially considering how many games use "soul" in their titles these days.

Y'know, I would really like this as a change of direction for the series. Hunting were-beasts and succubi in the foggy gas-lit streets of an abandoned Georgian-era town would be awesome. Kind of like an update of Nightmare Creatures, and an interesting juxtaposition to The Order: 1886.

My friend saw these screens and immediately looked up Nightmare Creatures for me! Funnily enough, the original Dark Souls reminded him of Deathtrap Dungeon (evidently he was a massive PS1 fan). Again, I'd say this looks less like a "change of direction for the series" and more the director/team trying something different alongside the established Dark Souls franchise. As others have said, From have a lot of coverage now - they can make what they like and call it what they like and they'll still get a decent following.

VertPin

Okay guys, I have been reading this topic NON stop since it first leaked on page one. I haven't made anything but one post due to school work and busy life. Anyways, can somebody put me on the hype train? I have no skills at Photoshop and I would love to be apart of the train.
I know this is weird, but for the matter I made Project Beast/PS4 Cupcakes. I'm no baker, or fancy artist...so it came out really bad looking (but good!), but I just wanted to share with you guys. As dumb as it may sound, but I kind of want to tweet this to Sony/From Software.
azTCrup.jpg
I deserve to be on the train now, right?

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Okay guys, I have been reading this topic NON stop since it first leaked on page one. I haven't made anything but one post due to school work and busy life. Anyways, can somebody put me on the hype train? I have no skills at Photoshop and I would love to be apart of the train.
I know this is weird, but for the matter I made Project Beast/PS4 Cupcakes. I'm no baker, or fancy artist...so it came out really bad looking (but good!), but I just wanted to share with you guys. As dumb as it may sound, but I kind of want to tweet this to Sony/From Software.

LoL hahaha... That's some crazy hype level right there.

"I baked it into my foooooooooood!"

Superflat

God I wish I had some sweet baked goods in my house right now. The figure is a nice touch!

Zomba13

Of course GAF has an item burden defence force. There's probably a Hitler defence force here too.

If you like item burden/encumbrance your are literally worse than Hitler. Literally.

Man, those look so good bro. I wish I was at home right now, those cupcakes looks so freaking awesome.
You and I should make some for the Uncharted, MGSV or AC Unity reveal. : P

Wow. This thread is still going strong.

So, what would they call this game. They can't possibly call it "_______ Souls," right? Right? It would be kind of crazy if they did.

PirateKing

I guess the only thing that'll make everyone have a big reaction, more than revealing the game itself, would be if the game turns out to be multiplat.

Wow. This thread is still going strong.

So, what would they call this game. They can't possibly call it "_______ Souls," right? Right? It would be kind of crazy if they did.

For marketing and sales purposes it absolutely will have a *Souls* in the title. Franchise has mainstream mind share now.

I really hope this game is different. Same ____ Souls feeling, but sufficiently different to appear new and fresh even to a Souls series veteran: one of my complaints about DkS2 is that it's not different enough, and feels relatively easy to an aged Souls player.

Souls' Souls.

I was just thinking. I hope item burden is back.
Oh god please no, it's simply great that they got rid of that useless mechanic and abstracted away the whole inventory management thing.

People keep saying item burden added strategy yet I get this feeling not a single person here can think of a time in any playthrough where this holds true. Even at Soul Level 1 it's basically just busy work.

At soul level 1 you can still carry a fuckton of spice and grass and a variety of weapons. You can't honestly tell me you ever seriously thought about what you were carrying thanks to item burden beyond "well I gotta offload this shit because I never use it ever".

FFS I have a friend who has beaten the game at SL1 NG+8 with pure black world tendency and even he thinks it adds nothing to the game but tedium.

People keep saying item burden added strategy yet I get this feeling not a single person here can think of a time in any playthrough where this holds true. Even at Soul Level 1 it's basically just busy work.

At soul level 1 you can still carry a fuckton of spice and grass and a variety of weapons. You can't honestly tell me you ever seriously thought about what you were carrying thanks to item burden beyond "well I gotta offload this shit because I never use it ever".

FFS I have a friend who has beaten the game at SL1 NG+8 with pure black world tendency and even he thinks it adds nothing to the game but tedium.

In dark souls you can just change your outfit / weapon / items depending on the next monster you'll encounter. Not in Demons souls. Your outfit / item choice was crucial for the whole level

In dark souls you can just change your outfit / weapon / items depending on the next monster you'll encounter. Not in Demons souls. Your outfit / item choice was crucial for the whole level

What pretend world are we living in where this is true? You could easily pack at least one extra armor set and weapons and still be fine. You're basically lying to me at this point. Not once did I ever encounter problems because I decided to carry some extra gear for the next boss. Also enemies in Dark Souls are not exactly so wildly different to where it would even make sense to keep changing armor, especially seeing how you generally only upgrade a set or two that you stick with unless you're a huge fan of making everything a fucking tedious grind. And if you think picking a set or two for one world and then switching it for the next is something that counts as smart design you're out of your freakin' mind. Oh so instead of being able to carry everything I can just carry everything I need plus a bit extra then switch it for everything I need and then a bit extra for the next world and the next world and the next....

You're arguing for this thing where strategy never actually existed to get rid of a problem that isn't even really much of a problem.

Kieli

I absolutely agree. Item burden is just busy work. I don't care for it. Let me carry infinite items.

Do limit me in what I can wear, though...

As far as titles go, I'd love if it were "Demon's Souls - Subtitle", to signify its origins and reflect the new setting and gameplay elements.

Swap out Demon's with Dark if we've all been wrong and it's multiplat.

Soriku

As far as titles go, I'd love if it were "Demon's Souls - Subtitle", to signify its origins and reflect the new setting and gameplay elements.

Swap out Demon's with Dark if we've all been wrong and it's multiplat.

That sounds spinoff-y...

I think most people have bought into Beast's Souls.

If it's a completely new setting and the lore isn't focused on demons, there's no reason to go back to the DeS name.

Artorias

Banned

Cake Souls: Prepare to Snack edition

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
This is wonderful! Good work, sir.

I love that Hype Train boss pic. Miyazaki looks so damn happy xD

jaosobno

giphy.gif

oldboss

The character immediately reminded me of DeS's character design. The wait for E3 has been unbearable since this topic was created... I think I'll just plunge into DaS II again to ease the pain.

There's one thing that has been bothering me tough, where is the shotgun supposed to be in these pictures? Can't distinguish it :/.

Brohan

The character immediately reminded me of DeS's character design. The wait for E3 has been unbearable since this topic was created... I think I'll just plunge into DaS II again to ease the pain.

There's one thing that has been bothering me tough, where is the shotgun supposed to be in these pictures? Can't distinguish it :/.

You can see it pretty clearly in his left hand in the first picture in the OP.

I've gotten used to it after waiting for FFVersus and The Last Guardian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom